Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1337071 - 12/30/09 01:04 PM PIANO WORLD- the first years...
P I A N O piano Offline

Loc: Ann Arbor, Michigan
Well, it's the close of a decade and PIANO WORLD is how old??? I thought (and really, I consider myself a freshman member) I'd see what the original PW people think about this site during this decade. You must have see the growth first hand!! This is a really cool site and I learn something every day! This thread has no guidelines except here are some questions- (choose one, none or all)

Why do you visit PW? PC?

What have you learned from PW? PC?

How has PW evolved? (forum members who have seen the early years)

Has there been memorable threads on Pianist Corner?
Schubert, Moments Musicaux,No.4 in C Sharp Minor;
Beethoven, Sonata no. 15 in D major, op. 28 (Pastoral)
teacher: Katherine Teves Mizruchi, Ann Arbor, MI
Steinway B

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1337073 - 12/30/09 01:09 PM Re: PIANO WORLD- the first years... [Re: P I A N O piano]
jazzyprof Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ann Arbor, MI
Originally Posted By: P I A N O piano

Has there been memorable threads on Pianist Corner?

Ah, yes, the legendary Coffee Room. Well worth a visit. grin

#1337081 - 12/30/09 01:18 PM Re: PIANO WORLD- the first years... [Re: jazzyprof]
Phlebas Offline

Loc: New York City
Ah yes, the Coffee Room. People who think things get contentious around here now should look at some of the big threads in the pre-moderated days of Coffee Room (while it still existed), Pianists Corner and Piano World.

When I look back at some of those threads....no wonder Frank closed it down.

#1337104 - 12/30/09 01:39 PM Re: PIANO WORLD- the first years... [Re: Phlebas]
sotto voce Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Briarcliff Manor, NY, USA
Before there was PW, there was r.m.m.p.

Steven

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats."
—Albert Schweitzer

Chopin: Allegro de Concert Op. 46
Schumann: Toccata Op. 7
Fauré: Ballade Op. 19

#1337124 - 12/30/09 02:15 PM Re: PIANO WORLD- the first years... [Re: sotto voce]
Numerian Offline
1000 Post Club Member

In the very early days people used normal names like Dan, Amy, Alex, Brendan, though a few cool people were more inventive like pianoloverus (still around). There were a lot of us lurking back then before committing to join because it wasn't clear how websites and blogs were supposed to work.

Nobody knew what a flamefest was at first - in fact in the first few years there was more politeness. But that eventually gave way to some passionate fights in the Coffee Room. Most of the fights then and now are about pianos, with occasional dust-ups over composer likes and dislikes.

Ten years ago, certain brand names didn't exist or were just coming on to market, so there was a lot of curiosity about high end pianos like Steingraeber, Fazioli, Estonia, and Mason & Hamlin in its revived form. Very few people had ever seen or played these instruments. Steinway was therefore unchallenged on the high end, and it has been interesting to see their dominance weaken a bit in ten years time with all the competition. Steinway pianos still seem to me by far to be the source of ongoing controversies and fights, and after all this time I still haven't figured out what it is about the instrument that incites so much anger. If you've been around long enough, these flamefests get repetitive and you learn to avoid them, just as you learn to avoid certain teenagers who are convinced they know everything and like to throw out bombshells just for fun. As a general rule, I also stay away from dealer fights because they usually become exercises in name calling.

Perhaps the saddest thing that happened here in the past decade was the Piano Superstore fiasco. A lot of people learned to be a little less trusting of what people say or claim on the internet after that incident. But 98% of the time the information and opinions you get here are valuable and without any doubt Piano World has helped a lot of people become better musicians, more astute shoppers, and if you are in the piano business, better manufacturers and salespeople. That is quite an accomplishment so Frank B. has much for which he can be proud.

#1337126 - 12/30/09 02:20 PM Re: PIANO WORLD- the first years... [Re: Numerian]
Piano*Dad Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Williamsburg, VA
Well, in my time here perhaps the most interesting thread was the case of the disappearing Boesendorfer. The one that supposedly was left in a hotel room somewhere. This was also a thread about unscrupulous behavior and catching the guilty party.
Grotrian 192 #156455

https://www.youtube.com/user/dhfeld/videos

#1337172 - 12/30/09 03:23 PM Re: PIANO WORLD- the first years... [Re: sotto voce]
Kreisler Offline

Loc: Iowa City, IA
Originally Posted By: sotto voce
Before there was PW, there was r.m.m.p.

Steven

Ah yes, I remember r.m.m.p

Those discussions were, um, spirited! laugh
"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed

#1337179 - 12/30/09 03:33 PM Re: PIANO WORLD- the first years... [Re: Kreisler]
Piano World Online   blank

Loc: Parsonsfield, ME (originally N...
I managed to save a few threads from 10 years ago.

The Way We Were

I started Piano World as a hobby, something I could do with my new found HTML skills (web site programming for those who may not know).

Alas, my programming skills did not keep up, but luckily Piano World has, thanks primarily to the input of our members.

It is now my primary focus, and lots of fun for me.

I just hope we can continue to do our little part in helping people discover the joys of owning/playing a piano.
www.PianoSupplies.com
Find Us On:
Facebook.com/PianoWorldDotCom
Twitter.com/PianoWorld
www.youtube.com/PianoWorldDotCom
Estonia L-190, Yamaha P-80, Hammond XK-3, Hammond A-100, Estey 1895 Pump Organ
-------------------------
It's Fun To Play the Piano ... PLEASE Pass It On!
And please invite everyone you know to join our piano forums!
Coming to Maine? We're in Parsonsfield (southwest) let's get together!

#1337199 - 12/30/09 04:02 PM Re: PIANO WORLD- the first years... [Re: Piano World]
piqué Offline
5000 Post Club Member

there's a narrative of the early days of pianoworld in "grand obsession" in chapter 6 "piano world" (naturally) and in chapter 15 "the piano crawl" in which you also learn something about frank's background in music, and also about the background and personal interests of several other early forum members.

i came on board when there were just a handful of us, and it was a much more peaceable universe back then. the attacks of sept. 11th set us off in a different direction for awhile, which you can also rediscover in a forum frank created just for discussing that event.

it's really quite remarkable that frank has been able to preserve this long social history. thank you, frank, for creating this place and maintaining it. i know it's a hugely important part of many of our lives, and some of my best friends in real life are now people i first encountered at piano world.

now in paperback:

Grand Obsession: A Piano Odyssey

#1337250 - 12/30/09 05:12 PM Re: PIANO WORLD- the first years... [Re: piqué]
Ted Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Auckland, New Zealand
Over the last seven years, the main thing I have learned from Pianoworld is how most other people, especially musicians, think about music. That has been the real eye-opener for me. I completely lacked any understanding of what might be termed conventional musical perception. I met Matthew Collett through this site, even though he was living just a few miles away from me, and at his piano parties I have met and heard several other interesting players. Such is the power of the internet to bring people together constructively.

I spend much less time posting on forums of any sort recently because I am too busy actually playing and making recordings but I still enjoy reading what people have to say every day or two.

#1337301 - 12/30/09 06:20 PM Re: PIANO WORLD- the first years... [Re: Ted]
LiszThalberg Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Anyone remember some ridiculous lady whose name in Russian meant Dark Eyes? Trying to sell some music product over and over and over and over?

Fun stuff.

#1337342 - 12/30/09 07:04 PM Re: PIANO WORLD- the first years... [Re: LiszThalberg]
-Frycek Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: SC Mountains
Well, once upon at time, prior to September 9, 2006, there was no "Just for those Totally Devoted to Chopin" thread. Now it's hard to imagine ABF forum without it. We've had Hershey Felder (Gershwin, Monsieur Chopin, Beethoven as I Knew Him)and Dr Jeff Kallberg (Chopin at the Boundaries) post there. We've had Angela Lear (The Original Chopin)as a consultant. We've had our own representative (LisztAddict) make it into the second round of the Amateur International Chopin Competition in Warsaw this past October. We initiated the first composer themed recitals and coined the term "e-cital." We owe a great debt to LovesChopinToo Much (our Kathleen) for starting and nurturing it. The thread now has more than 5,600 entries and over 112,000 views. I don't know if this is some sort of internet record but I think it might possibly be.

#1337346 - 12/30/09 07:12 PM Re: PIANO WORLD- the first years... [Re: LiszThalberg]
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
Originally Posted By: Debussy20
Anyone remember some ridiculous lady whose name in Russian meant Dark Eyes? Trying to sell some music product over and over and over and over?

Fun stuff.

Was that the one trying to sell SoftMozart in the teachers forum? That's when I first came on.

Cathy

#1337435 - 12/30/09 09:33 PM Re: PIANO WORLD- the first years... [Re: jotur]
piqué Offline
5000 Post Club Member

"dark eyes" in russian (transliterated) is chornaya glaza. was there really a screen handle here by that name?

i missed that contribution.

now in paperback:

Grand Obsession: A Piano Odyssey

#1337445 - 12/30/09 09:41 PM Re: PIANO WORLD- the first years... [Re: piqué]
signa Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ohio, USA
the coffee room was insane sometimes, where you can read everything from WMD to Bush vs. Gore and etc. and believe it or not, many people argued about WMD as if it really existed somewhere in a Iraq secret place... just think how insane and intense that coffee room became then... so, it was closed forever, and i don't miss it.

#1337466 - 12/30/09 10:06 PM Re: PIANO WORLD- the first years... [Re: signa]
Elene Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: under monsoon clouds
I can't believe I've been hanging around here for 2 years now, mostly in the Devoted to Chopin corner. I remember quite a few years ago looking for something like this, but it didn't yet exist. (I'd been in a lute discussion group where the flames flew thick and fast, and had had enough of that!)

At Piano World I've met some of the most fascinating people I've encountered in my whole life, and I feel privileged to count them as friends. Thank you to everyone!

Elene

Blog: http://elenedom.wordpress.com

#1337468 - 12/30/09 10:08 PM Re: PIANO WORLD- the first years... [Re: Elene]
P I A N O piano Offline

Loc: Ann Arbor, Michigan
seems like this would make a great story on NPR...
Schubert, Moments Musicaux,No.4 in C Sharp Minor;
Beethoven, Sonata no. 15 in D major, op. 28 (Pastoral)
teacher: Katherine Teves Mizruchi, Ann Arbor, MI
Steinway B

#1337475 - 12/30/09 10:25 PM Re: PIANO WORLD- the first years... [Re: P I A N O piano]
DragonPianoPlayer Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Denver, CO

#1337503 - 12/30/09 11:00 PM Re: PIANO WORLD- the first years... [Re: piqué]
Numerian Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: piqué
"dark eyes" in russian (transliterated) is chornaya glaza. was there really a screen handle here by that name?

i missed that contribution.

Wasn't it something like "Ochi chernye", named after the song?

#1337505 - 12/30/09 11:02 PM Re: PIANO WORLD- the first years... [Re: signa]
Horowitzian Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: signa
the coffee room was insane sometimes, where you can read everything from WMD to Bush vs. Gore and etc. and believe it or not, many people argued about WMD as if it really existed somewhere in a Iraq secret place... just think how insane and intense that coffee room became then... so, it was closed forever, and i don't miss it.

Hmmmm...do I hear a can opener? grin

#1337522 - 12/30/09 11:14 PM Re: PIANO WORLD- the first years... [Re: jotur]
LiszThalberg Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: jotur

Fun stuff.

Was that the one trying to sell SoftMozart in the teachers forum? That's when I first came on.

Cathy

Yep, good times... I also think that there was some hate messages on the SoftMozart forums that basically wanted an all our war between the forums or somethign like that. Gotta love the internet.

#1337525 - 12/30/09 11:17 PM Re: PIANO WORLD- the first years... [Re: Horowitzian]
Damon Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: St. Louis area
Originally Posted By: Horowitzian

I'm stifling an urge. smile

#1337531 - 12/30/09 11:25 PM Re: PIANO WORLD- the first years... [Re: Damon]
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
Well, I'll 'fess up. I was roped in by the softmozart stuff smile I'm much less naive now.

(I'll also 'fess up to being the only person my age I know who will admit to getting signatures in favor of the Vietnam war when I was college. I'm much less naive now.) (oh - what was that sound? a can opener?)

DPP - lol

Cathy

#1337655 - 12/31/09 06:08 AM Re: PIANO WORLD- the first years... [Re: jotur]
-Frycek Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: SC Mountains
Originally Posted By: jotur
Well, I'll 'fess up. I was roped in by the softmozart stuff smile I'm much less naive now.

It's still around: Soft Mozart
Is is snake oil? Was "Dark Eyes" this Valeri Koukhtiev?
(Frycek loves a good scandal.)

#1337692 - 12/31/09 08:38 AM Re: PIANO WORLD- the first years... [Re: -Frycek]
loveschopintoomuch Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Illinois
I owe so much to Piano World and to the people who have posted and continue to post here. I have been informed, inspired, awed, amused, entertained, enthralled, moved, motivated and most important -- supported.

Like many of us, I was an "off and on" again pianist. Mostly "off," I'm afraid. Lack of patience and easily frustrated, the piano was an instrument of torture for me for many years. But reading of the experiences of people here, I discovered I was not alone. AND I found so much encouragement that I finally, and with long-lost confidence, sat down on that bench and began to realize that I did possess the ability to play quite well, if I just didn't quit. My mantra became "Don't give up!"

I want to thank each and every one of you and Frank, a very special debt of gratitude for creating this amazing place. It is my life-line. heart

My hopes for a happy and healthy New Year to all,
Kathleen

#1337830 - 12/31/09 12:17 PM Re: PIANO WORLD- the first years... [Re: Damon]
Horowitzian Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Damon
Originally Posted By: Horowitzian

I'm stifling an urge. smile

smile

#1337870 - 12/31/09 01:08 PM Re: PIANO WORLD- the first years... [Re: loveschopintoomuch]
LiszThalberg Offline
3000 Post Club Member

WAsn't it Olenka?

#1337883 - 12/31/09 01:23 PM Re: PIANO WORLD- the first years... [Re: LiszThalberg]
jazzyprof Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ann Arbor, MI
WAsn't it Olenka?

She had several incarnations as lenkaolenka, ochy_cherniye, etc....

#1337887 - 12/31/09 01:29 PM Re: PIANO WORLD- the first years... [Re: LiszThalberg]
BruceD Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Victoria, BC
I've been around here since before this incarnation of PW, and there are both constants and variables that reinforce "plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."

There were a few passionate, informed pianists who wrote intelligently and articulately about music they knew a great deal about. I miss them and their posts. That characteristic, however, has not changed, even though the particular individuals have long since disappeared. They have been replaced by others, equally passionate, equally articulate and equally well-informed. This is one reason I keep coming back here.

There have also come and gone those who knew little but who wrote, unashamedly, a lot about what they didn't know. That characteristic seems ever present.

There always have been - and undoubtedly always will be - those enthusiastic students in their first year of lessons - or their first year of teaching themselves - who will ask how long it will take them to master "La Campanella, if I start right now, since I've been already been playing the piano for six months."

There also have been a number of genuinely inquisitive pianists, not yet well-trained or advanced in classical music, who have come (and gone) but who, during their short appearances here, asked questions that showed a growing love of music and a willingness to learn from others. I often wonder what has happened to some of them and hope that their musical interests continue to grow.

Those of us who have long been "permanent residents" of this forum owe so much, I believe, to Frank. Without his efforts and interest, some of us would be vox clamans in deserto or as a piano without a soundboard!

Thank you, Frank! Happy New Year to you and to all here.

Regards,

#1338090 - 12/31/09 06:39 PM Re: PIANO WORLD- the first years... [Re: loveschopintoomuch]
Phlebas Offline

Loc: New York City
Originally Posted By: loveschopintoomuch
I owe so much to Piano World and to the people who have posted and continue to post here. I have been informed, inspired, awed, amused, entertained, enthralled, moved, motivated and most important -- supported.

Like many of us, I was an "off and on" again pianist. Mostly "off," I'm afraid. Lack of patience and easily frustrated, the piano was an instrument of torture for me for many years. But reading of the experiences of people here, I discovered I was not alone. AND I found so much encouragement that I finally, and with long-lost confidence, sat down on that bench and began to realize that I did possess the ability to play quite well, if I just didn't quit. My mantra became "Don't give up!"

I want to thank each and every one of you and Frank, a very special debt of gratitude for creating this amazing place. It is my life-line. heart

My hopes for a happy and healthy New Year to all,
Kathleen

Frédéric Chopin was a great composer to start a thread on.

Regular posters in ABF ran with it.

Another good idea would be Mozart, Beethoven or Schumann.

Understandably though, Chopin seems to touch a lot of people.

Don't let that stop you from looking at other composers though.

Edited by Phlebas (12/31/09 06:42 PM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
LAST CALL - Piano Newsletter Ideas!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
161 registered (88 Fingers Jeff, accordeur, acortot, 36251, 33 invisible), 1913 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75487 Members
42 Forums
156097 Topics
2292241 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Wurlitzer electric piano sound
by 88 Fingers Jeff
07/23/14 01:24 PM
LAST CALL - Piano Newsletter Ideas!
by Piano World
07/23/14 01:05 PM
Newbie Needs Help
by PianoJill
07/23/14 12:25 PM
fingering suggestions, please
by riley80
07/23/14 11:14 AM
Yamaha P105 for outdoors ???
by musicmad
07/23/14 11:10 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission