2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
61 members (36251, 20/20 Vision, anotherscott, bcalvanese, 1957, beeboss, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, 10 invisible), 1,463 guests, and 300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 195 of 341 1 2 193 194 195 196 197 340 341
jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
At the jam, one group played Caravan but just vamped on the C7b9 for the solos. Now here it's a shame not to play the whole thing. It's not that hard.

Take 5 is harder to comp with the B section, but once you figure it out, even that B section isn't that hard. Though admitedly I did Take 5 at a jam for the very first time and I couldn't play anything on the B section. smile It's hard when you have barely 10 seconds to analyze a tune.

Pianoclues.com for Beginners
My Jazz Blog
Hamburg Steinway O, Nord Electro 4 HP

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
yeah. You can go either way. Just saying I believe that's how it's played on the landmark album. A quick Desmond Solo followed by a long drum solo. That's how we do it too. It's a fairly boring tune, and I never look forward to it. But it always gets called...

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Crowd loves it though. I've got the audience specifically saying we did a great job in it. So I guess they like something about it.

It's easy to run out of ideas on Take 5 for me but at least the sax can run long notes through it and not be so rhythmic.

I might see if I can play outside on Take 5 for a little tension. Haven't tried that yet but it's a minor vamp like So What. I was wavering on whether to play this again at my next gig.

My Jazz Blog

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Some days ago I posted Bye Bye Blackbird I recorded "at first sight". I didn't know the tune before and someone just asked me to play it.

So just for comparison here's another version. What's different here is I listened to Keith Jarrett play this over the last couple of days and then I played it.

It's about the same tempo as what Jarrett did.

Bye Bye Blackbird
http://www.box.com/s/ptkbnzclfijdl5sr81bc

My Jazz Blog

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Jazzwee, I like what you're doing on Bye Bye Blackbird up until about 1:10. Very nice melodic ideas and space. And it has it's moments after that as well. But to me, there's a lot of it that just doesn't sound like the changes. I might have mentioned this before, but have you tried recording yourself playing over the changes without comping, then remove the backing track and see if you can still hear the changes in your lines? Also, I'm curious what chords you played in the head during bars 17-20? They sound good, but I don't play it that way. Got my changes from the real book, so they're probably not right.

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Scott, I was using the chords on my iRealB app. I didn't check the Real Book version on chords but on iRealB it has that chromatic chord sequence that I used.

As far as whether I'm making the changes. Absolutely making specific choices here. I was following Jarrett's lead. On some you hear me focusing on extensions rather than on chord tones. I just hear it at that moment maybe because I heard it like that. In fact, I would now probably sub more and be more confident about going more out, particularly on this tune.

It's funny how I sense the shifting comments on "melodic" lines. I had a discussion with my teacher(s) on this, and you realize that players shift from melodic to harmonic all the time. As someone said to me, it would be boring to be utterly melodic at all times. I had focused overly on melodic in the past and someone actually said to me that I've completely abandoned the jazz idiom and sound too much like myself.

So I'm putting in more eighth note lines, more bebop influence, and then hopefully I'll see where the balance comes out. My teacher tells me that my voice will come out in this balance. When I listen to you play, you already have the strong bebop influence so I'm sure you're seeking out the other side. We'll meet in the middle I'm sure smile

One thing I realized though from trying to play with a Jarrett influence on Blackbird is that I missed all the subtle Jarret syncopation that's part of his phrasing. I'm only hearing it now when I focus on small lines (I'm transcribing some of it -- well I'm copying it but I'm not writing it down).

I really appreciate the detailed comments!

My Jazz Blog

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Here's a straggler recording, I missed posting from the same Jam session.

Recordame
http://www.box.com/s/7m49h88oyuf8a6jqkage

My Jazz Blog

B
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by jazzwee
It's funny how I sense the shifting comments on "melodic" lines. I had a discussion with my teacher(s) on this, and you realize that players shift from melodic to harmonic all the time. As someone said to me, it would be boring to be utterly melodic at all times. I had focused overly on melodic in the past and someone actually said to me that I've completely abandoned the jazz idiom and sound too much like myself.

JW, I am not really sure what you mean when you say 'shifting from melodic to harmonic'. Can you describe what you mean?

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
So just for comparison here's another version. What's different here is I listened to Keith Jarrett play this over the last couple of days and then I played it.
I agree with Scott. It seems to me like you slip out of the harmonic progression. - and maybe also hmm the fun of playing BBBB. It's a fun, but also slightly sad song (which is not about Black birds - but a prostitute singing bye bye to her johns (the black birds) and she's going home back to her mother . . .). I would also like to hear you lay back with the LH, until you really must have a chord - maybe as an answer to the RH - and also "know" where to put the LH

B
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by chrisbell

It's a fun, but also slightly sad song (which is not about Black birds - but a prostitute singing bye bye to her johns (the black birds) and she's going home back to her mother . . .).

Well I never knew that. It is not clear though even after I have read the (usually unsung) verses about 'bluebirds'. I guess I just don't know the right slang.
I wonder if knowing this will make me play it differently.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
wikpedia always accurate, coltrane won a grammy 1981

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
>>(which is not about Black birds - but a prostitute singing bye bye to her johns (the black birds) and she's going home back to her mother . . .).
Wouldn't that be a happy thing? smile

My favorite version:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ja2v0CI4Po

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by KlinkKlonk
wikpedia always accurate, coltrane won a grammy 1981
Not always, and nothing that can't be rectified. He was awarded it post-hum. in 82. Check again. smile

B
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by chrisbell

I've got to find the Coltrane version
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bye_Bye_Blackbird

Great Trane version here... 22 minutes long, quality not that great but amazing music

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tLWLNhBWfY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyZXMPpRY-c&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0r2tLYza1Ng&feature=related

McCoys solo is on the 2nd part. awesome

K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
why would he receive a grammy posthumously for some obscure bootleg live recording? boggle..

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by beeboss
Great Trane version here... 22 minutes long, quality not that great but amazing music, McCoys solo is on the 2nd part. awesome
Thanks BB, yes it is!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by KlinkKlonk
why would he receive a grammy posthumously for some obscure bootleg live recording? boggle..
Boggle it is, now on iTunes!
http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/bye-bye-blackbird/id166156043

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member

JW, I am not really sure what you mean when you say 'shifting from melodic to harmonic'. Can you describe what you mean?

Melodic to me is slower. Has a more "singable" phrasing.
Longer notes typically.

The other side to what I hear in jazz playing was called by my teacher as "harmonic embellishment". Typically lots of fast playing and more dense.

When my teacher was explaining this, he played Jarrett style for a moment to demonstrate this shifting.

What he was telling me was that, just like Jarrett, it sounds really good to frame those fast, dense lines with melodic snippets.

He said the mix between the two styles of playing is part of someone's specific voice since some will have more of one than the other. For example, Jarrett will have a higher melodic content.

Now obviously, if you slow down some fast playing it could sound melodic too but I think my teacher was talking about it from the perspective of a listener.

My Jazz Blog

B
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
B

Melodic to me is slower. Has a more "singable" phrasing.
Longer notes typically.

The other side to what I hear in jazz playing was called by my teacher as "harmonic embellishment". Typically lots of fast playing and more dense.

When my teacher was explaining this, he played Jarrett style for a moment to demonstrate this shifting.

What he was telling me was that, just like Jarrett, it sounds really good to frame those fast, dense lines with melodic snippets.

He said the mix between the two styles of playing is part of someone's specific voice since some will have more of one than the other. For example, Jarrett will have a higher melodic content.

Now obviously, if you slow down some fast playing it could sound melodic too but I think my teacher was talking about it from the perspective of a listener.

Thanks for the explanation. It makes some sense but is a little bit like saying you can divide what someone plays into fast notes and slow notes. Are 1/8 notes melodic or harmonic, or does it depend on the tempo?

Page 195 of 341 1 2 193 194 195 196 197 340 341

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission