2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
42 members (bwv543, Andre Fadel, Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,172 guests, and 282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 205 of 341 1 2 203 204 205 206 207 340 341
jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by knotty
one thing JW, I'm a little surprised that you didn't recognize Scott's solo + bassline after just a couple of second. I wonder if this is holding you back.

I don't have a problem telling you what the chord progression is with what Scott was playing nor yours. I could probably write the chords out.

But if the tune is not something I often listen to, then some hint of the original melody would be needed.

Yours sounds very familiar but again, you guys do tunes I rarely ever play like Confirmation or Cherokee.

Pianoclues.com for Beginners
My Jazz Blog
Hamburg Steinway O, Nord Electro 4 HP

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by jazzwee
one thing JW, I'm a little surprised that you didn't recognize Scott's solo + bassline after just a couple of second. I wonder if this is holding you back.

I don't have a problem telling you what the chord progression is with what Scott was playing nor yours. I could probably write the chords out.

But if the tune is not something I often listen to, then some hint of the original melody would be needed.

Yours sounds very familiar but again, you guys do tunes I rarely ever play like Confirmation or Cherokee.

JW, what are the first 8 chords to Scott's tune? If you actually sit down to do it you'll know that it can't be mistaken for something else. I doubt you're taking the time to actually try it.

As for Knotty's tune, I haven't had a chance to listen to it, but if it is a bebop head I probably wouldn't know it. Is it bebop Knotty?

Recordings of my recent solo piano and piano/keyboard trio jazz standards.

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Oh how stupid of me. Yes it's pretty obvious.

My Jazz Blog

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
But here's a case where I hear this tune differently than Scott. It's actually because of the melody that I treat it differently. I'm instead thinking of common tones over several chords instead of just 'playing the changes'. And that's why playing the changes threw me off here until I just thought of the chords themselves.

I don't do it to all tunes but this one in particular I do, like the A in the melody.

My Jazz Blog

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
>> As for Knotty's tune, I haven't had a chance to listen to it, but if it is a bebop head I probably wouldn't know it. Is it bebop Knotty?
No. It's often played as a ballad, but it's one of Dave Frank's favorite tunes, and he tends to play it very fast. It's also one of my favorite cut-throat tunes, because of the treacherous difficulty and the first few measures. Enough said smile

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by scepticalforumguy

JW, I'd suggest you transcribe little bits of your own solos to see what Scott means.

I just did this and I have to say some bad habits have been ingrained here, at least in this particular tune. Some of it I explain as following the melody but clearly I've deviated here. And not consciously.

Thanks for the refocusing.

My Jazz Blog

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
But here's a case where I hear this tune differently than Scott. It's actually because of the melody that I treat it differently. I'm instead thinking of common tones over several chords instead of just 'playing the changes'. And that's why playing the changes threw me off here until I just thought of the chords themselves.

I don't do it to all tunes but this one in particular I do, like the A in the melody.

It's good that your hearing the melody when you improv... I do that too. But I'm also aware of how the melody relates to the harmony and how the harmony relates to the key. I think that if your focus is on common tones over several chords, that is probably why your lines don't connect as well to the harmony. Like the A you mention... which is an upper extension of the E-7b5, not a fundamental chord tone...or if your thinking about the key of Bb, it's 7, the leading tone which is also unstable. If you focus your ideas around those types of notes, it's not wrong, just more abstract. I like to be able to do both, and I think to pull off the abstract well it helps to firmly sense the fundamentals at all times so you can be in control enough to touch base there at least once in a while.

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
I can definitely see it in this tune. Like I said, I'm thinking common tones here mostly and that gets abstract as you said. I don't think I do that in a typical ii-V intentionally.

It definitely helps to have an outside party critique because after awhile I hear tunes a certain way and it may be habit forming instead of focusing on the harmony.

I don't think I'm out of the harmony in this tune. I just did this a moment ago.

http://www.box.com/s/vkaia0ehke2jicmpd90v

My Jazz Blog

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Yeah, sounds better. I can tell what tune it is smile. You really should try playing without harmony though, or at least play over pre-recorded harmony or bass to help you keep track and then remove the support and see how clear the form is in your lines. It's really enlightening I think and a great exercise for the ear.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

I don't think I'm out of the harmony in this tune. I just did this a moment ago.

http://www.box.com/s/vkaia0ehke2jicmpd90v

For the most part its good. But to the point, you still seem to have some quirky, for lack of a better word, leaps between voices. It's almost as if you've expended your ideas in one range and need to refresh your thoughts somewhere else, but in doing so you introduce some weird intervals BEWTEEN the chords and phrases. Do another take, but maybe pay attention to when you are leaping more than a 5th. I think there is danger, but also real beauty, in knowing how to resolve leaps of 7ths, 9ths and 11ths properly. A resolution in all cases will be up or down a note within the scale note shared with the preceding chord and the one you're landing on. But not being aware of this may lead one to 'noodle away' from the leap leaving the ear sort of hanging and then trying to latch onto the next phrase.
Seemless solos are the ones where your ears aren't asked to do more than required (within the genre, I suppose)

Last edited by scepticalforumguy; 12/30/11 09:42 PM. Reason: added "chords and"

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Scott Coletta
Yeah, sounds better. I can tell what tune it is smile. You really should try playing without harmony though, or at least play over pre-recorded harmony or bass to help you keep track and then remove the support and see how clear the form is in your lines. It's really enlightening I think and a great exercise for the ear.

I still don't know what Knotty's tune is! I listened to it a few times, but the bass frankly seems a bit weird, so I'm not sure if he's landing on chord tones on the one and three, or if there is something else going on.
Scott, since you know the tune, maybe you could post a version of the bass line w/solo on top?

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Knotty's tune wasn't easy for me. After listening to it several times fragments of the melody just started popping in my head, so I stopped it and sang the fragments out to get it. And since I'm used to it as a ballad it took a minute for the pieces to fit together. If you still haven't figured it out by tomorrow I'll try recording it. I'm done for today. smile

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Scep, your specific comment is very good. I will take that advice seriously and give it another try.

My Jazz Blog

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

I think this is a really cool game, so I'd like to play.
A slightly more osbcure tune, but quite famous nonetheless. Listen to the one without bass first and see if you can guess.

By itself
http://www.box.com/s/uz8vntftmb5afn1nyx2x

With bass:
http://www.box.com/s/cz45dmkte22kq6jts54g

Nope. Still can't get it. I'm not sure I understand the bass line to be honest, and the melodic fragments don't bring any melody that I'm familiar with to mind. It sounds like the walking at times isn't within a key and you make some odd leaps to what I assume is a root note a number of other times that makes me think that maybe you're actually not playing the roots of the chords in on the one and three. Were you trying to obfuscate the bass line as well?
In any case I'll be really embarrassed if this piece turns out to be Stella again. wink

C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C

A slightly more osbcure tune, but quite famous nonetheless. Listen to the one without bass first and see if you can guess.

By itself
http://www.box.com/s/uz8vntftmb5afn1nyx2x

With bass:
http://www.box.com/s/cz45dmkte22kq6jts54g

Cool groove Knots. I just sent you an email.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Cus got it.
Not stella! :-)

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
For another perspective, here's my take on Knotty's tune.

Lines only:
http://www.box.com/s/6z53jkb8emeb42nujeji

Lines w/ bass:
http://www.box.com/s/fjsjpx8ad10uf0tv588j

Last edited by Scott Coletta; 12/31/11 11:16 AM. Reason: bad link
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
nice line Scott.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Thanks. I listened to yours again and I think mine sounds pretty much the same. smile

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Great discussion guys! One that I look forward to participating in even next year.
On that note; Happy New Year!!

Page 205 of 341 1 2 203 204 205 206 207 340 341

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission