2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (anotherscott, Bellyman, Carey, brennbaer, busa, ChickenBrother, Barly, 1957, 10 invisible), 2,048 guests, and 308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
OP Offline
S
I still have yet to buy a weighted DP. I am on a tight budget, so I've been looking into the Privia series. Recently, on Craigslist, someone put up an ad for a PX-110 with a stand and pedal, all for $400.

It seems very enticing, but I want some extra opinions on the piano's quality other than what I have read elsewhere. Is the action good, the sound quality, the 32-note polyphony, the response, anything else that I have not mentioned?

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I wouldn't get a digital piano with less than 64 note polyphony....but that's just me.

Once you start doing any layering (piano with strings, for instance) 32 note poly is very restricting.

The norm is starting to be 128, so 32 is ancient.

Snazzy

Semper Gumby: Always flexible \:^)
K
K
I'm a beginner at piano but not to other instruments. I like the Casio Privias. They're a good starter digital with a reasonable amount of touch sensitivity (especially for the price). My one beef, and this is an area I know about, is in regards to service. There are not that many shops who work on them (at least here in Los Angeles) and parts and service docs can take a long time to get. Now, we're not Casio authorizedat at our shop so that may exacerbate the problem but be that as it may, DP's are a very small part of the Casio Universe and in my experience it shows when it comes to service.

Originally Posted by snazzyplayer
I wouldn't get a digital piano with less than 64 note polyphony....but that's just me.

Once you start doing any layering (piano with strings, for instance) 32 note poly is very restricting.

The norm is starting to be 128, so 32 is ancient.

Snazzy

+11. Plus, the 110, unless I'm mistaken, is the model under the px120 I have, which has just been replaced with the px130. So it's 2 generations under the current model, and not worth $400. Before I bought that I'd add $100 to it and get the current px130. MHO.

Mike
Casio Privia PX 120

The only thing nescessary for evil to thrive is for good men to do nothing.
[Linked Image]
C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by sirajali05
.. someone put up an ad for a PX-110 with a stand and pedal, all for $400.

The PX110 was discontinued and replaced by the PX120. that was discontinued and replaced by the PX130. The PX130 was selling a few days ago for new for $429. But you can get it any day for $499 and a 10% off deal is easy to find which puts it at $450

So you save $50 and get a used piano that is two generations old. Better to save up another $50, I think. I'd say the PX110 is worth no more than $200 at most.

Last edited by ChrisA; 01/12/10 08:41 PM.
V
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
V
I used to own the PX-310 and later the PX-320 (PX-330 on order!). Since the PX-110 sounds pretty much identical to the PX-310, I think I can offer a few insights.

The PX-110 uses the ZPI sound source as opposed to the AIF (or whatever it's called). As noted above, polyphony is 32 compared to 128 on the 320 and 330. In a band context, I found that the older ZPI generation blended better than the 320's AIF. Also, the EPs sounded more enticing. However, in a solo context using the AP source, the 320 was much more authentic and expressive. I'm hoping the 330 with its 4-layer, linear morphing will sound even better. The 310 also suffered from latency when playing chords in quick succession; this means that there would be a noticeable lag between depressing the keys and hearing the sound. I believe that the processor became slightly overwhelmed, and with only 16 notes (or less) available when using a stereo patch or a layered sound, the result was a very slight slowing down of the sound processing. Keys on the 310 were a bit "clattery" but it seemed robust enough overall.

I agree that $400 for a PX-110 is way too much.

"you don't need to have been a rabbit in order to become a veterinarian"

mabraman, 2015
G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
I agree with voxpops that $400 is too much for a used PX-110. As for the PX-110 itself, it's a decent starter piano with a good piano sample. The action on these tends to be on the heavy side and is also noisy (clakety) as the keys return to their rests. As far as the 32 note polyphony, while it is low, I don't think you'll have too much trouble with dropped notes. I use the on board accompaniment on my 575 all the time and rarely is there any trouble with sounds clipping or dropping out. Granted I don't play classical music so it could factor in there. I don't think you will have any trouble using a single sound or layering two sounds together. But if you layer and use accompaniment, notes will definately drop out. I think the ZPI sound source in the PX-110 has better sound than the AIF used in the current model. This was one reason I chose the PX-575 over the PX-320 a year ago. And yes, the electric pianos sound better on the older pianos with the ZPI sound source as well. Having said this, the piano sample is much better on the PX-130 than the older PX-110. This is where the current Privia line really shines and compares favorably with Yamaha. I have spent time playing the PX-130 and for the money, it is very nice. The keyboard action is better and much more responsive than the older PX-110 and it's a lot quiter. I would suggest you try one out.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I also own the PX 110, which I use almost exclusively along with a (very good and VERY expensive) computer filled with samples. So the piano sounds are not an issue, but they are not really *that bad* for the price (I got it for 299 GBP 3-4 years ago, before PX 130 was out and PX 120 was brand new back then). The touch IS very good, compared to many digital pianos and midi controllers I've tried! Surprisingly good in fact!

On the notes polyphony this might be an issue for more complex pieces, or if you play with strings, but other than that it won't show in 'intermediate' level pieces I think.

But, yes, $400 for a used PX-110 TODAY is a lot of money

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission