Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1333380 - 12/25/09 01:30 AM Review of Touch: The Toccata Project
Cuccho Offline

What a Devilishly Clever Idea!,
December 20, 2009
By J Scott Morrison (Middlebury VT, USA)

Programming a CD takes a certain creativity and pianist Philip Amalong has scored a coup. He has found a CD's-worth of piano toccatas written by American composers and recorded them. A 'toccata', of course, is a 'touch piece' (as translated from the Italian) and has come to mean, at least for keyboard works, a piece which is fast, driving, muscular and showy. Toccatas are extrovert and rhythmic. They leave the audience gasping at the virtuosity of the performer and are often chosen as an encore because they tend to leave the audience impressed and invigorated. Amalong must have looked long and hard to find the pieces on this disc.

The composers of the toccatas featured here make up a Who's Who of American composers of the 20th and 21st century: Ned Rorem, George Antheil, Lee Hoiby, Irving Fine, Leo Sowerby, Lowell Liebermann, Benjamin Lees, Roy Harris, Gian Carlo Menotti, Robert Muczynski, Emma Lou Diemer, Raymond Lewenthal, Wallinford Riegger, Vincent Persichetti and James Bastien. The booklet annotator, Mark Louis Lehman, also added a charming two-voice toccata with surprising metric complications. Most of the music here could probably be classified as neoclassic in style, but within that rubric there is a wide variation of construction. Not surprisingly, for instance, Rorem, best known as one of the most inspired composers of American art songs, wrote a toccata that contains lyrical sections. Vincent Persichetti, the composer of probably the finest set of piano sonatas by any American composer, contributed three 'toccatinas', none lasting much over two minutes, which manage to be very different from each other: the first scurries, the second has sharp edges, and the third is impressionistic. Wallingford Riegger's Toccata is a study in chords of the fourth and fifth in moto perpetuo. George Antheil is represented by two toccatas, the first with nonstop alternating left and right hand chords, the second is even faster with breathless melodic notes hidden amongst nonstop chords.

Gian Carlo Menotti wrote a Ricercare and Toccata on a theme from his opera 'The Old Maid and the Thief'. The Bachian Ricerare is an island of achingly beautiful melodic repose in this program of otherwise frantic toccata-ness. The following Toccata cleverly continues the theme of the Ricercare with an overlay of brilliant figuration. Lee Hoiby, one of our best opera composers, has, unlike Menotti, written a great deal for piano, being a marvelous pianist himself. His Toccata, Op. 1, is a marvelous combination of grandeur, rhythmic invention and intriguing structure. Strangely this is the first recording of this wonderful piece. Irving Fine's 'Little Toccata' is a one-minute elfin, spare and neoclassic charmer. (It is also known in an orchestral version.) Leo Sowerby's 1941 toccata is marked to be played 'defiantly' and contains dissonant full chords that sometimes evoke the sounds of the organ. Lowell Liebermann's Toccata is from his 'Album for the Young' and is intended for young performers. It is sprightly and sassy and not at all 'simple' sounding.

Benjamin Lees is one of our underappreciated composers who, I'm happy to say, is getting a bit more attention now. His Toccata reminds one at times of the piano music of Prokofiev with its tongue-out sarcasm. This is one of my favorites on this album. Roy Harris enjoyed huge acclaim during his life but his music has tended to take a back seat to others' music in recent times. His Toccata is polytonal and metrically complicated and evokes the wide open spaces of his native Oklahoma and adopted state of California. Robert Muczynski's Toccata appears fairly often on recital programs. It is a spiky moto perpetuo that usually brings audiences out of the seats. Emma Lou Diemer has been best-known to me for her choral works, but her piano writing in her 'Serenade/Toccata' is impressive indeed. The 'Serenade/Toccata' begins lyrically and builds to a grand and stirring finale. Raymond Lewenthal is best known, of course, as a virtuoso pianist who, among other things, introduced many of us to the marvelous piano music of Alkan The Legendary Pianist Raymond Lewenthal plays Alkan & Liszt. His Toccata alla Scarlatti is a charming faux-baroque whirlwind in 5/8. Robert Bastien's pounding Toccata ends the disc with 'Indian' warpath music.

One must say a word about not only the cleverness of Philip Amalong's programming but his invigorating playing on this disc. I'd not known of him before but am definitely signing up for any further discs he decides to make.

J Scott Morrison

http://www.amazon.com/Touch-Toccata-Project-Rorem/product-reviews/B002RS7N8K

Touch: The Toccata Project
Post 1900 Piano Toccatas
Volume I: American Composers

The result of a recording and performance project of selected piano toccatas by North American composers

The recording, released November 10, 2009 by Albany Records, features twenty toccatas including world premiere recordings of toccatas by George Antheil, Lee Hoiby, Vincent Persichetti, James Bastien, Leo Sowerby, and a toccatina composed by Mark Louis Lehman for the project.

Available internationally and on all music retail sites as CD or digital download

TOUCH: The Toccata Project Volume I: American Composers

What compels a pianist to sit in front of a thousand pounds of wood and metal for hours a day and play with its sounds? Playing the piano, like any instrument, is more than an aural, intellectual or emotional experience. It is an activity, centered on motion of the body, arms, hands, and of course, fingers. This motion and tactile connection to the piano becomes our obsession, our daily run, our quixotic search for an ideal and sublime experience. We must touch the piano to make it work its magic. We then crave the sounds that it makes.

Toccatas, or “touch pieces,” are percussive and motoric, splashy and fleeting. A toccata is all momentum and spinning motion, like a locomotive, rarely stopping until reaching its destination. It is not surprising that toccatas returned to fashion in the 20th century as the machine age evolved into the technological age at an ever accelerating pace—composers respond to the milieu of their time.

I am often asked why I’m attracted to toccatas. My best answer: I like the way they “feel.” Both in my hands and ears. Hopefully it’s a healthy compulsion because I’m eager to continue my exploration of the post-1900 toccata—there are hundreds of exciting touch pieces that deserve to be played and heard.

Philip Amalong
July 2009

1 Toccata Ned Rorem (2:59)
2 Toccata No. 1 George Antheil (1:53)
3 Toccata Op. 1 Lee Hoiby (5:19)
4 Little Toccata Irving Fine (1:09)
5 Toccata Leo Sowerby (3:27)
6 Toccata Lowell Liebermann (1:07)
7 Toccata No. 2 George Antheil (2:16)
8 Toccata Benjamin Lees (2:15)
9 Toccata Roy Harris (4:31)
10 Toccatina Mark Louis Lehman (2:36)
11 Ricercare Gian Carlo Menotti (3:27)
12 Toccata Gian Carlo Menotti (3:11)
13 Toccata Robert Muczynski (3:20)
14 Serenade/Toccata Emma Lou Diemer (7:36)
15 Toccata alla Scarlatti Raymond Lewenthal (3:27)
16 Toccata Wallingford Riegger (0:56)
17 Toccatina No. 1 Vincent Persichetti (2:25)
18 Toccatina No. 2 Vincent Persichetti (1:56)
19 Toccatina No. 3 Vincent Persichetti (1:34)
20 Toccata James Bastien (1:33)

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1333465 - 12/25/09 08:35 AM Re: Review of Touch: The Toccata Project [Re: Cuccho]
PartyPianist Offline

I like toccatas as well, but I have never heard of any of those composers, nor am I aware of their music. If you'd like cooperation from the deadbeats & forum lovers, why not pop up a music score or two? There's ample talent here!

To compare anyone with Prokofiev is a "big pitch". Though he wrote his Sarcasms, Prokofiev's music was for the larger part reflective. Indeed some might argue he was progressive upon analysis of the unfinished Sonata number 10 in C minor.

Bach WTC book 2 no 15 G major, no 20 A minor, no 22 Bb Minor
Mozart A minor Sonata K310
Mendelssohn Op 35 preludes and fuges
Busoni Carmen Fantasy
Rachmaninov Bb prelude OP 23 no 2
Lyapunov Humoreske Op 34
and others

#1333502 - 12/25/09 10:15 AM Re: Review of Touch: The Toccata Project [Re: PartyPianist]
Kreisler Offline

Loc: Iowa City, IA
The Lees, Diemer, and Muczynski toccatas get played a fair bit. They're aren't quite as difficult as the Ravel or Prokofiev, but are all still very effective pieces.
"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed

#1333694 - 12/25/09 05:51 PM Re: Review of Touch: The Toccata Project [Re: Cuccho]
wr Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Cuccho
Raymond Lewenthal is best known, of course, as a virtuoso pianist who, among other things, introduced many of us to the marvelous piano music of Alkan The Legendary Pianist Raymond Lewenthal plays Alkan & Liszt. His Toccata alla Scarlatti is a charming faux-baroque whirlwind in 5/8.

And guess what... Lewenthal recorded a toccata album, too. It was an LP from 1957 on the Westminster label. I don't know if it ever was reissued on CD, and it appears to be one of the rare things not yet on YouTube. FWIW, here are the contents -

Delia Ciaia: Toccata in G minor.
Bach: Toccata in C minor.
Czerny: Toccata in C, Op. 92.
Alkan: Toccatina in C minor, Op. 75.
Schumann: Toccata in C, Op. 7.
Prokofiev: Toccata in D minor, Op. 11.
Debussy: Toccata from Pour le Piano.
Ravel: Toccata from Le Tomheau de Coaperin.
Jelobinsky: Toccata from Six Short Etudes.
Lewenthal: Toccata alia Scarlatti.
Menotti: Ricercare and Toccata on a Theme from The
Old Maid and The Thief.

#1333740 - 12/25/09 07:56 PM Re: Review of Touch: The Toccata Project [Re: wr]
Cuccho Offline

Yes--the Lewenthal is a wonderful recording, and what a master pianist. The Touch booklet makes reference to the Lewenthal recording, which is a slightly different concept in that it draws on toccatas from 18th and 19th century as well.

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
> Robin Spielberg Playing in Maine! <
-------------------
75,000 Members and Growing!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
122 registered (ajames, AndresD, Abby Pianoman, AndrewJCW, 36251, 38 invisible), 1654 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75478 Members
42 Forums
156053 Topics
2291549 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Time to change teacher?
by AndresD
21 minutes 52 seconds ago
Adjusting Sound During Restringing
by BillJZ
50 minutes 24 seconds ago
My fingers know what my brain has forgotten
by PatrickBl
Yesterday at 08:30 PM
Fully-Rebuilt Pianos Versus New Pianos
by Paul678
Yesterday at 08:12 PM
How do you identify the melody on a sheet of music?
by Alex1
Yesterday at 07:38 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission