Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
Who's Online
148 registered (accordeur, anamnesis, anotherscott, Alkanaut, 36251, Anita Potter, 46 invisible), 1746 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#1339798 - 01/03/10 12:05 PM Please help me with the search of digital piano
Miffy Offline

Loc: Darien, CT
We own two pianos at home but need a portable one for my child who travels for performances and competitions. We borrowed one Yamaha p-140 digital piano which we liked a lot about its weighted touch but felt a little burdened by the weight of the keyboard itself while traveling. Basically these are what we are looking for:
1. a 88-key portable one with weighted touches for serious practice on the go
2. since I myself improvise a lot, I also dream of having one keyboard that can print out whatever played, with some software build-in or attached, in to sheet music. I don't know whether this is an achievable goal, but if yes it would be just perfect.

We would really appreciate if you could give any suggestions and comments. Of course, if the 2nd function can not be found in any one that serves the 1st goal, we would at least get something for the main purpose of traveling practice.
Thanks a lot and enjoy 2010.
Yamaha P-155

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Yamaha Keyboards for Performance and Composition

Click Here

#1339828 - 01/03/10 12:45 PM Re: Please help me with the search of digital piano [Re: Miffy]
Vid_w Offline

Loc: Slovenia
Well, you probably won't find a very good hammer action keyboard that's also very portable! Maybe the P-85, but the action on that one is much lighter than that of the P140. Still, I'd recommend that one.
The Casio PX 130 is quite light also, if I'm not mistaken, and has a much heavier action than the P-85.

For your second wish, the only option is to carry around a laptop, with some notation software and a printer.
You won't find that in any PORTABLE keyboard (I think the Yamaha DXG 630/YPG 635 has that, but it's huge).

#1339947 - 01/03/10 02:59 PM Re: Please help me with the search of digital piano [Re: Miffy]
ChrisA Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Redondo Beach, California
Originally Posted By: Miffy
We own two pianos at home but need a portable one for my child who travels for performances and competitions. We borrowed one Yamaha p-140 digital piano which we liked a lot about its weighted touch but felt a little burdened by the weight of the keyboard itself while traveling. Basically these are what we are looking for:
1. a 88-key portable one with weighted touches for serious practice on the go
2. since I myself improvise a lot, I also dream of having one keyboard that can print out whatever played, with some software build-in or attached, in to sheet music. I don't know whether this is an achievable goal, but if yes it would be just perfect.

We would really appreciate if you could give any suggestions and comments. Of course, if the 2nd function can not be found in any one that serves the 1st goal, we would at least get something for the main purpose of traveling practice.
Thanks a lot and enjoy 2010.

The P155 has replaced the P140. But in terms of weight and touch is about the same. The sound is better. The problem is that weighted hammers have weights. These is no way around this. If you want a 12 pound piano look at the Yamaha NP30. But it lacks weighted hammer action keys but it's 12 pounds. You have to choose, can't have both. A wheeled case helps.

Of course you can print out sheet music for whatever you play. It's simple. Buy a small 13" size Apple Macbook. It comes with such software already installed and setup. You would be able to record your performance and then edit the notes and convert to music notation. With a computer you can also play sounds from a larger sample library. Other brands of computer and softare can work too, but you have to set it up the Mac is an out of the box solution to music production

Here is a guy showing how it works. This is just the basic functionality built into the Mac. You can buy better software later if you like
http://www.ehow.com/video_2372702_music-notation-garageband-tutorial.html

If you really want "portable" there are short unweighted keyboards as short as 25 keys wide. These can be used, battery powered with a notebook computer even in an airplane seat. Keyboard and note book would both fit inside cary-on sized luggage

Edited by ChrisA (01/03/10 03:05 PM)

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
Christmas Lights at Piano World Headquarters in Maine 2014
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Pearl River vs. Samick
by Zekk
12/21/14 03:41 PM
Kawai vs. Yamaha: what to choose
by SeeSharp
12/21/14 02:19 PM
Disklavier Pro Alternatives? C5X Value for money?
by bryan77
12/21/14 01:15 PM
piano sound is the result of more than just the hammer speed
by Keith D Kerman
12/21/14 01:05 PM
piano sound is the result of more than just the hammer speed
by Keith D Kerman
12/21/14 01:05 PM
Forum Stats
77388 Members
42 Forums
160044 Topics
2350249 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission