Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1339031 - 01/02/10 06:14 AM Questions about workstations with keys and a rack version
champy Offline

I have a question regarding to a workstation with keys and a rack version. Let use Motif Xs as a example. What are differences between buying a Motif Xs7 and getting a Motif XS rack and hook it up with a midi keyboard? Other than having keys and not having keys, I notice that a rack version has way less button, knobs and sliders than the version with keys. The screen is also much smaller? So does it mean that it is easier to navigate and edit sounds using the workstation with keys than a rack version? Is it more complicate to change patches and setting?
Also, can I record myself in into the rack version? Are there sequencing program in the rack version?

Let's say I have myself a midi keyboard with knobs and sliders already. Are there any reasons I should consider buying a workstation with keys? Or getting a rack version is definitely a more make-sense choice because it is much cheaper?

(ad) Roland

Click Here

#1339044 - 01/02/10 07:02 AM Re: Questions about workstations with keys and a rack version [Re: champy]
Dr Popper Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hancock Park LA (not again)
The rack version is really mainly used within a DAW enviroment you can use a midi keyboard but navigation is better with the keyed version unless you have the rack hooked up to the DAW. Most people use the MotifXS rack as a VST style instrument within their DAW application. I use Logic and Cubase 5 a lot but I don't have any rack mounts I prefer the control and instant ability to edit directly on the Keyboard so I have a Motif XS-8 and a S90XS (which requires software for editing voices and sequencing but can play midi sequences and edit effects stand alone). If you want a Keyboard that can do everything right in front of you without having it connected to a computer the normal keyed version of the XS is the right choice. If you are concerned abut being able to play it all live easily (MotifXS is a mess live) and don't want to take your DAW setup onstage well Yamaha designed the S90XS for exactly that purpose.

#1339075 - 01/02/10 09:03 AM Re: Questions about workstations with keys and a rack version [Re: Dr Popper]
wildpaws Offline

Loc: Richmond, VA
Rack versions are also used by many as a sound expander for their master keyboard, for instance I used a TX802 rack along with my DX7IIFD. Most rack versions do not have the sequencer found in the keyboard workstation version, so the TG77 rack does not have the sequencer found on the SY77. Racks are usually harder to edit from their front panel than the keyboard version, many really need editor/librarian software to make it easier.
Clyde

#1339147 - 01/02/10 11:13 AM Re: Questions about workstations with keys and a rack versio [Re: champy]
ChrisA Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Redondo Beach, California
The keyboard is really two devices, a tone generator and a midi controller, the rack mount unit has just one function so you'd expect the rack mount unit to have fewer controls

What ou need to do is download and read the user manual. They are available on-line. Knowing if the unit has the funtionalty you need is not enough you want to see if it has a usable interface and if you can make sens of the user manual.

My opinion is that a computer as cheaper. I can buy a Macbook for the price of an XS and have $500 left over to buy Logic Pro and an audio/midi interface

#1339162 - 01/02/10 11:44 AM Re: Questions about workstations with keys and a rack version [Re: Dr Popper]
champy Offline

Originally Posted By: Dr Popper
(MotifXS is a mess live)

You mean the rack version or a keyed version?

#1339201 - 01/02/10 01:08 PM Re: Questions about workstations with keys and a rack versio [Re: ChrisA]
wildpaws Offline

Loc: Richmond, VA
Originally Posted By: ChrisA
The keyboard is really two devices, a tone generator and a midi controller, the rack mount unit has just one function so you'd expect the rack mount unit to have fewer controls

What ou need to do is download and read the user manual. They are available on-line. Knowing if the unit has the funtionalty you need is not enough you want to see if it has a usable interface and if you can make sens of the user manual.

My opinion is that a computer as cheaper. I can buy a Macbook for the price of an XS and have $500 left over to buy Logic Pro and an audio/midi interface

And then hope your computer/software doesn't crash in the middle of a live performance or the middle of recording a track. For my needs, I have found it better to take the computer out of my system and work on hardware only, less time spent solving computer/software issues and more time spent on creativity, writing, and recording.
Clyde

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
144 registered (Almaviva, 36251, ADWyatt, accordeur, 48 invisible), 1659 Guests and 40 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74257 Members
42 Forums
153603 Topics
2251253 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
DIsassemble Kawai MP10/MP11
by prox
Today at 10:59 AM
Action regulating
by pater57
Today at 08:59 AM
Kurzweil SP5-8 as main studio keyboard/stage piano
by Barty
Today at 08:33 AM
Greg Pauley in Concert June 1st, Sunday 3:30pm
by Larry Buck
Today at 07:58 AM
Happy Easter!
by Marko in Boston
Today at 06:58 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission