2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
61 members (anotherscott, Bellyman, brennbaer, busa, Barly, 1957, btcomm, 11 invisible), 2,007 guests, and 345 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 113 of 341 1 2 111 112 113 114 115 340 341
jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by scepticalforumguy
Originally Posted by Scott Coletta

One more thing, regarding the earlier mentioned contribution of talent to the abilities of top musicians...I would recommend reading this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Talent-Overra...mp;ie=UTF8&qid=1296484588&sr=1-1

Yes, I've heard it's a good book and gives some ideas about that it's most likely a number of other attributes other than just talent. But the key thing to remember is that talent is simply an easier in to the things that need to be mastered. Those with less talent aren't exempt from learning the same concepts/feel/etc, but the amount of time and effort that is needed will be much different, depending on the starting point. Sometimes the starting points seem similar, but talent is a depth, not necessarily a surface measure.

But, I have not lost hope for myself, even though I know I am less talented than others. I just have adjusted my timelines and some expectations.

I was just reading the reviews of that book, which is about "Deliberate Practice". Apparently this is taken from another Book on "Outliers..." and that the complete formula is:

(Spelling errors corrected)

1. Deliberate Practice - the author cites verbatim with strong emphasis
2. World class coaching - Important but not emphasized well
3. Enthusiastic family support - Very important and not emphasized well

Not too many have access to #2.

Pianoclues.com for Beginners
My Jazz Blog
Hamburg Steinway O, Nord Electro 4 HP

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by jazzwee
Very solid Stella playing right there! thumb Very nice. I learned a little bit about what to with the LH there, particularly at the head.
Now you have a predominance of triplets 16ths here. For whatever reason, I'm discouraged from using triplet 16ths too much. But I hear everyone do it a lot, particulary at our jams.
So I'm at a loss about whose advice to follow. There are certain tempos though like 100bpm where it's slow for just constant eighths, but at the margins for doing 16ths for me.

Thanks. Yeah those pesky triplets, I don't try to play them consciously, they just tend to 'come out', but I really need to work on getting some 16ths and 32'nds flowing - but it is a work in progress smile
Here's Footprints from the same gig. Triplets galore again, but also something - hopefully - else.
And a version of Beatrice , with me working on melody and tone colour.
Any comments and/or critiques are appreciated.

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
I slowed down one of the longer eighth note lines and was surprised that my teacher was swinging it ever so slightly. He always told me he plays completely straight at 180. Noticeable offbeat accents which he always tells me to do. Offbeat lands exactly on the drummer's swung eighth position. The drag is very noticeable.

http://www.box.net/shared/e9xd5amq1b

In a continuous line, I don't detect any differences in downbeat length.

The evenness is amazing. The contrast against the drummer's Ding-A-Ding is pretty clear.

My Jazz Blog

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

Now you have a predominance of triplets 16ths here. For whatever reason, I'm discouraged from using triplet 16ths too much. But I hear everyone do it a lot, particulary at our jams.

Just to keep things on track here, I wanted to point out that Chris is not playing triplet sixteenths in this tune. They would be pretty fast if he did. The division is a triplet eighth. He does one or two little groups of sixteenth note runs, but they are straight sixteenths, not triplet.

Some nice playing there, Chris.

Recordings of my recent solo piano and piano/keyboard trio jazz standards.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I think we're almost on the same page.

So we discussed that the downbeat eighth cannot be consistently the size of a dotted eighth. If it's dragged, then it is slightly shorter than a dotted eighth and that's the way you play.

I was taught that dotted eighth-sixteenth is not the correct way to think of swing eighths. This would actually divide the beat in four parts and put the second eighth note on the fourth beat. I know that some music is notated this way, but it's not correct.

My teacher on the other hand plays straight eighths. But the question is how to "find" the swung offbeat position immediately. The only solid marker when you start a line is a downbeat.

I agree that the downbeat is a solid marker, but what I am thinking now is that the "official" downbeat (the 1st beat of a triplet) is not what's important. It's the upbeat that counts and should be the solid marker of the beat. The "official" downbeat is always implied, but if your eighths are straight, they are straight in line with the upbeat, which is your target, not the amount of drag after the "official" downbeat.

...subsequent notes can be played straight and it will always remain in sync with the offbeat swung eighth position. In fact, trying it out a few times, it doesn't seem to sound bad to occasionally sync to the downbeat...

In a trio for example... the drummer and bass player are playing the "official" downbeat. The drummer's ride also provides the swung upbeat (3rd beat of a triplet). The piano player, who is in sync with the upbeat, may play straight eighths or sixteenths whose downbeat is slightly after the "official" downbeat played by the drums and bass. Or the piano may occasionally sync up with the "official" downbeat, say by comping in the left hand or starting a line. But again, the important beat is the upbeat.

Now for someone that doesn't play straight eighths, the problem is similar. Since a slight drag sounds better, there's the possibility that the slight drag will take the offbeat off the groove.

Not if your reference point is the upbeat. The played downbeat can be wherever you want. Sometimes it may drag a little, sometimes it's in sync with the "official" downbeat which is always implied by the presence of the upbeat.

I saw Wynton Marsalis and the Lincoln Center Jazz Orchestra last night and I paid extra close attention to the way the band locked in. It became very apparent to me that the upbeat is the only beat that everyone always agrees on.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Check this out!!!!!!!!!!!! Live streamed jazz!!!! So cool Tigran on piano

http://www.smallsjazzclub.com/index.cfm?itemCategory=32338&siteid=272&priorId=0&banner=a

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Scott, we are completely in sync with the offbeat. That's what has to line up regardless of anything else. The only fixed offbeat marker is the drummer's 'A' in Ding-A-Ding.

I just emailed my teacher on this question and he really doesn't think of it in a measured sense. He said that if the offbeat doesn't line up, he just feels it and then adjusts accordingly.

So I was using the downbeat as a way to line up to the offbeat. But the alternate way is to feel the offbeat at all times. Maybe I'm back to Erskine's "Uh" because that really is more of a feeling.

The answer I got was that the offbeat is a "feeling". I extract from this that he means that the subdivision is so ingrained that he knows when he's off. But the other point though is that there's trial and error going on in finding the offbeat, and the difference between him and I is that he can adjust pretty fast while I have to think about it.

He told me this before on keeping the groove. It's not that he expects me to be in the groove from moment one, he says what he's looking for is an awareness of time and the ability to correct.

So I assume from this that at a world class level, they just correct so fast that you can't notice it. When I listened to the ATTYA recordings, I don't sense fixed lengths of notes. It's more varied than that. Was he adjusting lengths of notes leading to a phrase? It sounds like it was happening based on feel.

How do we train ourselves though to have that feel at all times? What's a good practice routine?

I just came back from the jam and I again have to wonder if I was conscious of the feel. There's so much stuff going on that (everything I did tonight was sightreading leadsheets!) that I didn't even know what lines to play. Much less have time to be so exacting with the groove. Did I remember Erskine's "Uh". heck no.

My Jazz Blog

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by chrisbell
Shere's 'Stella' from last friday. This time I tried to create space by not playing . . . but I found that its hard to "think different" when the drummer sticks to his guns. smile

I had my teacher listen to a recent recording of mine and he made a comment that was interesting and applied to most of us here. Even this version of Stella. He referred to my "Nervous energy" where a potentially good phrase is not allowed to ring because I move on and start a new phrase.

He's explaining to me that it's more than just the space. I think he's referring to phrase resolution. An exercise he did with me that really stuck was when the phrase sounded good, he yelled "STOP" so I don't play anything after and just hold the last note down.

I was beginning to get a sense of this but sometimes with too many things going on I lose awareness of this again. But I realized that we all tend to play like this. It's just series of notes to us. But more to the listener.

Even an isolated fragment can apparently have time to sink in by holding a note down and that's where the space counts.

I think this is a global comment. I don't hear any of us doing this. He's clearly doing it on the ATTYA lesson. Delineate the idea by letting some notes ring.

My Jazz Blog

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I slowed down one of the longer eighth note lines and was surprised that my teacher was swinging it ever so slightly. He always told me he plays completely straight at 180. Noticeable offbeat accents which he always tells me to do. Offbeat lands exactly on the drummer's swung eighth position. The drag is very noticeable.
Very cool to hear the drag.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
How do we train ourselves though to have that feel at all times? What's a good practice routine?

Funny, I asked my friend the drum teacher (head teacher of jazz drums at the Royal College here in town) that same thing yesterday, he said "play a lot with really good drummers" and "don't think, listen-react-respond". When I asked him to clarify, he said "the crux is to "play-a-lot", if you can't play in bands, go to classes, take up African drumming, etc etc in other words - immerse yourself in rhythm - and the old "listen listen listen" to the masters. "Get it all integrated".
If one can't find a drummer, get some really good drum loops and play to them.

I just came back from the jam and I again have to wonder if I was conscious of the feel. There's so much stuff going on that (everything I did tonight was sightreading leadsheets!) that I didn't even know what lines to play. Much less have time to be so exacting with the groove. Did I remember Erskine's "Uh". heck no.

It'll come. Great that you're exposing yourself and getting out there.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Even an isolated fragment can apparently have time to sink in by holding a note down and that's where the space counts.

Yes yes, this is all good!

You're really lucky to have access to such a performer as your teacher.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

So I was using the downbeat as a way to line up to the offbeat. But the alternate way is to feel the offbeat at all times. Maybe I'm back to Erskine's "Uh" because that really is more of a feeling.

The answer I got was that the offbeat is a "feeling". I extract from this that he means that the subdivision is so ingrained that he knows when he's off. But the other point though is that there's trial and error going on in finding the offbeat, and the difference between him and I is that he can adjust pretty fast while I have to think about it.

Wouldn't the feeling of the offbeat be learned the same way as the feeling of the downbeat? If we can learn to keep a steady beat on the downbeat, just do the same thing with the upbeat.

So I assume from this that at a world class level, they just correct so fast that you can't notice it. When I listened to the ATTYA recordings, I don't sense fixed lengths of notes. It's more varied than that. Was he adjusting lengths of notes leading to a phrase? It sounds like it was happening based on feel.

Yeah, I think this is the point of polyrhythms here. The upbeat is the point of reference and notes are adjusted by feeling other subdivisions besides the triplet, like straight eighths or sixteenths.

I'm going to try practicing with the metronome designating the upbeat. It's really tough to do! I used to practice with a triplet click track that emphasized the upbeat, but now I want to learn to do it with just the upbeat. It seems to me that this will work the same way it teaches to keep an even downbeat. I figure the worst thing it could do is give me a stronger sense of the upbeat. smile

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
I wonder what would happen if the drummer's swung eighth was louder on the ride cymbal. That's what we're really matching and in a typical rhythm section, it's not that easy to hear. I think the Erskine "Uh" is a good way to at least initially get centered on that offbeat position.

If you listened to the slowed down phrase snippet, you can hear the drum in the background and you can see that nothing really coincides with the piano except the offbeat swung eighth. So that whole environment almost sounds polyrhythmic since nothing one plays lands on any 4/4 downbeat or exact offbeat. It makes jazz pretty amazing when you think of this. Everything is off center.

My Jazz Blog

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Yes yes, this is all good!

You're really lucky to have access to such a performer as your teacher.

I have to keep listening to that ATTYA recording though to make this clear. He's identifying another layer for me to recognize and I'm noticing now that the importance of this statement is quite profound.

So to test my skills in feeling this point, I will comment on everyone's music to see if this is communicated in a solo.

My Jazz Blog

_
_
Hey all,

I haven't disappeared. I'm reading through this forum closely so I know exactly what is being discussed.

Fascinating discussions about time feel. I can say for certain that Erskine, as a former student of his, had time issues that he overcame through conscious practice. You can hear him rush the time on early Weather Report, for example. But he worked on his weakness and thoroughly overcame it.

In discussing this "uh" concept, I would add Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi's approach in his book "Flow". We move from 'conscious incompetence' to 'unconscious competence'. Be it playing piano or driving.

Intending what you do for a while, as in being consciously 'intentional' about it, will inevitably lead to an activity becoming automatic.

My two cents. smile

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Until then, here's 'Stella' from last friday. This time I tried to create space by not playing . . . but I found that its hard to "think different" when the drummer sticks to his guns. smile

Sounds good. cool Seems like your doing good finding space even though the drummer isn't really following as much as he could. Sometimes it seems like you are thinking about reharmonization in your lines but to me it just doesn't seem to fit. Some of it's good but there are places where the lines seem to be gravitating towards notes that aren't in context with the harmony. confused I wonder though if sometimes this has to do with what the bass is playing? I can definitely always hear the changes, it's just that some things sound too outside for my taste. Oh, and I like the chord stuff that you do starting at 6:30.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by _riverrun_
Hey all,

I haven't disappeared. I'm reading through this forum closely so I know exactly what is being discussed.

Fascinating discussions about time feel. I can say for certain that Erskine, as a former student of his, had time issues that he overcame through conscious practice. You can hear him rush the time on early Weather Report, for example. But he worked on his weakness and thoroughly overcame it.

In discussing this "uh" concept, I would add Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi's approach in his book "Flow". We move from 'conscious incompetence' to 'unconscious competence'. Be it playing piano or driving.

Intending what you do for a while, as in being consciously 'intentional' about it, will inevitably lead to an activity becoming automatic.

My two cents. smile

Great information here river, and it's comforting to know that the approach Eskine is advocating is what he may have used to overcome similar issues.

I also agree with your last sentence, which is what I was driving at from my original post about timing.

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Do you guys ever work on some classical? I started working on Chopin Etudes 10/1 and it's amazing how much of this applies to jazz. First, just the effect on my fingers 4 & 5 just in a couple of days is tremenduous. It changed the tone of my lines and evenness.

Clearly my technique issues are tied to fingers 4 & 5 but there's the stretch aspect too.

The only problem with this Etude is that you've got to find some separate practice for the LH which doesn't get much of a workout.

I'm so used to doing arpeggios fast and with a stretch that this wasn't nearly as difficult as I expected (at least not for a moderate tempo). I don't have to perform this ever but as a technique builder, it's more intense than any other exercise I've done.

My Jazz Blog

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
>> I started working on Chopin Etudes 10/1

Out of curiosity, how did you choose this piece?

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
I've been eyeing this for awhile and Chris Bell gave me a little encouragement.

Like I said, the arpeggio moves are so similar to what I already do a lot. You can really look at it as playing broken chords. This is apparently considered like some "impossible" piece for many but after trying it, I can see it is reachable for me. I can already play some bars at 3/4 of the required speed.

At first I only tried it for its arpeggio moves but then I realized it gets a lot of support from the weak fingers. Some stretches are hard on the hand but after playing through page 1, I think the only difficulty like anything else is playing sixteenths at the required 176bpm. That would take years.

Let me just say this. After practicing this, I did some improvisation and the whole feel changed. As a regular exercise it's fairly easy to memorize.

My Jazz Blog

Page 113 of 341 1 2 111 112 113 114 115 340 341

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission