Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1336685 - 12/29/09 11:40 PM Need Some Advice on my First Keyboard
MusicVision Offline

Hi,

I'm new here and also to playing piano. I pretty much just started this past semester of college after one my friends and I found a piano on campus and it immediately captured my interest. I would practice on it more often except that most of the day a class is going on in the room with the piano and by the time classes are done the school is closed (it's a commuter campus).

After researching for almost a month, I still can't decide on what DP to get. Since this would be a gift from my sister, the price range isn't too high, probably $400 max. This pretty much narrows it down to a few lower end ones but I'm ok with that. Also, I'm not sure how serious I am going to get so I don't really know what features to look for. If there are any more questions that can help with feedback please feel free to ask. I hope to become a part of the community and more knowledgeable as I grow. Thanks in advance.

(ad) Roland

Click Here

#1337427 - 12/30/09 09:24 PM Re: Need Some Advice on my First Keyboard [Re: MusicVision]
signa Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ohio, USA
in that price range, you may have to look at Casio PX130, which you might be able to get with a coupon or discount. music123.com has 20% off $500 with code "CCABIN" till 12/31 (tomorrow).

#1337443 - 12/30/09 09:40 PM Re: Need Some Advice on my First Keyboard [Re: signa]
MusicVision Offline

Thank you for your response.

I think that the CCABIN code doesn't work for Casio products. I remember trying it earlier this month and it didn't work. However, I was able to get a price quote from music123.com for $390. Is this a good deal?

#1337446 - 12/30/09 09:43 PM Re: Need Some Advice on my First Keyboard [Re: signa]
FormerFF Offline

Loc: Roswell, GA, USA
ZZounds has some Casio PX-120 DPs for $400, or $500 with stand and pedal board. If you are absolutely limited to $400, you can get just the piano now and get a stand and damper pedal later, but if you can find the extra $100, the included stand is well worth it. I've heard that some people had problems with the pedal board breaking, but don't know how prevalent that is.
Piano self teaching on and off from 2002-2008. Took piano instruction from Nov 2008- Feb 2011. Took guitar instruction Feb 2011-Jul 2013. Can't play either. Living, breathing proof some people aren't cut out to make music.

#1337615 - 12/31/09 02:54 AM Re: Need Some Advice on my First Keyboard [Re: FormerFF]
MusicVision Offline

I have pretty much narrowed it down to the Yamaha NP30 for $254.99 or the Casio PX130 for $390.

I know that the NP30 doesn't have weighted keys, but for it's low price and portability it seems like such a good bargain. Also, I have access to acoustics at school, my friends house, and pretty much all my relatives have one except me lol. The only problem is I don't have unlimited access as it depends on whether they are home or not.

As for the PX130, I was really leaning towards it because it is probably the cheapest 88-key, weighted DP that is available right now in my price range. If I had this at home, then I would not have to rely on other places to practice.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

#1337731 - 12/31/09 09:58 AM Re: Need Some Advice on my First Keyboard [Re: MusicVision]
Vid_w Offline

Loc: Slovenia
You'll deffinately want a full weighted keyboard, and a Casio PX 130 sounds awesome for that price!

#1337745 - 12/31/09 10:20 AM Re: Need Some Advice on my First Keyboard [Re: Vid_w]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern NJ
If you play for any length of time you will almost certainly begin to hate the NP30, the non-hammer key action will drive you crazy.

#1337761 - 12/31/09 10:46 AM Re: Need Some Advice on my First Keyboard [Re: dewster]
snazzyplayer Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Earth
Originally Posted By: dewster
If you play for any length of time you will almost certainly begin to hate the NP30, the non-hammer key action will drive you crazy.

Well shucks...now I know why I'm insane. crazy

Actually, the NP-30 is a nice play...reminds me of a semi-weighted synth action, but is not a piano action in any sense of the word other than being graded.

I tend to the extremes in keyboard actions...weighted 88 hammer, or very light and extremely fast synth/organ style keybeds...semi-weighted seems like such a half-hearted attempt, and definitely a compromise.

What I can say in the NP-30's defence, is that it sounds pretty darn good, is extremely portable(12 lbs) and is well made and very durable, like most Yamahas.

Snazzy

#1337792 - 12/31/09 11:20 AM Re: Need Some Advice on my First Keyboard [Re: snazzyplayer]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern NJ
Originally Posted By: snazzyplayer
Well shucks...now I know why I'm insane. crazy

Well, my wife complains, when going from our real piano or our P120 to the toy she plays at church, that it is way too easy to accidentally play notes on the toy. Unplayed keys adjacent to played keys often get slightly pressed, which is generally harmless on a piano or hammer action DP, but you can almost just breathe on the toy and it's off making noise.

Originally Posted By: snazzyplayer
What I can say in the NP-30's defence, is that it sounds pretty darn good, is extremely portable(12 lbs) and is well made and very durable, like most Yamahas.

If they hadn't blown the speaker placement, it might be something I'd consider if we really, really needed the portability, at the expense of playability.

#1337811 - 12/31/09 11:42 AM Re: Need Some Advice on my First Keyboard [Re: dewster]
snazzyplayer Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Earth
Originally Posted By: dewster

If they hadn't blown the speaker placement, it might be something I'd consider if we really, really needed the portability, at the expense of playability.

Yeah, that was a dumb move putting the speakers at the ends...still, it's shorter by a few inches than my P-85...49" to 52 3/16".

I found I had to play it a bit before I stopped hitting too hard...strange, but the light action on my PSR-S910 and on my Hammond don't make me do that...psychological? Who knows.

For the money it is pretty much a bargain...but, one would seriously have to weigh the pros and cons of practising on the light keybed, and then playing lessons (or performing) on a real piano or a properly weighted digital.

Strangely enough, when I gigged professionally some years ago, I had no problem switching between the different actions of a Solina, a CP-80 electric grand and a B-3 during a performance...maybe it's the look of the NP-30's keys helping one think they might be weighted.

Snazzy

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
115 registered (antony, accordeur, Almaviva, A Guy, 31 invisible), 1255 Guests and 52 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74250 Members
42 Forums
153596 Topics
2251150 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recorded a song on my workstation tonight
by Arizona Sage
53 minutes 3 seconds ago
How to tune a piano.....
by Grandpianoman
Yesterday at 11:46 PM
Need help with upgrading(?) Roland digital
by Pathbreaker
Yesterday at 10:23 PM
CA glue applications
by accordeur
Yesterday at 10:01 PM
Casio PX 850
by ryand90
Yesterday at 07:41 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission