Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 ... 11 12 >
Topic Options
#1338587 - 01/01/10 04:57 PM Are you weird?...
gooddog Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle area, WA
...or is it just me?

Another boring party. I’m just not that interested in television, what’s playing in the movies and sports. When I tell people I’m deeply into classical piano, they say, “Oh,” and the conversation doesn’t progress. (I’d love to exchange ideas about composers, interpretation, technique, musicians and repertoire). When I tell them I teach high school science, their eyes go blank and they run in terror. Of course, when I ask them about themselves, they’ll talk on until my eyes cross. I’m pretty comfortable being different but I really do miss having conversations about things that interest me. I'd love to learn something new besides who won American Idol. (Yawn). You too?

Deborah

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1338588 - 01/01/10 05:01 PM Re: Are you weird?... [Re: gooddog]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Land of the never-ending music
YES!!!!!

Music is my best friend.

#1338589 - 01/01/10 05:01 PM Re: Are you weird?... [Re: gooddog]
Nikalette Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: California
Well, in light social conversation, in the USA, it's really not about getting into depth in any topic, but exchanging small tack with people for socialization. Just friendly light social talk until you run into someone (if) you have something in common with.

It's a different story in France.

#1338598 - 01/01/10 05:10 PM Re: Are you weird?... [Re: Nikalette]
Mark_C Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
I'm lucky to also be real interested in sports, and pretty curious about what's on TV (although I can't much contribute to that discussion). smile

And I'd be curious as heil to hear all about your teaching h.s. science. I'd have millions of questions.

So I guess I am weird. ha

#1338608 - 01/01/10 05:22 PM Re: Are you weird?... [Re: gooddog]
Piano Again Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Washington metro
Originally Posted By: gooddog
...or is it just me?

Another boring party. I’m just not that interested in television, what’s playing in the movies and sports. When I tell people I’m deeply into classical piano, they say, “Oh,” and the conversation doesn’t progress. (I’d love to exchange ideas about composers, interpretation, technique, musicians and repertoire). When I tell them I teach high school science, their eyes go blank and they run in terror. Of course, when I ask them about themselves, they’ll talk on until my eyes cross. I’m pretty comfortable being different but I really do miss having conversations about things that interest me. I'd love to learn something new besides who won American Idol. (Yawn). You too?

+1

I don't watch TV and have no interest in sports. I do like movies, but generally not the big studio ones shown at multiplexes. This is why I have just about nothing to talk about with most of the people at work (weather, anyone?) and spend so much time here.

Parties ... well, I don't talk much at parties.

Check out my blog !

#1338610 - 01/01/10 05:23 PM Re: Are you weird?... [Re: Piano Again]
-Frycek Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: SC Mountains
Yes, I'm weird. All my friends are here.

I have no life. My day job is incomprehensible to anyone outside pathology. I raise palms and cycads. (They don't need much.) I read detective stories and I practice.

#1338613 - 01/01/10 05:30 PM Re: Are you weird?... [Re: Nikalette]
gooddog Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Nikalette
Well, in light social conversation, in the USA, it's really not about getting into depth in any topic, but exchanging small tack with people for socialization. Just friendly light social talk.
I hate it. It's such a bore.

Quote:
It's a different story in France.
What do you mean?
Originally Posted By: -Frycek
Yes, I'm weird. All my friends are here.
I have no life. My day job is incomprehensible to anyone outside pathology.
I think pathology is fascinating. Exactly what do you do?
Quote:
I raise palms and cycads. (They don't need much.) I read detective stories and I practice.
I'd love to learn about cycads. They're some of the most primitive plants. Very cool when talking about evolution. I read political thrillers and piano books.

Deborah

#1338614 - 01/01/10 05:31 PM Re: Are you weird?... [Re: gooddog]
Horowitzian Offline
8000 Post Club Member

...or is it just me?

I am weird too. smile I couldn't care less about American Idol anymore. Bloody cheat, that show is. mad

#1338616 - 01/01/10 05:32 PM Re: Are you weird?... [Re: gooddog]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

People dump me after talking to me for a few minutes....

Music is my best friend.

#1338617 - 01/01/10 05:36 PM Re: Are you weird?... [Re: -Frycek]
jnod Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto
You are not alone!

By day I'm a microbiologist and spend my time studying how cells interact with antibiotics and other small molecules. I love my work but am usually unable to explain my excitement to most of people I meet.

Then, when music comes up and I get all animated about how a guy on this site showed me where original Beethoven scores are available online so that you can compare your particular 'urtext' to what LvB actually meant, well, it tends not to go well.

But you know, consider the options. I was at a party last night where I was introduced to a guy who apparently has what is a 'dream job for boys'. He's CFO for a company that develops video games. What?

I wouldn't trade with any of the normal people out there - would you?

Happy New Years everyone!
Bach English Suite #5
Scarlatti Sonata K141 . L422
Mozart Sonata K333
Schubert Impromptu opus 90 D899
Schubert Moment Musicaux opus 94 D780

#1338618 - 01/01/10 05:37 PM Re: Are you weird?... [Re: gooddog]
Ludwig van Bilge Offline

When I tell them I teach high school science, their eyes go blank and they run in terror.

Okay, Here's a question I've been wanting to ask a HS science teacher. One day I was poking about in Yahoo Answers in the section where kids go to cheat on their homework. Somebody asked what keeps the moon in orbit around the earth. Several of the answers spoke about a balance between centrifugal & centripetal forces of gravity. I was thunderstruck. Is it possible that a nearly a century after Einstein taught us Relativity we're still teaching Newtonian gravity in school??

P.S. Who did win American Idol?

#1338619 - 01/01/10 05:37 PM Re: Are you weird?... [Re: ChopinAddict]
Piano Again Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Washington metro
Originally Posted By: ChopinAddict

You're just not talking to the right people, obviously . . . I've gotten to the point in my life where I'm relieved when the bores get bored with me. grin

Check out my blog !

#1338621 - 01/01/10 05:38 PM Re: Are you weird?... [Re: ChopinAddict]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

What really irritates me is when they want me to become like them.... Like when they say I am depressed because of the music I listen to, and that I should listen to modern music, rap etc... How do they know what I like????

Music is my best friend.

#1338622 - 01/01/10 05:39 PM Re: Are you weird?... [Re: Piano Again]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Piano Again
Originally Posted By: ChopinAddict

You're just not talking to the right people, obviously . . . I've gotten to the point in my life where I'm relieved when the bores get bored with me. grin

I don't find the right people.... I have been searching all my life.... I mean in real life... The Internet is a different thing, like my friends here.

Music is my best friend.

#1338623 - 01/01/10 05:39 PM Re: Are you weird?... [Re: Ludwig van Bilge]
gooddog Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Ludwig van Bilge
When I tell them I teach high school science, their eyes go blank and they run in terror.

Okay, Here's a question I've been wanting to ask a HS science teacher. Is it possible that a nearly a century after Einstein taught us Relativity we're still teaching Newtonian gravity in school??
Sorry, I'm a biologist with medical background. Physics is not my area and I wouldn't be able to answer you any better.

jnod and -Frycek, it's too bad we can't get together. It would be really neat to talk about microbiology, pathology and cutting edge biomedical research. (My middle son is studying neurobiology. We have some great conversations but no one else has a clue what we are talking about.)

Deborah

#1338624 - 01/01/10 05:39 PM Re: Are you weird?... [Re: Ludwig van Bilge]
argerichfan Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pacific Northwest, US.

The wrong person. tiki

#1338626 - 01/01/10 05:42 PM Re: Are you weird?... [Re: argerichfan]
Horowitzian Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: argerichfan

The wrong person. tiki

Exactly. tiki

#1338627 - 01/01/10 05:44 PM Re: Are you weird?... [Re: Ludwig van Bilge]
Horowitzian Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Okay, Here's a question I've been wanting to ask a HS science teacher. One day I was poking about in Yahoo Answers in the section where kids go to cheat on their homework. Somebody asked what keeps the moon in orbit around the earth. Several of the answers spoke about a balance between centrifugal & centripetal forces of gravity. I was thunderstruck. Is it possible that a nearly a century after Einstein taught us Relativity we're still teaching Newtonian gravity in school??
[...]

Because, like the Bohr model of the atom, Newtonian physics is almost right and much easier to understand for people just beginning.

Nowadays, the quantum mechanical model of the atom is preferred, but the Bohr model is still being taught at the HS level because it is much easier to understand. Besides, how could one expect high school students to study relativity beyond a purely qualitative analysis?

#1338633 - 01/01/10 05:51 PM Re: Are you weird?... [Re: Horowitzian]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Horowitzian
Originally Posted By: argerichfan

The wrong person. tiki

Exactly. tiki

I didn't even know there was an Australian Idol until last year.... And it was the seventh AI this year, so I didn't notice for 5 years! But I don't watch TV blush ...

Music is my best friend.

#1338644 - 01/01/10 06:03 PM Re: Are you weird?... [Re: Horowitzian]
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
I am fortunate in my friends. One of them is a middle school science teacher, so we talk about solar system models and how we think in algbebraic ways every day. One is an Aids researcher, one is a volcanologist, one a physicist, one a nutritionist, one an architect, etc. None of us watch American Idol laugh We do, however, dance and play music, so we also talk about music and learning music and music theory and ensemble work, et al. From what I can tell from here it's harder for those who play classical, and therefore mostly play solo, to meet other musicians than for those of us who play folk, where bands and groups are de rigueur, but it works for me smile And for the holidays, fortunately, my family is all weird, too laugh

Cathy

#1338645 - 01/01/10 06:03 PM Re: Are you weird?... [Re: Horowitzian]
jnod Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto
Agreed generally with Horowitzian though Einstein's view on gravity, motion etc can be taught without all the math and can be certainly explained to high school students.

Einstein developed many of his concepts though thought experiments where he imagined common experiences under uncommon conditions. The best known example is his ride on a streetcar away from a clock tower on his way to work. He imagined what would happen if instead of going 25 km/hour or whatever, he literally rode on the beam of light as it bounced off the clock. How would his experience of things around him change? The answers get progressively weirder as you move from considering how relative time changes (ie on the streetcar vs on the street) to how relative mass changes. The result (along with a bunch of other stuff) is the Special Theory of Relativity.

Similarly I would say quantum theory can be taught at a level high school students could understand using thought experiments like the Schrodinger cat idea. The main benefit of this stuff is that it's incredibly interesting!! Not to take anything away from Newton et al, but 20th c physics is totally mind-blowing. Great way to turn high school kids, at least some of them, onto science for its own sake.
Bach English Suite #5
Scarlatti Sonata K141 . L422
Mozart Sonata K333
Schubert Impromptu opus 90 D899
Schubert Moment Musicaux opus 94 D780

#1338647 - 01/01/10 06:05 PM Re: Are you weird?... [Re: gooddog]
Tweedpipe Offline

...or is it just me?

What's American Idol?

Sometimes at parties, people find me a little weird.
However I hope their views change after the publication of my latest book entitled, 'A Truss Full Of Lentils'.
The Unicorns

------------------------------

#1338649 - 01/01/10 06:06 PM Re: Are you weird?... [Re: gooddog]
Arghhh Offline
1000 Post Club Member

...or is it just me?

You're right - all those other people are weird.

#1338653 - 01/01/10 06:13 PM Re: Are you weird?... [Re: jnod]
Horowitzian Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: jnod
Agreed generally with Horowitzian though Einstein's view on gravity, motion etc can be taught without all the math and can be certainly explained to high school students.

Einstein developed many of his concepts though thought experiments where he imagined common experiences under uncommon conditions. The best known example is his ride on a streetcar away from a clock tower on his way to work. He imagined what would happen if instead of going 25 km/hour or whatever, he literally rode on the beam of light as it bounced off the clock. How would his experience of things around him change? The answers get progressively weirder as you move from considering how relative time changes (ie on the streetcar vs on the street) to how relative mass changes. The result (along with a bunch of other stuff) is the Special Theory of Relativity.

Similarly I would say quantum theory can be taught at a level high school students could understand using thought experiments like the Schrodinger cat idea. The main benefit of this stuff is that it's incredibly interesting!! Not to take anything away from Newton et al, but 20th c physics is totally mind-blowing. Great way to turn high school kids, at least some of them, onto science for its own sake.

Yes, I agree. That's why I said "qualitative analysis". smile It is fascinating. thumb

What's even more mind-blowing to me is how powerful quantum mechanics and the various ideas that spin off of it is for explaining a lot of things we see. Chemists, for example, still use Lewis bonding theory because it is a powerful tool for predicting molecular geometry. However, both Lewis Theory and the more advanced Valence Bond Theory fail to explain why the oxygen molecule is paramagnetic (attracted by a magnet). Both indicate that it has no unpaired electrons and therefore should be diamagnetic. But experimental data shows that oxygen is attracted to magnets. The very powerful Molecular Orbital Theory reveals that the oxygen molecule does indeed have an unpaired electron in an antibonding orbital that results in the molecule being paramagnetic.

#1338655 - 01/01/10 06:14 PM Re: Are you weird?... [Re: ChopinAddict]
sotto voce Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Briarcliff Manor, NY, USA
Everybody is somebody's weirdo. smile

I watch a lot of television, I keep Netflix busy and I'm interested in other aspects of popular culture, too. I can make conversation and "pass" for normal if I wish, but I don't really enjoy the company of people unless there's that special spark shared by kindred spirits.

I was definitely a weird kid (Aspergers, I reckon, though it was decades before it had a name), but as a young adult—especially during my years at UCLA and later when I was a newcomer to New York City—there was a seemingly endless supply of interesting people with whom to socialize (or not).

I'm relatively isolated now, and that's fine, too; social events, and the attendant pressure to be "on," are more exhausting now than ever. Often alone, never lonely is a credo that's always worked for me.

Steven

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats."
—Albert Schweitzer

Chopin: Allegro de Concert Op. 46
Schumann: Toccata Op. 7
Fauré: Ballade Op. 19

#1338659 - 01/01/10 06:19 PM Re: Are you weird?... [Re: Ludwig van Bilge]
Mark_C Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
.....Okay, Here's a question I've been wanting to ask a HS science teacher. One day I was poking about in Yahoo Answers in the section where kids go to cheat on their homework. Somebody asked what keeps the moon in orbit around the earth. Several of the answers spoke about a balance between centrifugal & centripetal forces of gravity. I was thunderstruck. Is it possible that a nearly a century after Einstein taught us Relativity we're still teaching Newtonian gravity in school??.....

Perfect example of the millions of things I'd want to ask too. ha

#1338661 - 01/01/10 06:23 PM Re: Are you weird?... [Re: sotto voce]
thumper49 Offline

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Quote:
Everybody is somebody's weirdo

Couldn't agree more. And I had the same experience as sotto voce when I left my small town home to attend university -- all of a sudden there were a lot of people just like me to talk to if I felt like it. I'm good company for myself, fortunately.

Currently working on: Suzuki Piano School, book 4, second half

#1338666 - 01/01/10 06:26 PM Re: Are you weird?... [Re: sotto voce]
Canonie Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
Hi gooddog, come on over and play all your works in progress and discuss Everything to do with piano and the great challenges of mastering it... If only!!

I really need a piano friend or two. No wonder i am enjoying lessons so much, but an unpaid friend would be nice smile I'm sure I'll find one soon enough, and my very best piano-friend will come back from overseas.

I'm a happy socialiser and don't mind talking about many things. Except TV! - mine exploded many years ago rather loudly with a bright flash. Then I noticed my house was nicer without it so I never replaced it. I get more music done with no tv.

Composers manufacture a product that is universally deemed superfluous—at least until their music enters public consciousness, at which point people begin to say that they could not live without it.
Alex Ross.

#1338667 - 01/01/10 06:28 PM Re: Are you weird?... [Re: Canonie]
landorrano Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: France
Socialise: the English language has some strange words.

#1338668 - 01/01/10 06:29 PM Re: Are you weird?... [Re: sotto voce]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: sotto voce
Everybody is somebody's weirdo. smile

Often alone, never lonely is a credo that's always worked for me.

Steven

That's a good credo.... smile I will make it my own.

I think they gave a name to Asperger's in the 90s. They like to give names to everything these days, like "social phobia" for "shyness"... They have given several names to my weirdness, but the main one remains Asperger's, which is OK because I like to be an aspie... laugh

Music is my best friend.

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 ... 11 12 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
147 registered (36251, ajames, AndresD, aDino, 39 invisible), 1750 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75584 Members
42 Forums
156282 Topics
2295191 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Some interesting finds in a museum visit today!
by LarryShone
36 minutes 12 seconds ago
Help with a Bluthner
by Classicalist
47 minutes 40 seconds ago
Yamaha DGX650 - looking for an alternative! Need advice
by Karinioza
Today at 11:51 AM
Piano oriented film soundtracks/scores.
by aDino
Today at 11:21 AM
Help with dynamics
by noobpianist90
Today at 03:53 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission