2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
28 members (clothearednincompo, crab89, Georg Z., David B, Fried Chicken, AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, 8 invisible), 1,180 guests, and 290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#1354271 01/20/10 05:37 PM
B
Barb860 Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
B
Just another topic about fees, forgive me!
Recently a parent contacted me about starting lessons for her child. When I told her my tuition structure (pay one month in advance) and my missed lesson policy (see excessive absence thread), she said this, "I will not pay for any lessons my child does not take". I explained that I teach a curriculum and have a program, not just single lessons. She told me what it was like when she was younger and a student herself, when she paid cash for one lesson at a time.
I did the same thing, back 30-40 years ago. My teachers were teaching at universities so they were professionals and well trained. In addition to these "regular jobs", they taught students like myself on nights and weekends and we paid for one lesson at a time. We were in the guild, competitions and recitals. So did they not have a "program", too?
Fast-forward to today. Does anyone charge for just one lesson at a time?
What would you have said to the parent had she phoned you?

Piano Teacher
R
R
Hi Barb,

At the risk of being reprimanded wink I'll admit that I do not have a pay-ahead scheme going on in my studio, so I wouldn't have run into this particular situation.

If you have decided on a payment scheme and you make it clear in advance, then anyone who doesn't like it should just go elsewhere. You cannot make exceptions! Sounds like this parent wasn't very respectful of your position.

Just for full disclosure, after trying different things over the years, I do this:
I bill students at the end of the month for however many lessons they took. I do not accept payment in advance. They are able to cancel once a month for no fee. If they cancel more than once in a calendar month, they pay for the additional cancellations. I *try* to do makeups, but there is absolutely no guarantee, because my schedule is very full.

Rachel Jimenez Piano teacher in Brooklyn, NY / Author of Fundamental Keys method
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
I would have said, "I'm sorry. You'll have to find a different teacher. You are purchasing a time slot in my schedule and I cannot sell it to someone else. There is also considerable time spent outside the lesson in preparation and training. Thank you for your interest, though."

This is how you choose to run your business. Do not apologize for it.

B.A., Piano, Piano Pegagogy, Music Ed.
M.M., Piano
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Barb860
What would you have said to the parent had she phoned you?

One word ... 'adios.' smile

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Barb,

There are always going to be occasions where you'll want to teach a student just a few lessons, or on an infrequent basis (other than weekly). There is no reason not to do so, but this isn't the basis, nor should it be, of your daily studio operation. I have a rate, $50/lesson (one academic hour, BTW), which is available for those parents who do not want to be locked in to a contract and a set time.

However, you need to make it very, very clear that the student shows up with cash in hand, the lesson is taken, and there is no further obligations/opportunities available. No recitals, no performance classes, no master classes, no group lessons, no hand-outs, just lessons on a catch as catch can basis. And oh, by the way, if a tuition paying student needs that particular time, they will have to forgo their lesson or take it another open time.

Most parents can figure out that paying tuition is the better deal financially.

Figuring out and adjusting to all these cats and dogs situations is just part and parcel of the job of the independent studio piano teacher.

"Those who dare to teach must never cease to learn." -- Richard Henry Dann
Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
Certified by the American College of Musicians; member NGPT, MTNA, WSMTA, OMTA
R
R
Originally Posted by John v.d.Brook
Figuring out and adjusting to all these cats and dogs situations is just part and parcel of the job of the independent studio piano teacher.

I love that, John. I do think it takes a while to figure out what kind of policy you feel comfortable enforcing as a teacher, and sometimes things have to be adjusted as time passes. For example, I am almost to the point where I will have a waiting list. If/when that happens, I guess I will have to be more strict about cancellations, because keeping a student who isn't dedicated enough to not miss lessons won't be fair to the potentially more dedicated ones on the waiting list.

Rachel Jimenez Piano teacher in Brooklyn, NY / Author of Fundamental Keys method
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I like John's idea, but I probably wouldn't do it in my studio. I'd simply say "I hope you find a teacher that fits your needs."

~Stanny~

Independent Music Teacher
Certified Piano Teacher, American College of Musicians
Member: MTNA, NGPT, ASMTA, NAMTA
L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
I do know teachers who give lessons singly. All those teachers teach instruments other than piano, and have other full-time (orchestra) jobs. The lessons are less frequent due to the high cost to the student and the time constraints of the teacher. I think John's solution is brilliant, and follows this idea.

I would have simply said, "It sounds like I'm not the right teacher for you." Occasionally, I've had to defend my tuition system by asking them if their child ever attended preschool or played soccer, or whatever. All of those things require a payment commitment for the whole term, and you do not get anything extra if your child is sick and misses a day.

piano teacher
O
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
O
Barb 860,

I would have repeated "I charge by the month". But regarding details about policies...(no makeup lessons etc.) I would probably refer them to my web pages, so they can look over the policies and then let me know if they have questions if/when we schedule an interview. That way they can get the shock (if it is one) on their own and have time to adjust to it. But really, I've never had anyone complain about the no makeup lessons and no refunds. Then I go over it line by line with them when they come for the interview. But I would not even try to justify my policies. I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything (except to get a piano and practice of course!)

That reminds me of someone who called and said my fees were too high. It's either a deal breaker for her or it's not. She either accepts your policies, or keeps looking. She sounds disrespectful, so just as well to find out before you start...that this is someone who is demanding and ungrateful.

Good luck!

O
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
O
In my written and online policy I state "The tuition you pay reserves a place for your child in a weekly lesson". If she insists she won't pay for lessons her child doesn't take, you may let her know that she will need to see that her child atttends every lesson then, since your fees are by the month.

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Note to teachers: It is your business to determine and execute whatever policies you like and to refuse to take on students that don't do as you say.
Note to students and sponsors: It is the customer's business to find a professional that meets their expectations and needs.

As an adult, I always pay lesson by lesson and avoid like the plague those teachers that want to turn me into some kind of school boy or annuity cash cow and who delight in charging for missed lessons. It works for all parties, as I then am able to work with teachers who are not only flexible like I am but whose entire practice is designed around students' needs. Most students don't want to reserve a slot in your studio. Students want to learn the piano.

Remember, in most areas there are more piano teachers than there is demand for piano teaching: spend time to find a teacher that meets your needs and wants to work with you musically. The ones who are all business and policy and want contracts and money up front and warn you about how busy they are are often the ones you would have dropped after a few trial lessons because they can't teach but now you are stuck with them.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
[Linked Image] Well, Journey, that's quite a generalization, and I suppose you've researched in-depth teachers in the USA who charge tuition and found them wanting, whereas teachers who are totally flexible, have no life, medical or living needs, live in ramshackle homes, have no expenses such as maintaining pianos, are top notch artists who have chosen to teach out of the goodness of their hearts. And when can we expect the Netherlands to drop the price of oil back to $15/bbl? As you're so generous, it should be any day now.

"Those who dare to teach must never cease to learn." -- Richard Henry Dann
Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
Certified by the American College of Musicians; member NGPT, MTNA, WSMTA, OMTA
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Students who want to learn to play the piano show up weekly for their lessons, so it shouldn't be a problem to pay by the month.

B.A., Piano, Piano Pegagogy, Music Ed.
M.M., Piano
C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
I would have told her that nowadays all the teachers charge by the month, and they need to pay their bills and be able to rely on a steady income. I might have added, I don't know what you do for a living, but if your boss called you up and said he doesn't need you on Wednesday, you would miss the income, wouldn't you? A piano teacher has 20 or 30 bosses and they can't all be telling you to take unpaid time off.

O
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
O
the Journey,

Most of us are very flexible with adult students as often they can come for lessons during school hours, so it is not a problem. Plus adults are reliable at practicing.

But kids really need a weekly lesson. And parents DO want a regular weekly lesson time instead of checking each week to see what' open. It has worked for me to have monthly fees and NO ONE has complained. An adult who travelled with work for one month...I made an exception and didn't charge him that month.

Plus there is a big difference between beginners and intermediate adult students. I just have beginnners and they WANT a weekly lesson. An intermediate adult player can benefit by consultations with a teacher as you describe instead of regular lessons if that's what they have time for.

Last edited by Ann in Kentucky; 01/21/10 08:51 AM. Reason: added last paragraph
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Candywoman
I would have told her that nowadays all the teachers charge by the month, and they need to pay their bills and be able to rely on a steady income. I might have added, I don't know what you do for a living, but if your boss called you up and said he doesn't need you on Wednesday, you would miss the income, wouldn't you? A piano teacher has 20 or 30 bosses and they can't all be telling you to take unpaid time off.

May I suggest something more along the line of:
Piano study works best with regular lessons over a period of several years within the teacher's program. The fee you pay reserves an exclusive time slot for you(r child) that nobody else can use. It is to your benefit to make full use of the time made available to you by attending all lessons.

Ok, that sounds too fancy. But I would avoid talking about your own needs. It doesn't sound professional, and it might backfire if the person at the other end freelances. I do not have predictable income and my "employers" number way more than 30. I would never tell a client about my financial needs. I tell them why my services are of value and how they will benefit them.

I agreed to weekly lessons paid monthly at a locale studio. I asked about missing a lesson because of snow or emergencies. Their policy is no make up. However, there were 5 months during the year that have 5 weeks (5 lessons not 4 ) with no extra charge - sweet. That more than made up for any missed lesson. That works just fine for me. I must say though that even if that were not the case I would have no resentment paying month to month because as mentioned that is MY slot and the teacher probably would be sitting looking at the door for most of the allotted time waiting for my no show butt. They met their part of the agreement and I did not meet mine. As a side, in the end I was not happy with the progress of the lessons (teacher talked about their personal past family problems for at least 20 minutes of half hour lesson x's 4 lessons ) so I gave my notice with 2 weeks paid left in January. I found another teacher only 10 minutes from my home - taught in her home. She only teaches 1 hour lessons and her charge is a little more than double the cost of the studio lessons -but - she is wonderful, wonderful I say. All my excitement for learning the piano is back and I can hardly contain how great it feels. May I say that even the environment is a breath of fresh air difference. Beautiful room, a 1916 refurbished Steinway
Grand and a teacher bursting with the energy of a positive outlook. Yea me!
Kudos to good teachers. Richard

Old Wulitzer
B
Barb860 Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by keystring
Originally Posted by Candywoman

May I suggest something more along the line of:
Piano study works best with regular lessons over a period of several years within the teacher's program. The fee you pay reserves an exclusive time slot for you(r child) that nobody else can use. It is to your benefit to make full use of the time made available to you by attending all lessons.

Ok, that sounds too fancy. But I would avoid talking about your own needs. It doesn't sound professional, and it might backfire if the person at the other end freelances. I do not have predictable income and my "employers" number way more than 30. I would never tell a client about my financial needs. I tell them why my services are of value and how they will benefit them.

Yes, it is about the student's need for commitment. The teacher is committing to weekly lessons and the spot is reserved for this student. I am tired of playing second fiddle to soccer, baseball, etc. etc. every season. I have put up with this for too long, allowing students to miss lessons due to sports practices and games. The result: lack of progress at the piano, period, and this is a no-win situation for all involved, not to mention a waste of time and money. Make the commitment or not. I'm raising the standards in my studio.
I like the idea of pay as you go lessons and could offer those, too, for folks who do not want to commit to a set lesson time.
I could see this working for adults who are intermediate players. There is a very fine teacher in my community who teaches advanced students and offers this service to them and I refer people to her. My goal is to take lessons from her on this same pay as you go basis.

Piano Teacher
N
N
Originally Posted by eweiss

You’re harsh. How are you going to find any students? LOL…

OT but since it’s about pay, fees and all that, I thought I’d ask.

What’s your policy regarding adult students… say would you accept one or not… and would you consider a flexible schedule… on a bi-weekly basis and work together to fit in lesson time… maybe it’s not always fixed?

I know it’s a lot and didn’t think I should even ask. You will probably think I’m out of my mind and selfish…

My wife helped out asking her clients about a Piano teacher, and was referred to one near her work. I have this teacher info and been thinking, pondering for a few weeks now but can’t decide. With wife working 7 days and a young child, a fixed time slot is tough to figure out. Weekly lessons will probably make a dent in Son’s 529 college savings too… and I’d rather not do that. Is bi-weekly reasonable?

Every situation is unique huh? I have been thinking it’s perhaps best I continue self-learning. But I don’t want to give up hopes of having a wonderful teacher experience, yet. I really like to hear what you really and honestly think. No sugar coated needed. Good or bad, promise I can and will take it wholeheartedly.

Thanks,
Nguyen

P.S. eweiss, you know I was just kidding? smile

Last edited by Nguyen; 01/21/10 06:12 PM. Reason: Add [i]italic[/i]

Nguyen - Student Pianist
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Nguyen
Originally Posted by eweiss

You’re harsh. How are you going to find any students? LOL…

I don't. They find me through the internet. I teach online and literally have had thousands of students.

In order for a piano teacher to survive (notice I didn't say 'thrive') you have to set terms where both parties come away feeling good. Not just the student. Teachers who take students on a weekly basis could be leaving money on the table.

And yeah. A lot of it's about the money. Or do we live on a planet where goods and service can be purchased with gold-pressed latinum?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission