Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1333857 - 12/25/09 11:53 PM Yamaha S90XS versus Roland RD700GX--A Brief Comparison
Psalm23 Offline

Loc: Boston
For over a year, I have throughly enjoyed playing my Roland RD700GX. This Christmas I was blessed to obtain the Yamaha S90XS. These are two very different boards and in many ways are more complementary than competitors. Nevertheless, they do have some overlap. By owning both, I am now able to appreciate the strengths of both and recognize areas for improvement.

Clear advantages of the Roland RD700GX as compared to the Yamaha S90XS:

1. The ivory like feel and superior action
2. Much larger screen
3. Much easier sound editing. The Yamaha has equal or better editing but it must be done on a PC.
4. The Organs have tone wheel adjustments that are simple to view and manipulate.
5. The piano and electric piano adjustments options are superior.
7. Expandability with SRX cards
9. Saving and recalling setups are fast and easy
10. Owner's manual and instructions are much clearer

The S90XS has the following advantages:
1. A mind blowing number of voices, arpeggios, and performances
2. Intelligent arpeggios
3. Built in recording
4. Voice input
5. Software/drivers that work with Windows 7 (this has been the single most frustrating thing about Roland--I just don't understand why they are taking so long to get Windows 7 drivers developed.)
7. Guitars, Saxophones, and horns are incredible
8. Lower price
9. Much better at being a one-man-band
10. I love the "Master Mode" and "Favorites" functions

The S90XS has the new S6 piano sounds. To my ears, they sound great and so does Roland's. There is quite a controversy and debate over at the "S90 Site forums." Some are saying the new S6 piano sounds are horrible. I don't agree. When comparing the S6 sounds to the Roland's, I really can't say one is better than the other--they are different. Overall, the Roland is better at being a piano and the Yamaha is better at being a synth.

Edited by Psalm23 (12/25/09 11:54 PM)

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
The Right Mic Makes all the Difference. Piano Mics at Sweetwater

Click Here

#1335678 - 12/28/09 05:40 PM Re: Yamaha S90XS versus Roland RD700GX--A Brief Comparison [Re: Psalm23]
Huygens Offline

Loc: Sweden
How do the accompaniments compare?

#1335826 - 12/28/09 09:37 PM Re: Yamaha S90XS versus Roland RD700GX--A Brief Comparison [Re: Huygens]
Psalm23 Offline

Originally Posted By: Huygens
How do the accompaniments compare?

It is really not much of a comparison, the S90XS wins hands down. This is by far its strengths. They advertises this Yamaha as being the ultimate combination of a stage piano and as synth. This is a true statement.

#1336209 - 12/29/09 11:46 AM Re: Yamaha S90XS versus Roland RD700GX--A Brief Comparison [Re: Psalm23]
gryphon Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Okemos, MI
I'm not really familiar with the S90XS. What do you mean by "arpeggios and performances" and "Intelligent arpeggios?"

#1336360 - 12/29/09 03:12 PM Re: Yamaha S90XS versus Roland RD700GX--A Brief Comparison [Re: gryphon]
Psalm23 Offline

This function if the heart of the board. Check out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2MuRGDroJ8

#1336419 - 12/29/09 04:35 PM Re: Yamaha S90XS versus Roland RD700GX--A Brief Comparison [Re: Psalm23]
gryphon Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Okemos, MI
Oh yeah. Vid #3 really made me smile. laugh

#1337710 - 12/31/09 09:15 AM Re: Yamaha S90XS versus Roland RD700GX--A Brief Comparison [Re: gryphon]
Dr Popper Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hancock Park LA (not again)
I've got both of these and as I see it the s90XS is really a Motif XS without the sequencer and on-board editor. The RD700GX is really more of a straight stage piano. I do know that since I have had the S90XS my Motif XS hasn't been used live as the S90XS is a far better live proposition. I too cannot see what the fuss is about the s6 sample in the S90XS I've played it live and in the studio extensively without hearing any glaring issues.

#1337947 - 12/31/09 02:49 PM Re: Yamaha S90XS versus Roland RD700GX--A Brief Comparison [Re: Dr Popper]
Psalm23 Offline

Originally Posted By: Dr Popper
I've got both of these and as I see it the s90XS is really a Motif XS without the sequencer and on-board editor. The RD700GX is really more of a straight stage piano. I do know that since I have had the S90XS my Motif XS hasn't been used live as the S90XS is a far better live proposition. I too cannot see what the fuss is about the s6 sample in the S90XS I've played it live and in the studio extensively without hearing any glaring issues.

I have owned the S90XS for less than a week. I am still learning the many functions and features. The manual is horrible as usual with Yamaha. I also own a SY-85 that I brought years ago. It needs a new home.

#1338003 - 12/31/09 04:28 PM Re: Yamaha S90XS versus Roland RD700GX--A Brief Comparison [Re: Psalm23]
peanutty Offline

Thanks for starting this thread, Psalm! I was actually looking for a comparison between the 2, so your post was perfect.

I’m actually just looking for the best DP that mimics a grand in both feel and sound (for under $2,500). I had been considering a home DP for the longest time, but have decided to look at Stages, if only for the ease of transport.

Again, my primary interest is being able to feel like I’m playing on an acoustic piano. I don’t really care much about the other fancy functions offered by stage DPs. I’d appreciate any suggestions! Thanks.

#1338109 - 12/31/09 07:10 PM Re: Yamaha S90XS versus Roland RD700GX--A Brief Comparison [Re: Psalm23]
Dr Popper Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Psalm23

I have owned the S90XS for less than a week. I am still learning the many functions and features. The manual is horrible as usual with Yamaha. I also own a SY-85 that I brought years ago. It needs a new home.

Make sure you download the separate reference manual from the Yamaha website. It goes into a lot more detail then the standard manual.
Its pretty simple if you remember the performance mode is the key and set up your presets for each song via the editor. DAW connectivity requires some fiddling for Logic Studio but generally once you become familiar with it the S90Xs is pretty straightforward. I used it last night playing new years eve party in Sydney to 3000 people and live its fantastic to navigate. just plug in your USB and away you go .....

#1338111 - 12/31/09 07:12 PM Re: Yamaha S90XS versus Roland RD700GX--A Brief Comparison [Re: peanutty]
Dr Popper Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: peanutty

I’m actually just looking for the best DP that mimics a grand in both feel and sound (for under $2,500). I had been considering a home DP for the longest time, but have decided to look at Stages, if only for the ease of transport.

Currently that's the RD700GX (for feel) but soon Yamaha releases the CP-5 with wooden keys and that might indeed be even better.

#1339349 - 01/02/10 04:51 PM Re: Yamaha S90XS versus Roland RD700GX--A Brief Comparison [Re: Dr Popper]
casaleone Offline

#1339972 - 01/03/10 03:56 PM Re: Yamaha S90XS versus Roland RD700GX--A Brief Comparison [Re: Dr Popper]
peanutty Offline

Originally Posted By: Dr Popper
Originally Posted By: peanutty

Currently that's the RD700GX (for feel) but soon Yamaha releases the CP-5 with wooden keys and that might indeed be even better.

Thanks for the heads up, Dr Popper. I see that the release date for the CP-5 is March 2010. Guess I'll be waiting a few more months.

#1340060 - 01/03/10 05:44 PM Re: Yamaha S90XS versus Roland RD700GX--A Brief Comparison [Re: peanutty]
btcomm Offline

Loc: California
In the meantime, check out the 15 minute (3 part video - 5 min. each) video on the upcoming CP-1. Not the CP-5 but might be similiar. Click on the video link at the far right of the page.

http://keyboardmag.com/testsearch.aspx?searchtext=Yamaha%20CP-1

#1390864 - 03/07/10 11:50 PM Re: Yamaha S90XS versus Roland RD700GX--A Brief Comparison [Re: btcomm]
Ramsnake Offline

Loc: Denmark, Western Australia
Dr Popper

Just got my S90Xs last week and it rips - truly fantastic.
Do you know if you can get all 4 separate tracks of a performance into a DAW. I am sure I read somewhere you could do this. I am using Logic Pro 8.

Incidentally I really like the S6 piano sound!

#1390878 - 03/08/10 12:11 AM Re: Yamaha S90XS versus Roland RD700GX--A Brief Comparison [Re: Ramsnake]
Dr Popper Offline
1000 Post Club Member

You set it up using the MASTER program to enable the tracks in your DAW.

#1390881 - 03/08/10 12:17 AM Re: Yamaha S90XS versus Roland RD700GX--A Brief Comparison [Re: Ramsnake]
Ramsnake Offline

I think I just found out how to do it.
http://www.sninety.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=1,3&Board=S90S70XS&Number=447001&page=2&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

#1390883 - 03/08/10 12:18 AM Re: Yamaha S90XS versus Roland RD700GX--A Brief Comparison [Re: Ramsnake]
Ramsnake Offline

Oh Ok I will check that out

#1390897 - 03/08/10 12:32 AM Re: Yamaha S90XS versus Roland RD700GX--A Brief Comparison [Re: Ramsnake]
Dr Popper Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Yeah sninety is a good resource for S90XS users. The S90Xs ..CAN ... be somewhat tricky in Logic and it took me a while to get the proper midi events registered but as a Keyboard controller using the master mode its probably the best board on the market. I use one as my main board both live and in the studio especially when i want to work out ideas without bothering to produce anything in the DAW. I find the record to WAV USB function to be very useful in this regard.

#1391045 - 03/08/10 06:33 AM Re: Yamaha S90XS versus Roland RD700GX--A Brief Comparison [Re: Psalm23]
curt88 Offline

Originally Posted By: Psalm23
Roland--I just don't understand why they are taking so long to get Windows 7 drivers developed.

They are available now.

#1391231 - 03/08/10 11:38 AM Re: Yamaha S90XS versus Roland RD700GX--A Brief Comparison [Re: curt88]
PianoZac Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I own the Roland RD700GX and am thoroughly satisfied with the action and feel of the piano, as well as the 'resonance' and the sound when you push the sustain pedal down (you get the sound like on a real piano when the dampers are released). Pretty cool digital trick. I think for $2500, right now, the RD700GX is the best DP for a stage piano as far as action and playability goes. That's just MHO tho. I played the S90XS for a while the other day and really liked the piano sounds and the EP sounds. The action however, is a step down from Roland's PHA II keys and action, and a big step down from the PHA III on the VPiano. I'm really interested to check out the new Yamaha CP5 with wooden keys...I wonder if it will feel like the Kawai MP8's used to feel. I wonder if Roland will respond with an RD700'VX' with the action and piano sounds of the VPiano...now that would be awesome!

With all this said though, I'm running my RD700GX through Logic 8 and the Steinway and Bosendorfer sounds are better than anything you can get from a production keyboard, so really for me, I want a keyboard that feels most like a real piano, and currently that's the RD700GX.

"Be who you are and say how you feel. Because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

#1391235 - 03/08/10 11:42 AM Re: Yamaha S90XS versus Roland RD700GX--A Brief Comparison [Re: PianoZac]
mucci Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Munich, Germany
If that's your intention then I suggest to try a CA63 / CA93...

#1391250 - 03/08/10 12:04 PM Re: Yamaha S90XS versus Roland RD700GX--A Brief Comparison [Re: mucci]
PianoZac Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Sorry I mis-said what I was thinking. I am most concerned with, first and foremost, action-touch-feel-expression, (as well as MIDI control, portability for gigging when there's no grand piano, syncing with Logic in my studio). I may opt for the Kawai MP8II or Yamaha CP5. I've heard lot's of good things about the Kawai stage pianos.

"Be who you are and say how you feel. Because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

#2039657 - 02/26/13 02:10 PM Re: Yamaha S90XS versus Roland RD700GX--A Brief Comparison [Re: Psalm23]
Bruce B Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Thank you for the review. I am new at the piano and bought the Yamaha S90 XS. Began lessons recently so I cannot comment intelligently on very much for the moment however I surely appreciate anything you may have to offer in the way of advice as you can imagine this instrument can be very daunting and challenging at this particular time although I did not hesitate buying the XS.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Joshua Bell's second concert draws large crowds
by pianoloverus
2 minutes 38 seconds ago
NAMM 2015 - Are You Booked??
by Piano World
54 minutes 43 seconds ago
Music stores in Boston
by Jamie_from_Canada
Today at 09:39 AM
Need a stool of some kind
by GeorgeStorm
Today at 09:19 AM
Schoenberg's Kammersymphonie Op. 9 (for piano)
by jeffreyjones
Today at 08:48 AM
Who's Online
151 registered (ajames, accordeur, 36251, Alex75001, alans, 45 invisible), 1711 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76389 Members
42 Forums
157921 Topics
2319269 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission