2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
41 members (36251, Doug M., Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, busa, benkeys, Burkhard, David Boyce, 6 invisible), 1,094 guests, and 259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 219 of 341 1 2 217 218 219 220 221 340 341
jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
I've given another try to see if conscious attention to the swing beat will help out. I've slowed it down even more from the last recording to make it more difficult to me. This is the most uncomfortable tempo for me.

I think I maintained my concentration a good amount of the time. And you will hear when I lost it.

Hammer away...

ATTYA Swing Practice
http://www.box.com/s/s8hev05a6qft6qbzs2th

Pianoclues.com for Beginners
My Jazz Blog
Hamburg Steinway O, Nord Electro 4 HP

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Scott Coletta
Originally Posted by jazzwee

What's different from "speech" though is that you're under time pressure (milliseconds). Most of us can have a nice conversation and story but we don't have to partition our words within the beats exactly and time it to the swing beat smile LOL.

So the "speech" or "speech idioms = licks" isn't a precise analogy. This thing we do is really different.

And of course most of us don't speak like orators. We have accents, flubs, irritating repetitiveness, boring stories, and so on.

Yeah, I agree. The time is different. But there is still an element of rhythm to speech, in the way things are phrased, accented, and even in how we have breaks in thoughts or stumble over words. We of course notice the difference in non-native English speakers and people from different regions. When the rhythms in speech are disrupted it's noticeable, and for those who aren't native speakers of a language, its not easy to articulate your thoughts. And obviously most people aren't artists when they speak. I just think that it's the closest thing that we all understand to what improvising music should be like... with artistry of course. smile

What I meant is that the "pressure" is different. It's like every word spoken is on live TV and millions are listening. That's perhaps the closer analogy smile

Except even worse, your performance is being measured by precise means such as time accuracy.

My Jazz Blog

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I remember Seinfeld saying he transcribed a lot of Bill Cosby when he was coming up. Imitating his phrasing, speed and accents.

B
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
B
I've given another try to see if conscious attention to the swing beat will help out. I've slowed it down even more from the last recording to make it more difficult to me. This is the most uncomfortable tempo for me.

JW I reckon that cymbal rhythm is really not helping. It just doesn't swing well and that is influencing the way you are playing it. It must be like walking in treacle.

I just got one of these and the drumming is great. Thanks to Dave Ferris for the recommendation. I think that would really help, you could just use put a piano bass line down on it to mark the changes. Or get a bass player to lay something down. Check out the demo. The actual cd (or download) has many more tempos, every 10 bmp i think from really slow to rally fast.

http://www.paulcarman.com/store/product.php?productid=16134

I don't know why I didn't try these before, they are so much better than aebersolds.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

I agree with Chris about the being present while you play. More and more I find that ideas just come out when I don't force it. Of course it's alot of concentration, but more like the kind of concentration it takes to focus on your breathing and block all other thoughts out of your mind. Like meditating.

But there's no way I could have done this during the first years of learning to play. I've found that it's been a process of getting so comfortable with things that you start to have greater and greater intuitive certainty about what sound you will get before you play it. And, just as much so, a stronger and stronger connection to the sound of the changes to keep from losing your place no matter what you play. So when you do surprise yourself, you stay connected to your direction and adapt to the change of course without losing your focus.

For me, I've noticed this coming on gradually over the last few years and it's really exciting. It's a level of control that I never really knew could exist when I was starting out. I just tried to "muscle" my way through everything and thought that pure thinking power would get me there. But it's more like speaking your native language... it just happens because you know it. You don't have to think about the words, just what you are saying. While I have noticed a change over the years in how my playing sounds, the biggest change is inside...the way I feel about what I play. I'm getting more in control all the time. But, I still have a long way to go. I guess it never ends, but the journey is great.

Scott, these are really great thoughts and observations. You really should consider teaching piano. haha

--For those that haven't checked out his website you should do so-- If he were in the neighbourhood I'd take lessons with him.

Scott, more than anything else, it really seems that you can identify with the struggles with learning how to play jazz piano, and that you've kept track of these. The great thing is that you've now come to a place that you can look back at the majority of those issues and be able to talk from the other side, so to speak, but you're also not so far along that you've forgotten where you've come from. I think sometimes those are the best teachers, rather than trying to learn from the phenomes that didn't really go through the same issues.

Recordings of my recent solo piano and piano/keyboard trio jazz standards.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

I think I maintained my concentration a good amount of the time. And you will hear when I lost it.

Hammer away...

ATTYA Swing Practice

Were you just looking for comments about the swing, or the melodic aspects as well?

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by scepticalforumguy

Hammer away...

ATTYA Swing Practice

Were you just looking for comments about the swing, or the melodic aspects as well?

I wasn't focused on the melodic aspects when I was doing this but I never refuse critique. Not that anything is going to change much between this and the last recording so I'm not expecting that part to be any better.

And regarding swing, I've never been successful at the 120bpm range so I always expect this to be the worst for me. Unfortunately, I don't have an easy way of getting a good rhythm section for practice (with bass). iRealB is all I have and some limited Aeborsolds (unfortunately most of these are uptempo). Even my live rhythm section doesn't swing that well either.

But I'll just keep slogging away at it. As Beeboss says, we learn from the journey as well. I'm mostly happy with my articulation at mid to mid-up.

My Jazz Blog

B
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
B
I don't have an easy way of getting a good rhythm section for practice (with bass). iRealB is all I have

Better to make like Scott and just lay down a bass line I think. I don't think anyone could swing with that cymbal.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I don't understand why you need a backing track.
If you cannot sound good byyourself, you can't sound good with others.

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by beeboss
I don't have an easy way of getting a good rhythm section for practice (with bass). iRealB is all I have

Better to make like Scott and just lay down a bass line I think. I don't think anyone could swing with that cymbal.

Well that is the point. It's always been said that one should listen to the bass player for the groove. So I always like to have a bass. So I could always turn off the drums in iRealB.

I'm not good enough at bass to lay my own track. Besides, once I have to do too many things to practice than it just becomes a distraction. Until I started playing with a live band, I always just practiced solo piano.

My live drummer is as stiff as the recording so I might as well learn to deal with that.

My Jazz Blog

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

Scott, these are really great thoughts and observations. You really should consider teaching piano. haha

--For those that haven't checked out his website you should do so-- If he were in the neighbourhood I'd take lessons with him.

Scott, more than anything else, it really seems that you can identify with the struggles with learning how to play jazz piano, and that you've kept track of these. The great thing is that you've now come to a place that you can look back at the majority of those issues and be able to talk from the other side, so to speak, but you're also not so far along that you've forgotten where you've come from. I think sometimes those are the best teachers, rather than trying to learn from the phenomes that didn't really go through the same issues.

Thanks Scep. I really appreciate this. You know... I do still teach on Skype... but really Scep, I don't think you need any lessons from me. smile

I have definitely found that trying to learn jazz as an adult really helps my teaching, and conversely, teaching really helps with learning jazz. The whole process keeps me grounded I think.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

Hammer away...

ATTYA Swing Practice

Well, it's swingin', just a little slippery at times. smile

Overall, for trying to really swing, I think your articulation is too flowing. I'm not really sure how to explain it except maybe to say that there's a punch that's missing. I would try picking a solo played by somebody really swinging hard, transcribe it and play along with the recording until you can really hit the mark. Wynton Kelly would be good... not too technically challenging. Or maybe Bud Powell.

I know you're not a big fan of transcribing. But I've found that even just doing a couple choruses of something that you like the feel of, and practicing until you can lock in playing it along with the recording at tempo, can really help with advancing the way you feel things like articulation.

B
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
B

Well that is the point. It's always been said that one should listen to the bass player for the groove.

I don't think that counts if the bass comes from your phone ;-)

I'm not good enough at bass to lay my own track.

Sure you are. You don't have to do real fancy walking bass, something basic is enough. Just use low notes on the piano (or an organ sound maybe), and record it while playing along with a metronome (to make sure it is solid). It might even help learn something about how chords connect as well. Everyone needs to understand how the bass moves.

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Beeboss - LOL - what's the phone going to do differently than I would? iRealB would be on tempo at all times. There's no cymbals to worry about.

I've tried some Aebeorsolds but of course I've got to stick to tune and tempo available. Some of them have really complex drumming too.

I was just trying to keep it simple since I'm trying to focus on a few issues at a time.

My Jazz Blog

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Overall, for trying to really swing, I think your articulation is too flowing.

I've transcribed and played lots of blues. So I presume you're talking about the phrase endings where I cut the eighth note? I don't think I'm doing that.

When I listen to Wynton, he plays shorter phrases at this tempo so there's more opportunity to hear those cut eighths.

What do you think?

My Jazz Blog

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

Overall, for trying to really swing, I think your articulation is too flowing.

I've transcribed and played lots of blues. So I presume you're talking about the phrase endings where I cut the eighth note? I don't think I'm doing that.

When I listen to Wynton, he plays shorter phrases at this tempo so there's more opportunity to hear those cut eighths.

What do you think?

Why don't you share a track of you playing blues? I'm quite curious because you mentioned that your first teacher emphasized learning the blues with you, but I've never actually heard you play anything that sounded like it was using any part of the blues scales. Who knows, maybe you'll have a better feel with it?

B
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
B

I've tried some Aebeorsolds but of course I've got to stick to tune and tempo available. Some of them have really complex drumming too.

You only need a couple of simple slow to medium paced tunes to practise your swing, there must be some suitable aebersolds.
As scep mentioned something bluesy would probably be a good choice.
I just don't think you are ever going to sound swinging with that cymbal going on.

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Why don't you share a track of you playing blues? I'm quite curious because you mentioned that your first teacher emphasized learning the blues with you, but I've never actually heard you play anything that sounded like it was using any part of the blues scales. Who knows, maybe you'll have a better feel with it?

Just to be clear, I hated that one year of Blues. That's all I did then. I did nothing but play licks for one year. Nothing came from me.

My Jazz Blog

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

Just to be clear, I hated that one year of Blues. That's all I did then. I did nothing but play licks for one year. Nothing came from me.

Time to forget your ugly past and bring forth your beautiful future! Blues time! So just to be clear, I think this aspect of jazz is missing from your playing, and it could probably help if you re-acquainted yourself with it. I can't think of any player that I like listening to that doesn't have some elements of blues in their playing. Even Bill Evans used it occasionally, no?

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
...and I have a request from all of you, please.

I've been working on playing solo piano for a while now, and I've seemed to have gravitated towards this style of playing wherein I'm not concerned with strict time keeping. My preference for some reason is to play things rubato.

I really would like honest feedback on whether you find this type of playing appealing or just kind of odd, odious, or whatever. So should I abandon rubato? Is there something else I need to consider if I'm going to make this more listenable? Is strict time always more preferable?
Here's the link:
http://www.box.com/s/b0irshn4o5tjnbg390ud

Page 219 of 341 1 2 217 218 219 220 221 340 341

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission