Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1334103 - 12/26/09 01:37 PM A few questions to those who has DGX 630. Help needed!
DarkPlacebo Offline

Hi! i just recently bought a DGX 630,but when i checked youtube for some videos it seems that the P85 sounds a lot better. Is it just me? or is the recording for the P85 directly to the pc excellent ? i tried recording some songs for the dgx 630.... but its in Midi. How can i record my Songs done on dgx 630 directly to the computer with excellent sounds.

Im not sure if which is better, the DGX 630 or P 85. Ignoring all the features, just the touch and the piano sound, which one has an edge or is better?

And lastly, what are the recommended settings for dgx 630, like reverb or chorus or pitch ? thanks!

(ads) Sweetwater / PR /Roland
Yamaha Keyboards for Performance and Composition

Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano

Click Here

#1334158 - 12/26/09 03:24 PM Re: A few questions to those who has DGX 630. Help needed! [Re: DarkPlacebo]
Martin C. Doege Offline

Loc: Hamburg, Germany
Quote:
Im not sure if which is better, the DGX 630 or P 85. Ignoring all the features, just the touch and the piano sound, which one has an edge or is better?

I'd say the P-85 sounds a little better than the DGX, but the DGX has a lot of additional features and voices that the P-85 lacks. The touch should be the same (GHS).

#1334283 - 12/26/09 06:41 PM Re: A few questions to those who has DGX 630. Help needed! [Re: Martin C. Doege]
DarkPlacebo Offline

is the piano sound that noticeable or does it have a huge difference ? comparing it out of the speaker and when connected to a PC.

i just bought the DGX 630, but im not sure if i made a great decision since the price difference was $200. and im not really into accompaniment (styles), but i do love the 500 voices!

#1334299 - 12/26/09 07:11 PM Re: A few questions to those who has DGX 630. Help needed! [Re: DarkPlacebo]
ChrisA Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Redondo Beach, California
Originally Posted By: DarkPlacebo
Hi! i just recently bought a DGX 630,but when i checked youtube for some videos it seems that the P85 sounds a lot better. Is it just me? or is the recording for the P85 directly to the pc excellent ? i tried recording some songs for the dgx 630.... but its in Midi. How can i record my Songs done on dgx 630 directly to the computer with excellent sounds.

And lastly, what are the recommended settings for dgx 630, like reverb or chorus or pitch ? thanks!

How has the u-yube recording made? Recording technique makes a huge difference in the sound.

When you record your own plaing you can record MIDI. This can give the best sound but it depends on the quality of the virtual instruments on your computer. Some are much better than what comes built-into the digital piano.

You can also record from the LIne-Out jacks. You'd need an audio interface for that. Most people would get a USB audio interface and some cables.

I don't think there is any "recommended settings for reverb, chorus and so on. Just whatever sounds best to you. Ecept if you are recording. Always record with all the effects off, or set to zero. Put those back in laster using yur software. this way you get multiple chance to get it right. YOu can listen many times and "tweek it" and play with compression, reverb, EQ and so on. This is where I said "recording technique makes a huge difference"
The P85 and the 630 are very much alike except for the extra featurers

If you really want to make better recordings you can run software, virtual instruments on the computer and get state of the art sound

#1334301 - 12/26/09 07:12 PM Re: A few questions to those who has DGX 630. Help needed! [Re: DarkPlacebo]
Martin C. Doege Offline

I don't think the difference is that huge, it's more a matter of taste. And if you love the extra voices of the DGX, then I'd say you have made the right decision. Perhaps you might also have considered the Casio PX-330 if you need a big selection of sounds--it has 250. But at least the P-85 cannot really compete in that area.

#1334434 - 12/26/09 11:40 PM Re: A few questions to those who has DGX 630. Help needed! [Re: Martin C. Doege]
DarkPlacebo Offline

unfortunately, Privia is not available in my country. I was originally planning to buy an Upright Acoustic Piano, but since i live in a Condo, its not an option. But im planning to upgrade in after 5 years or so.

i havent tried a P85 yet, only heard it in youtube. I might as well try connecting my dgx to the computer and compare the difference.

#1334449 - 12/27/09 12:18 AM Re: A few questions to those who has DGX 630. Help needed! [Re: DarkPlacebo]
DarkPlacebo Offline

Also, i just bought a Cable for the DGX 630, but they said its a Mono cable (one line of black bar), and the clerk told me that All Digital pianos use that, and there is no stereo plug. is that true ?

Ive tried recording some songs in DGX 630, but when i transfer it to the computer via USB--it was saved as midi, the sound quality diminishes. Is there a way to just record the song as it sounds on the Piano, and when i play it in the computer, it would sound as is ?

Edited by DarkPlacebo (12/27/09 12:23 AM)

#1334469 - 12/27/09 01:29 AM Re: A few questions to those who has DGX 630. Help needed! [Re: DarkPlacebo]
limavady Offline

Loc: California
So what was the cable for? To go to a better set of external speakers? As far as i know on the DGX630 the only outlet is also the headphone out (in the back) so in this case (if i'm not mistaken) you would want to use a stereo plug. Then on the other end it might be either 2 rca plugs or what ever is appropriate for your speakers. If you had the usual 2 line-outs though you'd be using mono and i think that's what the clerk was thinking.

sorry i'm a little vague on your usb question, kmowledge-wise.

One thing i've found at least from my opinion is the extra voices in the yamahas are better than the casios. It's kind of a toss up when it comes to the main piano sounds but like i mention the other voices on the yamha seemed more like I wanted to use them than on the casio. Pretty nice sound on the yamaha for instance when layering the piano and strings; on the casio, kind of lousy on that layering i thought anyway.

#1334502 - 12/27/09 03:38 AM Re: A few questions to those who has DGX 630. Help needed! [Re: limavady]
DarkPlacebo Offline

yes, the only line out would be the Headphone Out, and i cant really find a stereo plug, they say thats not available at all. Im not really interested in connecting it to a an external speaker. My only concern is how to connect it to the computer and record it. But when i tried recording it using Audacity, the sound is abysmal. I used a plug (mono) and connected it to the Line-In in my computer. Hopefully i can just adjust several settings to record it properly.

I think im happy with the voices, i havent tried all of them yet. Thanks alot!

#1334528 - 12/27/09 06:27 AM Re: A few questions to those who has DGX 630. Help needed! [Re: DarkPlacebo]
Martin C. Doege Offline

You need a stereo cable (two black dividers) from the headphone out to the line in on the computer. (The user manual for the DGX clearly shows that the headphone out uses a stereo plug.) If the DGX is like the P-85 (6.3 mm headphone socket), get a 3.5 mm stereo cable plus a 6.3-to-3.5 mm stereo adapter for the piano side.

Apparently the DGX only has a single headphone jack, the P-85 has two, so you can record and listen at the same time. If there's only one jack, you might plug your headphones into the headphone out of your computer. You then have to set the transport settings in Audacity accordingly: Transport -> Software Playthrough. This will allow you to hear what's recorded.

Finally make sure the audio source in Audacity is set to Line In...

#1334651 - 12/27/09 12:24 PM Re: A few questions to those who has DGX 630. Help needed! [Re: Martin C. Doege]
DarkPlacebo Offline

is there a stereo plug (2 black dividers) that connects the headphone out from the DGX ? the clerk said that there is no such thing. i think i just needed to tweak some settings in Audacity for the sound to be better.

Im not sure if i can record songs using the USB TO HOST, but not being MIDI.

#1334659 - 12/27/09 12:36 PM Re: A few questions to those who has DGX 630. Help needed! [Re: DarkPlacebo]
oudeis Offline

Loc: The Netherlands
Yes, there is such a thing. Most headphones are supplied with adapters like Martin described, and you can buy them at most electronic stores. Use the adapter and a separate cable with the same 3.5 mm stereo plug (also available in most electronics stores).

I have a handfull of them lying around here (although most of them tend to disappear beneath couches and other furniture wink )

You can't use the USB to HOST feature to record audio, you can only use it as a MIDI interface.

#1334677 - 12/27/09 01:09 PM Re: A few questions to those who has DGX 630. Help needed! [Re: DarkPlacebo]
Martin C. Doege Offline

You should definitely use a stereo cable if the piano voice on the DGX is stereo. Otherwise the recording will sound terrible. You could also select a mono piano voice if that is available on the DGX.

Here's a cute stereo 3.5 mm cable, so these things definitely exist: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000ALY22Q/

#1335693 - 12/28/09 06:09 PM Re: A few questions to those who has DGX 630. Help needed! [Re: Martin C. Doege]
DarkPlacebo Offline

no wonder the recording is bad, sigh, ive wasted $4 for the damn cable, lolx! thanks a lot!

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
> Robin Spielberg Playing in Maine! <
-------------------
75,000 Members and Growing!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
153 registered (accordeur, ajames, 36251, 39 invisible), 2032 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75483 Members
42 Forums
156065 Topics
2291776 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Where is the new blood?
by Markarian
07/22/14 03:53 PM
Please Help!!
by OliviaWalter
07/22/14 01:39 PM
Performing Chopin's preludes
by JoelW
07/22/14 01:31 PM
Stephen Hough - Advice for talented piano students
by fnork
07/22/14 12:58 PM
Getting started with MIDI: One question.
by 90SITA
07/22/14 12:46 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission