2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
36 members (fullerphoto, Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, 3 invisible), 1,338 guests, and 284 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1336610 12/29/09 10:42 PM
OP Offline
Does anyone have the sheet music to this. And was it the inspiration for the 60's hit, 'A Lover's Concerto'? ....'how gentle is the rain...' I love the melody.

“Some people stay far away from the door if there’s a chance of it opening up. They hear a voice in the hall outside and hope that it just passes by.” Billy Joel

1970 Baldwin Hamilton
C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
Google for "Bach minuet in G free sheet music" and you will find many hits. I'm guessing you are looking for the minuet in G from the notebook for Anna Magdalena Bach (there are other Bach minuets in G), I found one copy here,

http://www.musicandyou.com/free_pianolesson_intermediate/Bach2.pdf

I'm sure there are other copies available.

OP Offline
Thanks Chris!

“Some people stay far away from the door if there’s a chance of it opening up. They hear a voice in the hall outside and hope that it just passes by.” Billy Joel

1970 Baldwin Hamilton
C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by HappyApple
Does anyone have the sheet music to this. And was it the inspiration for the 60's hit, 'A Lover's Concerto'? ....'how gentle is the rain...'
aaaugh, I just had a flashback to the sixties help
Yes, it is the same tune. Well, sort of. They turned 3-time into 4-time, so make sure you count it right smile

(PS, I liked your canon slideshow smile )

Du holde Kunst...
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
HappyApple, you can also find a lot of scores here: http://imslp.org/wiki/Main_Page smile

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Here's the first page of 2 of the JS Bach Minuet in G.
[Linked Image]

btb #1336990 12/30/09 12:31 PM
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Realize through that many editors put in their own dynamic markings even though in Baroque music dynamics for the most part weren't an option for composers.

Working On:

BACH: Invention No. 13 in a min.
GRIEG: Notturno Op. 54 No. 4
VILLA-LOBOS: O Polichinelo

Next Up:

BACH: Keyboard Concerto in f minor
M
M
Originally Posted by Chris G

I'm sure there are other copies available.

I think the Mutopia version is easier to read (less space between notes): http://www.mutopiaproject.org/ftp/BachJS/BWVAnh114/anna-magdalena-04/anna-magdalena-04-let.pdf

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Has it been established that this piece is actually by Bach? I've seen it ascribed to other composers.....

Justin
-------
Bach English Suite #5
Scarlatti Sonata K141 . L422
Mozart Sonata K333
Schubert Impromptu opus 90 D899
Schubert Moment Musicaux opus 94 D780
jnod #1338063 12/31/09 07:09 PM
G
Gary001
Unregistered
Gary001
Unregistered
G
Originally Posted by jnod
Has it been established that this piece is actually by Bach? I've seen it ascribed to other composers.....

Christian Petzold according to my copy of it.

#1338303 01/01/10 07:10 AM
L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L
The menuet in G-major and the menuet in G-minor were conceived as mirror images of each other, and to be played together as movements of a single work: G-major, then G-minor, then G-major.

The version posted above, with schmaltzy dynamics and legato indications, and without ornaments is to be avoided at all costs.

btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
With respect ... chappie from Andorra ... we'd appreciate verifying (with link) your claim:

"The menuet in G-major and the menuet in G-minor were conceived as mirror images of each other, and to be played together as movements of a single work: G-major, then G-minor, then G-major."

I'm not sure the ABRSM would appreciate your bland "Schmaltzy" opinion of the posted Minuet in G by Bach ... from their examination album selection of 18 Pieces from A LITTLE NOTEBOOK for Anna Magdalena Bach.

PS The score to the Minuet in G, kindly submitted by Martin D. Doege from Hamburg is the same as the ABRSM version ... what's the beef?

btb #1338480 01/01/10 02:17 PM
L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by btb
With respect ... chappie from Andorra ... we'd appreciate verifying (with link) your claim:

Had a chat with Old Bach, told me so himself. Insists on presenting each menuet on it's own page, face to face, so that youngsters can visualise the symmetry. He was categorical about that.

No link, Bach doesn't twitter.

As for "schmaltzy", I was just toning down what he had to say about the ABRSM.

btb #1339021 01/02/10 06:38 AM
K
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by btb

"The menuet in G-major and the menuet in G-minor were conceived as mirror images of each other, and to be played together as movements of a single work: G-major, then G-minor, then G-major."

I'm not sure the ABRSM would appreciate your bland "Schmaltzy" opinion of the posted Minuet in G by Bach ... from their examination album selection of 18 Pieces from A LITTLE NOTEBOOK for Anna Magdalena Bach.

PS The score to the Minuet in G, kindly submitted by Martin D. Doege from Hamburg is the same as the ABRSM version ... what's the beef?

It's not the same as my ABSRM version, which is somewhat odd.

I have this one:

http://www.abrsm.org/publishing/publications/1867

My version has no legato markings, and shows extensive ornamentation -- which I imagine would have been played, whether they actually written into the score by Bach/Petzold/whoever.

I find it mildly odd that two versions of the same piece from the same imprint should be so different, but then I suspect that they're aimed at different people.

FWIW, my understanding is that the authorship of the Minuet in G is still contested, and unlikely to be resolved conclusively.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by landorrano
The menuet in G-major and the menuet in G-minor were conceived as mirror images of each other, and to be played together as movements of a single work: G-major, then G-minor, then G-major.

Yes it's a shame that the G minor is not more often reproduced next to its twin in music books. I find the G minor one so lovely, the last 8 bars especially. I don't really enjoy the Gmajor on its own, either i've heard it too much or have buried memories of struggling with its difficulties as a child.

Discovering the G min as an adult was a nice surprise.

[Linked Image]
Composers manufacture a product that is universally deemed superfluous—at least until their music enters public consciousness, at which point people begin to say that they could not live without it.
Alex Ross.
K
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by Canonie
Originally Posted by landorrano

Yes it's a shame that the G minor is not more often reproduced next to its twin in music books. I find the G minor one so lovely, the last 8 bars especially. I don't really enjoy the Gmajor on its own, either i've heard it too much or have buried memories of struggling with its difficulties as a child.

Discovering the G min as an adult was a nice surprise.

FWIW the ABRSM version I linked above does have these pieces reproduced back-to-back, along with the instruction to play one after the other.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hi Kevin, I had clicked on the link but didn't try and look further. Good to hear that they have published the pair - I think a lot of ppl will enjoy that grin In the meantime I just listened to "bachscholar" on youtube who played only the major, then followed it with different piece frown I am just off to play it now (sigh...)

[Linked Image]
Composers manufacture a product that is universally deemed superfluous—at least until their music enters public consciousness, at which point people begin to say that they could not live without it.
Alex Ross.
btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
The Andorra-chappie’s brassy comment had me going for a while:

"The menuet in G-major and the menuet in G-minor were conceived as mirror images of each other, and to be played together as movements of a single work: G-major, then G-minor, then G-major . The version posted above, with schmaltzy dynamics and legato indications, and without ornaments is to be avoided at all costs. "

until I took the trouble to play and compare both major and minor G minuets.

Here’s a copy of the minor G minuet to compare with the Major G minuet previously posted.

It should be noted that the shapes of the two minuets are totally dissimilar ... however, fragments of identical note patterns (sometimes at different pitches) are echoed in the G minor minuet. (Eg. the 4-notes at major m1 are identical at minor m3).

[Linked Image]

btb #1339193 01/02/10 02:00 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
The Einstein raspberry avatar does the respected al-mahed little credit (apparently from nowhere and without a piano) ... the watchword on the Forum is friendly co-operation.

The a-m liking for the Bach Minuet in G (as for most) could well be the simplicity of the format ... a single-note outline in two hands (with a brief chord at start and finish) .

The ever-considerate JSB got his dear daughter Anna Magdalena started on a none-too-taxing repeatable 16 measure gem ... with similar 16m variation.

Bach charmingly said of his family

"They are one and all born musicians, and I assure you that I can already form a concert, both vocal and instrumental, of my own family, particularly as my wife sings a clear soprano, and my eldest daughter joins in bravely. "

Here’s how my lot see the Minuet in G ... in MIDI format.
[Linked Image]

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission