Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 113 of 226 < 1 2 ... 111 112 113 114 115 ... 225 226 >
Topic Options
#1765929 - 10/06/11 04:10 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Intermediate/Advanced Players [Re: jjo]
chrisbell Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Stockholm, Sweden
Originally Posted By: jjo
I don't think bands need some extensive patter; just a word or two can do the trick.
But, what if you're bad at it? smile
The debate; talk or not, has been around a long time. Is jazz an art form ("the music should speak for itself . . . " "if they (the audience) don't get it, they wont get it") or is it entertainment?
In ye olde days, there was an MC, listen to those old recordings At The Blue Note.

I'm not sure myself, which category I belong to, at some concerts, I don't want to hear the band crack some jokes, or even talk to me, I want to hear them play (like at a classical concert).
However if it's in in a club it's another ballgame. Last week I went to listen to Bobo Stenson's trio (man, what a trio!!) at a jazz club, Bobo was talking between each number, commenting on his compatriots playing, "next tune is based on . . ", etc.

I never play anything the same way once.

https://soundcloud.com/chrisb/sets
https://www.youtube.com/user/djboing/videos

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#1765931 - 10/06/11 04:14 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Intermediate/Advanced Players [Re: KlinkKlonk]
chrisbell Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: KlinkKlonk
Hey something I've been working on lately is slow medium swing bpm: 110 - 120
This is an annoying tempo because the eight notes feels so slow. Have you guys deployed any strategies for mixing up it up with double tempo and triplets? I tend to drift into triplets and becomes a mess. How does triplets and double tempo runs works within the bigger picture of tension and release?!

Mix in sixteenths as well, start on the 2 and and play over the barlines.

#1765964 - 10/06/11 05:08 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Intermediate/Advanced Players [Re: chrisbell]
beeboss Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: uk south
Originally Posted By: chrisbell

However if it's in in a club it's another ballgame. Last week I went to listen to Bobo Stenson's trio (man, what a trio!!) at a jazz club, Bobo was talking between each number, commenting on his compatriots playing, "next tune is based on . . ", etc.

Lucky you. Bobo is one my favourites.
I remember I saw Miles play at one gig in the 80's and he didn't even bother to face the audience. Luckily I had seats in the choir stalls so I got a great view of him.

#1765989 - 10/06/11 05:48 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Intermediate/Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: So. California
As far as "talkies", I have to admit I'm one who's bad at it. And at first, just to try it out, I let the singer talk over our playing, even. But it's just not my style. What I do though is talk to the audience a lot during the break and that's really what allows me to get their input.

So many times, my mic is unused, perhaps until the very end when I announce the last tune and say thanks. I don't announce the names of tune. Sometimes the singer will do it if he/she is involved.

I'm very comfortable with the audience though and I will often wave at people I know and I think we're pretty relaxed. But my leaning is towards the Bill Evans way at the moment.

#1765995 - 10/06/11 05:54 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Intermediate/Advanced Players [Re: KlinkKlonk]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

This is an annoying tempo because the eight notes feels so slow. Have you guys deployed any strategies for mixing up it up with double tempo and triplets? I tend to drift into triplets and becomes a mess. How does triplets and double tempo runs works within the bigger picture of tension and release?!

From what I was taught -- at this tempo, you'd have to swing really hard. Straight playing is not going to work. And then mix in the 16ths so you get a balance of straight vs. hard swing feel. Also very legato at this tempo on the hard swing. 16ths can be detached. I think the tension and release will come from mixing a straight (16ths) vs. hard swing feel. Stick to too much of one or the other and I feel it starts to sound the same. I'm also thinking now of maybe having more accent control at the slow tempos (more variations).

#1765997 - 10/06/11 05:58 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Intermediate/Advanced Players [Re: knotty]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: knotty
I did not notice. I didn't know you were a singer!

There's the mic for the singer in front of the band, but I guess this was during the solo so the singer stepped aside.

Me sing? LOL. This is why I improvise (to compensate). I lost my voice at puberty and never got it back. I did sing before that. wink

#1766016 - 10/06/11 06:21 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Intermediate/Advanced Players [Re: chrisbell]
KlinkKlonk Offline

Originally Posted By: chrisbell

Mix in sixteenths as well, start on the 2 and and play over the barlines.

yea that works, good concrete tip!

#1766024 - 10/06/11 06:30 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Intermediate/Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
Jazz+ Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Banned
What's the 'Charloff pinch' ?

#1766026 - 10/06/11 06:31 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Intermediate/Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
KlinkKlonk Offline

Originally Posted By: jazzwee
From what I was taught -- at this tempo, you'd have to swing really hard. Straight playing is not going to work. And then mix in the 16ths so you get a balance of straight vs. hard swing feel. Also very legato at this tempo on the hard swing.

And not mixing the 8th lines with too many retarded triplets. Listening back to recordings they're all over the place.

[ I think the tension and release will come from mixing a straight (16ths) vs. hard swing feel. Stick to too much of one or the other and I feel it starts to sound the same. I'm also thinking now of maybe having more accent control at the slow tempos (more variations).

That's what I think aswell. Not sure how to achieve it. Any ideas for solos to transcribe?

#1766035 - 10/06/11 06:43 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Intermediate/Advanced Players [Re: Jazz+]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Jazz+

Actually it's Chaloff, from Madame Chaloff.

I think that in general it means the use of finger articulation (finger pull). From this book that I have (Contemporary Piano Technique - by Stephany Tiernan -- which is based on Madame Chaloff's teachings), it starts off with finger articulation before it goes into arm and wrist.

It's just another variation of an articulation that could bring out a different sound. Typically I think of finger pull as something done at piano/pianissimo but here it's a high velocity move.

#1766040 - 10/06/11 06:49 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Intermediate/Advanced Players [Re: KlinkKlonk]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

From what I was taught -- at this tempo, you'd have to swing really hard. Straight playing is not going to work. And then mix in the 16ths so you get a balance of straight vs. hard swing feel. Also very legato at this tempo on the hard swing.

And not mixing the 8th lines with too many retarded triplets. Listening back to recordings they're all over the place.

[ I think the tension and release will come from mixing a straight (16ths) vs. hard swing feel. Stick to too much of one or the other and I feel it starts to sound the same. I'm also thinking now of maybe having more accent control at the slow tempos (more variations).

That's what I think aswell. Not sure how to achieve it. Any ideas for solos to transcribe?

The problem is that most high end artists will probably play these at triplet sixteenths to full 16ths with phrasing variations of slower notes for short moments so most of us probably can't play that.

So I'd have to think...

I've had a lot of tunes like this lately too and I probably overdo the triplet 16ths too.

#1766075 - 10/06/11 07:48 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Intermediate/Advanced Players [Re: Jazz+]
beeboss Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

The way I was shown it is that you start with say your 2nd finder extended and virtually flat on a key and then, when completely relaxed, you very sharply pull the finger into your palm. If you do it fast enough on a real piano you can get the note to sound twice with the single pull, this is good.
At least so I was told.

JW - of course Chaloff not Charloff

#1766117 - 10/06/11 09:05 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Intermediate/Advanced Players [Re: beeboss]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: beeboss

The way I was shown it is that you start with say your 2nd finder extended and virtually flat on a key and then, when completely relaxed, you very sharply pull the finger into your palm. If you do it fast enough on a real piano you can get the note to sound twice with the single pull, this is good.
At least so I was told.

JW - of course Chaloff not Charloff

The other point was that you breath out while you do it. Reminds me of martial arts (Hai!). I guess it's supposed to prevent tension. So basically the initial exercises were to do this at high velocity. Stacatto at first and forte. On the video it looked like a very fast flick.

Supposedly this came from the Russian school of technique.

It's interesting because it's something to add to the toolbox.

#1771737 - 10/16/11 06:41 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Intermediate/Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Everyone's too quiet so here's Solar...comments welcome. It's short.

EDIT- I did a Take 2...some things I tried didn't work out so well but there's mix of approaches.

Solar
http://www.box.net/shared/vy0l7rghqpnxusjiyest

Edited by jazzwee (10/16/11 11:30 PM)

#1771959 - 10/17/11 03:14 AM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Intermediate/Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
cubop Offline

Silver Supporter until Dec 28 2012

Loc: Norway
Very nice to have Madame Chaloff brought to my attention. I must admit I have never heard of her before. But I know a good thing when I see one, so I used Google, found some interesting info, and a reference to an old thread on Pianoworld. Reopened the thread, ordered the Tiernan book and DVD, and will soon find out if the trick mentioned here work on my old upright, which is a little slow on repetitions.
Thanks for some really useful info.

#1771993 - 10/17/11 05:56 AM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Intermediate/Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
beeboss Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Sounding good JW. You are really improving at a fast rate. So much more rhythmically assured than before, and many more ideas in your playing. good work.

#1772081 - 10/17/11 09:25 AM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Intermediate/Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
knotty Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Bethesda, MD (Washington D.C)
nice playing JW. Some quick scales here and there. You're style is developing.

Perhaps I'll post one of Solar sometimes. Probably slower and I still need like a month of work. But I might. It's a great tune!

#1772160 - 10/17/11 11:43 AM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Intermediate/Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
chrisbell Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Nice JW! As the other's are saying; well done, good work!

#1772174 - 10/17/11 12:09 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Intermediate/Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Well at least you guys came back to life! ...and THANKS!

I thought it was crazy to try those fast lines at this tempo. I wasn't intending to post this so that was good for courage smile

BTW - faster playing is coming from Chopin 10/1 (thanks Chris!). Fingers are more surefooted and if I can just relax a bit more I could probably maintain it. Although this tempo really pushes my limit here. That was awfully fast for me.

Beeboss, I can hear too many rhythmic problems though. It really irritates me to hear it. Especially when when the legato suffers for a moment. I guess technical problems show up more at higher tempos. At least I'm hearing the problems so that's good.

Knotty - what is my style developing into? smile You probably know it more as an observer. I'm too close to see.

#1772178 - 10/17/11 12:16 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Intermediate/Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
Scott Coletta Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Chicago
Jazzwee, good stuff. Things are coming together in there. For my taste, I still hear alot of notes that seem to be getting emphasized that don't feel right... either by being emphasized at the wrong time or by just not being good notes in the first place, except maybe as passing notes. Hard to pinpoint... but something to be aware of maybe? Are you familiar with Jimmy Amadie's Jazz Improv book?
http://www.amazon.com/Jazz-Improv-How-Pl...7586&sr=8-1
I often suggest his other book on harmonic foundations, but this one's good too. Gives an in depth look into tension and release. I think your ideas are definitely becoming more structured and directional, I'd just suggest trying to get a little more solid in giving shape to the underlying harmonies by staying closer to chord tones more frequently, or emphasizing them more. Just my opinion of course smile.

By the way, have you ever thought of just recording solo lines RH with no comping or backing track? This can really help bring to light how well your ideas are in sync with the changes.

#1772191 - 10/17/11 12:41 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Intermediate/Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Hey Scott, thanks for the detailed comments!

If there's anything about how I play I try not to emphasize notes by accident. I'm really conscious about chord tones but sometimes I will intentionally reharm (hit an extension) for tension and hopefully resolve it to the right chord tones. But I didn't even do that much of that here though I remember doing it later in the recording. If you could point out what you mean though, I'll see if we're talking about the same thing. I have a teacher who'll hammer me on wrong notes so believe me I'm conscious of it.

#1772193 - 10/17/11 12:42 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Intermediate/Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
Scott Coletta Offline
500 Post Club Member

Here's something for you guys to chew up for me...

http://www.box.net/shared/82pters3oa18yh939l9c

These are some cuts with my trio that we're trying to decide on for our demo. We're thinking maybe five tracks. Which one's do you guys like?

#1772195 - 10/17/11 12:47 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Intermediate/Advanced Players [Re: cubop]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: cubop
Very nice to have Madame Chaloff brought to my attention. I must admit I have never heard of her before. But I know a good thing when I see one, so I used Google, found some interesting info, and a reference to an old thread on Pianoworld. Reopened the thread, ordered the Tiernan book and DVD, and will soon find out if the trick mentioned here work on my old upright, which is a little slow on repetitions.
Thanks for some really useful info.

Cubop, make sure to watch the DVD or might misinterpret what's being said in the book. The technique is based on finger motion rather than arm. But at the "high velocity" that the exercises are based on, the force is really coming from the hand muscles to twitch that fast. So if overdone, I found that you start to rely on the arm tendons.

I don't think the technique discussed in the book is an end-all. But it's good for the arsenal/toolbox. Something to make what I call a "pearly sound".

#1772224 - 10/17/11 01:40 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Intermediate/Advanced Players [Re: Scott Coletta]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Scott Coletta
Here's something for you guys to chew up for me...

http://www.box.net/shared/82pters3oa18yh939l9c

These are some cuts with my trio that we're trying to decide on for our demo. We're thinking maybe five tracks. Which one's do you guys like?

Some great stylings there Scott! You guys are going to sound great.

Some tunes are similar so I guess you don't want to duplicate. Footprints and Green Dolphin have the same starting progression. And Softly vs. Bemsha is the same feel so one of each. So you'll have 6 left and I'd rather not bias you because I know all the tunes except for the 1st one so I will gravitate to what I know.

#1772225 - 10/17/11 01:42 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Intermediate/Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
Scott Coletta Offline
500 Post Club Member

Jazzwee, at the risk of making no sense, here's an attempt at clarifying what I mean. I transcribed your first 5 bars of improv on Solar. Then I re-wrote those bars a couple of times with some alternatives that I think would've worked better.

http://www.box.net/shared/1ne6pcyzrhgs8am6bl0s

Instead of landing on Eb on beat one of Gm7 I chose two different ways to resolve on D there which is a stronger way of suggesting G minor since it's a chord tone, but then you can go off on the extensions and in sounds more stable.

Then instead of landing on B natural on the first beat of the C7 I chose Bb, which meant I had to change the last note in the Gm7 measure. In my first option I went with G, which is definitely stable because it's part of both a Gm and C7. In the second option I went with B natural, which is of course unstable for both chords, but it's safe to do that on a weak beat like the "and" of four. Whereas your choice of B natural on beat 1 of the C7 measure is strange because your ear wants to hear C7 there because it's the down beat of the new harmony.

Also in the C7 measure I changed your F on the "and" of 1 to an F#. When paired with the A that follows it, it sets up for a strong resolution to the G on beat 4, which then I followed with an E to more strongly suggest C7 as well as create a stronger movement to the D and finally C in the Fmaj.

#1772229 - 10/17/11 01:47 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Intermediate/Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
Scott Coletta Offline
500 Post Club Member

Thanks for listening Jazzwee, good points about the styles and similarities of the tunes. I'm thinking I like Softly As In a Morning Sunrise over Bemsha Swing. And being that Stella, Bye Bye Blackbird, and Minority are all swing, I'm leaning towards Bye Bye Blackbird and/or Minority.

#1772230 - 10/17/11 01:48 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Intermediate/Advanced Players [Re: Scott Coletta]
chrisbell Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I liked several, but what annoyed me was that I found it hard to hear the piano! It sounds like the mike was close to the drummer. If you want to do a demo I think you need to re-think and re-do with the piano more in focus.

#1772235 - 10/17/11 02:06 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Intermediate/Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
cubop Offline

Silver Supporter until Dec 28 2012

Loc: Norway
Jazzwee, thanks for feedback on my Chaloff post. I have been studying Russian school technique for more than 6 months with good results, but all good additions to the toolbox are appreciated. I tried the fast repetition thing with a somewhat modified technique, and the result was amazing. Faster, more control, better sound than what I did before. And with no strain on finger and hand. If the rest of the method is that good, I have something to look forward to.

#1772236 - 10/17/11 02:06 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Intermediate/Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Scott, I haven't read it completely but just note that I'm not playing Cm7 on the 1st chord. I'm play C maj/min. So I am playing a B natural. That's also the chord I'm playing on the LH.

#1772244 - 10/17/11 02:13 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Intermediate/Advanced Players [Re: Scott Coletta]
knotty Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Bethesda, MD (Washington D.C)
Jazzwee, at the risk of making no sense, here's an attempt at clarifying what I mean. I transcribed your first 5 bars of improv on Solar. Then I re-wrote those bars a couple of times with some alternatives that I think would've worked better.

http://www.box.net/shared/1ne6pcyzrhgs8am6bl0s

Instead of landing on Eb on beat one of Gm7 I chose two different ways to resolve on D there which is a stronger way of suggesting G minor since it's a chord tone, but then you can go off on the extensions and in sounds more stable.

Then instead of landing on B natural on the first beat of the C7 I chose Bb, which meant I had to change the last note in the Gm7 measure. In my first option I went with G, which is definitely stable because it's part of both a Gm and C7. In the second option I went with B natural, which is of course unstable for both chords, but it's safe to do that on a weak beat like the "and" of four. Whereas your choice of B natural on beat 1 of the C7 measure is strange because your ear wants to hear C7 there because it's the down beat of the new harmony.

Also in the C7 measure I changed your F on the "and" of 1 to an F#. When paired with the A that follows it, it sets up for a strong resolution to the G on beat 4, which then I followed with an E to more strongly suggest C7 as well as create a stronger movement to the D and finally C in the Fmaj.

that's dedication right there Scott!

Somewhat of a rule of thumb for me is :
1. Where does the line start?
2. where does it end?
3. does it have a nice rest?

Generally speaking, and obviously everything is possible
1. off beat
2. strong beat.
3. A measure or more.

That said, I believe in very long lines. 8 measures or so, and playing over the bar line. But that's not contradictory to the 3 rules above.

So I like how you "fixed" the line. I'd actually land the line on beat 1 of the Fmaj instead of 1&. That would give a clean ending followed by a nice rest.

Page 113 of 226 < 1 2 ... 111 112 113 114 115 ... 225 226 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kawai Console
by landorrano
09/17/14 03:48 PM
Kawai VPC1 - What do I need to start?
by Gerardo Melara
09/17/14 03:32 PM
When interpretation varies greatly?
by 3times2
09/17/14 01:13 PM
Official: Fryderyk Chopin died of TB!
by bennevis
09/17/14 12:06 PM
Teacher wants me to play a "loud" piece too. (suggestions?)
by Tides
09/17/14 11:47 AM
Who's Online
144 registered (accordeur, acdyer, AEMontoya, Adypiano, 3times2, 43 invisible), 1505 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76231 Members
42 Forums
157582 Topics
2314696 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission