2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (AlkansBookcase, 36251, benkeys, Charles Cohen, 20/20 Vision, bcalvanese, booms, Bruce Sato, Carey, 9 invisible), 1,922 guests, and 266 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
OP Offline
I probably shouldn't post the qusestion here (but in the piano forum), but I thought there might be some silly thing I'm just missing and that someone maybe recognizes the issue...

I have a Yamaha Clainova digital piano, and suddenly there is a key that is acting strange. More precisely it is the first B above the middle C. Sometimes it feels as usual and sometimes it is as if something was pushing back when I press the key. Let's say I repeatedly play some eith notes on that key, then approximately one time out of five the key will be responding as smoothly as it should.

I'm guessing that there might be a problem with the graded hammer system. But why just this key? I have been moving the piano several times in the last years, last move was last summer. I think it was handeled carefully, but could something have been damaged?

Nothing is accomplished without enthusiasm. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

[Linked Image]

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I doubt that it is damage caused by moving. I have an old clavinova (slab style) that has used for live gigs many years and was never damaged due to hauling.

You could call Yamaha and find the nearest certified service center and talk to a technician who works there.

If you feel confident to do so, you could open it up and examine the mechanical parts associated with that key.

Joe Whitehead ------ Texas Trax
OP Offline
Yes, I think I should try doing that. Good suggestion.

I hope I will not end up having to take the piano to the shop myself...

[Linked Image]

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Check your warranty status before you open it up, sometimes that'll void your warranty if you still have one. If your warranty is expired however, then by all means, take it apart, just be careful with it.

You could also try posting your thread here as well:
https://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubb...al%20Pianos%20-%20Synths%20&%20.html

Most of the people there seem really helpful and knowledgeable about digital pianos and might be able to help you out. In any case, I hope you get it all sorted out, best of luck to you! smile

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Basia,

This seems to be a very common problem.

Three of my A keys stick, but only in the winter.

If I press the keys absolutely straight down there is no problem.

But if I use any side-ways force, to the right or left, the key feels very heavy.

Here's a link that might heip:

Fixing Broken Keys

Mel

"Love has nothing to do with what you are expecting to get, only what you are expecting to give, which is everything. You give because you love and cannot help giving." Katharine Hepburn
L
L
Just a thought: I would recommend calling Yamaha Service first and finding out if this is a known issue with these keyboards.

I had a 9-year-old P200 with a sticking keys problem. It turns out it was a defect in the original design, and Yamaha offered to fix it for free. They did a one-time total keybed replacement at no cost to me. Have the serial number on-hand when you call, and they'll be able to tell you if there are any special service offers for that particular unit.

OP Offline
Thanks all, that's very helpful! The problem is exactly as Dannylux describes it. I will not open up the piano myself for the reasons AnotherSchmoe mentions. It might take a while for me to find warranty papers and the contact information leaflet, since it probably is in a box in the attic after all the moving around. frown Hopeful about having it solved though! will let you know how it goes.

[Linked Image]

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yamaha P60's have an infamous week key mechanism - I had to replace 15 on a school instrument last year. Whether your model is the same, I don't know. Try surfing - I received loads of help.

C
C
Is it the same issue that I highlighted on this thread a few months ago?

Yamaha CLP-170 "sticky" keys

If so, I would also like to find out a permanent solution to this. It still isn't sorted!

"Simplicity is the highest goal, achievable when you have overcome all difficulties." - Frédéric Chopin

"Hats off gentlemen, a genius!" - Schumann on Chopin

"Chopin is the greatest of them all, for through the piano alone he discovered everything" - Debussy on Chopin

Venables & Son 152
L
L
Originally Posted by Basia C.
It might take a while for me to find warranty papers and the contact information leaflet, since it probably is in a box in the attic after all the moving around.

I'd still call Yamaha - I didn't need any warranty papers or sales receipt for mine. Just the serial number.

C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
The clavinove series has a five year warranty. The the service guy comes to your location.

If it is out of warranty then notice that you can take it in without a mover. the "piano" attaches to the stand with only four screws from the botton and connection to the the peddles simply un-plug from the rear. Five minutes with a screw driver and it becomes movable. Instructions are in the user manual. If you've lost it you can download a copy from Yamaha's web site.

The key stick problem is likely just dirt, dust a dead spider or whatever in the keys. If a key is broken parts are cheap labor isn't.

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission