2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
61 members (36251, 20/20 Vision, anotherscott, bcalvanese, 1957, beeboss, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, 10 invisible), 1,463 guests, and 300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
N
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
N
The first Chicago Amateur Piano Competition will be held next year from June 24 – June 27, 2010 (Thursday through Sunday). Applications are now being accepted from amateur pianists who pursue piano playing through love of the instrument and its repertoire, rather than as a professional occupation or for financial benefit. Competitors are expected to be at least 30 years of age at the time of the competition, and may be neither a faculty member at a music school nor a student pursuing a degree in piano performance.

Competitors are expected to perform up to 10 minutes of solo repertoire in the first round, up to 20 minutes in the semi-final round, and from 20 – 30 minutes for the five competitors who reach the final round. There are no restrictions on the type of repertoire that may be performed, and competitors may perform more than one selection in any round, as long as no selection is repeated in later rounds. Individual movements from larger works may be performed, and competitors need not perform from memory.

Applications must be accompanied by a ten minute CD or DVD recently recorded and featuring two or more selections representing different musical styles and technical demands.

Competitors who do not advance to the next rounds will be given an opportunity, if they wish, to perform their prepared programs publicly during the competition, which will also feature a master class and lectures.

Up to eight cash prizes will be awarded. The first prize winner will receive $1,000 and the opportunity to perform a recital hosted by the PianoForte Foundation.

The competition will take place at the Sherwood Conservatory of Columbia College, located in downtown Chicago. Contestants will have access to practice pianos at Sherwood Conservatory. During the competition, the piano showrooms of PianoForte Chicago, located a few blocks from Sherwood Conservatory, will be open to competitors and the public. Anyone who wishes may sign up for 30 minutes of private practice in any of three showrooms featuring Schimmel, Grotrian, Wendl & Lung, and Steinway grand pianos, plus a selection of Fazioli pianos.

If you are interested in competing, or simply interested in attending the competition as an audience member, visit the website of the Chicago Amateur Piano Competition:

http://chicagopianocompetition.org/

Last edited by Numerian; 11/03/09 09:06 PM.

Fazioli 228.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I might do it. It sounds good.
And by the way.....although I'm not one of those who wants to be really severe on the definition of "amateur," I think it's very good that there are these restrictions:

-- "30 years or older" -- IMO this is perhaps the most important detail of all. I don't think the boundary necessarily needs to be quite 30 -- I would be happy with something like 28 -- but I think it's absurd to allow 18 year olds (as the Paris competition does) or 21 year olds (as some others do) into amateurs competitions. One way to see it is, how can someone really be considered an "amateur" musician who isn't old enough to have become a "professional" at anything yet? Many of the very young contestants at amateur competitions have simply been young people who were on their way to becoming professionals.

-- "Must not be faculty members at a college/conservatory level music department" -- This might perhaps seem so obvious that it need not be stated, but astonishingly, at least one amateur competition has felt this wasn't an important restriction.

-- "Must not be actively pursuing a degree in piano performance" -- This overlaps with the minimum-age thing (above) and is an important addition to it.

In short: GOOD JOB on the requirements. I had been thinking of "taking the year off" but this makes me want to come to the Chicago competition.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
In order to be a real amateur competition, I really think that a person with piano performance degree should not be allowed to compete. However, the quality of the competition may suffer if the organizers do not allow those semi professional pianists. More over, it is more fun to compete against semi professional pianists than to compete against real amateurs.

Last edited by RonaldSteinway; 01/08/10 11:52 PM.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
What about a time restriction on the Music degree. Say degree must not be in the last 15 years, or 35 years ?? And what about a distinction between an Undergraduate and Graduate degree.

Musica 71
N
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
N
The first deadline for applications to the Chicago Amateur Piano Competition is fast approaching.

March 1st is the deadline for applications under the $100 fee schedule. After that, applications will cost $125.

Quite a number of applications have already been submitted, but there is still room for other amateurs wishing to perform publicly as well as compete for prizes. The June 24-27 competition will also feature performances by professionals, as well as an opportunity for the general public to enjoy some first-rate music making. Also, anyone in attendance can sign up for 30 minutes of private practice on any number of superb concert pianos, such as Fazioli, Schimmel, Steinway, and Grotrian.

Call 312-291-0291 for more information, or check the competition website at
http://chicagopianocompetition.org/

Fazioli 228.
B
Bex Offline
B
So who is doing this piano competition? I just stumbled on it today!

On the piano stand:
Widmung
Partita in c minor
Jardins sous la pluie
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
61 contestants. WOW!!! BIG TIME!

There are quite a few major contenders on the list.

Where do you see the list?

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Didn't you get the Email from the competition?

Yes I did, but I didn't notice any list.
I even looked a second time after I saw your post.
Better go look a 3rd time... smile .....no, still don't see anything.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Go to the competition website, click on "For Competitors". The password is given to you in the Email. smile

I know!!! I did that!
But no list.

(edit: Oh I see......I needed to click "Schedule."
Thanks!!!)

Last edited by Mark_C; 04/12/10 08:02 PM.

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission