Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#1339065 - 01/02/10 08:36 AM YouTube Comments
cardguy Offline
500 Post Club Member

I'm guessing this has been talked about before. Why oh why can't I stop reading these things, because they are truly depressing.

"I really love this song. LOL"

(In response to a surpassingly difficult Chopin etude) "I played this song 10 years ago. My teacher liked the way I played it. LOL."

"Can anyone tell me where I can get the sheets to this song? LOL"

I'm just making these up as I go along, but catches the flavor I think.

Accuse me of elitism if you want, or perhaps grumpy old mannism, but I can't shake the depressing sense that our culture is in decline. I suppose one could argue that these are just kids, and the fact that they're listening to classical music is a good sign, but I'm a glass half empty kind of guy. If these re the best and the brightest, what about the rest of them?

Of course, it's also true that I was a drooling idiot myself until I hit 40 or so :-)

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1339095 - 01/02/10 10:00 AM Re: YouTube Comments [Re: cardguy]
sotto voce Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Briarcliff Manor, NY, USA
I think our culture is in decline, but I try to accept it with equanimity.

YouTube comments certainly seem like a showcase for insolent ignorance, and the lack of critical thinking and communication skills that's displayed (whether unwittingly or deliberately) is quite likely one gauge of our existential entropy.

I try to insulate myself from such disturbing crassness; like any train wreck, it's probably a good idea not to look! It really helps to have some personal safe space—a little corner of the world that isn't falling apart—even if it's in your mind. Hey, I reckon that's what "peace of mind" is. smile

Steven

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats."
—Albert Schweitzer

Chopin: Allegro de Concert Op. 46
Schumann: Toccata Op. 7
Fauré: Ballade Op. 19

#1339102 - 01/02/10 10:15 AM Re: YouTube Comments [Re: sotto voce]
mr_roberts_z Offline

Loc: Canada
I hate seeing every one of the examples Cardguy mentioned, but I absolutely loathe one other type: on a YT video specifically titled (just for example) "Hofmann: Chopin Military Polonaise (rec 1923), someone might comment "you play this song really well!".

This raises my blood pressure whenever I see it. How the commenter could possibly think the "song" is being played by the video uploader is beyond me.

#1339113 - 01/02/10 10:35 AM Re: YouTube Comments [Re: cardguy]
jcromp78 Offline

Loc: New York
While I enjoy rock and metal music I can't truly appreciate it the way I do classical music. For me classical music engages the mind and soul the way rock never could. I don't know if this generation is interested in that or not. I think they like the quick "high" that certain types of so-called music (like rap)give them. For some though I think they just have been raised on popular music right from birth and have been indoctrinated with the idea that classical music is just for older, rich people. I am thankful that I received a Tchaikovsky cassette when I was eigth or nine and was introduced to a whole new world of sound unlike any I had heard before. I probably said myself "this is a great song".

#1339118 - 01/02/10 10:40 AM Re: YouTube Comments [Re: jcromp78]
xtraheat Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: WV
Our culture is in decline because of this annoying elitism, not because someone is friendly and enthusiastic about something but doesn't know much about it...
Chopin Op.10 No.1
Bach WTC II no. 15

--Sam--

#1339131 - 01/02/10 10:56 AM Re: YouTube Comments [Re: xtraheat]
cardguy Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: xtraheat
Our culture is in decline because of this annoying elitism, not because someone is friendly and enthusiastic about something but doesn't know much about it...

"Friendly" and "enthusiastic" are the very last adjectives I'd use to characterize the majority of the responses I see, although I'll grant you that I am, as I've already stipulated, a pessimist when it comes to our culture at large.

I was having dinner with some friends recently and their 25 year old, college educated daughter was along. She was attractive, warm, personable, and also in my view shockingly ignorant for someone with a degree. She'd never heard of sunspots for just one example.

Now fine, again, perhaps I'm elitist, or maybe when I was 25 I didn't now what sunspots were...although Ii suspect I did... but if that's what we can expect from the well educated among today's youth, I think we're in trouble.

Edited by cardguy (01/02/10 11:02 AM)

#1339133 - 01/02/10 11:00 AM Re: YouTube Comments [Re: cardguy]
xtraheat Offline
500 Post Club Member

Your first example was: "I really love this song. LOL" That is pretty friendly and enthusiastic... Another one posted that made the posters "blood boil" was: "you play this song really well!" That is yet another friendly and enthusiastic comment by someone trying to give a nice comment, yet are somewhat confused
Chopin Op.10 No.1
Bach WTC II no. 15

--Sam--

#1339134 - 01/02/10 11:01 AM Re: YouTube Comments [Re: xtraheat]
sotto voce Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Briarcliff Manor, NY, USA
I think allegations of elitism are annoying.

Steven

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats."
—Albert Schweitzer

Chopin: Allegro de Concert Op. 46
Schumann: Toccata Op. 7
Fauré: Ballade Op. 19

#1339135 - 01/02/10 11:02 AM Re: YouTube Comments [Re: xtraheat]
babama Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Netherlands
It's not those kind of posts that bother me.

I have to say that, in general, there are mostly nice and even interesting comments at piano videos on youtube.

But sometimes, when I see completely idiotic posts at a rather obscure classical piano video, it makes me wonder how on earth those people ended up watching that video in the first place... or maybe I'm just disappointed that such rude and ignorant individuals are listening to classical music as well.

#1339136 - 01/02/10 11:04 AM Re: YouTube Comments [Re: xtraheat]
pianoloverus Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
I don't mind most of the Youtube comments, although I don't read them much. If someone is enthusiastic about a recording, that's good enough for me even if the expression of the enthusiasm seems to indicate the poster doesn't have much knowledge. IMO it's great just to have people who might not normally listen to classical music that often listening on Youtube.

Since the comments aren't moderated, one would naturally expect that some would be extremely vulgar or use profanity.

There are plenty of well educated people who know little about pianos or classical music. I once told an intelligent adult I was having serious problems with my piano(before I got my BB) and they replied "Oh, it needs a tuning?" Some very smart people who don't play any instrument have told me they thought that as long as one could read music(the notes), the pieces I play don't require any practice.

Edited by pianoloverus (01/02/10 01:48 PM)

#1339137 - 01/02/10 11:06 AM Re: YouTube Comments [Re: babama]
misspianoman Offline

Loc: The Netherlands
I actually like to read those comments, they make me laugh sometimes and laughing is good right?

But if you take no pleasure in reading those comments, you could download a little firefox extention called "The YouTube Comment Snob". It alows you to filter out undesirable comments.

#1339144 - 01/02/10 11:12 AM Re: YouTube Comments [Re: sotto voce]
xtraheat Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: sotto voce

Steven

Do you ever do anything but complain about everything?
Chopin Op.10 No.1
Bach WTC II no. 15

--Sam--

#1339148 - 01/02/10 11:13 AM Re: YouTube Comments [Re: xtraheat]
mr_roberts_z Offline

Loc: Canada
Another one posted that made the posters "blood boil" was: "you play this song really well!" That is yet another friendly and enthusiastic comment by someone trying to give a nice comment, yet are somewhat confused

No no, that wasn't what I meant. I could've used a different example: "you play that too fast". The point is that the person is too oblivious to notice that it was recorded in (for example) 1923, despite the fact that it's clearly marked, and tries to offer critique to a 95 year old recording. Whether or not the person has good intentions is a different matter; I'm just talking about ignorance (I wouldn't say confusion) towards the recording.

#1339150 - 01/02/10 11:19 AM Re: YouTube Comments [Re: cardguy]
Cheeto717 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
I think you guys would enjoy this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bd5bl4e--KU
Brahms: Op. 120
Chopin: Op. 10

#1339156 - 01/02/10 11:32 AM Re: YouTube Comments [Re: Cheeto717]
beet31425 Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Bay Area, CA
Originally Posted By: sotto voce

Steven

Do you ever do anything but complain about everything?

Speaking of decline, let's not have this thread degenerate!

I don't think youtube comments are evidence of cultural decline: I think the internet simply gives us a light to shine across the country, so we can see, in a way we previously couldn't, evidence of ignorance.

But I strongly agree with Steven that accusations of elitism, both here and in the national discussion, are annoying. You try to be informed, you learn as much as you can, you try to be precise and careful how you say things, and you're branded an elitist. Are elite military units embarrassed by their competence?

On a lighter note though, here is a great video about classical music and youtube comments! (It's similar to the one posted above, but I like it much more.) Some swearing in the video. Enjoy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MODNcU4Xf4k

-Jason

#1339169 - 01/02/10 12:02 PM Re: YouTube Comments [Re: beet31425]
moscheles001 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Northeast Pennsylvania
I agree. I think most charges of "elitism" are leveled by people who are threatened by those who have wider interests and/or knowledge.

Ignorance is as fond of company as is misery.

#1339175 - 01/02/10 12:13 PM Re: YouTube Comments [Re: moscheles001]
xtraheat Offline
500 Post Club Member

No, they are leveled by people who are sick and tired of people thinking that they are superior to others. If you all haven't noticed, pianists like Horowitz, Argerich, Cziffra, etc. never made claims like this. It is the same throughout almost all of the arts and other activities... The best and most talented people do not brag and make arrogant statements, and they accept people that are more ignorant of their art. The people that brag and are elitist are usually the less talented people who need to reassure themselves about their ability and knowledge.
Chopin Op.10 No.1
Bach WTC II no. 15

--Sam--

#1339178 - 01/02/10 12:19 PM Re: YouTube Comments [Re: cardguy]
CebuKid Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: cardguy
I'm guessing this has been talked about before. Why oh why can't I stop reading these things, because they are truly depressing.

"I really love this song. LOL"

(In response to a surpassingly difficult Chopin etude) "I played this song 10 years ago. My teacher liked the way I played it. LOL."

"Can anyone tell me where I can get the sheets to this song? LOL"

I'm just making these up as I go along, but catches the flavor I think.

Accuse me of elitism if you want, or perhaps grumpy old mannism, but I can't shake the depressing sense that our culture is in decline. I suppose one could argue that these are just kids, and the fact that they're listening to classical music is a good sign, but I'm a glass half empty kind of guy. If these re the best and the brightest, what about the rest of them?

Of course, it's also true that I was a drooling idiot myself until I hit 40 or so :-)

"Dumb is the new cool." That pretty much sums up today's culture. As an avid YouTuber, I know what you mean by the stupid comments, but you're right. At least "they" are listening to classical music.

On the positive side, I think most of these kids will grow out of it, and kudos to the ones who play the piano in the first place.

I'm a firm believer that musical education raises IQ points.

Music washes away from the soul
the dust of everyday life.
- Berthold Auerbach

#1339204 - 01/02/10 01:13 PM Re: YouTube Comments [Re: xtraheat]
moscheles001 Offline
500 Post Club Member

But most of the accusations of elitism made in this country these days seem to be toward people who don't consider themselves superior, but who have made the mistake of being educated and thoughtful. I recall overhearing someone at my job saying that the show "Jeopardy" was rigged, because nobody can be that smart.

Off the top of my head, I can't think of any braggart pianists, though.

#1339207 - 01/02/10 01:21 PM Re: YouTube Comments [Re: moscheles001]
LiszThalberg Offline
3000 Post Club Member

I like my generation smile

#1339208 - 01/02/10 01:21 PM Re: YouTube Comments [Re: xtraheat]
Mark_C Offline

Your first example was: "I really love this song. LOL" That is pretty friendly and enthusiastic... Another one posted that made the posters "blood boil" was: "you play this song really well!" That is yet another friendly and enthusiastic comment by someone trying to give a nice comment, yet are somewhat confused.

I usually don't mind a little elitism smile but on this thing, I see it how you said. I'm glad that whomever is interested enough even just to come on and take a look at classical pieces, and if they actually like what them, that's great.

Plus...... I don't even think it's something about "today"; it's always been like that. The only difference now is that because of things like YouTube, it's more obvious.

And if you really wanna know ha there was a time that I sometimes said "song" for classical pieces, even with all my piano lessons and playing Mozart sonatas and Chopin Polonaises. I remember that when I was 16 and was preparing a program for a local competition, when I talked with my teacher about what repertoire was required -- talking about things like a Chopin Nocturne and Polonaise (the F# minor) ha and a Brahms Rhapsody -- I happened to use the word "Songs."

She was horrified. smile

#1339215 - 01/02/10 01:26 PM Re: YouTube Comments [Re: Mark_C]
Fugue14 Offline

I really hate idiotic comments on contemporary music (perhaps Xenakis): "My handicapped kid could play that." Grrr

#1339221 - 01/02/10 01:29 PM Re: YouTube Comments [Re: pianoloverus]
Mark_C Offline

Originally Posted By: pianoloverus
I don't mind most of the Youtube comments, although I don't read them much. If someone is enthusiastic about a recording, that's good enough for me even if the expression of the enthusiasm seems to indicate the poster doesn't have much knowledge. IMO it's great just to have people who might not normally listen to classical music that often listening on Youtube.....

thumb thumb thumb

#1339225 - 01/02/10 01:38 PM Re: YouTube Comments [Re: Mark_C]
moscheles001 Offline
500 Post Club Member

I try not to read the comments on Youtube, because there always seems to be someone trying (usually with great success) to start a fight. The comments can become really vicious, too.

I'm happy just to find videos of good music played well. That there are people who don't know very much about music who listen to the music and enjoy it seems a good thing to me. And at least they make an effort to show their appreciation.

#1339229 - 01/02/10 01:40 PM Re: YouTube Comments [Re: moscheles001]
Mark_C Offline

Originally Posted By: moscheles001
I try not to read the comments on Youtube, because there always seems to be someone trying (usually with great success) to start a fight.....

I think maybe with just the tiniest bit of effort you'll be able to just LAUGH at that stuff. I was.

#1339232 - 01/02/10 01:42 PM Re: YouTube Comments [Re: moscheles001]
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Jersey Shore
Damn hippies!!

#1339234 - 01/02/10 01:44 PM Re: YouTube Comments [Re: moscheles001]
Mark_C Offline

.....Off the top of my head, I can't think of any braggart pianists, though.

I have to go back a century for one: Vladimir De Pachmann. And I think even his braggart stuff was probably just part of the act.

#1339238 - 01/02/10 01:47 PM Re: YouTube Comments [Re: Mark_C]
moscheles001 Offline
500 Post Club Member

The Chopinzee!!

Oh, wait! I just thought of one: Richard Kastle!!

#1339241 - 01/02/10 01:53 PM Re: YouTube Comments [Re: moscheles001]
Mark_C Offline

The Chopinzee!!

Cool! (Pachmann's nick.)

#1339245 - 01/02/10 01:58 PM Re: YouTube Comments [Re: Mark_C]
moscheles001 Offline
500 Post Club Member

I haven't read Schoenberg's book 200 times for nothing.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
170 registered (accordeur, ABC Vermonter, Akshay, 36251, 52 invisible), 1642 Guests and 26 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74313 Members
42 Forums
153708 Topics
2253309 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Acoustics and Piano Positioning
by PNO40
04/24/14 05:49 PM
Is this the room to talk about the Yamaha PSR's ?
by MacGuy
04/24/14 05:43 PM
Where can I test a Kawai VPC-1?
by jp2011
04/24/14 05:43 PM
Schimmel Mod. 150 - NR
by Rudy99golf
04/24/14 05:42 PM
Practing songs vs. doing excersises
by cowchin12
04/24/14 05:25 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission