2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
29 members (crab89, CraiginNZ, bwv543, Cominut, Colin Miles, Andre Fadel, 10 invisible), 1,231 guests, and 278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
OP Offline
Have read a few threads on beginners attempting to learn without a teacher.

Here are my challenges. I'm rural and 2 hours south of San Diego. My internet is via satellite and that means that YouTube videos deplete what little internet bandwidth available to me. I am an ignorant beginner.

I see Alfred, Faber and a few other books recommended. Any others? Also any DVD packages to get me through year 1? I'm headed to San Diego next week to buy learning material.

Might look for a Mexican teacher locally or find someone in San Diego to help me on occasion.

I do have the time to get in 1 hour per day. Thanks for all of your suggestions and knowledge. grin

Last edited by bajadock; 01/23/10 10:37 PM.
B
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
B
Hi bajadock,

What works best depends a lot on how you learn. A lot of people use the various courses successfully while others need the regular input and motivation that a teacher gives.

What might work for you is a combination of the two: if you can find a teacher that will work with you when you're able to get into the "big city", say once a month they can give you feedback on technique, posture, etc and provide "mid course corrections" to your self study. This could be valuable in preventing bad habits that you might pick up if you're completely self taught. They could also suggest repertoire that is suitable for your current level of play. The difficulty will be finding a teacher that will take you on those terms but San Diego is a big city so there should be lots of resources there.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Greg
C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
There are threads here for the Alfred series of books. Those look good. Very complete. Alfred also has CD and DVDs that go with the books. Plenty of people here using those books if you have questions.

Two hours S. of San Diego sounds like maybe quicker to Encenada than to go north and deal with border crossing. Lots of musicians there playing in all those bars. Someone had to teach them.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BB Player

What might work for you is a combination of the two: if you can find a teacher that will work with you when you're able to get into the "big city", say once a month they can give you feedback on technique, posture, etc and provide "mid course corrections" to your self study. This could be valuable in preventing bad habits that you might pick up if you're completely self taught.

Excellent advice.

Blues and Boogie-Woogie piano teacher.
R
R
Hi there,

You might take a look at my method (in my signature). It is a book, and I am currently releasing videos covering the whole thing. The videos download to your computer so you can watch them offline. Seems like that would help with your bandwidth issue.

A lot of people have success with Alfred, too.

As often as you can get with a real teacher, the better!

Good luck!

Rachel Jimenez Piano teacher in Brooklyn, NY / Author of Fundamental Keys method
Hi,

I think it's also depend on what you want to learn : classical pieces, pop/rock, blues/jazz (with improvisation) ?

I find easier to learn classical piece, OST, ... without a professor than jazz/blues standards. Often (taking the "Real Book" for example) you have only the chords (C, , Dm, G7, ...) for the left hand and you have to find how to play them : it's a lot easier with a teacher.

Currently working on :
- Bach : Invention #8 in F major, BWV 779
- Debussy : Prelude #8, The Girl With The Flaxen Hair
[Linked Image]
OP Offline
Update that I have found a reputable piano teacher here in Ensenada. Received the referral from a solid keyboard player in a popular rock band here.

My piano adventure reminds me of my early golf experience. 2 years on my own produced a 24 golf handicap, essentially shooting in the 90's on easy golf courses. A series of lessons with a golf pro moved my handicap down to 8 within 6 weeks.

Oscar Peterson and Monty Alexander are my favorite players. Hope to be able to play jazz standards in time. Very much appreciate your advice and guidance in this forum.

Still headed up to San Diego later this week to purchase self-learning materials. Saw the thread discussing Carl Humphries' Piano Handbook and Piano Workbook.

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
That's great news!! thumb

Carol
(Started playing July 2008)

[Linked Image]
K
K
Check the baja themed message boards and and the ensenada newspapers. I agree with another poster, Ensenada is just too big to not have quite a few piano teachers and having a teacher is a MUCH better way to go. I know, I've done it both ways.

Kurt

An ex-Baja Rat.

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission