2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
36 members (Animisha, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, admodios, 9 invisible), 1,129 guests, and 320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
EP Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Hi,
Has anyone seen or had any experience with the grand piano muffler (grandpianomuffler.com) that Steven James has developed? I know he had a booth at the California State PTG conference, and has some instructional videos on his website.
Any opinions about this? I'm looking for a simple way to make a quiet practice mode for a grand piano, that won't involve any extensive modification to the piano or the action regulation.
Thanks.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I had a chance to see the product and talk with Steven at the Conference in Burbank. It worked quite well but has a tendency to 'click' a little. I think with a bit of fine tuning that could be remedied. I have a Kawai grand coming in the shop today that we will be prepping for resale. I'm planning on installing a mute on it. I'll keep you all posted.

Ryan Sowers,
Pianova Piano Service
Olympia, WA
www.pianova.net
EP Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Thanks, Ryan.
I'll be interested to hear how it goes.
When you say it clicked, is that while playing? Do you know what was causing it?

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I was talking with Steve at the show, and brainstormed a little modification which would prevent the click of the brass rods in their guides.

I think it is a good idea, one which perhaps can be developed a bit further yet. I am not sure about the size of the market and therefore the long-term feasibility of the product. We shall see. Power to the developer for moving ahead on it anyway - I wish him success.

JG
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by EP
Thanks, Ryan.
I'll be interested to hear how it goes.
When you say it clicked, is that while playing? Do you know what was causing it?

Yes, the slight clicking occurs when playing with the mute in the on position.

Jurgen described it accurately. The mute is mounted on brass glides that slide in and out of a brass tube. Some sort of heavy lubricant might eliminate the clicking. My Kawai Grand arrived today so I'll check into ordering the mute. I think its a very useful feature. When I had an upright with a practice mute I used it quite a bit since I live in a small house and have kids that have to get to bed. When I moved a grand into the living room I found that I actually played less because I worried about bothering my family. I hope this mute will get me playing more.

Ryan Sowers,
Pianova Piano Service
Olympia, WA
www.pianova.net
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Lubricants such as a heavy oil or crease will attract dust and turn into sludge. I suggested a more elegant solution to Steve, he was going to look into it... You can PM me on that, Ry.

JG
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Some vital sludge may be just the thing to stop the clicking! Don't underestimate the usefulness of high-quality sludge.

Ryan Sowers,
Pianova Piano Service
Olympia, WA
www.pianova.net
M
M
Re-surrecting this thread as I'm wondering if anyone has had an opportunity to install one of these in a grand piano and could comment on how well they work.

It's a secondary issue, but I'm looking into a small grand piano for our house, and would like to be able to quietly play at night after the little ones have gone to sleep. A couple local technicians I've spoken to in the course of the search were unaware of any way to accomplish this, while a couple others have stated that such a mechanism exists and would run anywhere from $100-300 to install (they did not mention the grandpianomuffler specifically, however).

J
JBE Offline
J
I have yet to install one, but I will say that I was impressed with the one that I saw at the 2008 conference.

I say, go for it. Have one installed. Let us know how you like it.

Last edited by byronje3; 01/10/10 06:46 PM.

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,166
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission