Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1335258 - 12/28/09 07:36 AM A question concerning yamaha p155 and similar
al-mahed Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Rio de Janeiro
Hello fellows!

A have a question that I googled it with no results (and I did search a bit here too).

Anyway, I was wandering, after have read lots of posts (specialy from the user dewster) concerning nowadays DP technology and pianoteq software, if it is possible to have better sound in DP such as yamaha p155 and similar ones (that is, with MIDI in/out interface and USB) connecting these pianos via these interfaces to a laptop or computer, play it, and the computer do the work of emulation using the much better hardware via pianoteq software or another similar software.

That is: make the PC do the emulation work, with a lot of more processing power and better samples, than the internal DP hardware, making the PC "read" the played DP keys.

Sorry if it is a silly question but I am really new around here!

cheers

Working on: music

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Kawai Superb Stage Piano and Controller

Click Here

#1335533 - 12/28/09 02:18 PM Re: A question concerning yamaha p155 and similar [Re: al-mahed]
MarkL Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Chicago Suburban
It's not a silly question, the advantage of a DP is that you can do exactly what you just described. So I agree with you, you can improve the sound of a DP greatly by using a software piano.

#1335551 - 12/28/09 02:42 PM Re: A question concerning yamaha p155 and similar [Re: al-mahed]
ChrisA Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Redondo Beach, California
Yes of course you can use run software instruments on a computer. They might even sound better. But really they only sound "different". The best DPs are pretty good now. The weak link now days is the speakers and sound system not the internal sound generation.

It's a sign that the technology has matured that people will disagree about which is best.

I think the technology (even with a DP's built-in sound) today is such that you can't tell a recording made by a high-end digital from a recording made by an acoustic piano. However if you are sitting near the piano listening live you can hear the difference

Edited by ChrisA (12/28/09 02:43 PM)

#1335651 - 12/28/09 04:40 PM Re: A question concerning yamaha p155 and similar [Re: ChrisA]
dewster Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern NJ
Originally Posted By: ChrisA
Yes of course you can use run software instruments on a computer. They might even sound better. But really they only sound "different". The best DPs are pretty good now. The weak link now days is the speakers and sound system not the internal sound generation.

<snip>

I think the technology (even with a DP's built-in sound) today is such that you can't tell a recording made by a high-end digital from a recording made by an acoustic piano.

ChrisA are you baiting me? :-)

I think someone needs to take a nausea-inducing, stomach-churning tour of that most foul DP wall of shame known as Purgatory Creek:

http://purgatorycreek.com/

If you're talking stratospheric, super experimental, high-end DPs (i.e. V-Piano) then I maybe agree, but otherwise no.

#1335674 - 12/28/09 05:30 PM Re: A question concerning yamaha p155 and similar [Re: dewster]
ChrisA Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: dewster
you can't tell a recording made by a high-end digital from a recording made by an acoustic piano.

ChrisA are you baiting me? :-)
[/quote

No, I really don't think you can tell. OK maybe you can. But I ment the more general audience. In fact outside of classical music most pianos you here on the radio, in pop music and in films likely are digital. Have you ever done a blind test? Digitals have been passing blind tests now for over 20 years. But only as I said, when both go over speakers.

I put those words "high end" in there on purpose to exclude anything not intended for professional use in a recording studio.

#1335677 - 12/28/09 05:39 PM Re: A question concerning yamaha p155 and similar [Re: ChrisA]
dewster Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

I ment the more general audience.

Oh, well that's entirely different and I agree with that.

But isn't the original poster a potential player, someone who will likely grow tired of the current low- and mid-level DP sound offerings?

#1335774 - 12/28/09 08:08 PM Re: A question concerning yamaha p155 and similar [Re: ChrisA]
Michael Darnton Offline

Loc: Chicago
I don't have evidence of this, but recently I bought, online, a set of recordings of Scarlatti sonatas. For a couple of days I was satisfied but over time it got worse and worse. Now I'm absolutely convinced it's a DP. A nice one, but digital, no question. This is a sample of one, sure, but I wonder how representative it is of the limits of DP.

#1335780 - 12/28/09 08:21 PM Re: A question concerning yamaha p155 and similar [Re: dewster]
al-mahed Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Rio de Janeiro
Well... I already think that a mid-range well tuned acoustic upright sounds better than any other DP I know.

Concerning the yamaha p155 the most anoying things are the dynamic range (cleary pretty much poor) and the lack of real harmonic ressonance.

BUT this is not a point against ALL the DP since once one of then fill this gap I'll be satisfied. Is there any DP that have a solution to these issues?

cheers

ps: and if I use my p155 connected to a PC with something like pianoteq behind I think perhaps these issues could be minimized, or not?

Originally Posted By: dewster
I ment the more general audience.

Oh, well that's entirely different and I agree with that.

But isn't the original poster a potential player, someone who will likely grow tired of the current low- and mid-level DP sound offerings?

Working on: music

#1335792 - 12/28/09 08:38 PM Re: A question concerning yamaha p155 and similar [Re: Michael Darnton]
ChrisA Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Michael Darnton
..Now I'm absolutely convinced it's a DP. A nice one, but digital, no question.,,,

All modern recordings even if an acoustic Steinway is used are digital. Follow the signal patch in any studio. Mics go into preamps then feed A/D converters and from there to a computer's hard disk. Finally the data files are reviewed and edited, best takes assembled and the result is masted on a computer then final copy is burned to CD. In the end you listen to the vibrating diaphragms inside your headphones.

This is the reason I say most people can't tell the recording of a digital from an acoustic piano. So much of the process is the same.

#1335919 - 12/28/09 11:35 PM Re: A question concerning yamaha p155 and similar [Re: ChrisA]
dewster Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

This is the reason I say most people can't tell the recording of a digital from an acoustic piano. So much of the process is the same.

100% disagree. With sugar on top.

A real live piano performance captured via good microphones to A/D to PC to CD is absolutely not like what happens when someone performs the same thing on a DP. Almost any DP is a pale, severely compromised imitation of the real thing.

Joe Blow flunking a double blind test doesn't mean anything to those of us who listen to a lot of pianos and DPs, we who truly desire to be fooled by a DP but can't be by the current piss poor offerings.

#1335925 - 12/28/09 11:45 PM Re: A question concerning yamaha p155 and similar [Re: al-mahed]
dewster Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: al-mahed
Well... I already think that a mid-range well tuned acoustic upright sounds better than any other DP I know.

100% agree. It is really difficult to recommend any DP to anyone at this point. Student's parents invest in a keyboard and tend to hold onto it come hell or high water.

BUT this is not a point against ALL the DP since once one of then fill this gap I'll be satisfied. Is there any DP that have a solution to these issues?

I've been standing in this line for about as long as I can remember. All I can say is don't get your hopes up.

ps: and if I use my p155 connected to a PC with something like pianoteq behind I think perhaps these issues could be minimized, or not?

Yes. Just try not to cry over the fact that you spent $1k USD (or more) on keys alone, and $350 USD (or more) on replacing the lame sound source in your $1k USD (or more) DP.

#1335931 - 12/28/09 11:53 PM Re: A question concerning yamaha p155 and similar [Re: Michael Darnton]
dewster Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Michael Darnton
I don't have evidence of this, but recently I bought, online, a set of recordings of Scarlatti sonatas. For a couple of days I was satisfied but over time it got worse and worse. Now I'm absolutely convinced it's a DP. A nice one, but digital, no question. This is a sample of one, sure, but I wonder how representative it is of the limits of DP.

You are suffering from the dangerous, yet very common illness "Digitalis Pianus Crappus". Take two aspirin, get plenty of rest, and afterward burn the CD in a satanic ritual.

You might also consider ratting out the publisher to the CDC, just to make sure.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Seiler 186 Maestro Grand
by Sam4
22 minutes 22 seconds ago
Pain in hands while playing piano - looking for advice!
by Justin_B
Today at 10:15 AM
Buying a piano
by tim1889
Today at 09:45 AM
Unison detuning?
by Beemer
Today at 06:54 AM
Steinway Austria Benjamin BE-117
by bmc100
Today at 03:59 AM
Who's Online
129 registered (Anne'sson, Adypiano, Augustina, 36251, 39 invisible), 1446 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76260 Members
42 Forums
157641 Topics
2315516 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission