Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1339895 - 01/03/10 02:00 PM Clair de Lune - Debussy
phphantomz101 Offline

Loc: Chicago
Hi all,

Awhile back, I decided to record one of my takes of Clair de Lune since I had access to one of the better pianos that day. The sound quality might be a little iffy because I recorded it on a digital camera, but I'd like still like share it with you all regardless. All comments are appreciated!

Clair de Lune (it's best to listen in HQ)

- phphantomz101

Piano & Music Acc. / Sheet Music

Sheet Music Plus Homepage
#1339997 - 01/03/10 04:26 PM Re: Clair de Lune - Debussy [Re: phphantomz101]
BruceD Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Victoria, BC
I didn't realize I was going to go on at such length pointing out details; I hope you will profit from them - at least the objective ones. You can certainly differ, of course, about the more subjective comments.

I noticed that several times you don't observe the correct timing for the 'duplets' in this piece; you too often rush through them.

Measure 8 : the last duplet is played too quickly, thus shortening the length of that measure.

Measure 13 : the same thing on the duplets in this measure; they are played too quickly.

Measure 17, 22 : Bring out the top line a little more.

Measure 25, 26 : Is there a reason that you play the broken chord differently from what is marked in the score? You play them as if each one was a single broken chord from bottom to top, yet in the score they are marked as broken in each hand which suggests that each hand should start its chord together with the other hand. It seems to me that, in contrast to the others, the last broken chord of measure 26 is too slow. Yes, it can be slower than the others, but that slow?

Measure 30 : Again, the duplet (beats 7, 8, and 9) are much too fast. Try practicing this slowly, keeping the left hand steady, and you'll see how much faster you are playing these last three beats.

All the way through this section, measures 27 through 36, I believe you need not only to bring out the top line much more but also to subdue the left hand considerably. The melody line needs to "sing" and I'm hearing too much of the left hand at the expense of the right. This section starts pp, and at measure 32 is still only p; the real cresc. isn't marked until measure 35. While it is un poco piu mosso, it's only un poco - a little bit - faster.

Measure 39 : I think it would be much more effective if you took a bit of a rit. at the end of this measure, give those F-sharp octaves something to say, rather than just quickly glossing over them.

Measure 41 : Similarly, an agogic accent on the first RH chord of measure 41 would help, and let the tempo relax a little; I feel you are rushing through this measure, arguably the climax of the piece; it should feel like the climax. Once again, keep the LH steady so that the RH duplet falls into place against the left and is not rushed.

Measure 43 : Calmato and pp. You need to make a very distinct dim. in measure 42 so that measure 43 really does come across as marked pianissimo and calm.

Measure 42 and following : I know I'm repeating myself, but I feel, once again, that I need to hear more top of the right hand and less left hand. Let the left hand just "murmur" gently in the background so that you can maintain the calm pianissimo Debussy asks for.

Measure 47, 48 : Bring out the "dialogue" between the bass melody line in the left hand and the soprano melody line in the right, and let the inner sixteenths barely "murmur".

Measures 51-57, but particularly 53, 54, 55, 56 : bring out the descending bass line (as it is marked) F, E-flat, D-flat, C as a counter-melody to the right hand.

Measure 58 : timing of the duplet in the left hand.

Measures 66 to end : pp morendo jusqu'à la fin. Very softly and dying away to the end. Don't rush this; really take your time - but in a measured way - as both the volume and tempo die away.

You certainly have no trouble with the notes of this lovely piece, but I think your performance would be improved if you relaxed a little more, particularly the middle section. Even though the middle section is faster and builds to a climax, within the context of the entire piece it should not sound rushed, harried, or intense, in my view.

You are well on your way, I think, to playing this quite well. While you needn't agree with my comments, I hope that some of them will seem pertinent and will help you give a more polished performance.

Thank you for sharing.

Regards,

#1339999 - 01/03/10 04:29 PM Re: Clair de Lune - Debussy [Re: BruceD]
Mark_C Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
Great post, Bruce -- IMO that kind of feedback is this site at its best.

#1344357 - 01/08/10 10:41 PM Re: Clair de Lune - Debussy [Re: Mark_C]
HappyApple Offline

Loc: Tennessee, USA
Very pretty! And I'm sure whatever was suggested in earlier post will be no problem for you. I wish I could play half as well as you.

PS I love 'the lune tune'! blush

Edited by HappyApple (01/08/10 10:41 PM)

1970 Baldwin Hamilton

#1344633 - 01/09/10 10:24 AM Re: Clair de Lune - Debussy [Re: BruceD]
phphantomz101 Offline

Loc: Chicago
Wow, I certainly wasn't expecting to garner a response that in depth but I'll definitely be able to use much of what you've observed.;I agree with many of your observations, especially the about the duples throughout the piece and the sequence in measure 41 (those are two of main things i've been working to iron out/improve as well as the voicing overall). Originally, before I started working on this with my teacher, I had been playing the chords in measures 25 and 26 as one, instead of as a single broken chord from bottom to top. However, after I had brought this to him, I noticed that whenever he played that particular section that he played them as such so I decided to do so as well (maybe it's a stylistic thing?). And of course, one thing that any musician, amateur or professional, needs to learn is how to relax. As I said before, I'll be able to use much of your observations, and it will most certainly help me maximize this piece.

Thanks for your time (and ears).

- phphantomz101

What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
102 registered (bennevis, anotherscott, angelsong, 36251, 27 invisible), 1367 Guests and 36 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74223 Members
42 Forums
153540 Topics
2250150 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Piano song requests?
by kent2012
23 minutes 26 seconds ago
Requests?
by kent2012
36 minutes 22 seconds ago
2014 Bradshaw and Buono Piano Competition
by hsheck
Today at 01:21 AM
What is the strangest thing you have found inside a piano?
by That Tooner
Yesterday at 11:18 PM
Kawai vs Ritmuller
by cromax
Yesterday at 11:08 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission