2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
67 members (accordeur, akse0435, danno858, AlkansBookcase, David B, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, 12 invisible), 1,829 guests, and 302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by xtraheat
Your first example was: "I really love this song. LOL" That is pretty friendly and enthusiastic... Another one posted that made the posters "blood boil" was: "you play this song really well!" That is yet another friendly and enthusiastic comment by someone trying to give a nice comment, yet are somewhat confused.

I usually don't mind a little elitism smile but on this thing, I see it how you said. I'm glad that whomever is interested enough even just to come on and take a look at classical pieces, and if they actually like what them, that's great.

Plus...... I don't even think it's something about "today"; it's always been like that. The only difference now is that because of things like YouTube, it's more obvious.

And if you really wanna know ha there was a time that I sometimes said "song" for classical pieces, even with all my piano lessons and playing Mozart sonatas and Chopin Polonaises. I remember that when I was 16 and was preparing a program for a local competition, when I talked with my teacher about what repertoire was required -- talking about things like a Chopin Nocturne and Polonaise (the F# minor) ha and a Brahms Rhapsody -- I happened to use the word "Songs."

She was horrified. smile

F
F
I really hate idiotic comments on contemporary music (perhaps Xenakis): "My handicapped kid could play that." Grrr

Yama B3
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
I don't mind most of the Youtube comments, although I don't read them much. If someone is enthusiastic about a recording, that's good enough for me even if the expression of the enthusiasm seems to indicate the poster doesn't have much knowledge. IMO it's great just to have people who might not normally listen to classical music that often listening on Youtube.....

thumb thumb thumb

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
I try not to read the comments on Youtube, because there always seems to be someone trying (usually with great success) to start a fight. The comments can become really vicious, too.

I'm happy just to find videos of good music played well. That there are people who don't know very much about music who listen to the music and enjoy it seems a good thing to me. And at least they make an effort to show their appreciation.

Originally Posted by moscheles001
I try not to read the comments on Youtube, because there always seems to be someone trying (usually with great success) to start a fight.....

I think maybe with just the tiniest bit of effort you'll be able to just LAUGH at that stuff. I was.

M
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
M
Damn hippies!!

.....Off the top of my head, I can't think of any braggart pianists, though.

I have to go back a century for one: Vladimir De Pachmann. And I think even his braggart stuff was probably just part of the act.

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
The Chopinzee!!

Oh, wait! I just thought of one: Richard Kastle!!

The Chopinzee!!

Cool! (Pachmann's nick.)

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
I haven't read Schoenberg's book 200 times for nothing.

I haven't read Schoenberg's book 200 times for nothing.

That's where I learned about Pachmann.
BTW, not to be elitist or anything ha but I have a little 'review' of the book on Amazon.

B
B
Originally Posted by cardguy
[quote=xtraheat]
I was having dinner with some friends recently and their 25 year old, college educated daughter was along. She was attractive, warm, personable, and also in my view shockingly ignorant for someone with a degree. She'd never heard of sunspots for just one example.

I hope that's not the best example of her "ignorance."

Young people live in a completely different world today than their parents and grandparents. No longer is knowing random information (e.g. sunspots) of utmost importance. An individual's success in the future will no longer be determined by how many classical composers she can name or by her ability to quote classical literature. Success will be determined by her ability to utilize technological resources and multitask--skills that the older generations among us severely lack (despite their ability to describe a fine wine).

I see this today even in my profession (medicine). No longer are the best doctors the ones who can recite Harrison's textbook of medicine. Rather, the best doctors are those who can effectively integrate their knowledge with the vast array of technological resources available to them to come up with the best answers/solutions for their patients.

Now, I'm not suggesting that we shouldn't attempt to help younger generations appreciate the finer things in life, we just have to understand and accept that their approach to life is completely different than ours (I'm only 30 years old and I don't even pretend to understand them).

Just my $.02.

Happy New Year everyone!

Estonia L210
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
If you think comments on classical piano are "bad" you should try reading some of the comments on political issues at YouTube. Truly nasty. But I like it because it shows you how people "really think" uncensored. A rare glimpse into honest thoughts ... which is just as rare. Even if they are crass.

I agree that YouTube comments are pretty much the bottom of the barrel where music criticism is concerned, but I also agree with those who see the large amount of classical music content and its viewers as a good thing.

Last edited by Kreisler; 01/02/10 04:13 PM.

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Oh yeah.. And people are like that in real life too, if not worse. Just don't assume everybody is in this category, because there are always exceptions. I sometimes get classified as one of them before I even speak, mostly because I'm 20 and have blonde hair. @*&$%#&*$%^

What I really wonder about is, who is going to go to concerts in 30-40 years when all the old folks are gone? 90% of the audiences are composed of them.

"The eyes can mislead, the smile can lie, but the shoes always tell the truth."
Online Content
Originally Posted by AngelinaPogorelich

What I really wonder about is, who is going to go to concerts in 30-40 years when all the old folks are gone? 90% of the audiences are composed of them.

For many years it has seemed like most of the concert audience was older than me(and I just qualified for half price subway fares in NYC! ). Lately, I seem to see more young people in the audience, many of them Asian.

It does trouble me that many of the free concerts and master classes in NYC at Mannes are poorly attended.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 01/02/10 05:13 PM.
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
While I don't read You tube comments, I am aware that they are there. I am also aware that a large number of those comments are posted by those who frequently spend a lot of their lives on You tube and on other similar social-electronic websites. Those tend to be the younger, as-yet, uninformed; therefore the preponderance of the comments come from those who are not well-informed.

A more serious phenomenon that such comments reveal, however, is a breakdown in basic language skills, a breakdown that shows an increasing tendency for "net-speak" or "chat-speak" to become the communications norm. Fine-tuning of language and, hence, precision of thought and expression are giving way to ubiquitous expressions that express little more than basic "grunt" reactions because that's the limit of the eloquence of many.

Yes, language is organic and it needs to evolve with time. Sadly, some of the current changes are being effected at the expense of diction and precision. A lack of the ability to express oneself accurately can only lead to misconceptions or, eventually, to a total lack of meaningful communication.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Oh, like, Bruce, ur totally, like, right about that stuff u talked about, u know?

Best regards,

Deborah
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
I don't mind Youtube comments as long as they don't belittle the pianist in the video. I mean, if he says "song" instead of "piece" then it's okay to say "Oh, in classical music, 'song' refers to music that is sung with the voice and for non vocal works you say 'piece' or whatever specific kind of piece (etude, sonata, etc.) it is."

But if someone says on a Gilels video, "He plays that song the best!" I'll just reply with "He DOES play that piece very well, doesn't he? ;)" or something like that.

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by gooddog
Oh, like, Bruce, ur totally, like, right about that stuff u talked about, u know?

Hmm... dunno 'bout that!

C U L8r, bb smile

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission