2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, 6 invisible), 1,935 guests, and 310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
Psalm23 Offline OP
OP Offline
P
For over a year, I have throughly enjoyed playing my Roland RD700GX. This Christmas I was blessed to obtain the Yamaha S90XS. These are two very different boards and in many ways are more complementary than competitors. Nevertheless, they do have some overlap. By owning both, I am now able to appreciate the strengths of both and recognize areas for improvement.

Clear advantages of the Roland RD700GX as compared to the Yamaha S90XS:

1. The ivory like feel and superior action
2. Much larger screen
3. Much easier sound editing. The Yamaha has equal or better editing but it must be done on a PC.
4. The Organs have tone wheel adjustments that are simple to view and manipulate.
5. The piano and electric piano adjustments options are superior.
7. Expandability with SRX cards
9. Saving and recalling setups are fast and easy
10. Owner's manual and instructions are much clearer

The S90XS has the following advantages:
1. A mind blowing number of voices, arpeggios, and performances
2. Intelligent arpeggios
3. Built in recording
4. Voice input
5. Software/drivers that work with Windows 7 (this has been the single most frustrating thing about Roland--I just don't understand why they are taking so long to get Windows 7 drivers developed.)
7. Guitars, Saxophones, and horns are incredible
8. Lower price
9. Much better at being a one-man-band
10. I love the "Master Mode" and "Favorites" functions

The S90XS has the new S6 piano sounds. To my ears, they sound great and so does Roland's. There is quite a controversy and debate over at the "S90 Site forums." Some are saying the new S6 piano sounds are horrible. I don't agree. When comparing the S6 sounds to the Roland's, I really can't say one is better than the other--they are different. Overall, the Roland is better at being a piano and the Yamaha is better at being a synth.

Last edited by Psalm23; 12/26/09 12:54 AM.
H
H
How do the accompaniments compare?

P-85 cheap plastic imitation; not because of sound, but weight.
P
Psalm23 Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by Huygens
How do the accompaniments compare?

It is really not much of a comparison, the S90XS wins hands down. This is by far its strengths. They advertises this Yamaha as being the ultimate combination of a stage piano and as synth. This is a true statement.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I'm not really familiar with the S90XS. What do you mean by "arpeggios and performances" and "Intelligent arpeggios?"

"If we lose freedom here, there's no place to escape to."
MSU - the university of Michigan!
Wheels
P
Psalm23 Offline OP
OP Offline
P
This function if the heart of the board. Check out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2MuRGDroJ8

Oh yeah. Vid #3 really made me smile. laugh

"If we lose freedom here, there's no place to escape to."
MSU - the university of Michigan!
Wheels
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
I've got both of these and as I see it the s90XS is really a Motif XS without the sequencer and on-board editor. The RD700GX is really more of a straight stage piano. I do know that since I have had the S90XS my Motif XS hasn't been used live as the S90XS is a far better live proposition. I too cannot see what the fuss is about the s6 sample in the S90XS I've played it live and in the studio extensively without hearing any glaring issues.

"I'm still an idiot and I'm still in love" - Blue Sofa - The Plugz 1981 (Tito Larriva)
Disclosure : I am professionally associated with Arturia but my sentiments are my own only.
P
Psalm23 Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by Dr Popper
I've got both of these and as I see it the s90XS is really a Motif XS without the sequencer and on-board editor. The RD700GX is really more of a straight stage piano. I do know that since I have had the S90XS my Motif XS hasn't been used live as the S90XS is a far better live proposition. I too cannot see what the fuss is about the s6 sample in the S90XS I've played it live and in the studio extensively without hearing any glaring issues.

I have owned the S90XS for less than a week. I am still learning the many functions and features. The manual is horrible as usual with Yamaha. I also own a SY-85 that I brought years ago. It needs a new home.

P
P
Thanks for starting this thread, Psalm! I was actually looking for a comparison between the 2, so your post was perfect.

I’m actually just looking for the best DP that mimics a grand in both feel and sound (for under $2,500). I had been considering a home DP for the longest time, but have decided to look at Stages, if only for the ease of transport.

Again, my primary interest is being able to feel like I’m playing on an acoustic piano. I don’t really care much about the other fancy functions offered by stage DPs. I’d appreciate any suggestions! Thanks.

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Psalm23

I have owned the S90XS for less than a week. I am still learning the many functions and features. The manual is horrible as usual with Yamaha. I also own a SY-85 that I brought years ago. It needs a new home.

Make sure you download the separate reference manual from the Yamaha website. It goes into a lot more detail then the standard manual.
Its pretty simple if you remember the performance mode is the key and set up your presets for each song via the editor. DAW connectivity requires some fiddling for Logic Studio but generally once you become familiar with it the S90Xs is pretty straightforward. I used it last night playing new years eve party in Sydney to 3000 people and live its fantastic to navigate. just plug in your USB and away you go .....

"I'm still an idiot and I'm still in love" - Blue Sofa - The Plugz 1981 (Tito Larriva)
Disclosure : I am professionally associated with Arturia but my sentiments are my own only.
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by peanutty

I’m actually just looking for the best DP that mimics a grand in both feel and sound (for under $2,500). I had been considering a home DP for the longest time, but have decided to look at Stages, if only for the ease of transport.

Currently that's the RD700GX (for feel) but soon Yamaha releases the CP-5 with wooden keys and that might indeed be even better.

C
C

P
P
Originally Posted by Dr Popper
Originally Posted by peanutty

Currently that's the RD700GX (for feel) but soon Yamaha releases the CP-5 with wooden keys and that might indeed be even better.

Thanks for the heads up, Dr Popper. I see that the release date for the CP-5 is March 2010. Guess I'll be waiting a few more months.

B
B
In the meantime, check out the 15 minute (3 part video - 5 min. each) video on the upcoming CP-1. Not the CP-5 but might be similiar. Click on the video link at the far right of the page.

http://keyboardmag.com/testsearch.aspx?searchtext=Yamaha%20CP-1

R
R
Dr Popper

Just got my S90Xs last week and it rips - truly fantastic.
Do you know if you can get all 4 separate tracks of a performance into a DAW. I am sure I read somewhere you could do this. I am using Logic Pro 8.

Incidentally I really like the S6 piano sound!

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
You set it up using the MASTER program to enable the tracks in your DAW.

R
R
I think I just found out how to do it.
http://www.sninety.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=1,3&Board=S90S70XS&Number=447001&page=2&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

R
R
Oh Ok I will check that out

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Yeah sninety is a good resource for S90XS users. The S90Xs ..CAN ... be somewhat tricky in Logic and it took me a while to get the proper midi events registered but as a Keyboard controller using the master mode its probably the best board on the market. I use one as my main board both live and in the studio especially when i want to work out ideas without bothering to produce anything in the DAW. I find the record to WAV USB function to be very useful in this regard.

C
C
Originally Posted by Psalm23
Roland--I just don't understand why they are taking so long to get Windows 7 drivers developed.

They are available now.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission