Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 6 of 71 < 1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 70 71 >
Topic Options
#1366785 - 02/05/10 10:00 PM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: Sam Casey]
Jerry Groot RPT Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Grand Rapids Michigan
I know it's not funny Sam but, I am laughing. Been there done that too. Lost screws. Found them before from stepping on the tip of the screw head too. Then I had a nice sore spot in my foot along with some bleeding in an otherwise clean sock. Why does it always seem to land point UP? And if not that, it's gone completely?

You know what REALLY gets me? Customers, read up please. Keep your flopping, flying, dusting gizmos away from the piano when we're there and while it's apart PLEASE???? I know you mean well but, leave the dusting and cleaning to us? You cannot count the amount of times that I have had a customer attempt to dust their piano when I am not looking, or even when I am only to watch them even after I just finished saying WATCH OUT FOR THE SCREWS!!! Hit them with their dusting thingy and knock them some place where we can't find them. What's worse, is that 99% of the time, the customer never saw it in the first place and has no idea where it fell and still expects us to look for an hour until we find it again.

Another annoying thing is when a client walks in, sees a screw setting there, picks it up (if they don't accidentally drop it into the action first) and say, gee, what's this doing here?

Funny how well some things work with one less screw though isn't it?
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.

(ad PTG 568) Grand Action Regulation in 37 Steps
Grand Action Regulation in 37 Steps
#1366865 - 02/06/10 12:03 AM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: Sam Casey]
Dave Stahl Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Sam Casey
Murpheys law day. Wurlitzer Console pitch raise and sluggish wip and butt flanges. Has the long actions bracket screws with spacers. Snug coming out. CLP the action lube pedal pivots, reinstall action, tighten bracket screws from bass to treble and last one, nearly to the bottom and SNAP.

Every time I work on one of these I remind myself to bring my drill and screwdriver bit along next time...and then by the time I need it again, I've forgotten. I hate those screws. My wrist gets sore just thinking about them. And having one break off, what a joy!

Kawai RX-2 that I tune regularly (and played for a party around Christmas). Tuned and lubed the rep spring "hooks."

Checked out a new Vogel for a new client to make sure it wouldn't implode.

Pitch adjusted, tuned, straightened the key spacing, and squirted a couple of small bottles worth of Protek on a Howard spinet that had keys rubbing in all directions, lots of tight flanges, and all kinds of scraping, clicking and other ungodly noises emanating from within. Why were these pianos even built??? PSOs, for sure.

Kawai k-30, tuned and polished the case.

Yamaha u-1, gray market, tuned, got a nice piano valentine from the little girl who plays on it. Made my day.

Dave Stahl, RPT
Piano Technician's Guild
San Jose, CA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAniw3m7L2I
http://dstahlpiano.net

#1366881 - 02/06/10 12:19 AM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: Dave Stahl]
Sam Casey Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: SW Missouri
About a thousand years ago I was ushered into a Lake Shore Drive apartment that consisted of half the entire floor of the building. Deep, rich solid cherry paneling, recessed lighting before it became trendy, antiques and at the end of the room a 957 Acro, french provincial, matched burl. To get to the prize I had to cross the lovely room on SNOW WHITE carpet. I'm talking blinding, brilliant white carpet. Blue haired lady leads me to piano. I routinely pull the bottom board, especially on those old Acros to check for things amiss, like cracked bass bridges. The inside of this piano looked like a tomb with black stringy cobwebs and an inch of black sooty dust. When I pulled the bottom board back the old gal freaked at the dirt, grabbed a handy dust rag, dropped down on all arthritic fours and tossed the rag into the mess before I could stop her. It was like nuclear fallout across that carpet, raining little black dots that would explode into smudges if you touched them. The more she paniced the worse it got. When done the piano looked like belched forth coal dust in an arc across the carpet. Never ever saw her again after that service.

#1367076 - 02/06/10 10:50 AM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: Sam Casey]
Les Koltvedt Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canton, MI
Today is prep for SB party. We use a projector and display above the mantel. So I'm cleaning house...
PTG Associate

#1367371 - 02/06/10 06:05 PM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: Sam Casey]
Bob Offline
3000 Post Club Member

1. Pre Rental tuning at the store on a Yamaha U-3.
2. Kurtzman Gordon Laughead Spinet - Not a bad piano. The four wound string unisons in the lower tenor had their own separate bridge and capo, which made for a smooth temperament.
3. Schumann Baby Grand, Raised 1/4 note. It sounded like a Winter spinet on three legs, but the action was good. The customer bought it off of Craig's list.
4. Lester Betsy Ross spinet with rusty strings. Was 80 cents flat. Raised and tuned at 20 cents flat. The customer got it free from a neighbor's garage.
5. Concert tuning on a D. Someone raised it to A-442 last Sunday, but didn't quite make it there. The bass and treble were at 442, and the middle was 441. I lowered it all to 441. Taking it down to 440 would have made for an unstable tuning, given the time constraints.

#1367412 - 02/06/10 06:52 PM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: Bob]
Eric Gloo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Richfield Springs, New York
1. Kohler & Campbell spinet in a church for a performance tomorrow. They called me last Sunday. Piano was donated, and had never been tuned in its life until I started tuning it 2 years ago. Major pitch raise each time. Today was no different...1/2 step today to just under 440. I know it sounds better than when I started...it sounded pretty good once the sexton started up the vacuum cleaner, too...sigh

2. Caught up on phone calls. Now booked through the first week of March. Keep those snow storms away from central New York, please.
Richfield Springs, New York

#1367507 - 02/06/10 09:13 PM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: Eric Gloo]
wcctuner Offline

Loc: Princeton, NJ
2. Caught up on phone calls. Now booked through the first week of March. Keep those snow storms away from central New York, please.

Don't worry-they're all south of you. In southern New Jersey today-22 inches, 26 at Philly airport. Could be more Wednesday.

#1367526 - 02/06/10 09:40 PM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: wcctuner]
Dave Stahl Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Installed a new faucet in my kitchen, then went to tune a 1903 Bluthner over damper upright. The case is fantastic! A massive instrument with cast iron plate, beautiful tone, quite tunable. Not that much fun with the dampers where they are and all, but a gem. It took me 2 1/2 hours to pr and tune it. I got a couple of pics of the action that I'll try to post soon.

Dave Stahl, RPT
Piano Technician's Guild
San Jose, CA

#1367638 - 02/07/10 01:59 AM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: Dave Stahl]
Bill Bremmer RPT Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Madison, WI USA
A nice lady with a 7 foot Kawai RXA e-mailed me early today. This is a custom, hand crafted piano meant for performing artists either as a practice or warm up instrument before a performance or a performance in a small venue. I was going to take the day off but this one really intrigued me, so I did it. She lives just over 100 miles away in a very remote part of Southwest Wisconsin. She specifically asked for the original EBVT, saying that a local technician had recommended it based on her interaction with her.

I drove nearly 100 miles and following my navigator, tuned onto a gravel road. It was a windy road and the previous night's winds had blown snow across it in a few places. My car made it through the rough and icy spots, however. I had to take a few turns onto other gravel roads. A little less than a mile from my destination, two large, black dogs set out, chasing my car. While I knew they were only farm dogs with nothing else to do, it made me recall stories of Eastern Europe I had read of wolves coming out of the forest, frightening the horses pulling a carriage, causing it to upset and the wolves attacking and devouring the human occupants inside. I wondered briefly if I would be able to get out of my car when I arrived or if there would be a couple of Cujo type dogs slobbering on my passenger window, eager to tear me apart if I dared open the car door. It seems I outran the dogs, though.

I called the customer on my cellphone, saying that I had arrived. The entire area was blanketed in deep snow but she came up to greet me and led me down a path that had been cleared. Once inside the modest looking (from the exterior)home, I found a spacious, immaculate and beautiful living space adorned with original paintings. I immediately noticed that the air inside was warm and humid because my glasses instantly fogged up. She had a digital temperature and humidity gauge that read: 65º F. 55% Relative Humidity. She said that the home had been designed to hold the heat and moisture and it never dried out.

Before I did anything else, I cleaned the piano with the vacuum cleaner I brought with me down the hill. Although the piano appeared to be clean, she was surprised how much dust I got out of it.

I asked her to tell me what I could do for her. She said that she had never been satisfied with the way the piano sounded when she played the music she was studying. Two of the hammers had a slight click in them which I traced to slightly loose pinning, so I re-pinned them. She said the wound strings were too brilliant to which I agreed and voiced them with ordinary shoulder needling. The hammers did not need reshaping. The alignment was nearly flawless but I corrected the flaws that I saw. She said that when using the soft pedal, she was getting a strange sound. I traced that to the shift pedal allowing the hammers to just barely brush (without striking) the neighboring strings. A quarter counterclockwise turn to the right cheek block shift pedal stop screw solved that problem. Otherwise, the piano was in perfect order. She had purchased it not long ago from a dealer who had prepared it quite well.

She told me that the nearest technician (whom I know well but was still 40 miles away from her home) had recommended me and the original EBVT (not EBVT III). He had said that he could tune it but only using an electronically calculated program. He said that it was as good as he could do but he knew I could do something better. The piano was perfectly at A-440 and the unisons were quite good even though she had it tuned previously in September.

I set out constructing the temperament using direct interval readings for the pure 4ths and 5ths and finding the exact reading for the equal beating intervals I determined aurally and stored the data as I found it. As I progressed outside the temperament octave, I was surprised to find out how much stretch this piano could take. Most Kawai pianos I have known had low to only moderate inharmonicity at most but this one had as much as I had ever seen from any make or model of piano.

For me, this was not a problem but an advantage. I could disguise the tempered 5ths with the stretched octaves better than with most pianos. I took a good 2 hours and then some to create a custom program and tune the unisons as perfectly beatlessly as possible and make the whole unison hang on to the pitch for each note which I had determined. While I worked, the lady sat at an easel painting her newest creation.

When I finished, we heard the "pipe organ" effect as usual. Beyond that, however, I showed that I could play octaves and 5ths up and down the piano, let them ring and no beats could be heard, either from the purely tuned 5ths or the tempered ones. I showed her how with the tempered 5ths, I could cancel their beats by the way I stretched the octaves. I showed her the canceling effect in the RBIs that made chords sound purer than they really were. I played through the cycle of 5ths and demonstrated the distinct "color" each tonality has but still, nothing sounded too harsh or out of tune, even among the remote keys.

She asked about the minor keys and E-flat minor in particular. I told her immediately that with any well-temperament, that was the darkest, most disturbing sound, very moody. I played the E-flat minor and she beamed with delight! It seemed rather unusual to me that she would find such joy in that very dark and moody sound. She said, "That is exactly the sound I have been looking for!"

I put the piano back together then asked her if she would like to play something for me. She immediately replied, "Yes!" She handed me the score to a Fauré Nocturne in the key of E-flat minor (6 flats). She played from memory as I watched the score. She reached a moment in the piece where she applied the soft pedal and then slowed the tempo and upon a chord marked as broken (not all keys played at once but in rapid succession and then held with the damper pedal). She played that chord extremely softly as it was indicated, pianissimo.

"Yes, yes, YES"!, she exclaimed, this is exactly what I have been looking for!" "Everything sounds so pure and clean and now I can play that passage more softly than I ever dared to before and yet it speaks to me just the way I imagined it should!" (Are you reading this, Piqué?) She played it again and then tears flowed from her eyes. "Thank you!", she exclaimed. Her husband had been listening and remarked, "I have never heard that piano express so much emotion before."

I replied that well-temperament does indeed restore the emotion to music that ET takes away. It provides for happier sounds as well a sadder sounds. It provides for more consonance when that is desired and sharper, more incisive dissonance when that is the goal. I added, "In ET, all music is put on Prozac" to which they both laughed.

The lady then asked what my fee would be and I quoted a price for the long trip and the time I had spent. She rounded that off and doubled it. I would say it was worth my time on a Saturday.

#1367639 - 02/07/10 02:08 AM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: Bill Bremmer RPT]
Sam Casey Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I set up a weeks worth of appointments, (30 at the moment) and got a warrenty adjustment on the Goodyears for my RAV. (Goodyear Fortera Triple Tread with tread seperation after 30K). Went home, did a bit more office work, played a video game, had supper and watched the tube with the wife. Peaceful, easy feelin....

#1368472 - 02/08/10 08:38 AM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: Sam Casey]
Jerry Groot RPT Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Today? ZERO. Me home sick today. Had 4 tunings scheduled. 3 homes, 1 church... Murphys Law strikes again.
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.

#1368480 - 02/08/10 08:53 AM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: Jerry Groot RPT]
Les Koltvedt Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Jerry, with our "big storm" coming, you might be home a few days. Hope your feeling better soon.
PTG Associate

#1368488 - 02/08/10 09:00 AM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: Les Koltvedt]
Jerry Groot RPT Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Thanks Monster.

What? A storm? Oh goody..... Just looked at the national weather service. Not looking good for us for the next few days. Play time? We get to play?
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.

#1368516 - 02/08/10 09:33 AM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: Jerry Groot RPT]
Les Koltvedt Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Play time?? more than I want. Making some tools today and mating hammers to strings. Going to fix the leaky bathroom faucet. Waiting for my casters from the platters (sp?), they said they'd be done a week 1/2 ago...those guys are the worst, but when they have your stuff...
PTG Associate

#1368530 - 02/08/10 09:56 AM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: Les Koltvedt]
Dave Stahl Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Went for a 3 hour bike ride up to the local summit at 3,000 feet. Got a little chilly, but nothing like you folks in the frozen northland. It's pretty funny to hear Californians complain about the weather.

Removed the draconian flow restricter from my newly installed kitchen faucet, which was at a trickle. Rewired the living rooms stereo speakers.

Tuned, and touched up regulation and voicing on my piano. Jammed on a freshly tuned piano with my guitar playing friend Robert, AKA Martini Max. Sweet!

Dave Stahl, RPT
Piano Technician's Guild
San Jose, CA

#1368847 - 02/08/10 06:14 PM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: Dave Stahl]
Sam Casey Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Only did 3 today but all were pitch raises. 1st was a little church circa 1850 abandoned by the county and donated to a small group who promised to keep up the old cemetary in exhange for the old building. Clapboard, outhouse, wood stove. Called a few weeks ago with Kimball upright and Adam Schaff upright, both donated and hauled to church in a horse trailer. I'm to pick. Both were 1920. Best of the worst was the Kimball, 48 inch. Was able to bring it up to pitch, reglue a split key and align some dampers. Gospel picking and singing tonite!

Next Wurlitzer spinet, CLP butts, 1/2 step flat, ease front rail bushings, etc.
Samick studio with back checks tapping fallboard, 1/2 step flat. Owner was rabid, foaming political "independent." Brief, but interesting conversation...

#1368897 - 02/08/10 07:12 PM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: Sam Casey]
Terry Benge Offline

Loc: Southeastern Ky
Picked up action from a Schumman console, 15 broken damper springs and 20-25 broken hammer butt flange cords.
Had a no show at a church to be let in.
Had oil changed in car and set up more appointments.
Expecting 2-4 inches of snow next 24 hours.

#1368927 - 02/08/10 07:47 PM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: Terry Benge]
Larry Buck Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lowell MA
Tuned for;

http://www.shenyunperformingarts.org/

This weekend on Sat and Sunday.

Yamaha CFIII about 4 years old.

Stayed for the Show on Sunday with my 18 year old son and his Grand Mother (my mother)

If anyone has the opportunity to see or otherwise be involved with this show.

Do it.

It is a fabulous show and a truly great cast of people.

E. J. Buck & Sons
Lowell MA 01852
978 458 8688
www.ejbuckpiano.com
facebook.com/E. J. Buck & Sons Performances

#1368985 - 02/08/10 08:54 PM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: Larry Buck]
Silverwood Pianos Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver B. C. Canada

Totally sunny here all day...so......I played hooky....and went to the courts.....shhhhh

http://www.facebook.com/SilverwoodPianosDotCom
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."

#1369069 - 02/08/10 10:29 PM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: Silverwood Pianos]
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
Today I have been working on the band library, giving me a real appreciation for librarians for large ensembles.

Yesterday we went to the Pacific Flyway Festival, and we were able to go to St. Peter's Chapel at Mare Island, the largest collection of Tiffany windows west of the Mississippi. I saw a reversal of symbols on the way out there: A dove attacking a hawk!

#1369088 - 02/08/10 11:05 PM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: Silverwood Pianos]
Rod Verhnjak Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver B.C. Canada
Originally Posted By: Silverwood Pianos

Totally sunny here all day...so......I played hooky....and went to the courts.....shhhhh

Now I know why my phones rang twice as much today. grin

Exclusive Dealer For Charles R. Walter Pianos
www.pianoman.ca
Verhnjak Pianos Facebook

#1369094 - 02/08/10 11:18 PM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: Larry Buck]
Dave Stahl Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Larry Buck
Tuned for;

http://www.shenyunperformingarts.org/

This weekend on Sat and Sunday.

Yamaha CFIII about 4 years old.

Stayed for the Show on Sunday with my 18 year old son and his Grand Mother (my mother)

If anyone has the opportunity to see or otherwise be involved with this show.

Do it.

It is a fabulous show and a truly great cast of people.

I tuned a Hamburg Steinway 4 times for this troupe when they were in San Jose last year. I hope I get the gig again when they're in town.

Pretty amazing group of performers, very interesting to watch the dancers practice during the tuning. The ochestra, particularly the drums, made me glad I had my ETD with me.

Dave Stahl, RPT
Piano Technician's Guild
San Jose, CA

#1369104 - 02/08/10 11:37 PM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: Dave Stahl]
Bill Bremmer RPT Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Madison, WI USA
I got some feedback via e-mail from my Saturday job:

Date: Monday, February 8, 2010 6:32 PM
To: billbremmerrpt
Subject: Tuning update
Size: 5 KB
Hi Bill -
Thank you so much again. I hope that your trip home was uneventful in a good way.

I really like the sound of the piano and appreciate the significance of your ability to optimize the piano's unique qualities. It is remarkable that your tuning seems to naturally resolve my specific concerns: it really opened up the 3rd octave from sounding indistinct and nasally, and made the 4th octave a stronger, more pleasing foundation for the treble. The fifth octave is still sweet and the 6th octave sings out more. The voicing balanced the dynamic of the bass and the 3rd octave: overall I feel that the tone of the entire piano is more balanced with a smoother transition from one octave to the next.
Re the soft pedal adjustment: I'm still figuring out what that does. The pedal effect is now pretty subtle, so I may want to split the difference.

It's really a pleasure to work with you: it seems like the piano needs to be tuned every 4 months, so I will see you at least by June.

Take care,
Laura

All of this using the original EBVT and tempered octaves. No two octave sizes the same as another. Unequal temperament. She was afraid to use the soft pedal only because it over shifted and the hammers were slightly brushing neighboring strings, creating an odd effect. Now, she has to learn to use it all over again. I will gladly drive over 100 miles to serve this customer whenever she wants me, as long as I can fit it into my schedule.

#1369122 - 02/09/10 12:00 AM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: Bill Bremmer RPT]
RPD Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Kalamazoo Michigan
Visited an old friend/client, and found her piano to be heavily smelling of smoke...but otherwise in good shape after 8 years!...house fire...gave some free advice, and promised her it'll air out, eventually.

Tuned 5 today, and drove 135 miles round trip. Sold a full Dampp Chaser system for a Yamaha C2 pitched at -24C overall. To get to this piano, I climbed into a house elevator with my new client, and shot up 3 floors to an unbelievable room overlooking Lake Michigan.

Did a Service Bond tuning for our local Yamaha dealer in another town.

Listened to some loud music while in the car. Headphones for ear protection in homes, and CD's cranked in the car. Makes sense to me!

Got a total-gas-happily flipped out-smile because of my new netbook with Tune-Lab loaded on it...did ALL my updates in the field and arrived home to zero work at the home computer as a result.

Noticed that TuneLab has Bill Bremmer tunings pre-loaded on it. Considered trying it but got scared I'll like it and then Bill would be right. No, I decide I can't allow this. (just kidding Bill, I'll give it a whirl once I know what I'm doing with the new program!)

Life is good.

RPD
Piano-Tuner-Rebuilder/Musician www.actionpianoservice.com

#1369124 - 02/09/10 12:01 AM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: RPD]
Supernick5000 Offline

Loc: Cleveland, OH
I'm not a tech, but I absolutely love love reading this thread!!! Sometimes It makes me wanna learn the trade and become a tech myself. I hope this one just keeps running.

#1369160 - 02/09/10 01:19 AM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: Supernick5000]
Peter Sumner- Piano Technician Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: San Francisco
Interesting thread.....
Had half a relaxing day...with a bit of work.
Just got back from a week in Sitka AK where I serviced the Steinway D they bought last year and then was on duty for the Sitka Jazz Festival....
While I was there I did a couple of private calls and some outreach in two of the community's schools....Taking an upright apart, throwing (gently) the keys to the kids and then pretending not to know how to put them back in....got some great questions....90 5 and 6 year olds....

Had the privilege of presenting 2 clinics at the Jazz Festival on Saturday entitled 'The innermost workings of the Steinway Grand Piano'...again, some great questions and a lot of pride as the funding for this piano was raised from public donations in this community of less than 9,000 folks.

I'm happy to report that the piano sang and soared under the expert hands of Marco Diaz, pianist with the John Santos Sextet...one of the headline acts who had made the long trip, like me, from the Bay Area....An amazing festival...I hope I get the chance to go back!

#1369448 - 02/09/10 12:14 PM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: Peter Sumner- Piano Technician]
Phil D Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: London, England
Tuned an Evestaff Miniroyal. First time I've been presented with a short piano and felt confident approaching it. Got the temperament right after half an hour, was very careful checking 5ths, 12ths and 17ths to balance the octaves and achieve a good stretch. The top and bottom are now perfectly balanced, with nice progression all the way up for all the intervals. The customer watched me all the way through and I explained what I needed to be doing, and about inharmonicity. Very satisfied customer at the end! A very pleasing job.

#1369576 - 02/09/10 03:21 PM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: Phil D]
Jerry Groot RPT Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Zero again for me today. Home sick still.
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.

#1369582 - 02/09/10 03:31 PM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: Jerry Groot RPT]
Les Koltvedt Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Been aligning strings and hammers, tweaking dampers, getting ready to level strings.

Jerry, gettin' much snow? been snowing all day here, only about 4-5" so far.

So what heck do you have anyway? That old eye and a-- h--- problem? can't see gettin your a-- out of bed to go to work?...jk

Hope your over it soon.

Les
PTG Associate

#1369590 - 02/09/10 03:42 PM Re: So, what did you do today? [Re: Les Koltvedt]
Jerry Groot RPT Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Got a recurrence of bronchitis and a fever with coughing from my toes on up. Doc says lots of that going around. It's a relapse of what people had earlier. Seems weird to me. Never heard of that one before. Always thought once you had it, you were free for the year and if you caught something else, it was a new bug. Guess not.

Yeah, snowing quite a bit here too. I hear the roads are slushy and not good driving. I get to stay home, post here and annoy you people instead.
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.

Page 6 of 71 < 1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 70 71 >

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
help with finger numbers in this piece...
by PianoKimmy
Today at 05:35 AM
Most Difficult?
by SiFi
Today at 01:21 AM
What is most common size wire to break?
by Ed McMorrow, RPT
Today at 12:19 AM
Will this Piano Room have good Acoustics?
by flamenco88
Yesterday at 10:59 PM
Proud new owner of a Yamaha P22
by amanda416
Yesterday at 09:04 PM
Who's Online
94 registered (3times2, Abby Pianoman, Al LaPorte, AliAlkhiro, alexbergauer, 23 invisible), 1040 Guests and 23 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76237 Members
42 Forums
157598 Topics
2314901 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission