Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 158 of 227 < 1 2 ... 156 157 158 159 160 ... 226 227 >
Topic Options
#1854975 - 03/02/12 03:05 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
knotty Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Bethesda, MD (Washington D.C)
Remember how I talked about this drummer who subbed on piano to save the day at the mid atlantic jazz fest? Well there he is:

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#1854998 - 03/02/12 03:39 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: knotty]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: So. California
Originally Posted By: knotty
Remember how I talked about this drummer who subbed on piano to save the day at the mid atlantic jazz fest? Well there he is:

AWESOME! I'm so envious!!! He's actually so good on each instrument!

#1855185 - 03/02/12 07:34 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
scepticalforumguy Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lower Mainland, BC
Originally Posted By: jazzwee
Originally Posted By: knotty

AWESOME! I'm so envious!!! He's actually so good on each instrument!

He's also playing a left-handed drum-set which is pretty hard to do if you're right handed, so even more impressive.

#1855268 - 03/02/12 11:06 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

btw - I actually played Donna Lee for awhile. Too bad I didn't record. I just used my iPhone app at 200bpm which was a tad slower than Beeboss' version.

So busy with gigs so we'll see if I get a chance tomorrow before I pack up for gigs. I've never recorded playing Donna Lee. But that and Giant Steps became my practice tunes for tonight.

#1855751 - 03/03/12 08:54 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
Scott Coletta Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Chicago
Here's a mind-boggling fast version of Donna Lee...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nptqk7v7fP0

I don't even get the point of this! smile

#1855775 - 03/03/12 09:39 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: Scott Coletta]
scepticalforumguy Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lower Mainland, BC
Originally Posted By: Scott Coletta
Here's a mind-boggling fast version of Donna Lee...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nptqk7v7fP0

I don't even get the point of this! smile

Higher. Faster. Louder. What else is important to trumpet players? wink

Actually, I found it pretty impressive, but I don't usually gravitate towards this type of playing when I'm listening for pleasure. Live though, I'd love to see it just because it's so 'dangerous'-- like a train wreck could happen at any time, but doesn't.

#1856090 - 03/04/12 12:53 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: scepticalforumguy]
jjo Offline
500 Post Club Member

I posted earlier how, starting with Comrade Conrad, I've been trying to play some standards in many different keys, both to help my memory of the tunes, and improve my ear.

My latest project is to re-learn Windows in B instead of Bb. As I've noted before, Chick plays in in B, but because of a sax player, my band ended up using a version in Bb. This is a piece I've played for years in one key, but I've committed to switching to a new key, by memory, of course. The point, I hope, is to shake things up a bit in the piece, and really hear the changes, rather than think of them in any one key. The early returns are that it's pretty easy to learn the head by memory in a new key, but I can lose it when improvising, particulary because we play it at a fast tempo. But overall, I'm really enjoying the different sound becuase each key signature does have a different feel.

#1856217 - 03/04/12 05:18 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jjo]
Scott Coletta Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: jjo
I posted earlier how, starting with Comrade Conrad, I've been trying to play some standards in many different keys, both to help my memory of the tunes, and improve my ear.

...The point, I hope, is to shake things up a bit in the piece, and really hear the changes, rather than think of them in any one key. The early returns are that it's pretty easy to learn the head by memory in a new key, but I can lose it when improvising, particulary because we play it at a fast tempo. But overall, I'm really enjoying the different sound becuase each key signature does have a different feel.

I've been doing this too. Started with the Comrade. I worked on Someday My Prince Will Come in all 12 keys and now I'm doing Skylark. I don't really intend to get to where I can play these tunes comfortably in any key...yet. But I do think that it's great for the ear and memorization. And it is fun to see what different things come out due to the feel changing in different keys. Sometimes I'll accidentally discover really cool voicings or subs in foreign keys that I can use in the original key.

#1856268 - 03/04/12 08:29 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
jjo Offline
500 Post Club Member

Scott:

what's intersting is I was telling my band that we were going to switch keys and one of the fun parts is that different keys sound differently. I realized that drummers and bass players probably don't hear much difference, but to piano players, different keys definitely have different personalities. Maybe they hear some difference, but just think the piano player is feeling it differently.

#1856269 - 03/04/12 08:30 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
beeboss Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: uk south
Yeah that Comrade is pretty challenging. It really showed up for me where my weak keys are. I am going to try and play in every day for a few weeks before I move on to other 12 key stuff.

#1856271 - 03/04/12 08:32 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jjo]
beeboss Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: uk south
Originally Posted By: jjo
Scott:

what's intersting is I was telling my band that we were going to switch keys and one of the fun parts is that different keys sound differently. I realized that drummers and bass players probably don't hear much difference, but to piano players, different keys definitely have different personalities. Maybe they hear some difference, but just think the piano player is feeling it differently.

It is a lot easier for the bass because the pattern relationships are the same whatever key you are playing in. They still have to mentally keep up with the changes though which is hard enough!

#1856559 - 03/05/12 12:27 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Yesterday afternoon, as I was unloading my car to set up for the gig, I noticed another person walk in with a keyboard and amp. I sensed a problem so I asked the guy if he's playing. He said yes, 4-7pm. Well I'm playing 4-7pm too. Double Booked!

So long story short, we had to hash it out but we were the one published to play so poor guy had to leave. But he had a drink before moving his gear out of the way so that was a pain.

In any case, we apparently wowed the crowd (or we were better than the other band -- don't really know) but looks like they're going to book us regularly. We play again next week and they're already asking about 2 weeks from now.

I was curious what the other band sounded like because it was also a jazz quartet with Sax (which was what I had too). Curious about the competition smile I asked the people what the other band plays and they said it was "different". They seem to like what we did better.

For those of you who want to get gigs, it's an interesting question because our "sound" seems to appeal to a larger audience. And perhaps not play like the other band (whatever it is they do).

#1856598 - 03/05/12 01:23 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Here's a recording from last night. All Blues (in 4)

All Blues
http://www.box.com/s/pgl1thbq0jff6usgjmze

#1856613 - 03/05/12 02:00 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
knotty Offline
2000 Post Club Member

sounding really good JW!

#1857275 - 03/06/12 03:24 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Thanks Knots. Doesn't swing of course smile

#1857291 - 03/06/12 03:55 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
knotty Offline
2000 Post Club Member

well, we can't be too picky, can we? wink

#1857298 - 03/06/12 04:05 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Part of our appeal is we change from swing to latin to funk. I just watch the faces of the audience and I can tell that it's working. So I stick to what works...

#1857359 - 03/06/12 06:10 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
knotty Offline
2000 Post Club Member

That's very smart. You're right, people like rhythm.

#1857376 - 03/06/12 06:31 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Got by 'Band in the Box' today!

Even the piano comping is so realistic. Wow. This is great. Will need to do many of my practice tunes on this.

#1858366 - 03/08/12 11:54 AM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
chrisbell Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Stockholm, Sweden
I've been busy working on the release of the album (rave reviews in the Swedish papers!) but will post some work-at-home tracks.
Meanwhile, I'm having a think about this: Master Class with Chick Corea: http://www.guitarworkshop.com/artist-corea.php

I never play anything the same way once.

https://soundcloud.com/chrisb/sets
https://www.youtube.com/user/djboing/videos

#1858369 - 03/08/12 12:01 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
knotty Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Hey Chris,

I posted about that some time ago, but the $5k pricetag kind of slowed me down. I opted for the $500 week at Aebersold instead :-)

#1858386 - 03/08/12 12:28 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
chrisbell Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I must have missed that. Yeah the 5k has given me pause for thought too.
Aebersold would be really fun to go to, a bit far to travel though.
A friend of mine usually teaches bass a the course and says it has a really good vibe!

#1858908 - 03/09/12 10:43 AM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
knotty Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Chris,
Distance wise, Connecticut and Kentucky are probably pretty equivalent. And you can combine with with a tour of the local whiskey makers FTW.

JW,
Can you explain exactly what BiaB you bought. I can't figure out what to purchase so that this thing will sound good. I saw some awesome tracks on youtube, but I find the site confusing. Just how much is this thing in the end?

#1858923 - 03/09/12 11:19 AM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Knots, I bought the Ultrapak. Now I have an old BiaB so I guess I qualified for an upgrade. I don't know how they know that, if they check your name against a prior purchase list.

Anyway, I paid $299 for it. I was flying the last couple of days and was fooling around with BiaB on the airplane. There are quite a variety of styles particularly in Jazz. Stuff you hardly ever see like double-time feel ballads. Variations in Latin. Variations in swing.

Interface is a little bit outdated but it works.

I wanted to know if it can change feel in the middle of a tune but I haven't seen that. So maybe you'd have to cut and paste in a DAW (which I don't want to do).

Maybe Chris would know the answer, but I've often wondered how to handle a tune like Nardis. I want to make a practice backing track of this but can't figure out how to approach it in BiaB.

#1858974 - 03/09/12 01:02 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
jjo Offline
500 Post Club Member

My invented voicing (of course it's been done before, but it's new to me):

I've always liked what the Jazz Piano Book calls the Kenny Baron voicing for a minor 7th. In the left hand you play the root, a note a fifth above, and a note a fifth about that. In the right hand, you start a half set up and play three notes a fifth apart. So, for C minor, you play, from bottm up, C, G, D, Eb, Bb F. It's a great, open, chord to end a piece or in a solo rubato start.

My voicing: You can use the same principle to voice a major 7th. The left hand is the same, but the right hand starts a whole step up. (C, G, D, E, B, F#) You get a major 7th with a #11. In a few keys, I have to roll the chord. But I love that big, open sound.

#1858978 - 03/09/12 01:04 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
jjo Offline
500 Post Club Member

I've also looked into the Chick Corea "camp." $5,000 is a heap of dough. Also, they are looking for 45-50 people. They are hoping to get a good number of bass and drums, but how much opportunity to play will there be, and how much contact with Chick?

#1858982 - 03/09/12 01:10 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
knotty Offline
2000 Post Club Member

JW,

What do you mean about Nardis. What makes it special?
I think what a lot of people do is play the head solo and then press a pedal or something to play with a rhythm section. I don't know if Biab knows about any melody or hits. Does it?

Aebersolds are good for that, even if it's really limiting, in general, it's good for learning the tune.

#1859020 - 03/09/12 02:28 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

On Nardis, I don't like to play the head in 4. Of course I don't expect BiaB to do the hits, but some more open rhythm section would be great, even just playing whole notes on beat 1.

There's so many tunes like Stella, where you'd like the head played with 2 feel then have it switch to 4 on the solo. That's how I'd like to practice them.

It would be neat to be able to figure this out so I have something to practice against. In a live band, I've been more specific with my rhythm section and we discuss the feel of the head vs. the solo.

#1859033 - 03/09/12 03:12 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
chrisbell Offline
1000 Post Club Member

There's several styles in BiaB where the bass plays 2 and then 4 or only 2 or only 4.
When you chooses a bass track in the RealTracks there's an assortment of them.
If their not there you need to purchase the jazz collection.

#1859045 - 03/09/12 03:38 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Chris, I haven't figured out how to change styles in the middle. Is that actually possible or are you cutting and pasting in the DAW?

Are you saying there's an actual single style that switches from 2 to 4? Is this like 1st chorus 2 feel then switch to 4 on subsequent? I don't have it running right now so I can't check.

Page 158 of 227 < 1 2 ... 156 157 158 159 160 ... 226 227 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Ambitious Jazz beginner
by Ruan
Today at 01:10 AM
Is this a real Steinway?
by chernobieff
Yesterday at 11:51 PM
DGX-650 TOPIC
by Jtreimer
Yesterday at 11:24 PM
Janko keyboard video
by Michael Sayers
Yesterday at 08:28 PM
RECOVERING PIANO HAMMERS
by Steinway K
Yesterday at 07:31 PM
Who's Online
68 registered (AZNpiano, Banshee, angga888, 15 invisible), 1132 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76610 Members
42 Forums
158406 Topics
2326255 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission