Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1340062 - 01/03/10 05:44 PM Yamaha P85 or P155 what's the difference??
denverdave66 Offline

Is the P155 worth paying double the price of the P85? What are the main differences?

(ads) Sweetwater / PR /Roland
Special Financing on Digital Keyboards

Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano

Click Here

#1340078 - 01/03/10 06:07 PM Re: Yamaha P85 or P155 what's the difference?? [Re: denverdave66]
Michael Darnton Offline

Loc: Chicago
The 85 has single-level sampling compared with the 155's four levels. That means no matter how hard you pound, you get the same tonal quality. That was enough for me to choose a Casio PX130.

#1340082 - 01/03/10 06:09 PM Re: Yamaha P85 or P155 what's the difference?? [Re: denverdave66]
limavady Offline

Loc: California
You could go to the yamaha site and check out the differences in specs. One thing is the weighted action, upgrade in the 155 of course and the other is the sampling. Another is the polyphony. Another is the watts per channel. I don't look at it so much as if the p155 is worth twice the price but more the other way around. i like the upgraded features of the p155 and the question for me than would be would i like to spend half that for a model with less features and specs than that? It's maybe a bit like if i like a certain kind of coffee and says it's 50 cents a cup if i make it myself that is. Then there's a cheaper coffee that would only cost 25 cents a cup....so which is more important; saving the money or getting the kind of coffee i like. So it may not be worth twice the price if you're making the money the precedent
but if you're looking for the piano you most would like it makes the cost less relevant within your overall budget of course.

#1340121 - 01/03/10 07:28 PM Re: Yamaha P85 or P155 what's the difference?? [Re: limavady]
gerardo1000 Offline

I am not a technician but I guess that there should be other factors that contribute to the piano sound quality, other than the number of sample levels.
My Yamaha YDP 223 has one sample level, but it sounds better than the YDP 140 and 160 that have three sample levels.

#1340124 - 01/03/10 07:34 PM Re: Yamaha P85 or P155 what's the difference?? [Re: gerardo1000]
Michael Darnton Offline

Sure, different instruments sound different, depending on what they're based on and how well they're executed. It's not just number of sample levels, of course, but if you're looking for replicating a real piano experience, and learning about the tonal qualities of a piano, I think that's one necessary aspect.

It's something a lot of people may never notice, and not miss because they never considered it, but not having it is having one door of possibilities permanently closed. I don't know how it is with pianists, but in violins varying tonal qualities is one of the last things people learn to appreciate, and a lot are satisfied with one good sound rather than having expressive opportunities.

Edited by Michael Darnton (01/03/10 07:37 PM)

#1340160 - 01/03/10 08:55 PM Re: Yamaha P85 or P155 what's the difference?? [Re: denverdave66]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern NJ
Originally Posted By: denverdave66
Is the P155 worth paying double the price of the P85?

Yes, absolutely. The P85 only wins in the portability category - in every other it really, really loses.

#1340343 - 01/04/10 05:29 AM Re: Yamaha P85 or P155 what's the difference?? [Re: denverdave66]
Pianisti Offline

Originally Posted By: denverdave66
Is the P155 worth paying double the price of the P85? What are the main differences?

How much money do you have and do you want to spend it on a DP? What do you need - do you need a P155?

At first, I had a Yamaha in my mind when shopping for a DP, but ended up buying a Casio PX-130 like Michael Darnton there. I thought that P-155 was definitely not worth its price, and that P-85 did not impress me with its action compared to the Casio. I only shopped for the feel of the action, and connectivity to a computer (to gain access to better sounds). But try them out in reality and find out what do you really need and what are the options.

I support Yamaha pianos - all of them are great which I have played, but I think they have included a brand margin in the price of their DPs.

Edited by Pianisti (01/04/10 05:29 AM)

#1340379 - 01/04/10 08:38 AM Re: Yamaha P85 or P155 what's the difference?? [Re: Pianisti]
Martin C. Doege Offline

Loc: Hamburg, Germany
Originally Posted By: Pianisti
and that P-85 did not impress me with its action compared to the Casio.

I think GHS is actually better than GH if you use the other P-85 patches a lot, e.g. harpsichord or church organ. You don't want the keys to feel very heavy in that case. The P-155 keys are way too heavy for a harpsichord IMHO. The more piano-like an instrument, the less believable it is as something else, obviously.

I think they [Yamaha] have included a brand margin in the price of their DPs.

Yes, but as opposed to Casio many people are quite willing to pay a little extra for a Yamaha based on their good reputation. Casio couldn't include a brand margin at this time--they are the runner-up in the consumer DP market and there have been too many quality control issues with their products recently, like the depressed keys...

#1340448 - 01/04/10 10:59 AM Re: Yamaha P85 or P155 what's the difference?? [Re: Martin C. Doege]
Pianisti Offline

Originally Posted By: Martin C. Doege

I think GHS is actually better than GH if you use the other P-85 patches a lot, e.g. harpsichord or church organ.

For sure - it really depends what you are going to use it for. E.g. I don't think that the Casio X30 series would be a good choice for a kid just starting to learn to play piano - too stiff and heavy although realistic piano feel compared to P-85.

Yes, but as opposed to Casio many people are quite willing to pay a little extra for a Yamaha based on their good reputation.

Probably there are people who pay extra on a Casio as well - it's called "a rip-off". When the same happens with a Yamaha - it's called "a good deal". Casio is a calculator etc silly little gadgets manufacturer. It's not sexy like Yamaha - the piano maker so it is acceptable to pay a little extra on a Yamaha. Brand loyal customers really are the best customers a company can have as they sell the product for free even if it has some defects. Just ask Apple.

Casio couldn't include a brand margin at this time--they are the runner-up in the consumer DP market and there have been too many quality control issues with their products recently, like the depressed keys...

I still haven't found any numbers or figures comparing those quality issues between DP manufacturers so can't really make any conclusions about comparative quality. Same people here make the same remarks over and over again about what they might have heard or experienced. Someone reported a noisy action on a Yamaha YPG 635 (GHS) a while back, but I am quite sure none of those people eager to report quality issues will remember that.

#1340465 - 01/04/10 11:27 AM Re: Yamaha P85 or P155 what's the difference?? [Re: Pianisti]
chopstxnrice Offline

Hey guys -
I am looking for my first digital piano, as a temporary replacement to an acoustic for the next couple of years since I will be moving around in apartments and stuff. I have been playing for over 10 years, recreationally now (game music, chopin's ballades at the moment) and I'm trying to decide between these two. I wish price could be no object but unfortunately it is. I went to guitar center to play on these two models, but could only play on the p155. The p85 was on a top shelf and I asked if it could be taken down and put on a stand but the GC worker said she couldn't do that. Anyway, I loved the p155 - it was a bit noisy in there but from what I could tell it sounded great, and it felt great. To me, it still felt very different from an acoustic, but it was the closest possible from the models I played around with. Is there a huge difference in feel/action, and sound? The only sound I am interested in is the main piano sounds. Thanks in advance!

#1340470 - 01/04/10 11:39 AM Re: Yamaha P85 or P155 what's the difference?? [Re: Pianisti]
Martin C. Doege Offline

Loc: Hamburg, Germany

Probably there are people who pay extra on a Casio as well - it's called "a rip-off". When the same happens with a Yamaha - it's called "a good deal". Casio is a calculator etc silly little gadgets manufacturer. It's not sexy like Yamaha - the piano maker so it is acceptable to pay a little extra on a Yamaha. Brand loyal customers really are the best customers a company can have as they sell the product for free even if it has some defects. Just ask Apple.

I think in general the level of fanboyism for Yamaha is thankfully not as high as it has been for Apple. If a Yamaha product falls through, it rarely seems to be a case of bad design or QC issues, more because of usability, features, or a perceived high price. Even Apple products have often had design flaws and suffered from a general cheapening of materials.

So if you buy Yamaha and pony up a little more, I suppose it's because you hope that the build quality is good and nothing will fall off after a month of playing. smile

I still haven't found any numbers or figures comparing those quality issues between DP manufacturers so can't really make any conclusions about comparative quality. Same people here make the same remarks over and over again about what they might have heard or experienced. Someone reported a noisy action on a Yamaha YPG 635 (GHS) a while back, but I am quite sure none of those people eager to report quality issues will remember that.

GHS is definitely noisier than GH. I think GH has more padding and shock-absorbing components. The benefit of GHS is that instruments can be relatively light however, although the YPG is hardly light, so perhaps it doesn't make a lot of sense they are using it there.

But this depressed key problem with the Casio PX-130/330 is pretty strange. It's something that should be noticed in the factory, unless the defect occurs during shipping. It's a very obvious flaw--you don't even have to plug the DP in to notice it--so I find it puzzling so many defective instruments seem to reach customers.

#1340471 - 01/04/10 11:40 AM Re: Yamaha P85 or P155 what's the difference?? [Re: chopstxnrice]
Michael Darnton Offline

Yes, Pianist, my PX130 was fine out of the box. If there really was a serious problem, dealers wouldn't sell them, since they're the ones who would be bothered with returns.

#1340488 - 01/04/10 11:59 AM Re: Yamaha P85 or P155 what's the difference?? [Re: chopstxnrice]
ChrisA Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Redondo Beach, California
Originally Posted By: chopstxnrice
... I went to guitar center to play on these two models, but could only play on the p155. The p85 was on a top shelf and I asked if it could be taken down and put on a stand but the GC worker said she couldn't do that. Anyway, I loved the p155 - it was a bit noisy in there but from what I could tell it sounded great, and it felt great. To me, it still felt very different from an acoustic, but it was the closest possible from the models I played around with. Is there a huge difference in feel/action, and sound?...

The key action on the P85 is a lot lighter than on the P85 and the sound is slightly different. On the P85 the notes play louder when you strike the keys harder but on the P155 you can also hear the timbre change. If you listen carefuly on the P155 you can here the dampers lower onto the string when you raise the key.

Is it worth double the price? Well that seems to be the way digital pianos are priced, each increment in quality doubles the price. I liked the Roland RD700GX. I thought it had even better key action than the P155 but the price was $2,500. Roland's next step up, the v-piano costs $6K

The way to think about digital pianos is not to look for one that is most like an acoustic piano, instead look for one that is expressive and has a nice tone. Shop for it the same way you shop for an acoustic piano.

#1340493 - 01/04/10 12:11 PM Re: Yamaha P85 or P155 what's the difference?? [Re: Pianisti]
ChrisA Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Redondo Beach, California
...Someone reported a noisy action on a Yamaha YPG 635 (GHS) a while back, but I am quite sure none of those people eager to report quality issues will remember that.

Not quite sure the point being made above. But as for keyboard noise withthe GHS. If you look at Yamaha's own web site they have a short video that expains the difference between key actions. and they say very clearly that the GH make less key-noise than GHS. Kind on an statement (from Yamaha) that GHS keys make noise.

It's in the Flash animation, the blue square "video comparison" on the left side of this page. After it opens click either of the four buttons on the right They will play a short vide describing the various key actions. But note the they use the term "GHE" which is now "GH", the video is a year old.
http://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/CDA/ContentDetail/ModelSeriesDetail.html?CNTID=565658

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
European Piano Party 2014, Picts & Stories! (Piano Party in Portugal)
-------------------
75,000 Members and Growing!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) Purely Piano Practice Software
Purely Piano Practice Software
(ad) Piano Guide Lessons
Piano Guide Lessons
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
71 registered (AZNpiano, Art_Vandelay, A Guy, 19 invisible), 1330 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75336 Members
42 Forums
155778 Topics
2287344 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Emergency help!
by Parks
07/10/14 11:36 PM
Pain in my lower back, help!!
by rov
07/10/14 10:55 PM
If there were only 2 choices..
by ChopinFan66
07/10/14 08:04 PM
symphonic pianomusic
by dolce sfogato
07/10/14 06:16 PM
First Digital Piano - Casio AP250 or Roland RP301?
by Jorgeb
07/10/14 02:07 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission