Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
69 registered (BabyCat, Ben_NZ, AZNpiano, angga888, beet31425, 21 invisible), 1266 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#1358069 - 01/25/10 08:55 PM Which piece made you play the piano? ... need help!
Jeff Hao Offline

Loc: Hong Kong
Hi.

I am working on publishing a series of sheet music books on the Hao Staff (for adult beginners), with the captioned theme.

Many people are drawn into playing piano because of that thought ... about a tune heard long ago as a child, or a tune just heard over the radio ... For example, many (like myself) "fell in" because of Fur Elise.

It does not have to be the first piece that you played (which may have served as means to an end), but it is the piece that finally hooked you into having a serious go at it (maybe touching the keyboard again after many years), with the thought "I'd live in bliss forever if I can one day play that"!

Of course, once fallen, it does not stop at that piece, as we all know.

If you had a similar experience, could you share it here with all and me? Hope you don't mind my quoting your experience in the books.

Thank you.
Jeff Hao

Edited by BB Player (01/26/10 10:30 AM)
Edit Reason: Changed thread title at OP's request

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#1358125 - 01/25/10 10:08 PM Re: If I could only play one piece in my life... need your help! [Re: Jeff Hao]
Mark_C Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
Yes -- that's an easy one: Chopin's A-flat Polonaise (Op. 53)

In summer camp they used to give us these songs to sing, like in "color war" smile (probably some of y'all had that too). One of those songs, I just totally loved. In my first piano lesson after I got back home, I told my teacher about it, and she said, that's from Chopin's Polonaise! I had no idea it was from a classical piece, and when I heard it was, that made me want to keep going until I was able to try to play it.

#1358151 - 01/25/10 10:46 PM Re: If I could only play one piece in my life... need your help! [Re: Mark_C]
Jeff Hao Offline

Thank you, Mark C ! I found it. This one! I totally understand how you fell victim to it. And I know especially at which part smile ! It's in !

http://haostaff.com - FREE sheets download (Grand and Hao Staff)

Over 100 most well-known pieces of all genres, and growing fast
... make it one of your FREE online resources

http://facebook.com/haostaffpiano

#1358155 - 01/25/10 10:49 PM Re: If I could only play one piece in my life... need your help! [Re: Jeff Hao]
Jeff Hao Offline

Interesting there is a parallel thread running at this moment about the lingo "songs" or "pieces". I chuckled seeing your post smile

#1358157 - 01/25/10 10:52 PM Re: If I could only play one piece in my life... need your help! [Re: Jeff Hao]
Mark_C Offline

yeah smile

(same teacher)

#1358159 - 01/25/10 10:55 PM Re: If I could only play one piece in my life... need your help! [Re: Mark_C]
stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Here, as opposed to there
I could die a happy man if I were to ever conquer Rach 3. It's not the work that "hooked" me into taking on the piano, but then, I can't really remember what got me hooked 40 years ago.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

#1358162 - 01/25/10 10:56 PM Re: If I could only play one piece in my life... need your help! [Re: Jeff Hao]
4evrBeginR Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: California
I cannot decide between this:

or the 3rd movement:

#1358175 - 01/25/10 11:13 PM Re: If I could only play one piece in my life... need your help! [Re: 4evrBeginR]
Jeff Hao Offline

I can's see the videos(?) 4evr88keys posted. Are they the 1st Mov and 3rd Mov of Rach 3?
The beginning of 1st mov hit me. I have not heard it before, but it hit me. It is a concerto ... does any one have a solo version?

#1358182 - 01/25/10 11:28 PM Re: If I could only play one piece in my life... need your help! [Re: Jeff Hao]
stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member

No, they're definitely not Rach 3. The videos he posted are from the "Yellow River Piano Concerto"....a world of difference from Rach 3.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

♪ ≠ $

#1358191 - 01/25/10 11:42 PM Re: If I could only play one piece in my life... need your help! [Re: Jeff Hao]
Strings & Wood Offline

Gold member until Dec. 2012

Loc: USA
Jeff,
I am surprised that you cannot see them. Try this link.
The Yellow River Concerto
They are quite good.

#1358192 - 01/25/10 11:42 PM Re: If I could only play one piece in my life... need your help! [Re: Jeff Hao]
4evrBeginR Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: California
Sorry Jeff. I forgot that China censors your access. What I posted was Nadia Weintraub's performance of the Yellow River Concerto with the The Herzliya Chamber Orchestra in Israel. You need know how to bypass the firewall by using one of many foreign proxy servers reachable in Hong Kong out of the country in order to watch it.

I particularly love the 2nd and 3rd movements.

#1358197 - 01/25/10 11:50 PM Re: If I could only play one piece in my life... need your help! [Re: 4evrBeginR]
Strings & Wood Offline

Gold member until Dec. 2012

Quote:
Sorry Jeff. I forgot that China censors your access.
frown ... I forgot as well.

#1358202 - 01/26/10 12:05 AM Re: If I could only play one piece in my life... need your help! [Re: Strings & Wood]
Frozenicicles Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
One piece that I'd love to master is La Campanella. Still too chicken to ask about it though.
But...if I could only play ONE piece my whole life, I'd like it to be something varied, like Schumann's Carnaval.

Edited by Frozenicicles (01/26/10 12:37 AM)
Edit Reason: spelling

#1358223 - 01/26/10 12:31 AM Re: If I could only play one piece in my life... need your help! [Re: Frozenicicles]
piano_primo_1 Offline

Loc: Pittsburgh,PA
Just ONE? How about top 10?
Gives me some pause for thinking.

#1358226 - 01/26/10 12:33 AM Re: If I could only play one piece in my life... need your help! [Re: Frozenicicles]
stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Frozenicicles
One piece that I'd love to master is La Campanella. Still too chicken to ask about it though.
But...if I could only play ONE piece my whole life, I'd like it to be something varied, like Schumann's Carnival.

Great choice with the Schumann...CarnAval is my favorite work of his wink

♪ ≠ $

#1358229 - 01/26/10 12:35 AM Re: If I could only play one piece in my life... need your help! [Re: Frozenicicles]
Jeff Hao Offline

Thank you, guys. Yep, no youtube for me. But I know Yellow River Concerto pretty well and have it on CD. Will listen to it. La Campanella ... new and I will find out.

Listening to Schumann's Carnival now ...

It would be great if you guys can share some personal experience with the piece mentioned, like Mark C did. If included, I will quote straight from your post smile.

#1358230 - 01/26/10 12:38 AM Re: If I could only play one piece in my life... need your help! [Re: Jeff Hao]
Jeff Hao Offline

La Campanella - of course! This one piece that I have listened to countless times but still somehow have not gotten to finding out about its original name. "The Clock" in Chinese, and I just got used to it smile

#1358231 - 01/26/10 12:38 AM Re: If I could only play one piece in my life... need your help! [Re: stores]
Frozenicicles Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
Originally Posted By: stores
Originally Posted By: Frozenicicles
But...if I could only play ONE piece my whole life, I'd like it to be something varied, like Schumann's Carnival.

Great choice with the Schumann...CarnAval is my favorite work of his wink

Haha, thanks for pointing that out. Corrected! I actually don't even play this piece, but I'd rather play something with a lot of variety since it'll be the rest of my life after all... wink

#1358232 - 01/26/10 12:42 AM Re: If I could only play one piece in my life... need your help! [Re: piano_primo_1]
Jeff Hao Offline

Originally Posted By: pianonewbie1
Just ONE? How about top 10?
Gives me some pause for thinking.

Do take your time smile
I am more looking for personal experiences of "the first piece that did it for me", instead of my favorite pieces.

The collective contribution of everyone undoubtedly will result in the latter.

I am thinking about editing and marketing already smile

But thank you!

#1358241 - 01/26/10 12:58 AM Re: If I could only play one piece in my life... need your help! [Re: Frozenicicles]
DancinDigits Offline

Hello Jeff!

Gosh - there are just so many beautiful pieces out there! But I remember one that just stuck to my soul and is there till this day - Chopin's "Fantasie" Impromptu in C-sharp minor, Op. 66 No. 4.

As a kid I use to attend concerts with my aunts and cousin. They bought season's tickets to the NJ Symphony Orchestra performances and they would always invite me along. Sometimes, there would be a guest pianist - and it was there that I was first introduced to Chopin's Impromptu.

I can't for the life of me remember who the pianist was - but the music transported me away to another world. It was there that I fell in love music from the Romantic era, and in particular, Chopin.

Now, whenver I want to be transported away from this world, I grab my CDs and play Chopin.

Someday I hope to play his Impromptu. Someday. . . . . .

#1358250 - 01/26/10 01:09 AM Re: If I could only play one piece in my life... need your help! [Re: Jeff Hao]
Teodor Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Bulgaria
I've been wanting to play piano since I was four years old. I don't recall much but I do remember that I was being taught how to read and write by my grandmother who was overly ambitious about me. She had a nice upright piano and I remember sitting at it and just pressing the keys back then and I asked her to teach me. She was more interested in teaching me other things though... So in the end I could read my children's books and short stories by the time I was 5 and I could also write but I never learned a thing about music because no one in the family was interested in music and so they didn't care enough to introduce me either.

Sixteen years later, and two years before graduating from college, I find myself thinking about piano again. At first I tried learning the guitar because it was inexpensive to get one but I quickly realized it's not for me. I saw a tutorial of a song by a singer I really like called Stars Falling down, very simple tune but it made me want to be able to play it. That, plus Fur Elise, of course... I had been trying to figure out the main theme since I was 10 or so during the ocassional visit to my grandparents house. So I saved up some money and bought a cheap keyboard. It didn't take me long to learn those two "songs" and I was soon able to play even the first part of Fur Elise decently. But 2 weeks after I started I decided I want to learn much more than that and got a teacher. I started working on building up theory and practice at the same time. I'm watching documentaries about composers, reading about music and listening to a lot of classical. So far it's been a wonderful trip. I had my doubts and maybe I still have some but I am steadily moving forward towards the future... My ultimate goal is to be able to play all movements of the Pathetique Sonata as well as lots of Chopin, even his most difficult pieces.

Edited by Teodor (01/26/10 01:18 AM)

Recitals:

#1358254 - 01/26/10 01:20 AM Re: If I could only play one piece in my life... need your help! [Re: Jeff Hao]
Mark_C Offline

Originally Posted By: Jeff Hao
.....I am more looking for personal experiences of "the first piece that did it for me", instead of my favorite pieces....

Jeff: Here's the problem......

The title of the thread is misleading. Most people are answering the title rather than the 1st post.
If there's a way to edit the title, you really should. Otherwise, you'll keep getting mostly what you've been getting.

#1358299 - 01/26/10 03:10 AM Re: If I could only play one piece in my life... need your help! [Re: Mark_C]
Jeff Hao Offline

Originally Posted By: Mark_C
.....I am more looking for personal experiences of "the first piece that did it for me", instead of my favorite pieces....

Jeff: Here's the problem......

The title of the thread is misleading. Most people are answering the title rather than the 1st post.
If there's a way to edit the title, you really should. Otherwise, you'll keep getting mostly what you've been getting.

Thanks, Mark C. I don't seem to be able to amend the original post's title. Amended title for this one, let's see whether the thread's title changes.

Many thanks.

#1358357 - 01/26/10 06:01 AM Re: If I could only play one piece in my life... need your help! [Re: Jeff Hao]
al-mahed Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Rio de Janeiro
Hi Jeff,

What happened in my case: I was listening one of those CD selections of classical themes with 10 or 15 songs, I don recall exactly, and the Chopin's op 9-2 was clearly what kept my atention. I used to listening Richard Wagner when I was studying to some very hard tests to get a job here in my country (side note: here in Brazil we don't have interviews to get a spot in the federal goverment staff, and it's not like US where the best jobs are outside the public sector, here the best ones are at the federal government and you have to pass some tests to get one of the 1.000 spots against sometimes 500.000 people trying the same sick, I don't know how this works in China).

Then I found another CD from a Readers Digest collection and listened to clair de lune (debussy) and chopin étude op 10-3 by the first time. Needless to say that I fell in love for the piano right the way.

Working on: music

#1358363 - 01/26/10 06:28 AM Re: If I could only play one piece in my life... need your help! [Re: al-mahed]
Elissa Milne Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
Hi Jeff, I think you will find "La Campanella" means "The Little Bell"......

Edited by Elissa Milne (01/26/10 06:28 AM)
www.elissamilne.wordpress.com

#1358408 - 01/26/10 08:26 AM Re: If I could only play one piece in my life... need your help! [Re: Elissa Milne]
John_B Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Bristol, UK
If I had to name a single piece that has lead me back to re-starting the piano after getting on for 40 years it would be the Andante from Schubert's D960 Piano Sonata - the dream that it *might* *just* *perhaps* be possible to attempt it eventually. (In the hands of a great musician it is one of those movements tears come to my eyes and where time seems to stand still.)

I got to know the sonata many years ago through Brendel's recordings and live performances:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPZgp_yU6Qs

But I also love Clifford Curzon's different approach:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAxIMueuv2o

(I suspect this isn't what the opening post was asking for though wink )

Edited by John_B (01/26/10 08:27 AM)

#1358421 - 01/26/10 08:55 AM Re: If I could only play one piece in my life... need your help! [Re: Jeff Hao]
piano_primo_1 Offline

Loc: Pittsburgh,PA
I know that the piece that I heard was "live" and touched -moved me...I could really "feel" it, from a pianist working part time selling pianos in a mall. I didn't know what the piece was, I then decided I wanted to play myself.....That was over 20 years ago- and I just started playing a year sgo myself.
Now , the piece I want to play is this---THE ONE THAT I COMPOSE MYSELF .

#1358428 - 01/26/10 09:17 AM Re: If I could only play one piece in my life... need your help! [Re: piano_primo_1]
stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member

John B., I can certainly understand why that work is your inspiration. The Bflat is, by far, my favorite Schubert sonata. I own that Brendel DVD (as well as the studio recording). de Larrocha's version of the same sonata is another favorite of mine that's greatly underappreciated.

♪ ≠ $

#1358464 - 01/26/10 10:09 AM Re: If I could only play one piece in my life... need your help! [Re: John_B]
Jeff Hao Offline

I am touched by all of you. Some music mentioned are those that I love dearly. Chopin piecies, Al-Mahed, the Op.9-2 I play still play every other day. And I have just mastered the most touching part of Etude Op.10-3, going on to try the middle part.

Teodor thanks for sharing your experience. I am interested to look up what Star Falling Down is like smile

Pianonewbie1, I hope one day you will find the piece that you heard 20 years ago in the mall smile.

Some are new to me (at least by title, but perhaps not by sound). I have no doubt that they have "the power". Rest assured that I will listen to them all. And THANK YOU !!! Thank you, John B. It's getting late here in Beijing, but I will check out "the Andante" soon. (unfortunately youtube links don't work here frown ).

Quote:
Hi Jeff, I think you will find "La Campanella" means "The Little Bell"......

Elissa, thank you so much for telling me that. In Chinese, Clock and Bell share the same word ... smile. Now I know which "djung" it is !

#1358522 - 01/26/10 11:21 AM Re: If I could only play one piece in my life... need your help! [Re: Jeff Hao]
Mark_C Offline

.....to amend the original post's title. Amended title for this one, let's see whether the thread's title changes....

Looks like it worked! thumb

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
- > Gift Ideas for Music Lovers < -
From PianoSupplies.com a division of Piano World.
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Which Treble Mute works the Best?
by Paul678
Today at 04:39 AM
Blubbering and friction
by music32
Today at 03:22 AM
Merry Christmas!
by ZikO
Today at 03:05 AM
Urgent need of help to learn Songs
by Fominator
Today at 02:11 AM
Freaked out by how roughly movers handled piano, need advice
by kaustin
Today at 01:36 AM
Forum Stats
77349 Members
42 Forums
159973 Topics
2349292 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission