Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1352662 - 01/18/10 01:12 PM Free Used Organ Worth It?
HomeschoolMom7 Offline

Loc: Iowa, USA
I have five children, the three oldest of whom are taking piano lessons. My husband and I desire our children learn to play the organ as well. We are Lutheran, and are well aware of the shortage of organists.

Recently someone offered us an organ for free. I am not sure if it would be appropriate for practice at home if the goal is to play a church organ or not. It is a Hammond, but the manuals are parallel with one another and it has 25 pedals. It is old and doesn't have a good tone, but it is free, and if it would save a daily trip to town so that they could practice at the church, would it be worth it?

#1352665 - 01/18/10 01:16 PM Re: Free Used Organ Worth It? [Re: HomeschoolMom7]
HomeschoolMom7 Offline

Loc: Iowa, USA
I should mention, the model number is E112, the serial number is 2293. I have no idea how old it is. It has been sitting in a Senior Citizen Center, covered and untouched for years, and they want to get rid of it.

#1352786 - 01/18/10 05:16 PM Re: Free Used Organ Worth It? [Re: HomeschoolMom7]
mrenaud Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Switzerland
If it's in a good condition, you might as well take it. The 25 pedal range will probably be sufficient for now. I assume you'll be playing mainly hymns? Their bass lines usually don't go very high, and when they do, they can usually be taken down an octave without much trouble. Apart from that, most baroque repertoire could be played on it as they didn't have the full pedal range back then, and a lot of it is for manuals only anyway (most English and French baroque music). Bach requires the occasional high D or even higher notes, as does most later music. But I guess it'll be a while until you'll be tackling those difficult pieces and until then, the Hammond might serve you just fine.

That said, I'd still recommend the occasional practice session at the church. Not just to try out registrations but also to get familiar with the feel of the action. The Hammond will of course have an electric action, but your church organ might have a tracker action which will feel very different and might require getting used to.

#1352828 - 01/18/10 06:13 PM Re: Free Used Organ Worth It? [Re: mrenaud]
apple* Offline

Loc: Kansas
i love practicing on my organ. it's so helpful and even a small pedalboard will enable one to do footwork.

There are some used church organs on the market.. very reasonable with AGO pedalboards if you are really serious. you might enquire if there is one of those lying around... maybe a local piano or organ dealership.

love and peace, ├Ľun (apple in Estonian)

#1353695 - 01/19/10 09:17 PM Re: Free Used Organ Worth It? [Re: apple*]
Brandon_W_T Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Omaha, Nebraska
I always say free is the best price around!

Those hammonds are fairly good organs. Not a B3 or a good CV. But still very nice. Internal speakers is good too!

32 pedal organs are usually priced a lot higher than 25 pedal organs. It took me about a year and a half to find a cheap enough 32 pedal organ that was decent. that was a 1968 Rodgers 22b. I got it for $1,400.

Now if you do happen to find a conn model 640, 641 in 25 pedals and for 32- 643, 650 to 53, Id say go for it! Those are fantastic organs! They may be theatre organs but for their size and age they are just wonderful!

--NEW!--- 1964ish Conn 640 vacuum tube theatre organ! (with leslie!) smile

Grandmas- New Hyundai petite baby grand

Church (the organ I practice on)-
1998 Bedient (Built about 45 minutes from me!) 2m/pedal 24 rank Cavaille-Coll style pipe organ

#1360722 - 01/29/10 08:32 AM Re: Free Used Organ Worth It? [Re: Brandon_W_T]
TimR Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia, USA
I did a search over on organforum.

I gather that the E's are fairly well regarded. They were the entry level line, about $2500 new in the 70's, now generally selling for $100 or so used. Or often free.

But they seem to play okay and are still repairable.

#1361809 - 01/30/10 06:47 PM Re: Free Used Organ Worth It? [Re: TimR]
RayE Offline

Loc: Rochester, NY, USA
I'm a Lutheran substitute organist myself, and I started learning on a Hammond E111 (I think was the model number). It will be a fine instrument to start learning organ on, and will play almost all of the pieces, especially hymns that you'll want to play for Church use. Once they get the hang of the Hammond they will want to get over to Church and play on the Church's organ there is some adjustment between the 25 note pedal board and the 32 note AGO pedal board because the spacing of the pedals isn't identical. It is a small adjustment and it can be done, many Church Organists have these in their homes for home practice. There are some differences to playing on a piano and an organ keyboard, some lessons on the Organ itself would be helpful to get them started. You don't have a damper pedal on an organ and learning to play legato connected lines is a skill that is best taught by a proficient organist.

#1390798 - 03/07/10 10:13 PM Re: Free Used Organ Worth It? [Re: RayE]
Jim Berna Offline

Loc: Fayette City,PA. 15438
Go for it! The hammond "E" series organ was a good practice organ. The organ is probably half electronic and hald tone generator. These organs were built to last and in my area in Pennsylvania, mant churches used the hammond b, bv, c, and H models also. This organ nis a good organ and should be aquired!Probably the organ has to have the contacts cleaned and the generator oiled, get a service tech to service it and you will be the owner of a great instrument!

Jim Berna
Tuner-Technician

What's Hot!!
LAST CALL - Piano Newsletter Ideas!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
127 registered (36251, accordeur, AndresD, ando, 40 invisible), 1560 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75498 Members
42 Forums
156123 Topics
2292626 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Halloween Fantasy
by Axtremus
20 minutes 8 seconds ago
Visited Yamaha's Flagship Store Today
by biasa199
23 minutes 5 seconds ago
Tag!
by Axtremus
23 minutes 37 seconds ago
Things are not working out for me
by Teodor
31 minutes 15 seconds ago
UVI has a sale on 5 grand piano sounds
by Morodiene
45 minutes 10 seconds ago
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission