Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 212 of 222 < 1 2 ... 210 211 212 213 214 ... 221 222 >
Topic Options
#2158519 - 09/27/13 10:13 AM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
knotty Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Bethesda, MD (Washington D.C)
Thanks JW. That's very nice to say. I find it much easier to play the acoustic than the digital piano, so that helps a lot.

It's funny you mention about the bass player. He is actually one of the guys that I play with who makes it easy for me. I don't have to work hard, things swing a lot easier. And he says the same about me, so we end up getting along. Though we don't often play together, but I always look forward to it.

I have a whole bunch more tracks, my buddy is trying to mix them better than I did. Might come out slightly better. It's all the zoom, which I thought made the piano sound pretty decent.

(ads P/S)
Sauter Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2161057 - 10/03/13 04:30 AM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
The Wind Offline

I just got back from Seattle, going to Keith Jarrett's show last night. Still on cloud nine. Man I was floored. Beautiful music and a great vibe, he didn't say anything snarky to the audience. They played 4(!!) encores, the crowd loved it.

Here's the tunes he played that I recognized: Blame it on my Youth, Fever, Answer me my love, God Bless the Child, When I fall in Love... lots more stuff. One tune I never heard before, In Your Own Sweet Way.

Funny I look it up and it's a Dave Brubeck song. I will have to learn that one.

The piano wasn't miked up too loud, I was in the 15th row and had a somewhat hard time hearing the piano. I can't imagine those 30 rows back or up in the higher balconies (there were 3 tiers, quite the setup).

Thankfully in the second set they turned it up slightly.

I can check off seeing one of my favourite pianists live now, maybe the only thing that could top it is going to a solo show. But he's playing only 4 shows in the USA this year so I'm thankful I could even see him.

#2161087 - 10/03/13 07:13 AM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: The Wind]
custard apple Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sydney
Sounds like a great set list.
So you watched the trio ?
How were Gary and Jack ?

#2165697 - 10/13/13 03:14 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
chrisbell Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Stockholm, Sweden
Why the Progress You Make in the Practice Room Seems to Disappear Overnight.
Good article about learning music.

#2165800 - 10/13/13 08:45 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
knotty Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Thanks for posting this Chris. I love this kind of stuff.

#2165837 - 10/14/13 12:01 AM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
KlinkKlonk Offline

that explains why I actually have been able to learn things despite collison course with sage piano advice

#2165901 - 10/14/13 04:00 AM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: chrisbell]
Mark Polishook Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Leicester, UK
Originally Posted By: chrisbell
Why the Progress You Make in the Practice Room Seems to Disappear Overnight.
Good article about learning music.

Chris, really nice link w/advice that can go right to work right now!. Thanks for posting!

http://www.polishookstudio.com - The Blog of the Improvised Line
mark@polishookstudio.com

#2166134 - 10/14/13 02:38 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
chrisbell Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Stockholm, Sweden
Yeah, its a good read.

So I've been busy for months, working my proverbial ass of, transferring hand-written scores into Finale - then creating the parts, proofreading, making suggestions, making changes (please repeat x amount) and then rehearsing the material together with the composer.
6 new pieces for big band (54 minutes total), commissioned by one of the great European big bands (Bohuslän Big band - this is a full time working big band, subsidised by private and governmental means).
The music was great (well still is), the band is stupendous (amazing readers), they swing like a mutha!
I'll post a tune or two once the video is edited and the rights are sorted out.
But here's a clip from a sound-check, Monica Dominique (the composer) is at the piano, singing (the song "Hey, John" written by Blossom Dearie, here with Swedish lyrics) together with three of Sweden's great on their respective instruments. This is swinging melodic piano playing.

Ps: she's old enough to be a grand-mother to some of you. Swing, groove and love and music knows no age limits.

#2166276 - 10/14/13 07:28 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
knotty Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Great stuff Chris. That must be so much fun. I'm looking forward to the big band. Grant is coming over in a few minutes. I'll say hi for you.

#2177293 - 11/05/13 01:10 AM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
jazzwee Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: So. California
Haven't been around. Jury duty, etc... But just wanted to share this. Just saw it today. For whatever reason, I couldn't stop playing it over and over.

#2177294 - 11/05/13 01:13 AM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
Whizbang Offline
500 Post Club Member

Can't be jazzwee. He's mythical. Haven't seen him in decades.

#2177446 - 11/05/13 10:25 AM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
jjo Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Chicago
Who's on the cut? The drummer looks like Paul Motion?

#2177684 - 11/05/13 06:13 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jjo]
jazzwee Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Alan Pasqua, Paul Motian, and Dave Holland

#2179250 - 11/08/13 05:17 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
Bobpickle Offline

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014

Loc: Cameron Park, California
Saw Fred Hersch's trio last night at UC Davis. I couldn't see his bassist or drummer from where I was seated, but that said, I had the best view of his left hand of anyone, being about 15 feet and roughly 200 degrees back from him. It was a great blend of his tunes - new and old - and some free jazz a la Ornette Coleman. He segued into several with long romantic solo introductions which I really enjoyed.

He ended with a solo encore of his oft-played "Valentine."

Eliane Elias - "My Cherie Amour"

Bernhard - Always Have a [Good] Plan

#2179415 - 11/09/13 02:32 AM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
jazzwee Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Haven't seen Fred Hersch live yet but I'll have to satisfy myself with many of his records. That's great you got to see him. I wasn't sure he was going to make it. He was preparing his legacy there for awhile, already planning to be gone...How did he look? Later videos show him looking much better.

#2179452 - 11/09/13 05:41 AM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
custard apple Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Hey Bob
Thanks for the report. You were really privileged to attend.

Hey JW
From reading in between the lines of his interviews, his long coma had implications for his approach to improvisation. He said something like "I am always prepared to take a risk. So what if I make a mistake ? No-one's going to die from my mistake. I was the one who died".

#2179628 - 11/09/13 02:28 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
Bobpickle Offline

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014

Loc: Cameron Park, California
Originally Posted By: jazzwee
How did he look? Later videos show him looking much better.

He looked good and pretty spry (he opted to jump up on and off the stage rather than take the stairs a few feet away). I imagine he has to be doing pretty well with the rather busy concert schedule he and his trio are following. One thing I did notice, which I've noticed in other videos of his and thought was odd, was his use of band-aids on various fingers while playing - though, maybe he just gets cuts frequently.

Yeah, custard, on the same topic of the coma, though, I read Hersch present it to the Miami Herald in a more positive light -
A smart, lyrical pianist and composer with a distinctive sound and an unassuming manner, five-time Grammy nominee Fred Hersch is one of the most important jazz musicians of his generation.

But that’s just part of his story.

Diagnosed as HIV-positive in the mid 1980s, Hersch developed AIDS-related dementia in 2008. Comatose for two months, he recovered only after an eight-month ordeal in which he was bed-bound and intubated, unable to speak or swallow, weighing barely more than 100 pounds at his lowest point. He required extensive physical therapy to walk again and regain full use of his hands.

Hersch, 57, not only recovered, but went back to work with a vengeance, assembling a terrific new trio that he brings to Davie’s Miniaci Performing Arts Center Saturday night, presented by South Florida Jazz.

“Going through a near-death experience and coming out the other side, it’s got to change your life,” he says in a telephone interview from Missoula, Mont. “People tell me that my playing is looser and freer than it was. I’ve always kind of gone for it, but now there is really no reason to hold back.”

Eliane Elias - "My Cherie Amour"

Bernhard - Always Have a [Good] Plan

#2179703 - 11/09/13 05:48 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
jazzwee Offline
6000 Post Club Member

The band aids are probably from bleeding. Maybe he's on anti-coagulation meds (Coumadin) etc. so you easily bleed. I haven't booked to watch any concerts in town and I guess he's also in the LA area right now. I see also he's booked in LA for next May. Sounds like I'll get some opportunities to see him.

I've made a point of watching old-timers because I may not have an opportunity to listen to them again. For example, Chick, Herbie, Wayne Shorter, Benny Golson, Barry Harris etc. are getting up there in years. You never know...and you could lose seeing a bit of history.

#2180646 - 11/11/13 01:47 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
jazzwee Offline
6000 Post Club Member

A little Jazz Fusion! Definitely a different style of playing...

#2180691 - 11/11/13 04:13 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
jjo Offline
500 Post Club Member

Love that cut. The only thing that seems a bit fusiony to me is when HH changes to an electronic keyboard need the end. Prior to that, it's all jazz to me!

Herbie's solos, to me, don't have an arc of a story with a beginning and end. Rather, it's like he is an endless font of incredibly ideas that just spew out of him. I feel like he could go on forever, and I'd be happy to just keep listening.

#2180715 - 11/11/13 05:41 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
jazzwee Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Fusion-y in the rhythm section which drives a different style of soloing (phrasing, etc.). Tremendous solo by Herbie IMO. Pat Metheny was cookin' but not in the same way Herbie was. There really was so much stuff going on there. A lot of exploration going on to my ears, but typical Herbie stuff.

Rhythmically, it takes so much chops to play like this. I'd probably still be struggling at 3/4 this tempo if I tried to play like Herbie. Of course it's easy to simplify.

#2180739 - 11/11/13 06:59 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
jjo Offline
500 Post Club Member

I agree that Metheny was good, HH was outrageous. HH can play, brilliantly, in virtually any style. Was recently listening (on Spotify) to a Grant Green CD called Feelin the Spirit which is Green's jazzy take on gospel music. HH is the keyboard player and plays this rollicking gospel infused style like that's what he'd done his whole life.

#2180811 - 11/11/13 11:22 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
KlinkKlonk Offline

why do jazz muscian dress so badly

#2180828 - 11/12/13 12:01 AM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: KlinkKlonk]
jazzwee Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: KlinkKlonk

What do YOU wear on a gig? wink Just curious.

Me -- just black. Band uniform. Nothing fancy though. Black T-Shirt is fine for us for normal gigs.

#2180833 - 11/12/13 01:04 AM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: KlinkKlonk]
The Wind Offline

haha, this is the early 90's. the playing is superb though. Herbie never fails to inspire.

What's going on with you guys for gigs and shows?

#2180850 - 11/12/13 02:55 AM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
custard apple Offline
2000 Post Club Member

How come the bassist is dressed so normally (by today's standard) ?
Who is the bassist ?

HH's rhythmic feel is so propulsive. And he does an incredible amount in the mid-upper register.

#2180871 - 11/12/13 05:05 AM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
Mark Polishook Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Leicester, UK
cus ... that's dave holland.

here a full length documentary where a lot of musicians including herbie and carlos santana talk about why miles is amazing. dave holland is in there in full late 60s/early 70s regalia.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7y-SKEftDe0

here's a bbc documentary from the 1970 isle of wight festival that that the first youtube clip shows (but only from miles perspective).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wr8MmAT860

http://www.polishookstudio.com - The Blog of the Improvised Line
mark@polishookstudio.com

#2180875 - 11/12/13 05:36 AM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
custard apple Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Thanks Mark ! I had no idea Dave Holland was from the UK. I actually was in Isle of Wight last year and missed out on the pop festival by one week.
I think that jazz artists who can switch to commercial music are pretty amazing and versatile. A few years ago I was listening to Donald Byrd on myspace and thinking "huh ? Is this the Donald Byrd bebopper on Lush Life ?"

#2180908 - 11/12/13 07:29 AM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
KlinkKlonk Offline

Me -- just black. Band uniform. Nothing fancy though. Black T-Shirt is fine for us for normal gigs.

a kimono and a wig ofc

#2181098 - 11/12/13 02:06 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: KlinkKlonk]
jazzwee Offline
6000 Post Club Member

a kimono and a wig ofc

LOL.

To me, appearance in jazz distracts from the music. By the same token, my band doesn't talk much during gigs. I don't like over-talky singers either. But on instrumental gigs, we are quiet and only the music is heard.

And we are not background (too loud to be considered background).

I suppose it's a little bit of the Bill Evans school here...

Page 212 of 222 < 1 2 ... 210 211 212 213 214 ... 221 222 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
79 registered (AZNpiano, anotherscott, arX, Beemer, 14 invisible), 1160 Guests and 40 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74307 Members
42 Forums
153691 Topics
2253031 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Spelling chords and using correct accidentals
by JoelW
04/24/14 03:11 AM
HELP! Is this strain because of my technique?
by T.M.E.
04/23/14 11:26 PM
Is it my technique that's causing this?
by T.M.E.
04/23/14 10:49 PM
Best brand of upright piano 48" or larger?
by WG40
04/23/14 10:22 PM
Kawai MP11 vs. Kawai VPC-1 Action / Key Length
by jp2011
04/23/14 10:00 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission