Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1343047 - 01/07/10 08:54 AM RCM Grade 10 Exams
Arvendragon Offline

Well I'm in grade nine right now, and taking grade ten piano. I'm looking to take the test this month, and does anyone have any suggestions on how to practice better?

What do you guys do to inspire yourself to practice?

And what is the pass mark for the exam? Both to continue on to ARCT and just as a "pass"?

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1343076 - 01/07/10 09:46 AM Re: RCM Grade 10 Exams [Re: Arvendragon]
Samuel1993 Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
I can't tell you the pass mark, as I'm only Grade 8. For practising, I set myself goals. I usually practise around 2 hours a day, warming up with scales before mastering 5 - 10 bars of a piece. If the practising becomes tiresome, I just take a break and relax for a bit. But just think of the reward for all the hard work when you can play a piece all the way through, that is the most rewarding feeling smile
Liszt - Romance in E minor "O pourquoi donc" S.196

#1343092 - 01/07/10 10:20 AM Re: RCM Grade 10 Exams [Re: Samuel1993]
Juli_et Offline

Loc: On, Canada
RCM grade 10 exam, you need 60 to pass but either overall 75 or minimum 70 in each section to pursue ARCT.

What do you mean by practice better? Which aspect do you think you need to improve?

I've never taken RCM exams but what was your mark for grade 9, did you get comment sheets? That should be an indication if your practice strategy is good or not.

Edited by Juli_et (01/07/10 11:09 AM)

#1343116 - 01/07/10 10:48 AM Re: RCM Grade 10 Exams [Re: Juli_et]
BruceD Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Victoria, BC
Arvendragon :

I, personally, don't need to be inspired to practice; I look forward every day to my morning practice session from 9:00 to 12:00.

A deadline, whether self-imposed or imposed externally, is often a good incentive to practice.

As for questions about RCM requirements, you could a) ask your teacher or b) get a copy of the Piano Syllabus. Those of us who have the Syllabus have to look up answers there. All your RCM-related questions will be answered in the Syllabus.

As Juli says, 60 is pass minimum for Grade 10, but, as a pre-requisite :
"The candidate has completed the Grade 10 Piano examination with a total mark of 75 or a minimum of 70 percent in each section of the examination at least one session prior. and The candidate has completed the theory co-requisite examinations for Grade 10 with a total mark of at least 60 for each examination, at least one session prior." (RCM Piano Syallabus, 2008; p. 99)

Regards,
Writing from Paris until 15 May, 2014

#1343137 - 01/07/10 11:32 AM Re: RCM Grade 10 Exams [Re: BruceD]
Juli_et Offline

Loc: On, Canada
To answer your second question, I do not need inspiration either. I enjoy practicing. In the past I had times where I was sick of practicing but I had too much pressure and needed a break. However, it has always helped me listening to pianists. When I was in college I was surprised most of the other piano students did not have pianist recordings to listen to. Today, you can go to you tube to watch some great pianists playing.

#1343450 - 01/07/10 08:02 PM Re: RCM Grade 10 Exams [Re: Juli_et]
pianogal37 Offline

I know the answer to this! I'm a pro at RCM 10! I've taken it 3 times smile The key is not to put off the technical tests until the month before the exam. My other big problem was crazy hand shakiness (because I knew I hadn't practiced enough).
I did pass the 3rd time. Whew!
Consider the Earmaster 5.0 for ear tests, or some other ear training program. It's a good help for chords and intervals, etc.
Good luck! Choose pieces you like so you enjoy practicing them.

#1343750 - 01/08/10 07:36 AM Re: RCM Grade 10 Exams [Re: BruceD]
Arvendragon Offline

Originally Posted By: BruceD

"The candidate has completed the Grade 10 Piano examination with a total mark of 75 or a minimum of 70 percent in each section of the examination at least one session prior. and The candidate has completed the theory co-requisite examinations for Grade 10 with a total mark of at least 60 for each examination, at least one session prior." (RCM Piano Syallabus, 2008; p. 99)

I understand that you need the theory co-requisites, but what happens when you take the theory at the same time or after?

I remember taking the Advanced Rudiments in Grade 7 along with the practical, and I passed both and received a certificate. Has this changed?

#1343757 - 01/08/10 07:56 AM Re: RCM Grade 10 Exams [Re: Arvendragon]
Louis H. Bousquet Offline

Loc: Stratford, Ontario, Canada
Are you in Gr9 school or piano right now I am confused. Anyway, I suggest that you sit down and practice for an hour, take a break, do something else and then come back to it.

#1343768 - 01/08/10 08:29 AM Re: RCM Grade 10 Exams [Re: Louis H. Bousquet]
Arvendragon Offline

I'm in 9 in school and 10 piano.

Yeah, I find breaks are great, but I've played each of my songs enough times to find them incredibly boring. T.T

But only 2 weeks left... MUST PRACTICE.

And I found it helps a lot to "feel" the music better.

#1343915 - 01/08/10 12:02 PM Re: RCM Grade 10 Exams [Re: Arvendragon]
MordentMusic Offline

Loc: Windsor, Ontario, Canada
LOL i'm in the same boat as Arvendragon... i've taken it twice to far... got a 69% the second time i took it...

The first time i failed horribly because i left technique until the last minute. Thakfully thouhg since the new 2008 syllabus has come out, the technical requirements aren't as hard (IHMO) as before, where you had to know practically all of the tech (scales, chords etc) for ALL of the keys! ALL OF THEM! it was ridiculous! Too much for me to handle.

The second time i did it it was still in the old syllabus but i was prepared... except i got so nervous and had memory lapses on *all* my pieces. I still passed, but not enough for ARCT (the grading mentioned above, 60 to pass, 75 minimum for ARCT or 70 in each is cofrect)

As for the theory/harmony prerequisites i *think* thye need to be completed within a year of each other? That seems a little odd to me but i think they just changed it... it used to be that you had a few years to complete it, because I had my grad 4 harmony and grade 4 history completed when i was 15 and didn't do my grade 10 piano until i was 18.

Hope this helps and good luck! Eventually i keep telling myself i'm going to go again for my grade 10.... but it's been over 7 years since the last time i tried :S

#1343988 - 01/08/10 01:42 PM Re: RCM Grade 10 Exams [Re: MordentMusic]
BruceD Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Victoria, BC
Originally Posted By: MordentMusic
[...]
As for the theory/harmony prerequisites i *think* thye need to be completed within a year of each other? That seems a little odd to me but i think they just changed it... it used to be that you had a few years to complete it, because I had my grad 4 harmony and grade 4 history completed when i was 15 and didn't do my grade 10 piano until i was 18.
[...]

The current syllabus states that

"Certificates are awarded to candidates who successfully complete the requirements for their grade.
Beginning in Grade 5 certificates are awarded after the theory co-requisites for that grade have been successfully completed. Theory co-requisites must be completed within five years of the original practical examination." (Piano Syllabus, 2008; p. 123.

Regards,
Writing from Paris until 15 May, 2014

#1344023 - 01/08/10 02:33 PM Re: RCM Grade 10 Exams [Re: BruceD]
hat Offline

Loc: In a heap of trouble
I am also doing the grade 10 RCM exam this month. :|
Which pieces are you playing, Arvendragon?

#1344057 - 01/08/10 03:28 PM Re: RCM Grade 10 Exams [Re: hat]
Arvendragon Offline

I just got the Syllabus today, and I found I needed FIVE songs (no teacher). I'm glad I had picked a song from that section to play with.

I'll be playing the Prelude and Fugue in E Flat Major (Bach, BWV 876), the Sonata in D Major (Hadyn,Hob. XVI:33), Momente Musical (Schubert, Op. 94, D870, No. 2), I've been practicing two songs from D so I guess I'll pick before the exam, and Variations in A Minor (Kabalevsky, Op. 40, No.2)

#1344071 - 01/08/10 03:56 PM Re: RCM Grade 10 Exams [Re: Arvendragon]
hat Offline

Loc: In a heap of trouble
Sounds good, I'm doing the same Haydn sonata.. it's pretty neat.
What about studies? If you don't mind me asking cool

#1348001 - 01/12/10 07:25 PM Re: RCM Grade 10 Exams [Re: hat]
gmf001 Offline

Loc: Uxbridge, ON, Canada
I'll return to the original question - "how to practise better?" and offer some ideas that I wished I had used back in the days when I did my Gr 10 and ARCT exams (though I did manage to get thru both of them in one pass!)
- Practising isn't about time spent - it's clearly about focus. I spent 10 days at a music workshop in France this summer and one of the themes discussed many times was the idea that we have to practise with specific goals in mind. So before you just dive in, think about what you are trying to achieve in a particular practise session. You will find that you can make major improvements without spending anywhere near as much time.
- for problem sections work both forward and backward from the most difficult spot to gain confidence
- remember practising and playing are two different things. Yes, as you work towards an exam or recital you have to be able to pull it all together, but even then you can focus on working on specifics. Have a large scale plan in mind - what effect are you trying to convey in certain passages and pieces. Think about the plan and layout of the entire piece. I use the idea of a roadmap with different turns and directions when I'm working with my 8-yr old daughter to pull larger pieces together (she's working toward her RCM Gr5 exam) and this helps fix a plan in place. You might come up with other things that work for you (and it might be different for different types of works).

#1348025 - 01/12/10 07:45 PM Re: RCM Grade 10 Exams [Re: gmf001]
pianogal37 Offline

RCM grade 5 at 8? That's pretty impressive.

#1348237 - 01/13/10 12:31 AM Re: RCM Grade 10 Exams [Re: gmf001]
Oz Marcus Offline

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Originally Posted By: gmf001
I'll return to the original question - "how to practise better?" and offer some ideas that I wished I had used back in the days when I did my Gr 10 and ARCT exams (though I did manage to get thru both of them in one pass!)
- Practising isn't about time spent - it's clearly about focus. I spent 10 days at a music workshop in France this summer and one of the themes discussed many times was the idea that we have to practise with specific goals in mind. So before you just dive in, think about what you are trying to achieve in a particular practise session. You will find that you can make major improvements without spending anywhere near as much time.
- for problem sections work both forward and backward from the most difficult spot to gain confidence
- remember practising and playing are two different things.

Such Sage advice! I agree completely. I read the book "Improve Your Piano Playing" by John Meffen and it was such a revelation to me. I wish that I had been taught the skills he was advocating when I was 10 rather than in my late 30's. My practice has changed as a result and a lot of what I do is more cerebral now, I think about what I am trying to achieve and what I am trying to convey and how I am going to achieve that goal. Consequently, practice is not really about playing a piece from beginning to end anymore. It is so much more than that.

M
Chopin Prelude Op28 No 15, nocturne Op48 no 1
Bach Prelude & Fuge WTC II No 12 in F minor
Aspiring to Rautavaara - Piano Sonata 2 - Fire Sermon

#1357584 - 01/25/10 09:25 AM Re: RCM Grade 10 Exams [Re: Oz Marcus]
keyboardplaying1 Offline

Loc: Winnipeg
Hey guys, you can find some really good rcm style ear tests at this youtube channel: www.youtube.com/keyboardplaying1

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
162 registered (accordeur, anrpiano, 36251, alfredo capurso, 52 invisible), 1752 Guests and 36 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74313 Members
42 Forums
153707 Topics
2253290 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Is this the room to talk about the Yamaha PSR's ?
by MacGuy
5 minutes 34 seconds ago
Where can I test a Kawai VPC-1?
by jp2011
5 minutes 41 seconds ago
Schimmel Mod. 150 - NR
by Rudy99golf
6 minutes 58 seconds ago
Practing songs vs. doing excersises
by cowchin12
23 minutes 57 seconds ago
The Art of the Sound Clip
by Jolly
Today at 02:52 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission