2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
38 members (benkeys, Burkhard, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, 3 invisible), 1,339 guests, and 281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
jabe74 Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I'm new to the forum and looking for my first DP to augment or replace my acoustic. I'm considering the YPG635, which I can get at a nice price right now. But in looking through recent posts this model seems to get little respect, and I wonder why. Most people seem to prefer the costlier P-155.

I'd appreciate your thoughts on the differences, aside from cosmetics. I don't care about looks.

I'm an older amateur who returned to playing a few years ago after many years. I play mostly classical but am mildly curious about the "bells and whistles" the 635 offers.

C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by jabe74
I'm new to the forum and looking for my first DP to augment or replace my acoustic. I'm considering the YPG635, which I can get at a nice price right now. But in looking through recent posts this model seems to get little respect, and I wonder why. Most people seem to prefer the costlier P-155.

The 635 uses Yamaha's "GHS" key action while the P155 uses the "GH" key action. Also the piano sound inside the P155 is much better. The P155 is a much more realistic piano

For those who think the GHS key action is the best they can afford the P85 makes more sense because it has the GHS but costs less then the 635.

Yes the 635 has automatic accompaniment, drum loops and recording but if you have a computer you can do all that stuff much better using the computer.

Last edited by ChrisA; 01/25/10 01:40 PM.
J
jabe74 Offline OP
OP Offline
J
So better action and better internal sound with the P155, right? Or the same key action with the P85. Makes sense. Thanks, Chris.

Would there be any point in waiting for the release of the new Yamaha stage pianos? I know they're more expensive but I might be able to afford the CP50. How would that differ from the 155?

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
The CP50 does not have speakers.

Snazzy

Semper Gumby: Always flexible \:^)
C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by snazzyplayer
The CP50 does not have speakers.

Yes and to that I would add that it will use Yamaha's next version of their sound sample and speakers that are "good enough" will cost you $300 and up.

The CP50 is not yet in stores so few people have seen them and we don't yet know if they are really much different or if it is all Yahaha's marketing hype.

The current generation of Yamaha stage pianos sound is good but always could be better. I think it sounds pretty good when played softly and up to maybe "f" but does not handle "fff" convincingly. Part of this is the speakers but I think it is inherent to the key action and samples. Realistically I think we should only expect incremental improvements as their current over $1K DPs are pretty good.

Last edited by ChrisA; 01/25/10 03:27 PM.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ChrisA

Yes and to that I would add that it will use Yamaha's next version of their sound sample and speakers that are "good enough" will cost you $300 and up.

Actually, my favorite, the Logitech Z-2300 Stereo 2.1 speaker system, is under $200 and sounds astonishing on a digital piano, surpassing most built in speakers on even high end digitals.

These speakers are often overlooked because they are sold as computer speakers, and though they are, they were found to sound incredibly good on digital pianos and/or arranger keyboards.

I'm serious...they are very good, and not to be dismissed without at least a try out...I am on several other keyboard forums, and there are many players very happy using these for home use, and even for small gigs.

My average sounding P-85 has a remarkably great sound through the Logitechs.

Snazzy

V
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
V
I think that just for having fun, the YPG series is fine. One of the biggest limitations is the internal volume, which is quite low. The "live", "cool" and "sweet" voices are well-implemented (better than Casio's equivalents, IMO) and some of the extra functions add value. However, if you're intending to start practicing classical music again, it may not be the best tool. The dynamic range is limited and you may find that it constrains your ability to play with sufficient expression. Like others have said, it would be worth considering the Yamaha P155 and, if funds are limited, the Casio PX-130/330/730/830, although I believe that for basic piano tone and playability, the Yamaha beats the Casio.

"you don't need to have been a rabbit in order to become a veterinarian"

mabraman, 2015
J
jabe74 Offline OP
OP Offline
J
So I take it the P155 is already a pretty darned good DP, and the CP50 is an unknown quantity at this point. Other than Chris, I haven't heard anyone comment on the 635, my original question. Maybe he pretty well summed things up: better keyboard, better sound samples in the 155.

But I'm still curious. Is the 635 looked down on here because it's more than a straight DP? Or does it have any real deficiencies I should be aware of. If the onboard speakers are not too good, I can use headphones or, I assume, pipe the sound to my stereo or external speakers.

Thanks, jabe74.

J
jabe74 Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Folks, I am leaning more and more toward the P155 at this point, but right now that means an extra $400.

Is $1,200 the going rate online or does someone know of a better deal.

Thanks, jabe74.

C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C

It depends on what you want to do. Actually the softer GHS keys on the 635 are better suited to playing non-piano sounds. You really don't want weighted hammer action keys if you are playing a flute sound.

The 635 has a pitch bend wheel and you really do need this for many instrument sounds. Guitar sounds especially need it to simulate a hammer on or pull off. But pianos can't bend notes you don't find this on most DPs.

Same with accompaniment loops. If you want to play with these then you want the 635.

So it depends on your goals. The P155 is better suited to solo classical piano.

J
jabe74 Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted by voxpops
I think that just for having fun, the YPG series is fine. One of the biggest limitations is the internal volume, which is quite low. The "live", "cool" and "sweet" voices are well-implemented (better than Casio's equivalents, IMO) and some of the extra functions add value. However, if you're intending to start practicing classical music again, it may not be the best tool.

Thanks, vox. I didn't see your reply earlier. That's great advice, and answers some of my questions about the 635. jabe74

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I think many so called "piano players" look down on the YPG-635 because it has an accompaniment section, meaning it's fun to play and not to be taken seriously.

The GHS action is more than fine by my fingers (my P-85 has it), and I've been playing for some time...it's a bit lighter than some, but heavier than others...sort of a Baby Bear's keyboard...just right. wink

I like keyboards with accompaniments, and use an arranger (PSR-S910) for solo gigs, and it's a lot of fun and it teaches you timing and how music is arranged for different styles or genres.

I have several friends using YPG/DGX pianos, and they like them a lot...it's sort of an arranger keyboard with 88 nicely weighted keys.

If you're not interested in Carnegie Hall, and you want to have fun playing piano, and playing music, it is a fine instrument, and made by a company that leads the pack in both arrangers and pianos...of course, the last part is purely my own opinion.

Snazzy

J
jabe74 Offline OP
OP Offline
J
More excellent advice. Thank you Chris and Snazzy. Now I'm wavering again.

I'm not going to be a concert pianist, but I would like a fine keyboard -- something like the old Baldwin Acrosonic upright I used to play. I am curious about the add-ons of the 635, but because I've never had access to them before I have no idea whether I'd use them long-run or soon lose interest. It's not like I play in a band and need them.

I understand the P155 is a better pure piano. But would I be right to assume the 635 is pretty much equivalent to the P85, with the addition of a pitch wheel and accompaniment loops?

jabe74

G
G
Snazzy, you mentioned that you are in other several keyboard forums. Can you mention some of the best, in our mind ? I'd like to give them a look. Thanks.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I've never actually played a YPG-635, but from what I understand of it, it goes something like this:

YPG-635 = A lot more voices, accompaniments, pitch bend wheel etc.
P-155 = A lot less voices, no accompaniments, but superior piano sound and touch.

So it really just depends on what you're looking for. If you want to have fun playing show tunes with neat sound effects etc. then the YPG-635 might be more your thing, if you primarily want to play using the piano sound then go with the P-155, IMHO it would be worth saving the extra money for.

I just bought a P-155 last week, I've got some recordings made on it. I had to buy blind because there are no dealers around me and I couldn't find many good sound samples to listen to online, so I'll send you a private message with some samples. I'm very happy with it, but then I mostly only wanted piano sounds which is why I chose it. Hope this helps you somewhat.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by gerardo1000
Snazzy, you mentioned that you are in other several keyboard forums. Can you mention some of the best, in our mind ? I'd like to give them a look. Thanks.

I'm a lurker on some and contribute most times on the others, but I like this forum the best...there are some fine people on this forum, with some great opinions and knowledge.

I'm on The Keyboard Corner (connected with Keyboard Magazine), Yamaha Personal Keyboard Owner (or YPKO as it's often referred to) Synth Zone BBS (several members on this forum are pros that use the Logitech Z-2300 and Z-5500), PSR Tutorial, and Yamaha CVP Forum are a few that come immediately to mind.

Snazzy

Hi Jabe,

I think that most folks get tired of the jim-jams sooner or later, whereas nobody gets tired of having a more decent piano sound and action. With all but the best piano sounds, most of us eventually get irritated by one or another sound artifact, and that is a real downer when you bought the DP for your playing pleasure.

Unless you have a desperate need for the extras on the YPG, I'd go for the
P-155. Besides, playing along with an accompaniment gets old pretty fast. It'd be a lot more fun to get together with some live musicians...

Good luck with your purchase. For price competitiveness, some folks on this forum recommend calling Guitar Centre and asking them for a deal,

Jonathan

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Yamaha Personal Keyboard Owner (or YPKO as it's often referred to) , PSR Tutorial

I didn't know you were THAT old Snazzy ..... wink

"I'm still an idiot and I'm still in love" - Blue Sofa - The Plugz 1981 (Tito Larriva)
Disclosure : I am professionally associated with Arturia but my sentiments are my own only.
Jabe74,

Have you considered testing the Roland FP-4 which, at a price equivalent to Yamaha P-155 combines a good keyboard, a good piano sound + many voices and great auto-accompaniment features?

I was about to buy the Yamaha YPG and ended up with a Roland, but be sure to try before you buy, and trust your ears and your choice.

Adult Beginner on a Roland FP-7
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Dr Popper
Yamaha Personal Keyboard Owner (or YPKO as it's often referred to) , PSR Tutorial

I didn't know you were THAT old Snazzy ..... wink

Strangely enough, I was thinking you were much older than I... wink

Thankfully neither of us have matured. smirk

Snazzy

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission