Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
Who's Online
116 registered (ando, anamnesis, ABC Vermonter, 36251, Anita Potter, accordeur, 38 invisible), 1410 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#1342728 - 01/06/10 09:23 PM Re: Zoom H2 issue:What's a PCM? [Re: Monica K.]
hv Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Cape Cod
Mike, any chance there's a codec pack called K-Lite installed on your machine? There's talk that Windows Media Player doesn't like it and throws this error when its around. But it comes with its own Media Player Classic which is much better anyway.

Howard

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#1342790 - 01/06/10 10:35 PM Re: Zoom H2 issue:What's a PCM? [Re: Monica K.]
TX-Dennis Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Texas
Originally Posted By: Monica K.
Originally Posted By: mhagstad
P.S. what's with this little "posting form" box and hiding the last line I type below the "horizon". It makes typing very difficult.

Many of us have run into that difficulty. It's an issue with Windows Explorer and the forum software. What you need to do is go to "Tools," and then click on "Compatibility View." That'll take care of it. thumb

Or switch to Firefox. IE is so far behind it isn't funny.

flickr

#1342830 - 01/06/10 11:22 PM Re: Zoom H2 issue:What's a PCM? [Re: mhagstad]
Jim2112 Offline

While I don't know what a Zoom H2 is, I believe the PCM codec is one of the standard wav codecs that should be on all PC's running XP, Vista, or Win7. I'm assuming Windows Media Player gave you the error, though, which is unhelpful.

Have you tried updating to the latest version of Windows Media Player? Failing that, google for a free codec bundle on the net.

#1342931 - 01/07/10 02:24 AM Re: Zoom H2 issue:What's a PCM? [Re: Jim2112]
mhagstad Offline

Loc: West Virginia, USA
Monica & Dennis: I can use Google Chrome and it doesn't have that particular problem. And, while we are getting off topic here, I may well be interested in switching browsers, Dennis. What are Firefox' strengths and issues? Why change?

hv & Jim2112: I think that ROB got me on the right track. Apparently WMP (even version-11, which is what I'm now up to)will not process recordings with data formats like I tried to use (48/24). The bit depth can't exceed 16. So long as I don't exceed that I can record and play back just fine.

And, in the mean time I got hold of LAME. I made a very rough recording, chopped off the messy ends in Audacity, normalized, and converted to MP3. I guess now I can go back and practice piano till I get something worth sharing.

note: At Monica's suggestion I did post this issue on the Zoom forum. Someone did respond there, and helpfully. But the overall response was nothing remotely as quick or as thorough as my question received here.

Thank you all, again, very much.

#1343106 - 01/07/10 10:41 AM Re: Zoom H2 issue:What's a PCM? [Re: mhagstad]
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
I don't know the technical reasons for this, but most computer IT people I know recommend Firefox. My vague memory is that it is better at screening out viruses and the like. I have it set up as my default browser at home, and I use it whenever possible. Of course, because it IS the better browser, my university naturally refuses to adopt it (I believe that my administrators have a secret policy against adopting anything that is cheaper and more efficient), so at work I am forced to use Internet Explorer. bah You can download it free, Mike, so you might as well give it a try.

Congrats on getting your first mp3 file ready! The hard part of the learning curve is over. Of course, you do realize that we will now expect you to submit a recording for our next online recital, don't you? (Deadline is Feb. 14, rapidly looming.)

p.s. It does not surprise me at all to hear that this forum was more helpful than the Zoom forum. AB forum rocks!! thumb

#1343138 - 01/07/10 11:32 AM Re: Zoom H2 issue:What's a PCM? [Re: Monica K.]
hv Offline
1000 Post Club Member

That's surprising, Monica. Because most universities go the other way. Prefer Firefox because its more configurable. Particularly its security features. Could be they've wired their own web site with non-portable features that only work with IE.

Howard

#1343155 - 01/07/10 12:03 PM Re: Zoom H2 issue:What's a PCM? [Re: hv]
hv Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Mike, I was able to duplicate the problem with MS Win Media Player on my system last night. Installed K-lite and wam... it wouldn't play wav files. None of the other players on my system had the problem, though. And I got a bunch of them. I suspect it's not K-lite specific though. My guess is the presence of any wav-codec confuses MS. Traditionally, audio players didn't use codecs to play a wav files. They only started showing up to support wav soundtracks for video where codec usage originated.

Dithering aside, if you record in such a way that you do not need to do any editing except trimming, 16-bit recording should be fine. But if you need to raise the volume level, eq, or mix after the fact, you'll get much better results with 24-bit. Even if you make 16-bit audio CDs.

Howard

#1343201 - 01/07/10 01:12 PM Re: Zoom H2 issue:What's a PCM? [Re: hv]
TX-Dennis Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Texas
Mike, Firefox is better than IE for many reasons. First, it is much faster at rendering pages. That is to say, the pages appear faster on your screen. Don't confuse this with downloading faster. That is a function of your internet connection, web traffic, etc. The difference, though great, is in fractions of seconds and probably not that significant. Second, Firefox is MUCH more configurable. There are literally hundreds of Add-Ons that one can download to extend the abilities of Firefox. I use Flashblock which blocks all Flash elements until I click them, and Blocksite which can block selected sites. It is useful for those that generate popups that aren't stopped by the built-in popup blocker. You can check out the addons here. Another advantage of Firefox is that in the rare event that it crashes, one does not have to restart the computer as one generally does with IE crashes.

I have used Firefox since it first came out, and I rarely use IE. Like Monica, I have to use IE at work and there are a couple of work-related sites that I access at home that also require IE. That is literally the only time I open it.

flickr

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
Christmas Lights at Piano World Headquarters in Maine 2014
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How to learn everything and anything about piano?
by MrMusicianship
12/22/14 07:22 PM
is my piano tunable
by d3c0
12/22/14 05:45 PM
SSHD running VST
by daz100
12/22/14 05:01 PM
do you recommend further service?
by ShannonG
12/22/14 04:34 PM
Is this now real enough?
by Philip_Johnston
12/22/14 04:21 PM
Forum Stats
77398 Members
42 Forums
160067 Topics
2350637 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission