2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
53 members (Aylin, brdwyguy, bcalvanese, accordeur, 36251, Bostonmoores, 20/20 Vision, Adam Reynolds, 1200s, akse0435, 5 invisible), 1,320 guests, and 303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
OP Offline
S
Hello all,

Just ordered the Casio PX-330, it should arrive in the end of the month (out of stock)... Meanwhile I studied a bit about DPs in general, and I have 2 questions:
1) If you take a relatively simple digital piano like the PX-330 and download some soundfonts of a high-quality DP into it (say Roland FP-7), how would it sound in comparison to the Roland, particularly with a headset?
2) Is it possible to store downloaded soundfonts in the PX-330, so that one could use them without it being connected to the PC? If not, what well-known DPs do have this feature?

My YouTube Channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/igalbog?feature=mhw4
==================================
V
V
1.) Probably worse than the Roland. If I understand that correctly, thoese sounds are gained by sampling DPs, which have sounds sampled from a real piano. And sampling samples isn't such a good idea IMO.
2.) No, I think you'd need to get a sampler for that, and i don't think any DP has that feature.

C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
1) If you take a relatively simple digital piano like the PX-330 and download some soundfonts

Kind of a moot question. You can't download new samples. Very few DPs have that feature.

What you can do is connect the piano to a computer and load samples into the computer. If you go this route the sky is the limit There are literally many thousands of samples to choose from and the software that loads and plays those samples varies from "very simple" to very complex.

If you want the download samples directly into the DP then you are looking at high-end keyboards along the lines of Yamaha's Motif

OK one other option: Some midi sound moduals connect to any midi keyboard (not "USB MIDI") and these units, some of them allow downloaded samples. But the cost is high. You could buy an Apple Macbook for llelss then a Yamaha Motif rackmount modual

Last edited by ChrisA; 01/01/10 05:11 PM.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
well, if you know about soundfonts, you probably have an audigy card or somethin.
connect the dp's usb midiout to your pc and have it play the soundfonts.
you mayyyyyyyy be interested in my lil midi sequencer.
it'll load soundfonts per song and such (the sequencer kind of "knows" soundfonts)

http://PianoCheetah.app - my weird piano practice program
S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by Vid_w
2.) No, I think you'd need to get a sampler for that, and i don't think any DP has that feature.

Just found this page within casio's music site - http://music.casio.com/e/data_ex4/
It seems that they have what they call "tones" you can download to your instrument, as long as you have one of the specified models.
I wonder if it could work on a PX-330 too... confused

My YouTube Channel:
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Salvador
Just found this page within casio's music site - http://music.casio.com/e/data_ex4/
It seems that they have what they call "tones" you can download to your instrument, as long as you have one of the specified models.
I downloaded the "BRIGHT PIANO 2" file and the "MODERN EP+E.G.PIANO 2" file. Each file is only 134 bytes long!

I doubt these are new piano voices. Rather, they're probably just a bunch of tone control settings.

S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by Stephen Hazel
well, if you know about soundfonts, you probably have an audigy card or somethin.
connect the dp's usb midiout to your pc and have it play the soundfonts.
you mayyyyyyyy be interested in my lil midi sequencer.
it'll load soundfonts per song and such (the sequencer kind of "knows" soundfonts)

Unfortunately, I have an onboard soundcard. I got to know about soundfonts about 8 years ago from a friend of mine who was into this stuff, and back then had a costly creative soundcard.
Now that a digital piano is on the way, maybe I'll buy a good soundcard if I'll see that I'm into music sampling and all this fancy stuff.

My YouTube Channel:
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
It states at the top of the page what keyboards support those tone files:

WK3300
WK3800
WK8000
PX410R
PX575R

Rich

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
S
OP Offline
S
You're right Rich, but I wonder if it would also work on a PX-330, because I guess their operating system and internal file system shouldn't be so different. But that's just mere speculation.

My YouTube Channel:

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission