Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1334763 - 12/27/09 03:55 PM About Music123
Nib Offline

http://music123.com/

I've read some...questionable reviews online about this site. Has anyone had any experience with any purchases from this site? Specifically, has anyone purchased a DP from here?

With a 20% off coupon, I'm really itching to buy a DP from music123, but after reading some reviews online, I feel like asking around. I plan on purchasing a Yamaha P-155 from music123, but I never purchased a piano online before. So, I have a few questions:

1. From your experience, how reliable is the site?
2. How exactly are the pianos shipped in terms of packaging?
3. How is the customer service for music123?

Thanks for the assistance. At any rate, I'll either be buying the DP from either Music123 or Guitar Center. I would rather save $200+ by buying it online, but I'm not too sure what is the better option.

Edited by Nib (12/27/09 04:13 PM)

(ads) Sweetwater / PR /Roland
Your Next Keyboard is at Sweetwater

Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano

Click Here

#1334773 - 12/27/09 04:14 PM Re: About Music123 [Re: Nib]
ChrisA Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Redondo Beach, California
Originally Posted By: Nib
http://music123.com/

I've read some...questionable reviews online about this site. Has anyone had any experience with any purchases from this site? Specifically, has anyone purchased a DP from here?

With a 20% off coupon, I'm really itching to buy a DP from music123, but after reading some reviews online, I feel like asking around. I plan on purchasing a Yamaha P-155 from music123, but I never purchased a piano online before. So, I have a few questions:

1. From your experience, how reliable is the site?
2. How exactly are the pianos shipped in terms of packaging?
3. How is the customer service for music123?

Thanks for the assistance. At any rate, I'll either be buying the DP from either Music123 or Guitar Center.

Lately with their 20% off deal this place has become popular. A number of people have here bought from them. But if you don't like them, the others will price match their 20% off deal.

Packaging: The box said "Yamaha" on the outside. Looks like the factory carton that was packed in the factory in Japan. Other items like headphones can on a generic box with factory carton inside.

Reliability: I don't care. My credit card company will charge back if there is a problem.

If you want the best customer service buy from Sweetwater. The other just ship boxes and haven't a clue about the stuff inside.

I'd pretty sure Music123 does not actually ship the goods. They come from the same warehouse as other Internet music stores. I think several of them contract out the warehousing and shipping to the same outfit.

Watch those review sites. I think half the "reviews" just like eBay ratings, are fakes, site owners and others gaming the ratings.

Edited by ChrisA (12/27/09 04:24 PM)

#1334814 - 12/27/09 05:23 PM Re: About Music123 [Re: Nib]
Psalm23 Offline

Loc: Boston
Music123 = Musician's Friend = Guitar Center.

They are owned by the same company and ship out of the same warehouse. Use the 20% coupon then call Musician's Friend and they will reduce your price by 10% of the difference.

#1334828 - 12/27/09 05:36 PM Re: About Music123 [Re: Psalm23]
Nib Offline

Thanks for the input Chris. I'll keep that in mind in case I purchase from them. I'll go check out Sweetwater.

Psalm, I asked Guitar Center online if they would price match the 20% coupon from Music123 earlier, but they said they would not do it. If I brought a printout of my online cart with the piano + coupon to my local Guitar Center, would they honor it?

I'm not too familiar with the process of price matching.

Also, where did you find out that Music123 = Musician's Friend = Guitar Center? I knew that Musician's Friend = Guitar Center, but I didn't know that Music123 is a part of them too.

#1334885 - 12/27/09 06:38 PM Re: About Music123 [Re: ChrisA]
MarkL Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Chicago Suburban
Originally Posted By: ChrisA

If you want the best customer service buy from Sweetwater. The other just ship boxes and haven't a clue about the stuff inside.

Big ditto on Sweetwater. It's worth the little extra to know there's a super techie on the other end who can help you with anything, or get someone who can.

#1334946 - 12/27/09 07:56 PM Re: About Music123 [Re: MarkL]
limavady Offline

Loc: California
I've bought a few things from them. They've been around a long time. I've bought more from musicians Friend but that may have to do with nothing more than they are bigger i guess so might have had a larger selection of what i was looking for. But can you imagine the nightmare they would have if they were doing something weird like sending out boxes that had been damaged. I never heard anything bad about them until someone here mentioned some rating service or something saying they weren't good. But then again they don't come up as a topic much in my everyday world so who knows. If you're worried you could try to see if Musicians friend would match or beat their online price. Tell them you heard their customer service was better and you're a first time buyer online which is just the truth. I'd be surprised if most places online won't match an ongoing sale or promotion; I suppose that's weird GC wouldn't. Another place i've bought from online and like is Same day music.

#1335024 - 12/27/09 09:38 PM Re: About Music123 [Re: limavady]
dewster Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern NJ
The CCABIN coupon code isn't working for me anymore. I thought it was good thru December? Anyone else having this problem?

#1335038 - 12/27/09 10:03 PM Re: About Music123 [Re: dewster]
ZRX1200Rider Offline

I have only used Music123 once, and that was to purchase my new Yamaha DGX630B. I used the CCABIN 20% off coupon. I made my order on Tuesday 12/22 at 10:30 p.m. California time, and got my unit on Thursday 12/24 by 3:00 p.m.. I chose the $15 next afternoon delivery option. I was extremely impressed that I got my order in less than 48 hours for only $15. I don't know where it shipped from, but the box was undamaged and everything works as it's supposed to. I received an email from Music123 when it shipped and it was easily tracked through UPS tracking website. I thought it was a great deal and delivered to my house for only $655. My one time purchasing experience from Music123 was a very positive one. YMMV

#1335040 - 12/27/09 10:04 PM Re: About Music123 [Re: dewster]
signa Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ohio, USA
i checked lately with both 'ccabin' and 'dealtake' code, but neither would work with a P155. i tried earlier this month when it's still working, but wasn't ready to buy it yet. i guess that they might have stopped the deal.

#1335046 - 12/27/09 10:15 PM Re: About Music123 [Re: signa]
ChrisA Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Redondo Beach, California
Originally Posted By: signa
i checked lately with both 'ccabin' and 'dealtake' code, but neither would work with a P155. i tried earlier this month when it's still working, but wasn't ready to buy it yet. i guess that they might have stopped the deal.

The deals were listed at www.dealtaker.com and change every few weeks. See here for current codes. (note that they may be case sensitive)
http://www.dealtaker.com/Music123-coupon-code-a273-c.html

#1335061 - 12/27/09 10:40 PM Re: About Music123 [Re: ChrisA]
limavady Offline

They don't seem to be working but when i clicked on 'apply code' it did come up; the info about the code being valid thru Dec. -this was on the CCABIN one, and i double-checked on exclusions and although 'Yamaha Band' was among the exclusions Yamaha wasn't. I guess i'd call and see what was the problem. I did check to see if these were working earlier this month and they were on everything mentioned p155...ydp160....(but not the ydp223 for some reason)

#1335064 - 12/27/09 10:47 PM Re: About Music123 [Re: Nib]
jscomposer Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: The Boogie Down
I've been buying from them for years. Never bought a DP from them, but I did buy an Ibanez Prestige bass, back when Ibbys didn't come with hard shell cases. They're solid. I say go for it.

#1335089 - 12/27/09 11:46 PM Re: About Music123 [Re: jscomposer]
Anatoliy1 Offline

We have bought P-155 with a coupon through music123. Shipping, packing and customer service was very good. Received in 3 days after placing the order.

#1335096 - 12/27/09 11:56 PM Re: About Music123 [Re: jscomposer]
Nib Offline

Well, I fired the trigger. Here's hoping that it'll arrive within a week or so, so I can dabble on it before school starts.

Thanks everyone for their input! Worst case scenario, I'll follow Chris's advice and just bounce back the charges if anything goes wrong.

@dewster, signa, I had the P-155s and the CCABIN coupon added to my cart for a day or so; but I don't think that makes much of a difference. I just recently purchased it and the coupon went through.

#1335103 - 12/28/09 12:01 AM Re: About Music123 [Re: ChrisA]
signa Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: ChrisA
Originally Posted By: signa

The deals were listed at www.dealtaker.com and change every few weeks. See here for current codes. (note that they may be case sensitive)
http://www.dealtaker.com/Music123-coupon-code-a273-c.html

it's no long available for music123.com as it seems now.

Update: as it seems, it's not available for dark colored one but silver one. so, i have to take the deal without being picky for the color. hopefully, it would be shipped to me when i return from my vacation in a few days.

Edited by signa (12/28/09 12:29 AM)

#1335133 - 12/28/09 12:43 AM Re: About Music123 [Re: signa]
clenham Offline

Loc: New Jersey, USA
I purchased a P155 from Music123 using the "CCABIN" coupon earlier this month. The piano arrived in 4 days and was in fine shape. I would certainly order from them again.

I was curious about the "CCABIN" coupon not working since it is suppose to be good through the end of December. It appears that the item you are applying it against needs to be in stock for the discount to take. Right now Music123 only has the P155S (silver) in stock and the coupon works with that, but it fails on the other two. There is a note that the other two will be available on December 29.

#1335137 - 12/28/09 12:51 AM Re: About Music123 [Re: clenham]
signa Offline
8000 Post Club Member

thanks Clenham! i didn't notice the availability problem. i would rather wait for the dark color one. i may have to call them tomorrow to see if i can change it.

#1335432 - 12/28/09 12:05 PM Re: About Music123 [Re: ChrisA]
Nikalette Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I didnt have a problem with Music 123. I bought a cheaper Casio 2nd DP from them B Stock. It came without the songbook, but they dug one up. Delivery was fast and they have a 45 day return policy. Like the others said they're all kind of related.

Altho BH Video has a good rep they only have a 15 day return policy, and I might have changed my mind with more time.

#1335512 - 12/28/09 01:55 PM Re: About Music123 [Re: Nikalette]
limavady Offline

hey nice detective work there clenham. I hope you can get the order cancelled in time signa. I ended up getting the one with the mahogany and it looks very nice; i don't wince or anything when i see it. I was a little worried about the fake wood thing but as someone pointed out the all black one has a fake wood ebony strip instead of the mahogany; i was really going to go with the all black but then thought that almost every keyboard out there is all black. Still i'm sure that would be a decent choice as well. But the silver boombox looking one....well someone here said they actually liked it the best so...

#1335657 - 12/28/09 04:57 PM Re: About Music123 [Re: limavady]
Brian1963 Offline

Loc: Texas, USA
I recently took back my PX-130, because the CCabin discount afforded me the P85. GC matched the music123 price/gift pre-tax, so once tax was applied it ='d music123's online price($479.99 free shipping/no tax, which also included free gift Senheiser HD202 hphones). Although, GC didn't have the HD202, they threw in the HD201s instead, but it's all good!

I asked the GC employee/mgr if they owned music123 & they said, "No they did NOT".

Edited by Brian1963 (12/28/09 05:39 PM)

#1335834 - 12/28/09 09:45 PM Re: About Music123 [Re: Brian1963]
limavady Offline

It may be a technical fine point. If you go to wikipedia and look up Guitar center and then musicians Friend you might get the picture. It uses words like Guitar Center aquired MF but MF still reuns as a seperate susidiary and that GC aquired assets of Music123,wwbw...they probably are not supposed to come out and say 'yea we own them and them them' because of some anti-trust violation thing so it's set up so the other companies stay seperate but....I don't know, just my guess but read the articles and see what your take on it is.

#1337421 - 12/30/09 09:17 PM Re: About Music123 [Re: limavady]
signa Offline
8000 Post Club Member

ok, i did cancel the silver one and reorder mahogany one plus a FC3 pedal. limavady, it's like yours. i didn't know that they actually charge tax though with free shipping. it's still a good deal to me. hopefully, i could restart playing piano regularly when i get it in the new year.

thanks everyone, especially those who provided the coupon code!

#1337482 - 12/30/09 10:38 PM Re: About Music123 [Re: signa]
limavady Offline

Did they explain the tax thing? Free shiping had something to do with it? i ordered somthing from a music store online, from vermont i think they were, and it added the tax so when i called the guy said no it wasn't supposed to have that on there; maybe just for local orders i don't know. So if music123 has a warehouse in your state that could be why otherwise ask them if you already haven't checked that out. By the way i got the stand (often listed as the stand for the p140, same stand though) ---some people say they weren't crazy about it but i like it quite a bit; puts the keys at 28 5/8" where alot of stands, X and otherise put the keys at over 30", really too high. There was a cool looking stand someone got here that let you get it to the proper level though....just the other day...was the poster Dewster? I think...the stand i got though i got for 99. from contois music where everyone else wanted 119 for it. The stand dewster got was 89 from z sounds i think he said.

#1337588 - 12/31/09 01:04 AM Re: About Music123 [Re: limavady]
signa Offline
8000 Post Club Member

limavady, good idea, and i might just call them tomorrow to see what's that tax for. it adds over $70. but if i have to pay for it, i may have to. we'll see...

i'm not going to order the stand yet, because i have something to put it on now unless it doesn't fit well. i can always buy that later.

#1337884 - 12/31/09 01:26 PM Re: About Music123 [Re: signa]
Nikalette Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I've never paid tax and I didn't with Music 123 even with free shipping. I think there are only 2 states where you have to pay tax even for out of state purchases, but not sure which states they are...unless you live where the warehouse is shipping from, you should be tax free.

#1337966 - 12/31/09 03:28 PM Re: About Music123 [Re: Nikalette]
limavady Offline

on the music123 site (FAQ # 23) they list the states where they charge tax to and i don't think ohio was one of them so hopefully they just messed up.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
European Piano Party 2014, Picts & Stories! (Piano Party in Portugal)
-------------------
75,000 Members and Growing!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) Purely Piano Practice Software
Purely Piano Practice Software
(ad) Piano Guide Lessons
Piano Guide Lessons
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
97 registered (AndrewAJC, Abby Pianoman, Anne'sson, AmateurBob, 34 invisible), 1377 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75385 Members
42 Forums
155840 Topics
2288405 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Nosferatu (1922) film score - Gabriela Montero
by pv88
Yesterday at 11:25 PM
New Clavinova CLP-480 recording
by pv88
Yesterday at 10:53 PM
Saint-saens concerto 2 Schirmer edition question
by JessicaB
Yesterday at 08:40 PM
How far to go?
by ChopinFan66
Yesterday at 05:00 PM
"Canned" Accompanyments like Music Minus One?
by Kojak
Yesterday at 04:16 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission