Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1342286 - 01/06/10 11:59 AM How to Start an Amateur Pianist Group or Piano Party Group
A Rebours Offline

I am looking for ideas about how to approach creating a group for amateur adult piano enthusiasts in my town. My piano teacher has queried the other piano teachers about the number of adult students they have. The number is quite high. We are looking for ideas about how to go about soliciting these adults for their interest in the possibility of meeting socially and getting together to play the piano. Along the lines of either the piano party approach or the formation of a group of amateurs who are looking for more opportunities to play for others outside of lessons and studio recitals in a relaxed setting.

I am especially interested in the ideas from people who have successfully created piano parties or piano groups that meet on a somewhat regular basis. But any ideas that may be helpful would be appreciated.

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#1342299 - 01/06/10 12:26 PM Re: How to Start an Amateur Pianist Group or Piano Party Group [Re: A Rebours]
gooddog Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle area, WA
Perhaps you can get email addresses or phone numbers for those piano students. Then I'd set a date, buy some good things to eat and drink, and have a party/meeting. Goals would be to set things such as type of music welcome, whether or not guests are welcome, size of the group, how often you meet, who arranges contacting people for meetings etc.

Deborah

#1342335 - 01/06/10 01:13 PM Re: How to Start an Amateur Pianist Group or Piano Party Group [Re: gooddog]
John Citron Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Haverhill, Massachusetts
The piano party approach may work as well as allow guests because that would increase the exposure of the group and act as free advertising. Once the group is established, you can than set plans for recitals, concert attendance, museum trips, etc. This seems to be how the the PW piano parties work up in my area.

John

#1342370 - 01/06/10 01:44 PM Re: How to Start an Amateur Pianist Group or Piano Party Group [Re: John Citron]
BruceD Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Victoria, BC
I have been the "animateur" for three years for an adult performance group here in Victoria. We meet once a month in each others' homes to perform for each other.

The purpose of our group - which may differ from that of the group you hope to form - is to give adult students with limited performance experience the opportunities to perform in a friendly, supportive environment, opportunities that they otherwise rarely have or don't take advantage of because of their fear of performing.

It has always been our policy that outsiders - i.e. non-performers, even spouses and best friends - are not permitted to attend recitals, as many of the more timourous in the group feel intimidated even by friendly faces of non-musicians who can't fully appreciate the stress that an inexperienced performer goes through when performing for a group. As our group has grown, seating for "extras" becomes somewhat problematic, too, given that our recitals are held in members' homes, and when we have more than a dozen people performing it becomes a bit of a squeeze for some hosts to accommodate more than that. We don't all have concert-sized living rooms!

That said, we have recently initiated a year-end recital in which spouses and friends are invited and warmly welcomed to attend. A couple of us have large enough homes that, with a little gentle "encouraged togetherness" we can accommodate up to 20 people.

In my experience, it is a good idea from the outset to establish certain guidelines - they need not be rigid rules - that help set the tone and define the purpose of the group.
Our group has evolved since its original formation about six years ago and now includes members who have some (non-professional) performance experience along with those seeking for more such opportunities. The primary purpose, however, remains the same : to provide regular performance opportunities to those needing them.

The growth of the group has been stable in the time I have belonged to it which, I think, attests to its usefulness; it continues to thrive. New members join, usually having heard about us from other members, and some members - both short-term and long-term members - do sometimes disappear without a trace. That is the nature, I think, of social groups.

A rebours : Given that your area seems to have a goodly number of adult students, starting through their teachers might be a good place to start. If the group gets off the ground then, almost certainly, word of mouth will help it to grow and - it is to be hoped - the dedication of a core membership will keep it alive and thriving.

The Victoria Conservatory of Music has recently established a similar group for adult students at the conservatory. The VCM based its guidelines on those that I have established for our group. If anyone wishes a copy of the guidelines for our private group, please feel free to send me a PM with your email address and I will send you a copy.

Best of luck in establishing a group; it's a great idea that does work!

Regards,

#1342585 - 01/06/10 06:10 PM Re: How to Start an Amateur Pianist Group or Piano Party Group [Re: BruceD]
dmc092657 Offline

The local Steinway dealer here hosts an "Evening around the piano" once a month. It targets adults and is very low key. We are encouraged to play anything we are working on (provided one stays within a reasonable time frame) or just listen if you prefer. We get to play a beautiful Steinway D.

You might discuss this possibility with a local piano dealer to see if they'd be agreeable to hosting it and doing some publicizing as well.

#1342839 - 01/06/10 11:27 PM Re: How to Start an Amateur Pianist Group or Piano Party Group [Re: dmc092657]
lilylady Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: boston north
Where are you located?

We have many members from everywhere here on PW. And I bet that many would like to get together, if someone just organized it!

Good suggestions from above. In the Boston area we have quite a nice group that gets together once in a while to play for each other. See the other section on PW for parties etc. None are formal but many are planned ahead party parties. Some of us have gotten together with just twosies and threesies.

Added to the above - Nice to experience other pianos both new and old too. Even nicer when they are prepped for visiting players!

Let us know how you make out and make sure you tell the teachers/students/participants about Piano World!

BTW note the posts from TT and John Citron in this thread -
http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthrea...%20years...html

Edited by lilylady (01/06/10 11:32 PM)

#1342905 - 01/07/10 01:15 AM Re: How to Start an Amateur Pianist Group or Piano Party Group [Re: lilylady]
Volusiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Meetup.com seems to be an upcoming popular website to help organizing group get togethers of common interests in various locales. You may want to check it out to see if there's already any piano group in your area. Or create a new group through Meetup.

#1343081 - 01/07/10 09:58 AM Re: How to Start an Amateur Pianist Group or Piano Party Group [Re: lilylady]
gooddog Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle area, WA
Originally Posted By: lilylady
In the Boston area we have quite a nice group that gets together once in a while to play for each other.

I miss Boston. I used to live there. What a great city!

Deborah

#1344086 - 01/08/10 04:11 PM Re: How to Start an Amateur Pianist Group or Piano Party Group [Re: gooddog]
A Rebours Offline

Hi, gooddog,

Originally Posted By: gooddog
Perhaps you can get email addresses or phone numbers for those piano students.

This is what I/we am/we are going to do. We will be writing up a short invitation that will be distributed to the piano teachers at their next music teachers' association meeting. It is include "if interested, contact _____________ or email @ _____________.

My teacher polled the other teachers to find out how many adults they were teaching and there were 35 of them.

Thanks for your suggestions.

#1344096 - 01/08/10 04:23 PM Re: How to Start an Amateur Pianist Group or Piano Party Group [Re: BruceD]
A Rebours Offline

Hi, Bruce D -

Originally Posted By: BruceD
I have been the "animateur" for three years for an adult performance group here in Victoria. We meet once a month in each others' homes to perform for each other.

The purpose of our group - which may differ from that of the group you hope to form - is to give adult students with limited performance experience the opportunities to perform in a friendly, supportive environment, opportunities that they otherwise rarely have or don't take advantage of because of their fear of performing..........

We don't all have concert-sized living rooms!

The purpose of the group that I would like to get started is exactly as you have stated above.

As far as I know there aren't that many informal performing opportunities for adult piano students unless they are related to whatever a teacher does within their own studios. My intention is to have other adults get to have more opportunities as well as for the adults to find other adults with the same interest in the piano.

I also would need to limit the size of the group to no more than 10 to begin with. Like you say, our living rooms aren't concert halls. LOL. I can comfortably fit 7 people, but could squeeze in no more than 10.

If a groups forms and we find we have other piano interests besides the opportunity to play, then I envision that the activities could evolve over time.

I appreciate your detailed reply to my OP, it was very helpful.

#1344104 - 01/08/10 04:33 PM Re: How to Start an Amateur Pianist Group or Piano Party Group [Re: dmc092657]
A Rebours Offline

Thanks for the suggestion.

Originally Posted By: dmc092657
The local Steinway dealer here hosts an "Evening around the piano" once a month......You might discuss this possibility with a local piano dealer to see if they'd be agreeable to hosting it and doing some publicizing as well.

However, we do not have ANY piano dealers in my area! I am located between Spokane and Seattle; 2 3/4 hrs and 2 1/2 hrs. drive respectively. The Seattle area has the most dealers and Spokane less.

The local purveyors of musical instruments sell band and orchestra instruments for beginners and kids in school programs; guitars, acoustic and electric; drum sets; electronic keyboards, mainly entry level and the most affordable ones; sheet music.

So no there is no public location with an acoustic piano to host a group.

We are very limited where I live. That is the reason I am looking to form a group.

#1344125 - 01/08/10 04:59 PM Re: How to Start an Amateur Pianist Group or Piano Party Group [Re: lilylady]
A Rebours Offline

Hi, lilylady,

Originally Posted By: lilylady
Where are you located?

We have many members from everywhere here on PW. And I bet that many would like to get together, if someone just organized it!

Good suggestions from above. In the Boston area we have quite a nice group that gets together once in a while to play for each other. See the other section on PW for parties etc. None are formal but many are planned ahead party parties. Some of us have gotten together with just twosies and threesies.

Added to the above - Nice to experience other pianos both new and old too. Even nicer when they are prepped for visiting players!

Let us know how you make out and make sure you tell the teachers/students/participants about Piano World!

I'm in Wenatchee, WA.

After reading on Piano World about all of the different piano groups in the various towns and cities, I thought that if our town didn't have such a group already, I'd try to get one started thinking that maybe there are others hiding in the woodwork who might be interested. By circulating an invitation through the teachers I may also end up finding out that a group already exists and all I would have to do is contact them to see if I could join it.

Twosies and threesies would be fine with me. Just having more than myself would be fantastic.

Having the opportunity to play other pianos would be a nice bonus. In addition, having the ability to listen to my own piano as an audience member would be nice for a change. I loved listening to my piano teacher play it when we did a lesson at my home. Sitting away from the piano allows me to get a different perspective of the sound and nuance.

I'll keep you posted as I progress in getting a group off of the ground. And of, course, I'll mention Piano World to anyone who is unaware of the forum.

#1344132 - 01/08/10 05:02 PM Re: How to Start an Amateur Pianist Group or Piano Party Group [Re: Volusiano]
A Rebours Offline

Hi,

Originally Posted By: Volusiano
Meetup.com seems to be an upcoming popular website to help organizing group get togethers of common interests in various locales. You may want to check it out to see if there's already any piano group in your area. Or create a new group through Meetup.

I did check Meetup. Nothing for my area. I didn't feel like starting a group through Meetup, though. I prefer to do things face to face.

But good suggestion.

#1344140 - 01/08/10 05:12 PM Re: How to Start an Amateur Pianist Group or Piano Party Group [Re: A Rebours]
Entheo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: chicago, il
here on chicago's north shore, one of the board members of the music institute of chicago hosts a piano soiree once a quarter, sundays at 3 pm. word of mouth mainly, from the adult students. hors d'oeuvres afterwards. it's a lot of fun. 10, maybe 15 show up -- mistakes are welcome :-)

maybe start small and it will grow, or craig's list to find others.

#1344150 - 01/08/10 05:27 PM Re: How to Start an Amateur Pianist Group or Piano Party Group [Re: Entheo]
BruceD Offline

A Rebours :

It sounds as though you have a good potential source (35 adult students) from which to start a group.

A couple of possible reasons that there are fewer opportunities for adults to perform : (these observations may belabour the obvious!)

1) Many piano teachers have few adult students. When those teachers have recitals, often some of the adults with commitments many not be able to attend and the remaining one or two don't necessarily want to perform in a recital of 10 or 12 pre-teenagers.
2) Many piano teachers schedule only one or two recitals per year; that doesn't provide a lot of performance opportunities.

The big advantages of the adults-only performance group - particularly if you are able to establish one on a regular basis - is that
1) more opportunities arise for performing over a given period of time, even if an adult has to miss one or two during a year, and
2) Even if only a few are available for any given recital, there is the added comfort and encouragement of performing among other adults.

To try to add to the "comfort level" of our group, each of our recitals is divided into two sessions, separated by a refreshment break. The first session is intended for those more elementary players or for anyone wishing to try out a "work in progress"; the second session is (usually) for those more advanced or with more polish to their works. This has at times been particularly helpful to the adult student who is prepared to play his/her first Grade 2 piece ("The Swing," or "Falling Waters," or "My Dolly's Lament") but who would feel considerably intimidated if s/he is scheduled to follow someone playing a Rachmaninoff Prelude or a Chopin Etude.

Those not intimidated by others more advanced have the choice of performing in whichever session more conveniently fits the individual's schedule. Most of our members, in whatever session the play, are always pleased to attend the entire recital of both sessions - and two refreshment periods, one in between the two sessions and one after the last session.

Our particular group, by the way, as it has evolved, is not limited to adult piano students; we have the odd voice student (odd as in number, not as in personal character!) a couple of violinists, a violist, a classical guitarist, a cellist, a clarinetist, two flautists and two recorder players along with our pianists. This has led to some accompaniment opportunities within the group.

Our group's mailing list numbers slightly over 30 now; at any given monthly recital we have from as few as eight to as many as 16 in attendance. So, a large resource pool doesn't necessarily mean that you will have a houseful every time, given that adults often have more serious commitments that may limit their attendance at recital programs.

I apologize for the long post about "our group" but some of these thoughts may help give you some ideas as you organize yours.

Regards,

#1348518 - 01/13/10 11:43 AM Re: How to Start an Amateur Pianist Group or Piano Party Group [Re: BruceD]
gmf001 Offline

Loc: Uxbridge, ON, Canada
You might also check this out. This is a well established group in the DC area. You may get some ideas from their site and publications.
http://www.amsfperform.org/about.html

#1349411 - 01/14/10 01:40 PM Re: How to Start an Amateur Pianist Group or Piano Party Group [Re: BruceD]
A Rebours Offline

Hi, Bruce D

A Rebours :

I apologize for the long post about "our group" but some of these thoughts may help give you some ideas as you organize yours.

Thank you for the specifics on how you organized the performances and all of the other information you provided. Your "long post" is very helpful. Actually, I like the thoroughness of your posts! Excellent things to consider.

#1349420 - 01/14/10 01:48 PM Re: How to Start an Amateur Pianist Group or Piano Party Group [Re: gmf001]
A Rebours Offline

Originally Posted By: gmf001
You might also check this out. This is a well established group in the DC area. You may get some ideas from their site and publications.
http://www.amsfperform.org/about.html

Thank you for the link. I have seen this site before (many months ago) and it is one of the reasons I was feeling sorry for myself for not living in a area with an active group of adult piano students! Ha Ha!

But I forgot about it and re-reading the information about how and why the group got started and the precision in their stated goals is a good model to guide me.

They are a wonderful group indeed.

#1924633 - 07/09/12 11:56 AM Re: How to Start an Amateur Pianist Group or Piano Party Group [Re: A Rebours]
Lorraine SE22 Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
I recently set up an amateur piano group in London, you can have a look around our web site here:

http://londonpianosalon.wordpress.com

We have around 20 performers plus 10 observers at the event. We hold it at Steinway Hall.

#1924659 - 07/09/12 01:17 PM Re: How to Start an Amateur Pianist Group or Piano Party Group [Re: A Rebours]
musica71 Offline

Loc: Bend, Or.
I am in Bend, Oregon, a good 3 hours South of Portland. I started a group 4 years ago after moving from the Seattle area. We meet about 3-4 times a year in homes with good pianos. There are presently about 5 people that play and sometimes 15 or so listening. There is no Piano Store here and I do not know of a public venue that we would not have to pay to use. We call it a Soiree' and have nice munchies and wine, the Christmas Soiree' is especially great!

#1924736 - 07/09/12 05:25 PM Re: How to Start an Amateur Pianist Group or Piano Party Group [Re: Entheo]
RonaldSteinway Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Entheo
here on chicago's north shore, one of the board members of the music institute of chicago hosts a piano soiree once a quarter, sundays at 3 pm. word of mouth mainly, from the adult students. hors d'oeuvres afterwards. it's a lot of fun. 10, maybe 15 show up -- mistakes are welcome :-)

maybe start small and it will grow, or craig's list to find others.

I contacted them. Unfortunately, one needs to be a student of Music Institute of Chicago, otherwise, one cannot participate.

#1924739 - 07/09/12 05:42 PM Re: How to Start an Amateur Pianist Group or Piano Party Group [Re: A Rebours]
A Rebours Offline

Update on my attempt to start an adult piano group in my area:

Dismal! I personally talked to several piano teachers who had adult students, wrote an invitation to their adult students, set up a time and place for an informational meeting etc.

Result - only 1 person showed up. The teachers I spoke with said their adults don't like to play for others. Even though I emphasized that the main point was for adult pianists to meet and that playing wasn't required, I don't think the message got through.

So, in my area there doesn't seem to be an interest.

A R

#1924743 - 07/09/12 05:59 PM Re: How to Start an Amateur Pianist Group or Piano Party Group [Re: A Rebours]
BruceD Offline

Originally Posted By: A Rebours
Update on my attempt to start an adult piano group in my area:

Dismal! I personally talked to several piano teachers who had adult students, wrote an invitation to their adult students, set up a time and place for an informational meeting etc.

Result - only 1 person showed up. The teachers I spoke with said their adults don't like to play for others. Even though I emphasized that the main point was for adult pianists to meet and that playing wasn't required, I don't think the message got through.

So, in my area there doesn't seem to be an interest.

A R

The statement "...their adults don't like to play for others..." is really rather sad, don't you think? Practicing piano is a solitary pursuit, and I feel that it only reaches some kind of fulfilment and fruition when one is able to share what one has accomplished and what one feels about the music one plays.

Perhaps you should keep pursuing this.

Regards,

#1924752 - 07/09/12 06:19 PM Re: How to Start an Amateur Pianist Group or Piano Party Group [Re: A Rebours]
Piano Again Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Washington metro
It is very hard to start something like this and takes a lot of organization. I tried to get a small group together just to meet casually and play for each other, and there was not enough interest to keep it going. I did finally join the DC area group mentioned earlier in this thread (AMSF), which is great, but it's a notch more formal than what I was envisioning. And the problem there is that the recitals and other events fill up quickly, so you have to reserve a spot early. This shows how popular it is, though!

Bruce, I agree. I do think that most piano teachers don't really want to promote or encourage their adult students. So the students get the message that they aren't good enough to play for anyone, and it's a vicious cycle.

Check out my blog !

#1924755 - 07/09/12 06:29 PM Re: How to Start an Amateur Pianist Group or Piano Party Group [Re: A Rebours]
BruceD Offline

The group that I have been organizing and running for almost six years now, remains alive, well and active. While we occasionally only have seven or eight members at our monthly performances, we usually have from ten to twelve and sometimes as many as eighteen.

It doesn't require much on-going effort on my part except for
- arranging the venue (whose house this month?),
- sending out email reminders (everyone is on an email mailing list) which become more frequent as the date approaches, and
- printing out copies of the program.

The hardest part is most likely getting the group started, and that had already been done when I took it over.

Regards,

#1924830 - 07/09/12 09:48 PM Re: How to Start an Amateur Pianist Group or Piano Party Group [Re: A Rebours]
ec Offline

Loc: Long Beach, CA
The adult amateur adult piano group I started over two years ago is still going strong: http://www.meetup.com/Long-Beach-Piano-Meetup-Group/
We've met monthly (usually Sunday @ 3PM) since February, 2010, and recently convened for the 28th time wow. As you can see from the website, the AMSF was my inspiration, but our structure is far simpler--at a typical meeting, each of us performs for the assembled group (up to 10 minutes, unless a longer time is arranged in advance). We wind up with a buffet supper, and encourage everyone to stay awhile to eat and play some more (this is when some of the most inspired musicmaking can occur!) The overall performing level is advanced intermediate and upwards (our "Read more about us" statement is quite clear about this). Collaborations of all kinds occur spontaneously; we've have many four-hand performances as well as various combinations of piano with cello, violin, flute and voice.

We do discourage non-performing guests, although the occasional supportive spouse or SO is certainly welcome. We have had several teachers attend as one-time-only guests (including my own teacher, who holds regular performance classes for her adult students and heartily supports our group).

We use Meetup software to reach out to potential members(they often find us through Google), keep everyone informed about upcoming events and publish photos. Meetup also helps with planning: I can cap monthly attendance at 20-25, periodically weed the group of non-contributing members and ban the occasional bad apple frown

Like BruceD, I've observed that the group behaves like any social group--although we have over 100 members, the "core group" has remained under 30, and it's rare, given peoples' commitments and foibles, for more than 20 members to attend at one time. Some join and never show up, a few attend once and never return; some join, attend regularly for awhile and drift away; evn the core group has morphed significantly over the life of the group. And, yes, like most groups, we've had a few hissy fits and meltdowns and even a few internecine squabbles...

Most events have taken place in my home (with a cathedral ceiling that helps my Yamaha G-2 sound way better than it should), but we've held several special recital events in a nearby church with a mellow old Steinway, and a fellow member has hosted several times; we've also held a successful master class and plan to make that an annual event.

Good luck with your ongoing plans--I'd be happy to share anything else that's helpful smile

Chopin - Nocturne, Op.62, No. 2
Mazurka, Op. 41, No. 1 (C# minor)
Etude, Op. 25, No. 9
Polonaise, Op. 40, No. 2, C minor

#1925071 - 07/10/12 12:30 PM Re: How to Start an Amateur Pianist Group or Piano Party Group [Re: A Rebours]
RonaldSteinway Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Here in Chicago, we have our quarterly recital at the Piano Forte recital hall. Great place and excellent piano (Fazioli). In general, only 10 people performed. It is very hard to organize, requires numerous phone calls and e-mails. Adults are just not into this kind of thing. To me, it is a great opportunity to practice playing in front of people. But most adults do not see this way. I always look forward to attending this event. The next one will be this coming Sat. July 14 between 2 pm and 5 pm. If you are interested just go there and join the recital (8th floor). You need to contribute $10 , the money will be donated to Piano Forte Foundation.

#1925083 - 07/10/12 01:09 PM Re: How to Start an Amateur Pianist Group or Piano Party Group [Re: RonaldSteinway]
bennevis Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: RonaldSteinway
Adults are just not into this kind of thing. To me, it is a great opportunity to practice playing in front of people. But most adults do not see this way.

Unless one is talented and started performing in front of audiences (or taking part in competitions) when young, my impression is that most adult pianists don't enjoy playing for strangers or even acquaintances/friends in formal or semi-formal settings. Most don't even feel comfortable playing during dinner parties, when there's less scrutiny. You feel exposed and any tiny mistake or unevenness is magnified 100-fold in your mind. It's worse than having to stand up and give a formal speech at a wedding reception (at least, one can lubricate one's vocal cords - and inhibition - with the appropriate fermented drink then grin).

As an amateur pianist in early adulthood who'd never played in front of anyone other than family, teacher or examiner, I wouldn't even have dared to play a piano in a showroom, until circumstances forced me to do so, if I wanted to play the piano at all. It's immensely liberating once one has lost that self-consciousness, and don't give a dam* what others think about your playing, because you're enjoying yourself so much on a fine piano grin.

#1925100 - 07/10/12 02:01 PM Re: How to Start an Amateur Pianist Group or Piano Party Group [Re: bennevis]
RonaldSteinway Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: bennevis
Originally Posted By: RonaldSteinway
Adults are just not into this kind of thing. To me, it is a great opportunity to practice playing in front of people. But most adults do not see this way.

Unless one is talented and started performing in front of audiences (or taking part in competitions) when young, my impression is that most adult pianists don't enjoy playing for strangers or even acquaintances/friends in formal or semi-formal settings. Most don't even feel comfortable playing during dinner parties, when there's less scrutiny. You feel exposed and any tiny mistake or unevenness is magnified 100-fold in your mind. It's worse than having to stand up and give a formal speech at a wedding reception (at least, one can lubricate one's vocal cords - and inhibition - with the appropriate fermented drink then grin).

As an amateur pianist in early adulthood who'd never played in front of anyone other than family, teacher or examiner, I wouldn't even have dared to play a piano in a showroom, until circumstances forced me to do so, if I wanted to play the piano at all. It's immensely liberating once one has lost that self-consciousness, and don't give a dam* what others think about your playing, because you're enjoying yourself so much on a fine piano grin.

You could be right. I played in front of people since I was young. It could be the reason that I do not mind playing in front of people. In addition, I used to play in church.

#1925152 - 07/10/12 05:16 PM Re: How to Start an Amateur Pianist Group or Piano Party Group [Re: BruceD]
A Rebours Offline

The statement "...their adults don't like to play for others..." is really rather sad, don't you think? Practicing piano is a solitary pursuit, and I feel that it only reaches some kind of fulfilment and fruition when one is able to share what one has accomplished and what one feels about the music one plays.

Perhaps you should keep pursuing this.

Regards,

Hi, Bruce,

Yes, the solitary practice does get old and I believe in sharing one's playing with others. I will keep in touch with the ONE adult who responded by at least going to luch and talking about our piano pursuits.

A R

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
84 registered (Abby Pianoman, Alux, aesop, Allard, 36251, 22 invisible), 1134 Guests and 26 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75890 Members
42 Forums
156828 Topics
2304365 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Piano Tuning Database
by Sean Montgomery
08/21/14 05:35 AM
POSTING PICTURES
by bluebilly
08/21/14 03:19 AM
Goedkope Nike Free Run 2
by rstuvw780928
08/21/14 01:01 AM
Portable Power Supply for Digital Piano?
by piccione
08/20/14 11:45 PM
on revisiting Chopin Etudes
by Lingyis
08/20/14 11:45 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission