Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1342732 - 01/06/10 09:27 PM Help with 1928 Gulbransen Player Piano
dontknowmuch Offline

I have a Gulbransen player piano which needs to be repaired. I am looking for reference materials that show how these player mechanisms operate so I can determine whether I want to tackle a repair. I also need to determine whether all of the parts are included. All of the keys on the piano work although some stick in the down position. Where can I learn more about these pianos?

#1343179 - 01/07/10 12:53 PM Re: Help with 1928 Gulbransen Player Piano [Re: dontknowmuch]
dontknowmuch Offline

Is this the correct forum to ask the question about the 1928 Gulbransen player Piano? Any help will be appreciated.

#1344054 - 01/08/10 03:25 PM Re: Help with 1928 Gulbransen Player Piano [Re: dontknowmuch]
DanAustralia1973 Offline

Loc: Worrigee
Hello
With Gulbrandsen there is 2 types of player models.One is made with a glued together stack (all the internal valves and attached pnuematics are connected to this) and the other version is a screwed stack.The screwed stack of course is easier to undo and work on , but if you have a glued stack then its very difficult to get apart without damage.Gulbransen players are very good players and work on the minumin amount of vacuum required , hence there motto "Easy to play" showing a crawling baby pushing the pedals.

If you have never rebuilt a player before , a Gulbransen is a mid range model in regards to difficulty and issues ,the best thing to do is double check that every piece of tubing and pipe work is fully attached , and that the bellows are working correctly and sucking air out making a vacuum to operate the player.
The best book around to do repaires/rebuilds is a book by Arthuer blizt (Player servicing and repair's) its a larger style soft cover book with a wealth of imformation.

In regards to the Gulbrandsen company , back in there hey day if a customer had a faulty player (stack ) the serviceman would remove the stack and do a factory replacement , if the stack was a glued model it was just simply chucked into the factorys furnace and used as fuel , they didnt even try to open them up or repair them.Many rebuilders cringe at the thought of rebuilding a glued stack , as it has to been sawn apart and then the gap has to be compensated for when been reattached together.

Yours been a late model should be a screwed version but i cant be 100% sure.
Best wishes,,,Daniel smile

#1348815 - 01/13/10 05:41 PM Re: Help with 1928 Gulbransen Player Piano [Re: DanAustralia1973]
ewaite Offline

Loc: Dayton, Ohio
I am currently reading the above mentioned book ("Player Piano Servicing and Rebuilding" by Authur A. Reblitz), Gulbrandsen has been mentioned several times in the first 50 pages. The book is overflowing with information and technical details about repairing and restoring player pianos. I would highly recommend it to anyone who owns a player piano. It is a follow up book to "Piano Servicing, Tuning, and Rebuilding" by the same Author. Which I also recommend.

I am reading it in preparation to restore a 1905 Apollo Player by Meville Clark.

Good luck,
ewaite

Ed Waite
http://www.thewaitegroup.com/piano
1909 ? Otto Grau Piano
1909 Apollo Melville Clark

#1349961 - 01/14/10 11:13 PM Re: Help with 1928 Gulbransen Player Piano [Re: ewaite]
DanAustralia1973 Offline

Loc: Worrigee
Great players there Ed , looking forward to seeing the progress! , i myself am halfway though a Aeolian Weber model FF pedal player grand.

Daniel smile

#1393259 - 03/10/10 10:09 PM Re: Help with 1928 Gulbransen Player Piano [Re: DanAustralia1973]
Paul B Offline

Loc: Australia
That Apollo is a hugely challenging project, I also would be really interested in it's progress. It has the possibility of being an amazing instrument once again. Good luck!!

Paul

What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Janko keyboard video
by Michael Sayers
10/21/14 08:28 PM
RECOVERING PIANO HAMMERS
by Steinway K
10/21/14 07:31 PM
Help with forum for Musette in D Major...
by ieatglitter14
10/21/14 05:27 PM
The 2 Most Common Questions Conundrum
by chernobieff
10/21/14 02:44 PM
Heroic Polonaise help please...
by ChopinLives81
10/21/14 02:28 PM
Who's Online
117 registered (accordeur, A Guy, alfredo capurso, 35 invisible), 1335 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76608 Members
42 Forums
158403 Topics
2326187 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission