Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
124 registered (AnneJ, accordeur, ajames, acollins, AndyJoe, 31 invisible), 1834 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 114 of 227 < 1 2 ... 112 113 114 115 116 ... 226 227 >
Topic Options
#1772245 - 10/17/11 02:15 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Intermediate/Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
knotty Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Bethesda, MD (Washington D.C)
Originally Posted By: jazzwee
Scott, I haven't read it completely but just note that I'm not playing Cm7 on the 1st chord. I'm play C maj/min. So I am playing a B natural. That's also the chord I'm playing on the LH.

you mean you play a C-6?
Scott's talking about the C7 in the major 2-5

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#1772253 - 10/17/11 02:20 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Intermediate/Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
knotty Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Scott,
I agree with Chris on the volume of the piano.
Anyway you can record this on an acoustic? Would sound better for a demo.
Or plug your keyboard in the mixer directly and mix afterwards. It's a pretty cheap option. Maybe you can borrow a zoom 4 some somebody? That thing is killer for demos. With 4 mics, you can get something really decent very cheap.

#1772254 - 10/17/11 02:21 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Intermediate/Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: So. California
Knotty - No, I'm not playing C-6. I'm actually playing Cmaj/min. B natural is in the melody. I'm talking about the 1st chord.

EDIT -- oh you mean the wrong note? I haven't looked/listened yet but I just want to be clear on what chord I'm playing on the 1st chord (may not have anything to do with anything...).

Edited by jazzwee (10/17/11 02:23 PM)

#1772272 - 10/17/11 02:41 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Intermediate/Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

That note you're referring to near the beginning is an actual slip...I don't count that since it wasn't intentional.

#1772273 - 10/17/11 02:44 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Intermediate/Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
knotty Offline
2000 Post Club Member

>> Cmaj/min.
I'm not familiar with this.
I know the other way around
Cmin/Maj7 which is equivalent to Cm6 and would be
C Eb G A or C Eb G B

#1772277 - 10/17/11 03:02 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Intermediate/Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
Scott Coletta Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Chicago
Thanks everyone for your input about the mix on the demo cuts. I agree that it's not sounding too good. I'm really only marginally concerned about that, but I guess it would be a good idea to talk with the others in the trio and see if we can try to get some better equipment from somewhere.

Jazzwee, the Cm7 or C-Maj7 in the first bar doesn't affect anything I was suggesting. In that case, you can play lines suggesting both harmonies anyway. And with regards to the unintentional slip, I think my point is that you want to try to avoid those things by really studying how you put together lines, instead of trying to always create them on the spot. Doing things like writing out lines over changes to practice, or transcribing others, leads to clearer thinking and control and prevents those kinds of slip ups.

#1772287 - 10/17/11 03:17 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Intermediate/Advanced Players [Re: knotty]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: knotty
>> Cmaj/min.
I'm not familiar with this.
I know the other way around
Cmin/Maj7 which is equivalent to Cm6 and would be
C Eb G A or C Eb G B

LOL. Yeah the other way around. I was looking for C-(triangle)7.

Anyway, to me Cm6 is not the same as Cmin/maj7.

Cm6 is tonicized -- sure. But the Min/Maj has a specific augmented triad that has a unique sound. Now Cm6, I'm sure can be subbed here but since the melody calls specifically for min/maj, that's what I use.

#1772296 - 10/17/11 03:27 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Intermediate/Advanced Players [Re: Scott Coletta]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Scott Coletta

Jazzwee, the Cm7 or C-Maj7 in the first bar doesn't affect anything I was suggesting. In that case, you can play lines suggesting both harmonies anyway. And with regards to the unintentional slip, I think my point is that you want to try to avoid those things by really studying how you put together lines, instead of trying to always create them on the spot. Doing things like writing out lines over changes to practice, or transcribing others, leads to clearer thinking and control and prevents those kinds of slip ups.

I hear you. I'm from a different school though. I never work out lines in advance and I know you do because I can tell from your playing that everything is thought out.

Instead I try to have my ear react to the moment. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. The slip here though is just technical and not related to the ear. I wasn't going to bother re-recording it since I thought it was clearly unintended (especially on a downbeat).

I believe I mentioned this earlier. The approach that I've been using lately is to listen to the prior line and then do some sort of call and response to it and recall part of the motif.

Surprisingly, I did it a lot on Solar though I wasn't consciously planning it. So perhaps the practice is working.

I think it is a good idea to sit down and work out melodic concepts in advance on every tune. But that's a lot of work. I've done it on some like Stella (maybe that's why it comes easier on that tune).

In the meantime, I feel like my immediate problem areas are more rhythmically related. To me, it exposes my amatuerish sound more than the notes.

I really am so gratified that you spent so much time analyzing what I played. I saw some other wrong notes in there that sounded like a rhythmic displacement (unintentional) -- like I was behind the bar line. I'm going to look at it some more. THANK YOU SCOTT!

BTW - I'm envious of how quickly you guys can transcribe and notate. That would have taken me a LONG time.

#1772375 - 10/17/11 05:17 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Intermediate/Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
chrisbell Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Stockholm, Sweden
. . . . .Now Cm6, I'm sure can be subbed here but since the melody calls specifically for min/maj, that's what I use.

I've come to prefer - and use - a Cm6/9 in the LH, but play the maj7 in the RH.

I never play anything the same way once.

https://soundcloud.com/chrisb/sets
https://www.youtube.com/user/djboing/videos

#1772379 - 10/17/11 05:21 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Intermediate/Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
chrisbell Offline
1000 Post Club Member

BTW - I'm envious of how quickly you guys can transcribe and notate. That would have taken me a LONG time.
Allow me to mention a new piece of software, developed here in Sweden called Score Cleaner, it's intention is to be THE transcribing tool. For now it's midi in only, but I've been told that in the spring an audio in version will be available. That's right, play a piano through the mike and get it transcribed.
http://www.doremir.com/

#1772385 - 10/17/11 05:25 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Intermediate/Advanced Players [Re: chrisbell]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: chrisbell
. . . . .Now Cm6, I'm sure can be subbed here but since the melody calls specifically for min/maj, that's what I use.

I've come to prefer - and use - a Cm6/9 in the LH, but play the maj7 in the RH.

Yeah -- fuller voicing. But a 13 is a valid note in C min/maj so I would play that in the solo.

My point though is that Cm6 by itself (like Cm6 in Footprints or Mr PC) wouldn't suggest a maj7.

Lately though, if the tune stays on Cm7 for a long time, I'll probably cycle through Cmin/maj7, Cm6, Cm11 for some inner voice movement.

#1772387 - 10/17/11 05:28 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Intermediate/Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
Scott Coletta Offline
500 Post Club Member

I hear you. I'm from a different school though. I never work out lines in advance and I know you do because I can tell from your playing that everything is thought out.

Instead I try to have my ear react to the moment. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. The slip here though is just technical and not related to the ear. I wasn't going to bother re-recording it since I thought it was clearly unintended (especially on a downbeat).

I would say that I'm in the same school, I'm just not good at it yet smile. I should clarify that the only time that I work out specifically what I'm going to play is during the heads of some tunes, which I do only because I have trouble with the melody. I always try to have my ear react to the moment when improvising. I think the challenge is developing enough ability to execute what you hear without ever missing. Of course, since I can't do that, I will rely on thinking about what works when what I hear isn't clear enough to play for sure. I would say that the ear and technic are the same thing if you are improvising. I've found that by practicing written lines and transcriptions I've gotten better at identifying and executing what I hear in the moment. I think that with continued work, it will get easier to accurately execute what is heard in the moment, and I think it should transfer to playing melodies too. It just takes alot more awareness and control when improvising around a melody I think.

I really am so gratified that you spent so much time analyzing what I played. I saw some other wrong notes in there that sounded like a rhythmic displacement (unintentional) -- like I was behind the bar line. I'm going to look at it some more. THANK YOU SCOTT!

No problem, it took a little while... maybe 30 minutes or so, but I'm not doing much today, so better that than sitting around doing nothing! Hope it helps.

#1772394 - 10/17/11 05:37 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Intermediate/Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

BTW Scott, I've looked at the other wrong notes and either I'm just slightly behind (which is a rhythmic problem) or it was not on the downbeat, in which case, it's not a wrong note in my mind.

So I'm not hearing a clear demarcation of the bar as I go faster. Something I wasn't aware of before. Clearly your analysis helps a lot thumb

I love this kind of deep analysis. It's easier to say "sounds good" and move on but it's when we do stuff like this that I find something specific to practice. I really appreciate it.

#1772404 - 10/17/11 05:44 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Intermediate/Advanced Players [Re: Scott Coletta]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

I think the challenge is developing enough ability to execute what you hear without ever missing. Of course, since I can't do that, I will rely on thinking about what works when what I hear isn't clear enough to play for sure. I would say that the ear and technic are the same thing if you are improvising.

I would say that this kind of perfection is not to be found among the likes of most of us on this thread. IMHO, it may be found only at the world class levels. Most people subscribe to the rule that "there is no wrong note in jazz. But you and I are the same then in setting a higher goal. I don't want to sound too rigid either, when I play. So I only want to be conscious of this in practice, not in performance. Too many things to think about live...

#1772642 - 10/18/11 03:05 AM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Intermediate/Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

How about a fun and atypical version of Autumn Leaves? From last night's jam session. Let's just say it's in honor of Roger Williams.

Autumn Leaves
http://www.box.net/shared/cao2b53lxb00mycj1me4

#1772724 - 10/18/11 08:27 AM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Intermediate/Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
knotty Offline
2000 Post Club Member

does the harmonica solo? I thought he sounded really good.

#1772890 - 10/18/11 01:08 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Intermediate/Advanced Players [Re: knotty]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

We had a good trumpet player last night. He didn't know the head well but then he figured it out. Young kid.

Footprints
http://www.box.net/shared/t0714xckp21ukkynip93

does the harmonica solo? I thought he sounded really good.

LOL - if you listened to the recording you will hear him solo.

#1772920 - 10/18/11 01:54 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Intermediate/Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
knotty Offline
2000 Post Club Member

I only heard him play the head at the top and somewhere in the middle. Which I thought was played well.

#1772934 - 10/18/11 02:19 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Intermediate/Advanced Players [Re: knotty]
Scott Coletta Offline
500 Post Club Member

I only heard him play the head... somewhere in the middle. Which I thought was played well.

I think that was his solo. cool

#1772937 - 10/18/11 02:23 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Intermediate/Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
Scott Coletta Offline
500 Post Club Member

We had a good trumpet player last night. He didn't know the head well but then he figured it out. Young kid.

Footprints
http://www.box.net/shared/t0714xckp21ukkynip93

Sounds good! You should get him in on some gigs... it would be good for him.

#1772948 - 10/18/11 02:36 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Intermediate/Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

I asked the trumpet kid to play with me on Saturday. I wasn't planning on taking more sit-ins after the last gig (where I had to erase the others from the recordings), but this kid sounded good. Must be like 21 years old.

I also asked the Autumn Leaves singer to join my band in future gigs. Listen to this (just the singer -- forget the instruments) There's a particular style to jazz singing that's not the same as regular singing. No vibrato and good at scatting.

Flash Bang Alakazam
http://www.box.net/shared/xv04nvbqqt6254jt8dqr

It's really fun meeting new talented people at these jams.

#1772950 - 10/18/11 02:37 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Intermediate/Advanced Players [Re: Scott Coletta]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

I only heard him play the head... somewhere in the middle. Which I thought was played well.

I think that was his solo. cool

LOL - I wasn't even paying attention. I guess he stuck pretty close to the melody. That guy plays jazz piano too so he was double dipping at the jam (he got to play lots of times).

#1772979 - 10/18/11 03:25 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Intermediate/Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
beeboss Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: uk south
I just posted a version of Bouncing with Bud up on youtube if anyone wants to check it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oR5Y6KNY9zA

Extra points if someone gets the quote

#1773042 - 10/18/11 05:15 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Intermediate/Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
knotty Offline
2000 Post Club Member

too late.. someone else already got the quote. Nice playing beeboss!!

#1773064 - 10/18/11 06:04 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Intermediate/Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
beeboss Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Thanks Knotty
the quote was obviously too easy
I'll make it more difficult next time

#1773072 - 10/18/11 06:10 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Intermediate/Advanced Players [Re: beeboss]
Scott Coletta Offline
500 Post Club Member

Where was it? I don't know that tune so it wasn't easy for me.

Really nice playing by the way... as usual!

#1773097 - 10/18/11 06:55 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Intermediate/Advanced Players [Re: beeboss]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: beeboss
I just posted a version of Bouncing with Bud up on youtube if anyone wants to check it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oR5Y6KNY9zA

Extra points if someone gets the quote

Really nice Beeboss! That head is scary. Maybe one of the more difficult heads I've seen.

Didn't know the tune you were quoting, so no chance....

#1773121 - 10/18/11 07:42 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Intermediate/Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
beeboss Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Thanks guys

the quote was from Buds Bubble ...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpKcJvRgLH4

also known as Crazeology ...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdW8G68Bhco

#1773338 - 10/19/11 04:12 AM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Intermediate/Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
chrisbell Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Wicked playing BB!

Crazeology is in RealBook 2

#1774760 - 10/21/11 04:56 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Intermediate/Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Someone remind me -- I've got tickets to Keith Jarrett Trio next week (Wed). YAY!

Last time I had KJ tickets, I forgot about the concert until the following day...

I've been listening to those KJ albums suggested earlier. Great stuff.

Page 114 of 227 < 1 2 ... 112 113 114 115 116 ... 226 227 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!

Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
So when someone offers you a free piano you........
by Dennis R in WA
11/28/14 03:29 PM
Technique for embellishments (half rolls)
by DeadPoets
11/28/14 03:09 PM
Mason Hamlin AA Vs Schimmel Classic C189
by blueeyes2014
11/28/14 02:29 PM
Accelerating learning; iPad, apps, & my digital piano p105
by megabyzus
11/28/14 01:27 PM
A piano is a "value proposition".
by turandot
11/28/14 12:38 PM
Forum Stats
77074 Members
42 Forums
159422 Topics
2341862 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission