Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#1342205 - 01/06/10 10:13 AM Re: Scriabin Ninth Sonata [Re: Frozenicicles]
Mark_C Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
Originally Posted By: Frozenicicles
.....Did you work on the piece continuously for the 2 years or take breaks?....

I actually learned it in about 4 months and then started performing it, and people thought it was very good at that time, including my teachers. But it was only when I started preparing this video that I realized how much work it still needed! (And still did even after the "finished" product.)

Quote:
....I tend to get sick of pieces after working on them for a few months and usually abandon them after they're polished, then revive them if I need to....

Me too. And also, if I can't play something pretty well by then, it means either I never will or at least I need to take a break (probably a pretty long one) and then approach it somehow very differently. (I know that this wouldn't necessarily apply to most people.)

Piano & Music Acc. / Sheet Music

Sheet Music Plus Homepage
#1342347 - 01/06/10 01:24 PM Re: Scriabin Ninth Sonata [Re: Mark_C]
BruceD Offline

Loc: Victoria, BC
Originally Posted By: MarkCannon
[...]And also, if I can't play something pretty well by then, it means either I never will or at least I need to take a break (probably a pretty long one) and then approach it somehow very differently. (I know that this wouldn't necessarily apply to most people.)

Whether or not it applies to most people, I think that it's most frequently a good idea to drop a piece that you've worked to a reasonable performance level, let it "simmer on the artistic back burner" for a while and then return to it. I have found that I return not only mentally refreshed but often with quite different views about what the piece says and how I should interpret it. I like to think that this re-visiting provides better interpretations than previous ones.

Regards,

#1342940 - 01/07/10 02:38 AM Re: Scriabin Ninth Sonata [Re: Mark_C]
HappyApple Offline

Loc: Tennessee, USA
Originally Posted By: MarkCannon

I'm probably the most simple-minded, person on this forum, with the least formal musical training, education..

But that music is 'strange' to me. It makes me think of a twisted, roller-coaster relationship between a woman and her obsessive, possessive lover. The music is the 'I'm sorrys' followed by the 'I love you so much' followed by the 'Where have you been?' followed by 'If I can't have you...'blush

And 'NO' I am not and never have been in that type of relationship! LOL Just watch and read too many crime/dramas!

Your playing is extrordinary. And you play so, seemingly, effortlessy! And really, how do you memorize that much? Amazing! You have sparked a curiosity for 'Scriabin.' I will listen to more and try to develope an understanding, if not a taste, for his music! And Good Luck! I hope you win!

Edited by HappyApple (01/07/10 03:07 AM)

1970 Baldwin Hamilton

#1342960 - 01/07/10 04:13 AM Re: Scriabin Ninth Sonata [Re: HappyApple]
LaValse Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Mumbles, Wales
Hey HappyApple, wonderful stuff isn't it - the biography below is really interesting if your curiosity grows. You would be in good company. I was watching an Ashkenazy interview a while ago in which he describes his "Scriabin addiction" phase. Scriabin's earlier works are far more 'conventional' - which is the wonderful thing about him - you can join him on an extraordinary journey of compositional development...

http://www.amazon.com/New-Scriabin-Enigma-Answers/dp/0312569807

Personally I can't get enough Scriabin - love it all - not sure why - it just seems - right...

Edited by LaValse (01/07/10 04:19 AM)

#1343188 - 01/07/10 01:04 PM Re: Scriabin Ninth Sonata [Re: LaValse]
HappyApple Offline

Loc: Tennessee, USA
Thanks! I will check it out. I listened last night and today to some more Scriabin. Such a contrast in his styles. I listened to one of his early recordings (from a roll?) It was said to have been very close to the true sound of his actual playing. And it was amazing. It's like a rolling storm, but controlled. It stated that 'velocity' was very important to him. And then I saw a young, blind girl do a song. She did an excellent job also. His music has it's own distinct sound. And I may learn to enjoy it.

Now back to the original poster, MarkCannonYou are such a humble and talented man. Your humbleness/talent ratio is too high! I just want to make it clear that although the music is 'foreign' to me, your playing is clearly out-of-this-world awesome!

And just realized that competition is over. Congratuations on an amazing effort. Did the winner receive anything? A new piano?

Edited by HappyApple (01/07/10 01:26 PM)

1970 Baldwin Hamilton

#1343248 - 01/07/10 02:28 PM Re: Scriabin Ninth Sonata [Re: HappyApple]
Mark_C Offline

Hey, Happy Apple!!!!
Just saw this.....didn't know you did this post!
I just got done looking/listening to your video, and doing a comment on your channel and a post on your thread. And now I find this!!! What can I say, you made my day.

Originally Posted By: HappyApple
......that music is 'strange' to me.

It is strange! smile

Quote:
It makes me think of a twisted, roller-coaster relationship between a woman and her obsessive, possessive lover. The music is the 'I'm sorrys' followed by the 'I love you so much' followed by the 'Where have you been?' followed by 'If I can't have you...'blush

No wonder I like it. ha

Quote:
.....how do you memorize that much?

I have no idea how I ever memorized this. But really, look at how most people memorize songs so easily -- I mean the usual kind of songs, not "song" like how people say it on YouTube and stuff for any piece of music. smile How do we understand that? I don't really. It's just that the music and the words "click" for us in some kind of way, more than if we were just trying to memorize the lyrics; it's something about what the music does to us. And I think memorizing piano music isn't much of a leap from there, in terms of how it happens. We're just adding "motor memory" or muscle memory. But, I must admit that when it comes to music like this, I'm at a total loss to understand it. But I don't really understand how it really happens even just with songs either!

Thanks so much for listening and commenting. Much appreciated! And I'm glad this gets you interested in Scriabin. He's a hoot. smile
BTW.......I can't tell for sure from your post if you listened to Horowitz's recording or mine! If it was Horowitz, no wonder it was good! ha

#1343256 - 01/07/10 02:36 PM Re: Scriabin Ninth Sonata [Re: LaValse]
Mark_C Offline

Originally Posted By: LaValse
Hey HappyApple, wonderful stuff isn't it - the biography below is really interesting if your curiosity grows. You would be in good company.....Scriabin's earlier works are far more 'conventional' - which is the wonderful thing about him - you can join him on an extraordinary journey of compositional development...
http://www.amazon.com/New-Scriabin-Enigma-Answers/dp/0312569807
Personally I can't get enough Scriabin - love it all - not sure why - it just seems - right...

Absolutely right -- Scriabin went on quite a journey in his few years. His early music is "almost normal" smile .....quite a bit like Chopin and/or Brahms. Then pretty quick he starts carving out his own thing, and by the end it's like he's on another planet.

The author of that bio also wrote a long 2-volume bio a few years earlier. I'm not sure how this other one fits in -- maybe it's sort of a condensed version, or maybe it's a follow-up, addressing some issues that came about from the earlier work? I have the 2-volume thing......I'm tempted to get this one too, which I didn't know about. I'm glad you mentioned and linked to it.

#1343258 - 01/07/10 02:40 PM Re: Scriabin Ninth Sonata [Re: HappyApple]
Mark_C Offline

....And just realized that competition is over. Congratulations on an amazing effort. Did the winner receive anything? A new piano?

The winner got something that might sound like nothing but which she might consider better than a new piano: automatic acceptance to the next Van Cliburn amateur competition (which is next year). And, would you believe, she also got a piano out of the deal! So the story goes, she was assuming she would "lose," so before the result came out, her husband got her a new piano as a "consolation prize." ha

Please don't feel too sorry for us "losers." smile
We got a lot out of it too, including more attention and recognition on our work than we could have ever gotten otherwise. I'm very grateful for having been able to participate.

#1343283 - 01/07/10 03:20 PM Re: Scriabin Ninth Sonata [Re: Mark_C]
LaValse Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Mumbles, Wales
Hi Mark,

From the cover of the book I have - "All the material in book is new, incorporating recently released documents from the Soviet Union never before available in English..."

Sounds promising (the fact that it can't literally all be not notwithstanding :)).

#1343294 - 01/07/10 03:41 PM Re: Scriabin Ninth Sonata [Re: LaValse]
Mark_C Offline

Originally Posted By: LaValse
From the cover of the book I have - "All the material in book is new, incorporating recently released documents from the Soviet Union never before available in English..."
Sounds promising (the fact that it can't literally all be not notwithstanding :)).

Yes it does -- I've bookmarked the Amazon page and I'll be looking for a good copy of it.
Thank you!!!

BTW......you may be interested in this old review of the book:
Review
It's quite critical but doesn't take away from the importance of the book. And it seems clear that the reviewer has his own axes that he's grinding.....

#1344135 - 01/08/10 05:07 PM Re: Scriabin Ninth Sonata [Re: HappyApple]
electone2007 Offline

Loc: Philippines
MarkCannonYou are such a humble and talented man. Your humbleness/talent ratio is too high!

I agree! And I like the new term: humbleness:talent ratio, haha!

MarkCannon, you inspire me to play and practice more.

#1344170 - 01/08/10 06:09 PM Re: Scriabin Ninth Sonata [Re: electone2007]
Mark_C Offline

My goodness, you're embarrassing me. ha
(Thank you!)

I'm very glad that this makes some people feel interested in Scriabin, and to play and practice more. I think those are really the best compliments one can get.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

What's Hot!!
> Robin Spielberg Playing in Maine! <
-------------------
75,000 Members and Growing!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
150 registered (Akpianoman, Al LaPorte, Alex1, accordeur, 34 invisible), 1861 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75483 Members
42 Forums
156069 Topics
2291821 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kristian Bezuidenhout on Mozart and his piano music
by bennevis
Today at 05:05 PM
Hard Starting Intermediate
by frankeric
Today at 04:48 PM
And what about this one?
by leel
Today at 04:23 PM
No music rest for Roland stage pianos?
by Delphian2001
Today at 04:20 PM
Where is the new blood?
by Markarian
Today at 03:53 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission