Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1351817 - 01/17/10 11:04 AM Yamaha PSR-E413, E-313, Casio WK-500, CTK-5000, Roland E-09
SingingFlat Offline

I've narrowed it down to those five. It's hard to compare when you have to drive between the stores.

The Roland is my favourite, but it's out of the running unless Monday's phone calls produce a surprise. I'd rather enjoy the opportunity to play than feel guilty about spending the extra money.

Questions:

Durability. Will it survive average use and the annual vacation drive?

Voices. I don't need all 5 million voices, but it's hard to try more than a few in the store. Did they make three good ones and the rest tinny? I really like the Roland voice, but, again, it's hard to compare between stores.

Touch sensitivity. How much control over the sound just by pressing firmly or softly?

Recording feature. Can I change the speed and select which sections to play back? The Roland has this, not sure about the others.

Built-in lessons. Designed by a music teacher or a techie?

Other. Anything I forget to ask?

Background:

The excuse is to support my voice lessons. After two years, I'm about as good as the 6-year-old whose lesson is before mine. I need to hear what I'm supposed to sing, and my 30-year-old PortaSound is on its last legs. I also like to tap out new repertoire. And I've always wanted to play piano.

What I know so far:

They all have the minimum requirements.

Auto-accompaniment is annoying. I need to hear what my accompanist will play at the recital or just the notes I should sing.

The candidates are all from local music stores, so the price includes local support for the national warranty. Both include power adapter and stand.

Thanks in advance,
SingingFlat

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Special Financing on Digital Keyboards

Click Here

#1351891 - 01/17/10 02:03 PM Re: Yamaha PSR-E413, E-313, Casio WK-500, CTK-5000, Roland E [Re: SingingFlat]
ChrisA Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Redondo Beach, California
What are you looking for? None of those are "Digital Pianos" They are general Electronic keyboards. Are you looking to play solo piano pieces or a wider range of sounds?

You talk abut recording but hint that maybe it's your voice you want to record, none of these will do that.

I think to get meaningful advice you will have to detail your vision of how this keyboard will be used, the sounds you want and so on.

As for durability, if you are only going to move it once per year just keep the box and all the packing material. It was shipped all the way from China to a where house and then by UPS from there and did OK. For more frequent movement you will want a "road case" that is more durable than a cardboard box.

#1352272 - 01/17/10 11:48 PM Re: Yamaha PSR-E413, E-313, Casio WK-500, CTK-5000, Roland E [Re: ChrisA]
signa Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ohio, USA
if you want to play piano, then you would want digital piano type, which would have acoustic piano like weighted keys on the keyboard. but those you mentioned are just keyboards with springy keys (with no weight). so, it all depends on what you would want to play on: piano or keyboard type. for the latter, any of those you mentioned would be fine. if you're looking for digital pianos, then there are plenty to look at, from the cheap or entry level ones (such as Casio PX130) to some very expensive high end ones, such as Yamaha Clavinova CLP380, CP1 or Roland V-piano and etc..

#1355492 - 01/22/10 11:39 AM Re: Yamaha PSR-E413, E-313, Casio WK-500, CTK-5000, Roland E [Re: signa]
SingingFlat Offline

Thanks for your replies. Sorry so late replying. Busy week.

I intend to record the music, so I can concentrate one "instrument" at a time.

The main purpose is to support voice lessons. In my price range, I have to choose between weighted or a sound I like, so I'll go with sound. I'll take the risk of having to adjust later if I take lessons. (The local Yamaha centre starts kids on unweighted keyboards and moves them to acoustic after a few years, so I should be able to find a teacher who looks for proper technique even if the current keyboard doesn't require it.)

What I'm hearing is none of the candidates are "well-known for shoddy quality" or "only the voices that are easy to reach in the store are any good". That's reasuring.

Thanks!

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Pianoteq vs Digital Piano vs Acoustic Piano
by wildpig
Yesterday at 11:57 PM
Baldwin Hamilton 1941
by JMN12
Yesterday at 11:13 PM
Tucson, AZ: Is Arizona Room a bad place for a piano?
by Paul678
Yesterday at 08:14 PM
Kissin plays...
by JoelW
Yesterday at 07:33 PM
For Sale : True Keys Pianos (bundle) American,Italian,Ger
man

by imyself
Yesterday at 05:51 PM
Who's Online
86 registered (AZNpiano, Allard, aesop, AB99, 23 invisible), 841 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76224 Members
42 Forums
157573 Topics
2314546 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission