Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1343668 - 01/08/10 02:40 AM same note in both clefs simultaneously
Skywalker Offline

Loc: Rhode Island
in my piano arrangement of mozart's bassoon concerto mvmt. 3 rondo (k.191) there is a passage that reoccurs in which the very same D (natural) is being held in the right hand as part of the Bb chord for a half-tone, and during this, in the left hand, it says to play a Bb octave then move up to D. The very D i'm supposed to hold in the right hand chord.

I don't know if this is a mistake or what, but like i said it occurs a few times during the piece, and i believe i've seen a piece of sheet music in the past with the same thing going on. So my question is, in scenarios like this one, and not just for this one, but in situations where this occurs, what should I do?

is there a rule that I'm missing? How do I correctly play this?

THANKS!!!

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1343669 - 01/08/10 02:42 AM Re: same note in both clefs simultaneously [Re: Skywalker]
Nikolas Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Europe
No, there isn't a rule you're missing, it's more like 'what is used to' between different eras. This also appears in Bach, if not mistaken, for the simple reason of having a counterpoint melody reaching the same note with another one.

In the case you're describing you need to play all Ds, regardless if it's been held by a chord on the left hand. The left hand will lift the D, and let the right hand play it. This the Bb chord will remain in the ears of the audience 'intact'!

#1343671 - 01/08/10 02:49 AM Re: same note in both clefs simultaneously [Re: Skywalker]
Mark_C Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
It's not uncommon, both in original piano pieces and in arrangements.

The usual solution is one of these two things, both of which require that you let go of the D in the R.H. Then, either re-strike it with the R.H. (and then "re-hold" it) even though it's written to be played by the L.H.; or play it with the L.H. and then probably don't worry about re-holding it. Sometimes in passages like this you'll have the PEDAL down, and that will take care of sustaining the D and so it won't matter if you don't "re-hold" it.

Another solution, which many people will think is just wrong but it isn't necessarily, is to NOT play the D with the right hand in the first place, since it's part of a CHORD and sometimes you can get away fine with just leaving it out. I've sometimes done that, and nobody ever knew the difference. ha

#1343674 - 01/08/10 02:50 AM Re: same note in both clefs simultaneously [Re: Nikolas]
Skywalker Offline

so basically i should allow one hand to "receive" the note before the other hand let's go? rather than playing it twice?

#1343675 - 01/08/10 02:50 AM Re: same note in both clefs simultaneously [Re: Nikolas]
Mark_C Online   content

(As you can see from my post, I disagree a little bit.)

#1343676 - 01/08/10 02:52 AM Re: same note in both clefs simultaneously [Re: Skywalker]
Mark_C Online   content

You misunderstood him -- he meant play it twice, as I also did, unless you decide it works to just leave it out from the chord in the R.H., in which case you only strike it once (i.e. the "second" time).

In arrangements like what you're talking about, very often it works fine to just leave it out. I mean, it's just an "arrangement" anyway, and you can re-arrange the arrangement. smile
In arrangements, it's basically whatever you can do and whatever sounds OK.

#1343679 - 01/08/10 03:05 AM Re: same note in both clefs simultaneously [Re: Mark_C]
Skywalker Offline

thank you, that's good advice...i'll practice it a few times each way and see what works best.

#1343691 - 01/08/10 03:38 AM Re: same note in both clefs simultaneously [Re: Skywalker]
Nikolas Offline
4000 Post Club Member

It really depends on where the second D belong. If it belongs to an important melody, then it would be wise not to omit it, otherwise it should be fine. I will admit that the very few times I accompanied another pianist, I did add a few parts, and ommited others, since I thought my arrangement was better *hehe*... <- here's me thinking I'm the greatest! laugh Enjoy me! laugh

#1343692 - 01/08/10 03:41 AM Re: same note in both clefs simultaneously [Re: Nikolas]
Canonie Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
Quote:
I will admit that the very few times I accompanied another pianist, I did add a few parts, and ommited others, since I thought my arrangement was better *hehe*... <- here's me thinking I'm the greatest! laugh Enjoy me! laugh

that's what composers do; they can't help themselves smile

Composers manufacture a product that is universally deemed superfluous—at least until their music enters public consciousness, at which point people begin to say that they could not live without it.
Alex Ross.

#1343695 - 01/08/10 03:54 AM Re: same note in both clefs simultaneously [Re: Canonie]
Nikolas Offline
4000 Post Club Member

I know! frown :P

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
132 registered (Anne'sson, accordeur, Almaviva, angga888, 40 invisible), 1476 Guests and 47 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74264 Members
42 Forums
153619 Topics
2251496 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Noodling board
by Maarkr
Today at 10:20 PM
New Movement Composed "To Rule" 4/20/2014
by hsheck
Today at 10:17 PM
Understanding Sharps
by imustlearn
Today at 08:18 PM
When a beginner is not a beginner anymore?
by Eight Octaves
Today at 08:09 PM
DEBUSSY-"Serenade for the Doll" from 'Children's Corner'
by Hal Freedman
Today at 07:14 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission