2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
40 members (bwv543, Andre Fadel, Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,179 guests, and 303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Just a small correction: Boesendorfer rims are not made of beech, but spruce, butcher-block fashion. Only the top part of the rim, where the soundboard is glued and the plate screws go, is made of beech.
They do this because of their idea of a "resonant case" which should be mostly spruce.
What I like about Boesendorfer is their exceptionally high manufacture quality, although I find their piano design a bit dated.

Ron Overs, thanks for the comments on the Bechstein plates. I have heard many explanations, but yours makes more sense. Others ranged from poor alloy quality, through underengineered strut sections (they seem actually quite beefy) to badly fitting pinblocks which cause a rotaionla stress (this might also be the case).

Calin

The Bechstein piano discussion group: https://groups.yahoo.com/Bechstein
The historical Schweighofer piano site: http://schweighofer.tripod.com/
J
J
Hi!! My name is Juano, from Buenos Aires, Argentina. I am a piano teacher and a piano student too. And I want to buy a new piano. I saw alots of pianos. At last, a very good piano selling house, offers to me 3 pianos:
1) A baby grand Weber (by Young Chang) at U$S 7000. Almost new
2) A Shiedmayer piano (from 1935) but like new (U$S 7000)
3) a Grotrian Steinweg (from 1935, like new) at U$S 7000
4) Steinway vertical piano (U$S 7000)

All these pianos have beautiful sound (specially Grotrian and Steinway). Weber is NEW!!! and it has beautiful sound, but I don´t know if it is a good piano or a good mark of piano.
Can you give me your opinion??
Yamaha piano and Kawai piano (both baby grand) are about U$S 11500, perhaps rather expensive for me. Thanks a lot and I will wait for your answer!!!
Juan

J
J
Hi!! My name is Juano, from Buenos Aires, Argentina. I am a piano teacher and a piano student too. And I want to buy a new piano. I saw alots of pianos. At last, a very good piano selling house, offers to me 3 pianos:
1) A baby grand Weber (by Young Chang) at U$S 7000. Almost new
2) A Shiedmayer piano (from 1935) but like new (U$S 7000)
3) a Grotrian Steinweg (from 1935, like new) at U$S 7000
4) Steinway vertical piano (U$S 7000)

All these pianos have beautiful sound (specially Grotrian and Steinway). Weber is NEW!!! and it has beautiful sound, but I don´t know if it is a good piano or a good mark of piano.
Can you give me your opinion??
Yamaha piano and Kawai piano (both baby grand) are about U$S 11500, perhaps rather expensive for me. Thanks a lot and I will wait for your answer!!!
Juan

R
R
Suikang:

Although I have not played any of the pianos you mention (I know them by reputation to be superior instruments), I would urge you, before making a purchase, to try out an Estonia--if you have not already done so. And you might want to research it on this forum. They are a great value and widely acclaimed. I love the tone. Of course they only come in 6 foot 3 inch and 9 foot models (other than the smaller 5 foot 6) with no 7 footer available yet. There are rumors that a seven is in the mill but I hear different things from different people.

Russ

Estonia L190--Serial # 7117
Ragtime should never be played fast--Scott Joplin

Repertoire (Ready for Carnegie Hall smile ): Fur Elise; Beethoven Minuet in G; Chopin: Prelude 28-7; Joplin: The Entertainer

Polishing: Chopin: Waltz in A minor (Post)

Working: Brahms: Waltz 39-15; Chopin: Albumblatt
Suikang:

Truly the best advice you've been given is to buy the piano that sings to your soul (assuming all the instruments are in comparable condition and fit your budget). There are some terrific resources on this board. Unfortunately, there are also boobs who spout off when they don't have know what they're writing about. I think you'll quickly be able to differentiate between the two.

When I was looking for a new instrument 18 months ago, I had the chance to play all three of the brands you like, plus a couple of Steingrabers. All were lovely. Obviously, I like the Bosie I purchased best of all. The Steingrabers were next in line. Followed by the Grotrian and Bechstein. But it was fundamentally a personal thing.

Best of luck!

Bosendorfer 225
Bluthner Style 9 (Model 4)
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M

For what it's worth, and it may not be worth much, Suikang last posted on this thread on 03/09/06. He bought a 1960's M&M BB some time later. Several months ago he was asking about an 1890's Bluthner.

Mike

C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
I believe Juano is the individual who is of relevance on this thread.

First, I would recommend that if you have space for a grand, and the prices are comparable, get the grand.

The Weber is new, and so you are virtually assured that you won't run any of the risks of an older used piano -- loose pins, cracked board, worn out action. But it is a lower mid-level piano.

Grotrian Steinweg is one of the most highly respected brands for pianos, in the world. The real question is what the piano has been through in the last seventy years. What work has been done on it? Will it hold a tuning reliably? Has work been done on the action? What shape is the soundboard in? Strings?

As with any used piano purchase, and when you're talking about that much money, it is highly recommended to have an independent piano technician inspect the pianos.

I don't know anything about Schiedmayer pianos.

It's generally good advice to go with the piano that sounds and feels best to you. But on the other hand make sure you're not comparing tunings, since sometimes one piano will have been tuned more recently than another in the same shop, and might sound especially nice for that reason alone.

Also, you don't mention the sizes of the pianos. This is also important of course.

Semi-pro pianist
Tuesdays 5-8 at Vince's West Sacramento, California

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Charles -

Your advice to Juan is very good - except in another thread I also went into much more detail with him about the Weber. The new Albert Weber pianos built by Young Chang in Korea are much better than "lower mid level" - but the new "Legend" series built in China are of lesser quality. I gave Juan specific information about model numbers of Webers from the past ten years so he can get a better idea of country of origin and build quality.

Carey

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission