Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1337007 - 12/30/09 11:55 AM Sub forum for members' recordings?
Phlebas Offline

Loc: New York City
Do you think it would be useful to have a subforum in Pianist Corner Non-Classical devoted to members' recordings? The idea would be for you all to post your recording of yourselves in that area.

It would not involve a rule that all recordings MUST be posted there.

Please let me know.

Edited by Phlebas (12/30/09 11:55 AM)

Piano & Music Accessories
#1337136 - 12/30/09 02:34 PM Re: Sub forum for members' recordings? [Re: Phlebas]
Studio Joe Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Decatur, Texas
I don't see a need for it myself, but I don't see any harm in it either.

I'm easy.

#1339902 - 01/03/10 02:02 PM Re: Sub forum for members' recordings? [Re: Phlebas]
scepticalforumguy Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lower Mainland, BC
Originally Posted By: Phlebas
Do you think it would be useful to have a subforum in Pianist Corner Non-Classical devoted to members' recordings? The idea would be for you all to post your recording of yourselves in that area.

It would not involve a rule that all recordings MUST be posted there.

Please let me know.

Do you mean a members' recording area that is just for non-classical attached to Pianist Corner? There is a members' recording section already with both classical and other recordings.
It does seem to have relatively little traffic though. At best only about 5 people are viewing it at one time as opposed to the other popular ones. Maybe the positioning on the screen, or that it's been relegated to the non-popular section? So perhaps moving the recordings into the other sections would encourage more to post and listen.
Personally, I didn't even know about the members recording forum for about a year after I joined PW, and I was posting recordings in the piano forum. I did get far more responses when I was there opposed to posting in the members recordings forum though.

#1340357 - 01/04/10 06:34 AM Re: Sub forum for members' recordings? [Re: scepticalforumguy]
Phlebas Offline

Yes. It would be a sub-forum under PCNC. It was a suggestion made in Pianist Corner that there be a sub-forum there for the same reason, and it could possibly happen in ABF as well.

The Members' Recordings forum does not get a lot of traffic, so recording sub-forums that are more visible might get more traffic.

There would be no rule that all recordings must be posted there, but it would be up to the mods' discretion to move problematic threads there. I can't imagine too many scenarios where I would actually do that, though.

Personally - as a poster, not a mod - I tend to read the forums, and not the sub-forums, and listen to a lot of recordings there. On the other hand, sometimes I can't find a recording that someone posted a while ago, and if there were members' recordings sub-forums, they would be easier to find.

I'll leave it up to you all, but let me know what you want.

#1340359 - 01/04/10 06:43 AM Re: Sub forum for members' recordings? [Re: Phlebas]
Swingin' Barb Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: North Carolina
sometimes I can't find a recording that someone posted a while ago, and if there were members' recordings sub-forums, they would be easier to find.

I have run into the problem you mentioned above. So, for that reason, I think a sub-forum is a good idea.

Barb

To hear how I have progressed since 2006, check out: http://b.kane.home.mindspring.com

#1340426 - 01/04/10 09:55 AM Re: Sub forum for members' recordings? [Re: Swingin' Barb]
R0B Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
I think a 'stickied' members' recordings thread, would be an asset, in several forums.

Members could then, easily find links to recordings, in areas that interest them.

I tried a while back, to start a members' YouTube directory, but it got lost in the mists of time.

#1340813 - 01/04/10 06:10 PM Re: Sub forum for members' recordings? [Re: R0B]
Studio Joe Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Decatur, Texas
I much prefer a sub forum to a sticky thread for these reasons:

1. In a sticky, you have to scroll through all the replies/comments to find the latest submissions.

2. In a sub forum each submission would have its own thread and be easier to find.

I vote for a sub forum that operates like the members recordings forum. Or leave it like it is.

#1341005 - 01/04/10 09:55 PM Re: Sub forum for members' recordings? [Re: Studio Joe]
R0B Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
Good points, Joe.

Guess I hadn't really thought it through.

#1341135 - 01/05/10 02:31 AM Re: Sub forum for members' recordings? [Re: R0B]
scepticalforumguy Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lower Mainland, BC
In light of the clarification, then yes, I too think a subforum would probably bring more traffic. Who will make the final decision on this?

#1341320 - 01/05/10 11:20 AM Re: Sub forum for members' recordings? [Re: scepticalforumguy]
Phlebas Offline

If there are a few more positive responses, I'll ask Frank to set it up.
I haven't heard anyone totally against the idea so far, so if anyone is, please post here.

#1341369 - 01/05/10 12:29 PM Re: Sub forum for members' recordings? [Re: Phlebas]
etcetra Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Yea I like the idea too. I've seen people post the link to multiple threads probably because they don't know where to post them.. and if there is one place people can post recording, there won't be any confusion.

#1341454 - 01/05/10 01:44 PM Re: Sub forum for members' recordings? [Re: etcetra]
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
Count me in as a positive vote. I'm curious to see how the subforums work and whether it would be effective in generating more comments on people's playing.

#1341883 - 01/05/10 09:38 PM Re: Sub forum for members' recordings? [Re: Monica K.]
Little_Blue_Engine Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ohio, US
Sounds like a good idea.

#1342541 - 01/06/10 05:23 PM Re: Sub forum for members' recordings? [Re: Little_Blue_Engine]
Phlebas Offline

Ok. We now have a Members Recording sub-forum here in PCNC - thanks to Frank.
I would encourage people to post recordings of themselves there, however there is no rule that they must be posted there, and unless there is a problem I won't move recordings there.

whew!! gotta sit down. that's the most work i've done as a moderator in a year.

Edited by Phlebas (01/06/10 05:25 PM)

#1342625 - 01/06/10 07:04 PM Re: Sub forum for members' recordings? [Re: Phlebas]
Monica K. Offline

Uh-oh. If you hadn't told me, I wouldn't have seen it; my eye just skips over all that top stuff on the screen to scan the thread topics below. I guess people will have to train themselves to look up there, or maybe the sub-forum won't get the visibility/traffic we'd like. frown

#1342645 - 01/06/10 07:27 PM Re: Sub forum for members' recordings? [Re: Phlebas]
Swingin' Barb Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: North Carolina

Thank you, Phlebas. Good to see you're putting in a little work here for us all. grin

And a thank you also goes to Frank.

Barb

To hear how I have progressed since 2006, check out: http://b.kane.home.mindspring.com

#1342660 - 01/06/10 07:40 PM Re: Sub forum for members' recordings? [Re: Phlebas]
Monica K. Offline

Oops. I should have thanked you, too, Phlebas, as Barb did, rather than just complain about it. blush I do appreciate the effort and am anxious to see how it works out.

...but if you want more moderator work, I'm sure we can start a big controversy here in the nonclassical forum... hmmm... what would be the nonclassical equivalent of an incendiary Lang Lang thread?! I'll have to mull it over. laugh

#1342674 - 01/06/10 08:08 PM Re: Sub forum for members' recordings? [Re: Monica K.]
Phlebas Offline

Originally Posted By: Monica K.

...but if you want more moderator work, I'm sure we can start a big controversy here in the nonclassical forum... hmmm... what would be the nonclassical equivalent of an incendiary Lang Lang thread?! I'll have to mull it over. laugh

Not at all! I'd rather cause trouble in the other forums, so the other mods. have to work hard.

Seriously, the idea was to have a recording sub forum in some of the forums so there was more exposure to the recordings people posted that never got noticed in the regular members recording forum.

#1342699 - 01/06/10 08:40 PM Re: Sub forum for members' recordings? [Re: Monica K.]
eweiss Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Beautiful San Diego, CA
Originally Posted By: Monica K.
hmmm... what would be the nonclassical equivalent of an incendiary Lang Lang thread?!

Hmmm ... I'm thinking Yanni.

He's not a showboat like Lang Lang but it seems
a lot of people have "problems" with him.

#1348057 - 01/12/10 08:41 PM Re: Sub forum for members' recordings? [Re: eweiss]
Larry Larson Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Carmel, Indiana
Maybe I'm missing something here, but it seems to me that another section for members' recording would decrease the traffic, because then we'd have 3 different places to post songs, instead of 2 as there are now (member's recording section, and the PianoBar). If anything, it would make more sense to have only one place to post recordings. I don't think visibility is the issue, it's just that there's a certain level of interest that I don't expect would increase with another section. I think if people are interested in any particular topic, they probably don't have trouble finding what they're looking for.
www.larrylarsonpiano.com
YouTubeChannel www.youtube.com/LarryLarsonPiano

#1348068 - 01/12/10 08:53 PM Re: Sub forum for members' recordings? [Re: Larry Larson]
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
There's only a piano bar in the ABF smile We're creative smile

I think the ABF will probably continue being the ABF, but I'd hate to have "only" one place for recordings and have ours get lost. But again, none of the forums, that I know of, have said that recordings can *only* be posted in the sub-forum. I think folks were just trying to gather them together so they didn't drop off the front page.

But I like the ABF the way it is, and so far the idea of a sub-forum hasn't come up there. Possibly because we *do* have a piano bar, and people respond to individual threads with recordings in them, too.

My guess is that visibility isn't the prime issue. My guess, and it's only that, is that time and lack of anything detailed to say are more factors.

I'd also hate to have the ABF recording opportunities be subsumed to people who only want to post their recordings as many places as possible and not participate otherwise, so I like our interactive atmosphere and the fact that ABF recording places are, well, ABF smile

Cathy

Moderator:  sharpsandflats 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
The 2 Most Common Questions Conundrum
by chernobieff
10/21/14 02:44 PM
Heroic Polonaise help please...
by ChopinLives81
10/21/14 02:28 PM
Maurizio Pollini at Carnegie Hall
by Works1
10/21/14 12:53 PM
Steinway event
by Radio.Octave
10/21/14 11:18 AM
Some Questions About "Piano Magic"
by newbert
10/21/14 10:58 AM
Who's Online
138 registered (ajames, accordeur, anamnesis, 34 invisible), 1736 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76599 Members
42 Forums
158400 Topics
2326067 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission