2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
43 members (Andre Fadel, Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, 10 invisible), 1,188 guests, and 317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1354000 01/20/10 11:17 AM
C
Chris G Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
C
Does anyone have advice on the best strategies for comping in a blues band? Here's some background - as well as playing piano I also play electric bass and have played bass in one blues band or another for many years, so I'm very familiar with the genre. On the piano I play various things including ragtime and I have a good head for chords and scales in different keys. I'm now started to play keyboard in a band where I was playing bass and I'm finding that comping in interesting ways which complement the rest of the band is the hardest part. The other instruments in the band are drums, bass, guitar and harmonica/vocals.

I've been reading a few books on playing blues piano and listening to recordings. My initial idea was to play seventh chords split across two hands, 1/5 or 5/1 in the left and 3/7 or 7/3 in the right and while that works OK it sounds repetetive. Step two was to move the top note on the right hand around a bit so it could be playing the 2, 6, or 7 and this is an improvement but I'm wondering if an approach other than two handed chords would work better, such as playing arpeggios and fills or playing higher up the keyboard while the guitar player handles the chords.

Chris G #1354017 01/20/10 11:53 AM
W
W
When I play blues with a band like that I usually become a one-handed player. I'm more likely to play trills, riffs or fills than straight chords, though.

Do some listening. Howlin Wolf and Muddy Waters have good piano, and there's plenty on youtube. I reccommend listening to bands where the piano player is not the leader.

try this, a lot, with chromatic grace notes to the 3rd and 5th:

1 5 7 1 4 6 1 3 5

try trills with the 5 and 7 or the 1 and 7

try twinkling the blues scale fast in the high register, just the notes that lie under your fingers, especially when the vocalist pauses

Often, when the vocalist pauses the guitar, the harp, and the piano all do fills at once! It is contrary to my normal instinct for tasteful playing, but it sounds really cool.

C
Chris G Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by wavelength
When I play blues with a band like that I usually become a one-handed player. I'm more likely to play trills, riffs or fills than straight chords, though.

Do some listening. Howlin Wolf and Muddy Waters have good piano, and there's plenty on youtube. I reccommend listening to bands where the piano player is not the leader.

try this, a lot, with chromatic grace notes to the 3rd and 5th:

1 5 7 1 4 6 1 3 5

try trills with the 5 and 7 or the 1 and 7

try twinkling the blues scale fast in the high register, just the notes that lie under your fingers, especially when the vocalist pauses

Often, when the vocalist pauses the guitar, the harp, and the piano all do fills at once! It is contrary to my normal instinct for tasteful playing, but it sounds really cool.

That's just the sort of advice I was looking for! My first instinct is that two hands are better than one but I'm starting to think that a less dense sound can work better when playing in a band and I do notice on a lot of recordings that the piano is playing riffs or using two fingers to play intervals such as 6ths or octaves.

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission