2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
25 members (drumour, Hakki, crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, JohnCW, Kawai James, 8 invisible), 1,251 guests, and 286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 13
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by UnrightTooner

It is good that some kind of statement was made and some guidance was given. I think it would have been better yet if Bill’s fellow Guild members could have reined him in a bit, before the Forum Owner got involved.

Jeff,
I am sure it has already been attempted by other guild members.As you can witness though, this person simply refuses to stop. I am sure this person will not cease and desist with attacking other members until such time as he is banned.

Once again myself and Peter are singled out to be the bogeyman as you can read.

Mellow? I am a pussy cat. I am not even angry or upset. Just annoyed at the continuation of thread wrecking for the sake of one person, who just simply will not let the issue go. Everyone else is willing and able to see past this issue, and welcome each other whatever their background.

J
JBE Offline
J
I'm not the least bit offended by the posting at the top of this forum and I'm an associate of PTG.

Controlling people need to be reined in. If they aren't, they will attempt to convert everyone to their ways.

Trying to persuade people to do something by using guilt and fear tactics, like someone on this forum does regularly is a huge turn off.

Last edited by byronje3; 01/07/10 11:24 AM.
B
B
Originally Posted by Bill Bremmer RPT

Originally Posted by Bernhard Stopper

"The main goal of UT was to obtain the highest degree of purity in the keys of most use.
Key coloring was nothing more than an unavoidable side effect."

With all due respect to you, Bernhard, this is not true and it shows that you really do not have any significant experience with non-ET's. Granted, it is what many people think. The spread of consonance and dissonance throughout the cycle of 5ths is an intended distribution.

I take the example of the use by one of my colleagues of the 7th Comma Meantone for romantic era music in particular. The so called "wolf" key of A flat is supposedly the "unusable" key but to those who know that temperament, it is exactly the opposite. It provides for a tremendous power and energy to that key which enhances greatly the music performed in that key. Dozens upon dozens of artists, many of whom have returned repeatedly have performed here using that temperament. There are dozens of CD's available. They often speak of the "magic" that has come to life in the music which they had never experienced before.

Bill, i completely agree that this happened with the evolving use of UTs. But initially, it was seen as an unavoidable side effect.

Can you tell me one performer among string players or a university educating them, where a distinction is made to reach key coloring and use of wolf key A flat chords for example (Except playing along single notes together with a UT tuned keyboard instrument)?
The answer is no because they don´t need to, as they can always play pure, and that is what they prefer if they can.

And i agree with the offending character the thread name has.

Last edited by Bernhard Stopper; 01/07/10 11:18 AM.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Bill:

There is a saying that whoever raises their voice first has already lost the argument. Allowing yourself to show your irritation encourages the efforts of those that may try to “get your goat.”

Jeff Deutschle
Part-Time Tuner
Who taught the first chicken how to peck?
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Wish you guys wouldn't always do so much fighting!

I really need to learn about what good tuning is all about, because I think I'm getting taken for a ride by my technician/tuners! And I am trying to get educated by reading posts here on tuning. And all I find I'm doing is reading through argument after argument.

So would really appreciate you all just staying on a topic. Fighting isn't educating me!

Thanks! and can you all just stay on topic! Sincerely!

http://www.pianoworld.com/Uploads/files/goldsparkledress.jpg
Diane
Jazz/Blues/Rock/Boogie Piano Teacher
[Linked Image]
P
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
P
Hello Diane,
I'm sorry you feel that your technician/tuners are 'taking you for a ride'...

It is always a concern when professionals in any field do not meet our expectations.

Perhaps you can take it up with the 'home office' of the tuners professional organization if they are affiliated in any way.

I would also suggest you get a second opinion straight away by someone using an ETD so that any variance from acceptable could be demonstrated to you directly on the screen.

If it is stability or tone that is your concern you are completely making the point that my first post in this thread was attempting to highlight.

You may be in a 'piano tuning black hole' but I'm sure there are professionals who live not too far away from you who should be aware of the standards in your area.

If I can be of help please feel free to contact me directly.
Thank you for your contribution.

Peter Sumner
Concert Piano Technician

J
JBE Offline
J
Originally Posted by Diane...

I think I'm getting taken for a ride by my technician/tuners!

Sorry to hear that Diane.

Now, when you say technician/tuners, does this mean that you are using more than one?

If so, that might be part of the problem right there.
Find a good one and stick with him/her. Give them a chance to get to know your instrument and mould it, as only a professional can do.

B
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B

"The main goal of UT was to obtain the highest degree of purity in the keys of most use.
Key coloring was nothing more than an unavoidable side effect."

With all due respect to you, Bernhard, this is not true and it shows that you really do not have any significant experience with non-ET's. Granted, it is what many people think. The spread of consonance and dissonance throughout the cycle of 5ths is an intended distribution.

I take the example of the use by one of my colleagues of the 7th Comma Meantone for romantic era music in particular. The so called "wolf" key of A flat is supposedly the "unusable" key but to those who know that temperament, it is exactly the opposite. It provides for a tremendous power and energy to that key which enhances greatly the music performed in that key. Dozens upon dozens of artists, many of whom have returned repeatedly have performed here using that temperament. There are dozens of CD's available. They often speak of the "magic" that has come to life in the music which they had never experienced before.

Bill, i completely agree that this happened with the evolving use of UTs. But initially, it was seen as an unavoidable side effect.

Can you tell me one performer among string players or a university educating them, where a distinction is made to reach key coloring and use of wolf key A flat chords for example (Except playing along single notes together with a UT tuned keyboard instrument)?
The answer is no because they don´t need to, as they can always play pure, and that is what they prefer if they can.

And i agree with the offending character the thread name has.

Thanks for your reply, Bernhard. String players do not need to be specifically educated about keyboard tuning in order to play in tune with them. Remember that virtually all instruments except fixed pitched instruments will intone as they play. Most instruments use a vibrato and particularly for strings, that means that the pitch of each note they play varies constantly.

Indeed, some small ensemble string players will tell you that a piano tuned in ET "fights" the intonation they seek. I have seen how such ensembles respond to non-ET and playing in various key signatures. The intonation the piano provides in a well temperament more closely resembles what a string player desires than the same piano tuned in ET. A string player asked me once, "What did you do with the piano tuning!? For the first time ever, I felt I was able to play in tune with the piano! This has never happened before! What did you do!?"

A keyboard instrument is the only kind which must determine its intonation in advance because obviously, it cannot change it as it is being played. The concept of ET makes a lot of sense when viewed theoretically, outside of a musical context. Divide the scale equally so that each and every pitch will be somewhere equidistant from all other possibilities. Whatever a string player does, it is imagined that the pitch of the note from the violin, for example would oscillate above and below that of the piano.

That all seems plausible to a scientist and a mathematician. Also, what you say is true, that in the 17th Century, for example, the temperaments used at that time favored the top of the cycle of 5ths (the simple keys). Composers like Mozart even in the 18th Century did not write music in the remote keys.

However, as music progressed and temperament tuning progressed towards ET, composers like Ravel, Chopin and Debussy deliberately chose the remote keys for the energy they had. Research has shown that ET was not practiced in their time even though some people believe it must have been.

If you only look at how hard technicians struggle today to perfect ET, you can easily see that in the 19th Century, it could not have been possible. So, even though the keyboards were tuned in something fairly close to ET in the 19th Century compared toe the way they were tuned in the 17th and 18th centuries, there was still some distinction between one key signature and another. Why would these composers consistently choose those remote keys if there were not something there whose distinction they preferred?

You can also look at Brahms who seemed to love the key of A flat. The post Romantic composer, Rachmaninoff also seemed to prefer the remote keys. He lived well into the 20th Century but in Russia, do you really think the tuners there all read the Braide-White book and with its instructions were successfully tuning ET? There had to be something about those remote keys that Rachmaninoff preferred or he would not have chosen them.

There can be many more examples from other composers that all point to a choice of key signature for a specific reason. It is not all because of sweeter sounding harmony. Sometimes it is soaring melody, sometimes it is to find a dark and disturbing mood.

I'm afraid that too many piano technicians still think only in "on or off" terms. The temperament is either equal and therefore pleasing and correct or it is unequal with intolerable dissonances and therefore completely unacceptable. This ignores the possibilities there are in tuning of which the range is infinite.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison WI USA
www.billbremmer.com
I
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I
Well, Bill, yes - a very large grey area for me, at least. In my infancy of learning to tune, it appears that what I do is short of equal temperament (lack of skill/experience, etc), but I ensure the instrument can be played in all keys, and modulations provide a sense of color that might otherwise get lost, and especially putting my energies into good unisons and pin-setting.

Sure, there are lots of things to further consider as my skills mature and improve, like the biggie, consistency. But, I am improving. All these discussions, and all the hands-on experience I've been afforded thusfar is proving worthwhile.

I've already noticed a mini-pattern in my tunings. I suppose it is because I am listening for something in particular that applies to what I consider a good tuning. The 3ds, 6ths, 10ths, increasing beat rate checks help me ensure that I am, at least, in the ballpark, while making sure the 4ths/5ths are adequately tempered, (4ths slightly wider than the 5ths are narrow).

I've receive a few referrals at this early stage of my tuning journey, so something is going right.

Thanks again, for your assistance, and to Issac for the solid observations.

Glen

[Linked Image]
A Bit of YouTube
PTG Associate Member
A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
..."Why would these composers consistently choose those remote keys if there were not something there whose distinction they preferred?"...

One of many possible answers (opinion): because musicians and composers sing and write and play the sounds they have inside. In other words, their ear/our ear is indulgent and somehow forced to be "easy going". Even if they get deaf, they still continue to play and/or compose. Then, which temperament would they be inspired by?

..."Indeed, some small ensemble string players will tell you that a piano tuned in ET "fights" the intonation they seek. I have seen how such ensembles respond to non-ET and playing in various key signatures. The intonation the piano provides in a well temperament more closely resembles what a string player desires than the same piano tuned in ET. A string player asked me once, "What did you do with the piano tuning!? For the first time ever, I felt I was able to play in tune with the piano! This has never happened before! What did you do!?"...

I can not share this experience of yours. Never had problems with ET, and if pro situations make sense (but just one would not), more than once I could see musicians thrilled with ET (sorry, I should say my ET version), some of them happy like never before.

In my opinion "vibrato" is recalling beats, nothing to do with sort of pure intervals here and there.

..."UTs. But initially, it was seen as an unavoidable side effect."...

I agree. it was Wolf, not birdcall. And what happens to a less "in tune" wolf interval? How many hours of playing before it turns into a dragon?

..."Trying to persuade people to do something by using guilt and fear tactics, like someone on this forum does regularly is a huge turn off."...

I agree. I like playing with words too and it would be quite sade without irony, and difficult without auto-irony. And thread-shut-down sounds like an alarm to me.

a.c.

Last edited by alfredo capurso; 01/07/10 08:06 PM.

alfredo
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Diane...

Killjoy! ... (I'm kidding! 'Just Kidding, Diane)

I stay out of the fray. I'm not smart enough to be in it in any meaningful way. That keeps me safe ... I think.

David L. Jenson
Tuning - Repairs - Refurbishing
Jenson's Piano Service
-----
B
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
I will take Dan's analogy to coffee to illustrate exactly what I believe. Dan says that if you order coffee, you expect one thing, something which is standard in North America. I have often interacted with visitors from France and I lived in France during my senior year at the university. I learned the language well and learned about the cultural differences between France and North America.

One thing French people consistently say when they visit the USA is how bad both the coffee and bread here are. I remember seeing a documentary on coffee on the History Channel. It said that for decades, the American public was sold bad coffee. There was really no alternative to it. Wherever you might buy coffee, there was only one kind. I recall my mother saying how bad restaurant coffee always was. It always had this certain taste that she did not like. At least at home, she could make better coffee in her percolator. The restaurants all made coffee the same way and all of the coffee distributed to restaurants was usually by only one distributor and only one kind of coffee. Coffee was coffee.

Americans came to accept that kind of coffee and like it for what it was. The same was true of bread. During my childhood, bread meant only one thing to me. It was what commercial bakeries produced in mass and sold to the public. There really wasn't any other choice or if there was at all, it was more expensive, so my mother never bought it and therefore, I never knew of it. All I had to do was to go to France to discover that both coffee and bread could be something entirely different from what I had known my whole life previously.

Sometime well after I had returned from living in France, the company Starbuck's, located in Seattle where the people love their coffee decided to offer its customers a choice. They quickly found that people were often willing to pay more for something that was not the usual coffee they had always known. Starbuck's business expanded rapidly. It grew to the point where there were Starbuck's coffee houses across the street from each other all over the USA.

Many other coffee houses also opened. They offered any and all kinds of variations. Even their standard coffee was not what coffee used to be. Where I live, there are now at least a dozen coffee houses, including two Starbuck's within walking distance. There are several brands. Each offers multiple possibilities as a coffee beverage. Any way you want it, they can make it. Each place has their own decor and each one wants you as a customer to feel that you are welcome and they have just what you like. Most customers choose something other than the standard brew. Any of those choices costs more than the standard but most people choose something other than the ordinary. That makes the business profitable. No such businesses used to exist but now they do and they employ people and pay taxes.

Mc Donald's used to only serve one kind of coffee and it was bad. Then, they tried offering "premium coffee" for a higher price along with their standard brew. So many people bought the premium coffee at the higher price and no longer chose the standard brew that Mc Donald's stopped offering the standard brew!

Gas station convenience stores also saw this trend and began to offer customers premium coffee. It all cost more but the people who bought coffee were glad to pay the higher price for something better.

Today at the supermarket where I shop and even at Wal Mart, you can still buy what used to be known as the only coffee there ever was and also the only kind of bread there ever was but you can also buy any number of alternatives. These businesses would not stock these many variations at higher prices unless a substantial number of people bought them! Retailers sell what people choose to buy.

It took a company like Starbuck's to take the initiative to offer the public something other than what they had previously. One distinction there is about a free market is that the consumer has a choice. I often see it written, "None of my customers ever asked for an HT". That is because they don't know that there is anything to ask for other than just one thing, a piano tuning. It is not really that they are expecting ET, they most often don't even know what ET is. They most often have been served previously a the bad "brew" of reverse well and not ET anyway.

Here, in Madison, Wisconsin, USA, it took the initiative and the foresight of two of my local colleagues to introduce and promote the concept of an alternative temperament in piano tuning. It was not me that started it. I resisted the idea initially and had the same notions about it that most technicians have. For me, it took hearing actual music played on a piano tuned that way to persuade me. Once I heard it, I was convinced of the value.

Today in my area, we have a situation analogous to the Starbuck's phenomenon. The alternatives to ET are known and are more popular and in far more demand than ET. People have "tasted" what we offer and are willing to pay more for it. Those of us who use non-ET's don't want any piano we tune to sound like any piano the ET tuners or the reverse well tuners tune. There may be people who just want the regular and they can get just the regular but when they call one of us, they get what we offer and it is not the regular, just like Starbuck's and all the other coffee houses and other places who serve coffee.

All of this was possible only through the mutual respect that local RPT's have for each other by association with PTG, bye the way. Had there been no PTG Chapter, had we not had meetings and presentations, it would have never happened. None of us would probably ever have known who Owen Jorgensen was. The ETD's we have today would not exist as they are now.

To know only one way to tune, to believe only in one way to tune and do that imperfectly while shutting out all other possibilities is to limit oneself needlessly and ultimately, it will be to one's detriment as others around sign on to the Starbuck's concept. Steinway has always been like that. I was told rather rudely by Ron Conners once in his distinct Brooklyn accent, "We respond to the artists, when the artists start asking for it, we'll do it". Well, that day has arrived. Steinway artist Peter Serkin now specifically requests the 1/7 comma meantone temperament. If he comes to where Peter who started this insulting thread lives and Peter scoffs at him, Peter Serkin will just find someone else.

After tuning a piano for André Michel-Schub (also a Steinway artist) for the Beethoven Emperor Concerto in 1990 in a well temperament, he was so thrilled with it, he asked for it in Los Angeles and was rudely told by the technician, "Forget it, you're getting ET!" That Steinway artist was forced to accept what he didn't want and what he didn't want was ET and that was now 20 years ago.

The time will come when these requests by high caliber artists will become more common. I have long seen that the motivation for resistance to non-ET's by many technicians is primarily that they will be forced to learn something new. The same motivation exists on this forum with regards to PTG and RPT. The greater the presence of both, the more intimidated they feel by both. Let's make a rule against even mentioning PTG or RPT just so we won't feel any pressure. That has not worked. I am not the only person who suggests to novice technicians that they seek membership in PTG and RPT status. I am not the only person who refers pianists to RPT's. I won't be banned from this forum for doing so. You can choose to either live it or live with it. PTG, RPT's and non-ET's are not going away.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison WI USA
www.billbremmer.com
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Well said! thumb

J
JBE Offline
J
[quote=Bernhard Stopper][quote=Bill
Why would these composers consistently choose those remote keys if there were not something there whose distinction they preferred?

Don't forget about today's composers. Today's composers composing on pianos tuned in ET still compose in different keys for the same reasons. Even in ET, each key provides a different feel and quality musically. Your intellect will say it can't be, but it is true.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I will take Dan's analogy to coffee to illustrate exactly what I believe. Dan says that if you order coffee, you expect one thing, something which is standard in North America. I have often interacted with visitors from France and I lived in France during my senior year at the university. I learned the language well and learned about the cultural differences between France and North America.

One thing French people consistently say when they visit the USA is how bad both the coffee and bread here are. I remember seeing a documentary on coffee on the History Channel. It said that for decades, the American public was sold bad coffee. There was really no alternative to it. Wherever you might buy coffee, there was only one kind. I recall my mother saying how bad restaurant coffee always was. It always had this certain taste that she did not like. At least at home, she could make better coffee in her percolator. The restaurants all made coffee the same way and all of the coffee distributed to restaurants was usually by only one distributor and only one kind of coffee. Coffee was coffee.

Americans came to accept that kind of coffee and like it for what it was. The same was true of bread. During my childhood, bread meant only one thing to me. It was what commercial bakeries produced in mass and sold to the public. There really wasn't any other choice or if there was at all, it was more expensive, so my mother never bought it and therefore, I never knew of it. All I had to do was to go to France to discover that both coffee and bread could be something entirely different from what I had known my whole life previously.

Sometime well after I had returned from living in France, the company Starbuck's, located in Seattle where the people love their coffee decided to offer its customers a choice. They quickly found that people were often willing to pay more for something that was not the usual coffee they had always known. Starbuck's business expanded rapidly. It grew to the point where there were Starbuck's coffee houses across the street from each other all over the USA.

Many other coffee houses also opened. They offered any and all kinds of variations. Even their standard coffee was not what coffee used to be. Where I live, there are now at least a dozen coffee houses, including two Starbuck's within walking distance. There are several brands. Each offers multiple possibilities as a coffee beverage. Any way you want it, they can make it. Each place has their own decor and each one wants you as a customer to feel that you are welcome and they have just what you like. Most customers choose something other than the standard brew. Any of those choices costs more than the standard but most people choose something other than the ordinary. That makes the business profitable. No such businesses used to exist but now they do and they employ people and pay taxes.

Mc Donald's used to only serve one kind of coffee and it was bad. Then, they tried offering "premium coffee" for a higher price along with their standard brew. So many people bought the premium coffee at the higher price and no longer chose the standard brew that Mc Donald's stopped offering the standard brew!

Gas station convenience stores also saw this trend and began to offer customers premium coffee. It all cost more but the people who bought coffee were glad to pay the higher price for something better.

Today at the supermarket where I shop and even at Wal Mart, you can still buy what used to be known as the only coffee there ever was and also the only kind of bread there ever was but you can also buy any number of alternatives. These businesses would not stock these many variations at higher prices unless a substantial number of people bought them! Retailers sell what people choose to buy.

It took a company like Starbuck's to take the initiative to offer the public something other than what they had previously. One distinction there is about a free market is that the consumer has a choice. I often see it written, "None of my customers ever asked for an HT". That is because they don't know that there is anything to ask for other than just one thing, a piano tuning. It is not really that they are expecting ET, they most often don't even know what ET is. They most often have been served previously a the bad "brew" of reverse well and not ET anyway.

Here, in Madison, Wisconsin, USA, it took the initiative and the foresight of two of my local colleagues to introduce and promote the concept of an alternative temperament in piano tuning. It was not me that started it. I resisted the idea initially and had the same notions about it that most technicians have. For me, it took hearing actual music played on a piano tuned that way to persuade me. Once I heard it, I was convinced of the value.

Today in my area, we have a situation analogous to the Starbuck's phenomenon. The alternatives to ET are known and are more popular and in far more demand than ET. People have "tasted" what we offer and are willing to pay more for it. Those of us who use non-ET's don't want any piano we tune to sound like any piano the ET tuners or the reverse well tuners tune. There may be people who just want the regular and they can get just the regular but when they call one of us, they get what we offer and it is not the regular, just like Starbuck's and all the other coffee houses and other places who serve coffee.

All of this was possible only through the mutual respect that local RPT's have for each other by association with PTG, bye the way. Had there been no PTG Chapter, had we not had meetings and presentations, it would have never happened. None of us would probably ever have known who Owen Jorgensen was. The ETD's we have today would not exist as they are now.

To know only one way to tune, to believe only in one way to tune and do that imperfectly while shutting out all other possibilities is to limit oneself needlessly and ultimately, it will be to one's detriment as others around sign on to the Starbuck's concept. Steinway has always been like that. I was told rather rudely by Ron Conners once in his distinct Brooklyn accent, "We respond to the artists, when the artists start asking for it, we'll do it". Well, that day has arrived. Steinway artist Peter Serkin now specifically requests the 1/7 comma meantone temperament. If he comes to where Peter who started this insulting thread lives and Peter scoffs at him, Peter Serkin will just find someone else.

After tuning a piano for André Michel-Schub (also a Steinway artist) for the Beethoven Emperor Concerto in 1990 in a well temperament, he was so thrilled with it, he asked for it in Los Angeles and was rudely told by the technician, "Forget it, you're getting ET!" That Steinway artist was forced to accept what he didn't want and what he didn't want was ET and that was now 20 years ago.

The time will come when these requests by high caliber artists will become more common. I have long seen that the motivation for resistance to non-ET's by many technicians is primarily that they will be forced to learn something new. The same motivation exists on this forum with regards to PTG and RPT. The greater the presence of both, the more intimidated they feel by both. Let's make a rule against even mentioning PTG or RPT just so we won't feel any pressure. That has not worked. I am not the only person who suggests to novice technicians that they seek membership in PTG and RPT status. I am not the only person who refers pianists to RPT's. I won't be banned from this forum for doing so. You can choose to either live it or live with it. PTG, RPT's and non-ET's are not going away.

https://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubb...0the%20Technician%20For.html#Post1158969

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by byronje3
[quote=Bernhard Stopper][quote=Bill
Why would these composers consistently choose those remote keys if there were not something there whose distinction they preferred?

Don't forget about today's composers. Today's composers composing on pianos tuned in ET still compose in different keys for the same reasons. Even in ET, each key provides a different feel and quality musically. Your intellect will say it can't be, but it is true.

I definitely agree with that. To use an older example, I've heard Debussy's Clair de Lune played both in the original key and transposed to C major. It completely loses the atmosphere that Debussy is able to create in Dâ™­. And yes, the pianos were tuned to ET.

Last edited by Horowitzian; 01/07/10 10:13 PM. Reason: added info and fixed those darn typos! :-)

Close only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades, and nuclear weapons.
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Yes, but were they tuned to A 435, as Debussy's piano probably was?

Semipro Tech
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
No, these were modern performances. Straight ahead ET and A440.

Last edited by Horowitzian; 01/07/10 10:17 PM.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Yes, but were they tuned to true ET or a bad Reverse Well disguised as ET?

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Meh.

Page 5 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 13

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission