Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1353588 - 01/19/10 06:24 PM I'm new - I'm ignorant
JimL Offline

1. I'm not a proficient keyboardist. I flunked college music theory because the teacher said "play everything in this class or flunk." But I love to "mess around" at a keyboard and write stuff I eventually learn to play well. Such stuff as big voiced pipe organ pieces or mellow voiced trombone solos or ye olde Doxology or Mendelsson in piano.

2. I have an old Yamaha YS200 that badly needs to be put in the garbage, because although it plays very expressively it squeals with a relatively low volume but very high pitch (which I would probably say was very loud if I still had my 18 year old ears). I want to get something to replace it, but on everything I have touched - cheap or expensive - the built in instruments seem to me to sound cheap and tinny compared to the YS200. Therefore I want something I can construct my own voices with.

3. So far anyone I've talked to thinks I've lost my mind when I say "construct my own voices." Apparently in the world of keyboards as in the world of computers you are just "out of it" if you can't use exactly the right buzz-words when you ask for help. But while reading messages here I got the impression that this place is different.

I've stumbled across the term "patches." I haven't found a definition for "patches" yet, but I'm wondering if patches aren't the hand constructed (or edited) voices (or sounds) I want.

Oh, I don't really need 88 keys. In fact I don't have space for any acoustic piano or even a big 88 key stage piano.

If I've made any sense so far I can now ask for advice. What kind of keyboard do I want - with lots of "fixable" voices/sounds - within the $500 to maybe $1200 range?

I've noticed that the Yamaha DGX keyboards can apparently be fed by a computer editor (DXG?). If this will do what I want (patches or voices or sounds or instruments or whatever I ought to be calling them), great!

There are some less expensive Rolands that MAY be of interest, but I'm not good enough at the ivories to really find out or quick enough to understand features in a store. So I end up going in circles and buying nothing.

To sum it all up in one word H-E-L-P!!!

(ad) Roland

Click Here

#1353609 - 01/19/10 07:33 PM Re: I'm new - I'm ignorant [Re: JimL]
ChrisA Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Redondo Beach, California
Quote:
... I want to get something to replace it, but on everything I have touched - cheap or expensive - the built in instruments seem to me to sound cheap and tinny compared to the YS200. Therefore I want something I can construct my own voices with.

What you have is an aalog synth. It is a "real" instrument. All of the digital sampers are really trying to emulate a real instrument.

Quote:
3. So far anyone I've talked to thinks I've lost my mind when I say "construct my own voices."

The current term is "sound design". This is where you think of what a hollow metal ball might sound like if you struck it and it rang and then you create that sound.

Quote:

I've stumbled across the term "patches." I haven't found a definition for "patches" yet, but I'm wondering if patches aren't the hand constructed (or edited) voices (or sounds) I want.

In the old days you contruct the sound with a set of short audo "patch" cords. cabling the oscilator to the filter and so on. Kind of like and old telephone switchboard

Quote:

If I've made any sense so far I can now ask for advice. What kind of keyboard do I want - with lots of "fixable" voices/sounds - within the $500 to maybe $1200 range

two ways you can go. (1) Buy an analog synthesiser. or a digital version that tries to emulat and old analog. Mogg still makes them.
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PhattyStage2/

Or most people today are doing this on conputers. There is software that lets you create patches and mix this with sampling. It is much more flexible and complex then any analog synth ever was

You'd buy a MIDI keyboard or other kind of controller and then hook it up to software. For an example of the software
Go to this URL can scroll down to "Studio Instruments" and then you can click "sculpture" or "synth" and then try out the blue buttons on the bottom to get a feel for what can be done
http://www.apple.com/logicstudio/plug-ins/

Most people will play the sounds using a keyboard. A few will use a drum pad. But must will buy a control surface with sliders and knobs so they can control the software with something more natural than a mouse

Edited by ChrisA (01/19/10 07:42 PM)

#1354367 - 01/20/10 06:41 PM Re: I'm new - I'm ignorant [Re: ChrisA]
JimL Offline

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
In the old days you contruct the sound with a set of short audo "patch" cords. cabling the oscilator to the filter and so on. Kind of like and old telephone switchboard

I've always liked knowing where a word came from in the past. Is there a definition for what "patch" means now? That's what I said I hadn't found yet.

#1354377 - 01/20/10 06:54 PM Re: I'm new - I'm ignorant [Re: ChrisA]
JimL Offline

Quote:
(1) Buy an analog synthesiser. or a digital version that tries to emulate an old analog. Mogg still makes them.
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PhattyStage2/

Sounds like Moogs would be great if they were 5 or 6 octaves instead of 3.

Quote:
Most people will play the sounds using a keyboard. A few will use a drum pad. But must will buy a control surface with sliders and knobs so they can control the software with something more natural than a mouse

The only "controller" I want is a keyboard. I would hope for a computer connection if I can edit sounds/tones with it. Since onboard editors don't seem to exist I'd guess a computer connection would be essential.

#1354382 - 01/20/10 07:03 PM Re: I'm new - I'm ignorant [Re: JimL]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern NJ
What ChrisA said. All the real synthesis is going on in PCs now, hardware synths have fallen so far behind they are almost anachronisms at this point.

You might look at Csound, as it is free. Synthmaker is an incredible way to build just about anything you want, even drill down to the code level.

#1354428 - 01/20/10 08:42 PM Re: I'm new - I'm ignorant [Re: JimL]
ChrisA Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Redondo Beach, California

The only "controller" I want is a keyboard. I would hope for a computer connection if I can edit sounds/tones with it. Since onboard editors don't seem to exist I'd guess a computer connection would be essential.
[/quote]

Yes, "essential". With yore current system the editor ran on a PC and then downloaded settings into the keyboard and the sound was generated there inside the keyboard.

Today the sound is generated inside the Computer. The keyboard only sends keypress events to the computer. You could use your existing keyboard as a controller.

Inside the sound editor you set many parameters that together define the sound. Sometimes musicians like to be able to change a parameter during a live performance. Modern software allows you to assign a parameter to some hardware control like a pedal or pitch bend wheel. Sometimes a drum pad can switch between two pre-set sounds. That is what I ment about non-keyboard controllers -- basically you can take parts of the sound editor and move them onto physical real-time controls then use those very much like the tone knob or pickup selector on an electric guitar.

#1354600 - 01/21/10 06:16 AM Re: I'm new - I'm ignorant [Re: ChrisA]
Dr Popper Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hancock Park LA (not again)
You sound like you need a workstation to me. Something like a Yamaha MotifXS8 or a Roland Fantom8 but these are way way way out of your budget. I'd suggest you get a cheap KB midi controller and use software syth's. It will give you what you want to do within your budget.

#1356256 - 01/23/10 12:05 PM Re: I'm new - I'm ignorant [Re: dewster]
JimL Offline

Originally Posted By: dewster
What ChrisA said. All the real synthesis is going on in PCs now, hardware synths have fallen so far behind they are almost anachronisms at this point.

Thanks. Actually "far behind" is probably a desired feature for me. I'm EXTREMELY non-multitasking and about equally short on short term memory. I can probably slog through things so I can get a few new voices for my own amusement, given the nature of built in voices I've heard so far, but no more than that.

Quote:
You might look at Csound, as it is free. Synthmaker is an incredible way to build just about anything you want, even drill down to the code level.

Thanks for the recommendation. Now I need to find something to attach the software/computer to.

#1356296 - 01/23/10 12:50 PM Re: I'm new - I'm ignorant [Re: ChrisA]
JimL Offline

Originally Posted By: ChrisA

Sometimes musicians like to be able to change a parameter during a live performance. Modern software allows you to assign a parameter to some hardware control like a pedal or pitch bend wheel. Sometimes a drum pad can switch between two pre-set sounds.

It may sound a little odd to say I can just about guarantee you I will never do anything publicly on keyboard, yet that I want to be able to have more control over whatever I can put together. But it is a fact. It's all for my own amazement and amusement.

And for good reason. I love music and I can make up a few pretty good pieces and make them sound great - to my ears. But I have no repertoire and improvisation is out of the question - I am simply not a keyboardist. (My exposure to the public was vocal and 4 or 5 hundred years ago.) When folks hear something they like they want more and I have no more. Put in other words, I'm looking at doing some quality but very limited-in-scope fiddling.

Thanks for the post.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
58 registered (ando, anotherscott, Bigvalbio, bennevis, Alex Hernandez, 15 invisible), 1084 Guests and 45 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74250 Members
42 Forums
153599 Topics
2251185 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Happy Easter!
by Marko in Boston
04/20/14 06:58 AM
Easter Themed Recordings - Kawai CA95
by wolferblade
04/20/14 04:55 AM
First recordings - Some music for Easter
by wolferblade
04/20/14 01:01 AM
Recorded a song on my workstation tonight
by Arizona Sage
04/20/14 12:04 AM
How to tune a piano.....
by Grandpianoman
04/19/14 11:46 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission