2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
23 members (AlkansBookcase, cmoody31, dh371, Fried Chicken, 20/20 Vision, admodios, clothearednincompo, crab89, 6 invisible), 1,235 guests, and 304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
E
Evaldas Offline OP
OP Offline
E
Ok, I'm really sorry if you think that it's inappropriate for me to post this here, but I just couldn't resist sharing! I came upon this video today http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1fgo7hp-Ko of this piano virtuose Yuja Wang and I think it's amazing, I just can't get enough!
What do you think?
I wish I could play like this... I'm really really jealous.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Awesome! She makes it look so effortless.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Her technique is second to none and rivals that of any pianist I've ever heard. I've had the chance to hear her live three times now (solo recital, Prok 2 concerto with Dutoit, as well as the bflat minor Tchaikovsky) and have met her once. Twice she played the Mozart-Volodos as an encore and the other encore was Flight of the Bumblebee... Yuja Wang/Bumblebee
She's just a tiny little thing, but she sure gets one heck of a big sound out of the piano. Her debut recording on DG came out last April just a week before I heard her with the Tchaikovsky. It was after that concert that I met her, which was fun, since she'd been on my Facebook friend's list for a few months, and so, when I introduced myself she knew who I was before I even told her my name.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Evaldas
Ok, I'm really sorry if you think that it's inappropriate for me to post this here, but I just couldn't resist sharing! I came upon this video today http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1fgo7hp-Ko of this piano virtuose Yuja Wang and I think it's amazing, I just can't get enough!
What do you think?
I wish I could play like this... I'm really really jealous.

Agreed. Ms. Wang is an amazing; only recently graduated from Curtis and already her own record with DG. Amazing accomplishment for someone so young.

E
Evaldas Offline OP
OP Offline
E
Can someone name more piano virtuosos smile? (Female preferably...)

A
A

Valentina Lisitsa is another younger one who is technically amazing.

And then there is the absolute master... Martha Argerich. Swooooon smile

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Triryche

I'm sorry, but she's a circus act.

Last edited by stores; 01/14/10 05:40 PM.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

♪ ≠ $

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by stores

At least you are consistent in your views stores, but the question was who are some other virtuosos. She either is, or isn't, and it appears that she is, whether you like what she stands for or how she markets herself or not.

Or are you suggesting her technical abilities are not at the virtuoso level? If that is the case, it might be prudent to say it in such a way, and then explain why.

Recordings of my recent solo piano and piano/keyboard trio jazz standards.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
[/quote]
Or are you suggesting her technical abilities are not at the virtuoso level? If that is the case, it might be prudent to say it in such a way, and then explain why. [/quote]

Don't hold your breath.

1995 Baldwin L grand
2001 Baldwin Hamilton upright
Yamaha S90 synthesizer
www.larrylarsonpiano.com
YouTubeChannel www.youtube.com/LarryLarsonPiano
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
This doesn't seems to be a "circus act" playing...

http://www.youtube.com/user/LolaAstanova#p/u/4/tou784DGrss

ps: although at 3:03->3:06 sounds a little different to me...

N
N
al-mahed, thought I'd share this as well. Same piece but they sound different. Is it the recording?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvm2ZsRv3C8

Nguyen - Student Pianist
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Did I miss something? Did I write more than I thought I did? No. I simply said she's a circus act. There's not much doubt about that.

♪ ≠ $

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Did I miss something? Did I write more than I thought I did? No. I simply said she's a circus act. There's not much doubt about that.

Then yes, you missed something. Pay attention to the question posed next time.

Recordings of my recent solo piano and piano/keyboard trio jazz standards.

N
N
Does it benefit anyone in anyway expressing this kind of opinion in public? You’re entitled to your own opinions, yes. But show respect if you want some in return.

Nguyen - Student Pianist
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Enjoyed. Thanks for positing.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
[/quote] But show respect if you want some in return. [/quote]

Don't hold your breath.

1995 Baldwin L grand
Yamaha S90 synthesizer
www.larrylarsonpiano.com
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Nguyen
Does it benefit anyone in anyway expressing this kind of opinion in public? You’re entitled to your own opinions, yes. But show respect if you want some in return.

Someone asked if I was suggesting something, when, in fact, I simply wrote, "I'm sorry, but she's a circus act". My comment here (which was not, in any way, disrespectful) simply says, "Don't read between the lines. I said what I said and that's that." I don't particularly care whether my opinion of her benefits anyone else, or not. She's a circus act, pure and simple. She does nothing special (outside of adding ridiculous theatrics at times). Take a trip to most any major university with a good music school and you'll hear the majority of performance majors there playing the same repertoire. So, she's on Youtube...ummm ok, great...good for her. Speak to me through the music and I'll pay attention. Until then, if I want to see a pianist jumping off the bench for effect, I'll watch Victor Borge.

♪ ≠ $

J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by Larry Larson
But show respect if you want some in return.

Don't hold your breath.

stores states facts, not opinions smile , at least, according to stores.

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
N
N
…I don't particularly care whether my opinion of her benefits anyone else, or not. She's a circus act, pure and simple. She does nothing special (outside of adding ridiculous theatrics at times)… if I want to see a pianist jumping off the bench for effect, I'll watch Victor Borge.
You may have forgotten and I’d like to remind you. This place is called ABF (Adult Beginner Forum). You may not be an AB in its true sense, but many of us, I and probably thousands more members and non-members included, look up to her and some others for inspirations (I’ll look up Victor Borge when I have a chance). We gather here for motivation, inspiration, supports and share our love for music. That's what this place is about, promote and inspire love/music. If you think your comments have no weight on us, please think again. Enuff said.

Nguyen - Student Pianist
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hey, all this text because I disagree with you?

I think she plays pretty well, wish I could play like her, and I really didn't see any "circus act" on her playing that particular piece.

If at the circus I might find a good looking woman playing so well the piano I'll surely buy a ticket thumb

Someone asked if I was suggesting something, when, in fact, I simply wrote, "I'm sorry, but she's a circus act". My comment here (which was not, in any way, disrespectful) simply says, "Don't read between the lines. I said what I said and that's that." I don't particularly care whether my opinion of her benefits anyone else, or not. She's a circus act, pure and simple. She does nothing special (outside of adding ridiculous theatrics at times). Take a trip to most any major university with a good music school and you'll hear the majority of performance majors there playing the same repertoire. So, she's on Youtube...ummm ok, great...good for her. Speak to me through the music and I'll pay attention. Until then, if I want to see a pianist jumping off the bench for effect, I'll watch Victor Borge.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Well, I think it is not the recording, maybe different notes, or a different fingering pattern. I think that was different notes... I cannot say whether it is an original interpretation or a mistake, anyway I found the rendition sweet.

al-mahed, thought I'd share this as well. Same piece but they sound different. Is it the recording?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvm2ZsRv3C8

M
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
M
Dear God I want to be a circus act...thank you.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by jotur
But show respect if you want some in return.

Don't hold your breath.

stores states facts, not opinions smile , at least, according to stores.

Cathy

You're quite right, and thank you. Fact one...she's a circus act. If she had anything to say with the music outside of playing the notes then she wouldn't need to draw attention to herself with the theatrics (see her Rach 2nd sonata). Fact two...you'll find the majority of performance majors at any good music school playing the same repertoire (and not a single one would dare her little bench jumping act). Fact three...She's on Youtube (wow!) Fact four...it concerns me not, whether you agree with my opinion of her.

♪ ≠ $

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Fact one.. if a person had anything to say with their opinions they wouldn't need to draw attention to themselves with the theatrics of representing their opinions as facts.

Fact two... you will find the majority of children at any good playground playing the same repertoire of social skills (and not a single one would dare refer to someone like Lang Lang as an "abomination" or to Lola Astanova as "pathetic").

Fact three... Lola's on YouTube (wow!)

Fact four... it does concern me to treat all human beings as having dignity and as worthy of respect.

1995 Baldwin L grand
Yamaha S90 synthesizer
www.larrylarsonpiano.com
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Fact one.. if a person had anything to say with their opinions they wouldn't need to draw attention to themselves with the theatrics of representing their opinions as facts.

Fact two... you will find the majority of children at any good playground playing the same repertoire of social skills (and not a single one would dare refer to someone like Lang Lang as an "abomination" or to Lola Astanova as "pathetic").

Fact three... Lola's on YouTube (wow!)

Fact four... it does concern me to treat all human beings as having dignity and as worthy of respect.

You know, really, Larry, originally, I simply stated my opinion, and you (as well as someone else,) asked me to elaborate, so really, YOU, asked me to draw attention to my opinion. As to your second point about children not knowing what's pathetic or an abomination...you're right, I'm sure, because they simply live in blissful ignorance still (and thank God for that).
As to your last point, I, too, believe in treating others the same way, however, when one chooses to defile that which so many (myself included) hold dear and sacred to fulfill your own agenda, then, yes, that's pathetic and an abomination. Now, if you (or anyone else here) feels disrespected by anything I've said, then you, certainly, need to learn to not let one's opinion, or the stating of some facts that you might not agree with, bother you so badly. My replies have not been directed at anyone personally. If you like Lang Lang, or Lola, then, hey, more power to you. It doesn't bother me one bit, because I can't take anyone seriously that approves of either.

♪ ≠ $

I think Claire Huangci qualifies: killer technique, young and (therefore?) having a penchant for flashy encores and, to a lesser degree, flashy programs. When I saw her in November, her encores were the Horowitz/Bizet Carmen Variations and the Volodos Turkish March.

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mark...
Dear God I want to be a circus act...thank you.

That made me laugh. I want to be in Lola's circus. I'm afraid of heights, so the tightrope is out. I'm unfamiliar with elephants and tigers. I'm too shy to be a clown. I could juggle, as long as there were no more than 2 balls, and I could ride a unicycle but only if they hooked 2 of them up together.. Maybe I could be Lola's page turner.

1995 Baldwin L grand
Yamaha S90 synthesizer
www.larrylarsonpiano.com
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Scores, I don't feel disrespected by you, I was thinking more of Lola and Lang Lang. You refer to their agendas. I guess I'm a little more hesitant to think I know what other people's agendas are, even though I do it for a living. Heck, I don't even know what my own agenda is half the time.

Maybe the issue is the use of language. I don't know your agenda, and I don't know what's in your heart. But maybe be aware that when you say you "can't take anyone seriously who approves of either [Lang Lang and Lola]", the probable effect is that the person you can't take seriously may assume you are being dismissive, condescending and disrespectful.

I'll try to resist the impulse to make that assumption. I think your responses to me have been thoughtful, and if you didn't have at least a little respect, you wouldn't have taken the time to reply.

And I do have respect for you. You probably have more knowledge about music in your little finger than I have total. As Nguyen said, most of us here are beginners that want to learn about music. The forum experts and gurus who get the most respect are those whose language demonstrates grace, respect and humility. And they take even us beginners seriously. Abrasive provocative language draws attention to the poster instead of to the music, the very thing you say "showy" artists are doing.

Getting back to the music, I really do want to know, from knowledgeable forum members, whether, apart from the showmanship, Lola is a great piano player. In other words, if someone qualified to judge technical pianistic ability were to just hear a recording of her music, or maybe just watch her hands, what would the objective critique be of her playing. Maybe that should be a separate topic.

1995 Baldwin L grand
Yamaha S90 synthesizer
www.larrylarsonpiano.com
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
There's a difference between commenting about a pianist who's out there, and doesn't post here, and commenting about people who do post here.

If I was to say "Lang Lang's recital was horrible. He was a circus act," that would be my critical opinion. If I said "That Chopin nocturn posted by PW member X was awful, had no feeling, and you should have practiced more," then that would be a bit insensitive, and rude.

By the way, I can't stand Lang Lang, and I think he is a circus act. On the other hand, there are people I have a lot of respect for who like him.

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member

Some may not like her because of the way she dresses...but she certainly has the chops. smile

Close only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades, and nuclear weapons.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I don't feel qualified to judge Lola's technical ability, but I would be interested to know what those who are qualified think of her playing ability, apart for the controversial stylistic elements. In other words, if qualified piano contest judges just heard an audio of her playing, or a video of just her hands playing, what would they say? I thought about starting a separate topic to ask that question, but I don't want to start another fight about whether she's a circus act. Maybe I'll do it anyway at some point, and let the moderators deal with the mud slinging.

Oops, I just realized I posted a similar post in this thread already. I won't delete this one, maybe it being repeated will cause someone to give their opinion. (about her PLAYING)

Last edited by Larry Larson; 01/16/10 01:57 PM.

1995 Baldwin L grand
Yamaha S90 synthesizer
www.larrylarsonpiano.com
Such a heated debate, I even felt compelled to jump right in the middle. I think the source of animosity seems to be Lola's controversial artistic style, which I think is genuine. I have her CD where as you say there are no visuals, just the sound. So far I am immensely impressed, her Chopin seems to have a golden tone that is a rarity, and yes, it reminded me of you know who (Horwitzian will surely know) I love her phrasing, her detailed use of pedal and I think her technique is on the money. I personally like the eccentric movements and think that it's fascinating and refreshing to watch her. Most pianists don't move as much, but hey everyone is different. What some have referred to as "circus" act I think is genuine expression. With Lang Lang I don't feel that what his does comes from within. I can't explain why but when I watch and listen to him I feel that his "faces" are made for the sake of being showy, and his "emotions" are dishonest and not a reflection of him feeling the music. That makes me question him as an artist. However I feel differently about Lola's theatrics. I "buy" her showmanship for some reason. I feel that it's honest. Just my two cents.

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Guldesque
[...] (Horwitzian will surely know) [...]

Indeed I do, and that's why I think she's excellent. Other than that she's a babe. grin

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I've already stated how I feel, but I wonder how many would feel differently about her if she were a man. How many would feel differently if Lang were a woman? My sentiments wouldn't change at all, but I'm curious.
I do hope, in response to the two posts above this one, that neither of you are comparing her to, arguably, the greatest pianist to ever walk upon the face of this earth.

♪ ≠ $

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
[...]
I do hope, in response to the two posts above this one, that neither of you are comparing her to, arguably, the greatest pianist to ever walk upon the face of this earth.

No one said she was better.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Oh I know (and thank God). I just am a little repulsed that she'd even be mentioned in the same breath (then again I don't mention many OTHER pianists in the same breath).

♪ ≠ $

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Oh I know (and thank God). I just am a little repulsed that she'd even be mentioned in the same breath (then again I don't mention many OTHER pianists in the same breath).

Look, I'm sorry you don't have as high opinion of her playing as others, but you've made your point at least twice.

FYI, don't expect me to become LolaAstanovian anytime soon. laugh

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission