2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
30 members (crab89, CraiginNZ, bwv543, Cominut, Colin Miles, Andre Fadel, BWV846, 10 invisible), 1,234 guests, and 281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
OP Offline
I can't help feeling emotional ... reading your stories and listening to the pieces in them.

This thread is everything and more of what I needed.

Thank you, ALL, for sharing!

Jeff

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
In that case, I have a little more for you. smile

I mentioned that I got hooked by a song in summer camp -- a song that was based on a theme from a Chopin polonaise. I knew that most of the music at the camp was done by a particular counselor.

So a few years ago, since now it was possible to find people via the internet, I went looking for him, to tell him how he had influenced me and how I still remember a lot of the other music stuff from back then, over 40 years ago. But particularly how that song had motivated me in such a significant way.

I found him, and we spoke by phone. He had gone on to an important career -- not involving music, but humanitarian stuff, which is sort of the same thing. smile

He was thrilled over how someone remembered, not to mention was so influenced.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Avie Layne
I've been playing "self taught" chords for about 10 years and was content with that, reading only the right hand. However, a few months ago my SO played Enya's "Tea House Moon" for me on a CD. It has such a simple but beautiful melody that took me back to a time as a little girl that I wanted so badly to learn to play the piano, which was financially not possible. Hearing that song made me want to not only learn how to play it, but to play all of the beautiful pieces that I dearly love. Yes, I am learning to play "Tea House Moon" Sometime in the next 6-months we will be purchasing a baby grand for my studio. The first piece I want to play and play well on that piano is "Tea House Moon".

I guess this also answers the question to "Which thread made you post for the first time on PianoWorld."

Welcome to the forums.

Roland FP-7 / Pianoteq 4.5.1
[Linked Image]
V
V
For me...

I was missing my brother, who had left for college. I was listening to recordings of pieces he used to play (back then, I didn't pay much attention to classical music at all). I was listening to a Chopin CD by Alexis Weissenberg, with some nocturnes, mazurkas, and waltz's. My brother used to play the Nocturne Op. 55/1 , but I got seriously hooked after I heard the Waltz Op. 70/3. Right away, I learned it, and started playing more and more Chopin...

(couldn't find Weissenberg's recording on youtube)

Originally Posted by John_B
If I had to name a single piece that has lead me back to re-starting the piano after getting on for 40 years it would be the Andante from Schubert's D960 Piano Sonata

Funny coincidence that I discovered the piece only a few days after your post! I should have read this thread sooner :P

Last edited by eggsdeee; 02/01/10 03:15 AM.
Originally Posted by eggsdeee
For me......I got seriously hooked after I heard the Waltz Op. 70/3. Right away, I learned it, and started playing more and more Chopin...

Cool!!
I love that little piece. It's little-known and rarely played. (I do play it.)

I came to love it from an LP of Chopin's Waltzes by Alexander Brailowsky.

OP Offline
Originally Posted by Mark_C
In that case, I have a little more for you. smile

He was thrilled over how someone remembered, not to mention was so influenced.

You did the right thing, Mark_C, making an effort to tell him ... I can't bear to picture myself in his shoes, I mean the moment he heard from you about it.

Which reminds me ... we all have a few people that influenced (changed) us in the past, and they probably have no idea about it. Have we let them know that?

Probably we don't enough.....

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by eggsdeee
Funny coincidence that I discovered the piece only a few days after your post! I should have read this thread sooner :P

One of the great things I find about music is that there is always so much more to discover!

J
J
Sonata Pathétique - My grandmother drove me crazy as a child playing "Tiny Bubbles" over and over and over. I hated the piano. At my grandfather's funeral, someone played Beethoven. It was the first time I'd ever heard a classical piano piece, and I instantly fell in love. It is still one of my all-time favorites.

99% of what I produce at the piano is simply noise, but that other 1%? That's music.
OP Offline
Sonata Pathétique (I am sure we all mean the 2nd Mov.), yes, of course. Rachel J also mentioned it earlier ... I am sure it converted more than the two of you smile. It made my eyes feel funny again just now.

To me, this and Chopin's Etude 10-3 (beginning and ending part) represents piano music (perhaps the Andante type, but then Andante is my all time favorite).

Both have simple, yet powerfully gripping melody (perpetuated by perhaps not so simple chords). The difference ... Chopin's is shorter (and different technique), while Pathétique 2nd Mov. gives us more time to indulge smile.

Thank you Rachel and jlynne. It's definitely in!

Jeff

OP Offline
... perhaps followed by "Tiny Bubbles" smile ... I like your story a lot !

J
J
Originally Posted by Jeff Hao
... perhaps followed by "Tiny Bubbles" smile ... I like your story a lot !

That would be cruel. But if you do, be sure to note that it is properly accompanied by a 6 year old armed with a comb and tissue paper. I kid you not. shocked

99% of what I produce at the piano is simply noise, but that other 1%? That's music.
OP Offline
There is more than enough material (I hate to call it that ... treasure sounds more like it) for us to work on the first two or three books (don't want them to be big books).

But contributions like above are ALWAYS welcome (needed in fact). And I quickly realised that this thread itself is a great resource for all. Many thanks!

Jeff

T
T
Kiss the Rain by Yiruma

OP Offline
Yes, of course. This piece is mentioned a lot in the same survey I am doing on some Chinese piano forums.

One would appreciate why as soon as it is played smile

N
N
For me it was probably Schubert's Impromptu Op. 90 No. 3. I was quite smitten with it when I first heard it via Michael Nyman's arrangement in Gattaca. Unfortunately I've been too busy and/or lazy to actually start learning piano until recently, so I'm now trying to make up for lots of lost time.

Of course, I've since started listening to a whole slew of terrific pieces by Chopin, Lizst, Debussy, etc., that I hope to (no, that I WILL grin) play someday!

W
W
It was actually last week. I was watching a Japanese film entitled "Tokyo Sonata." At the end a kid played Debussy's "Clair de Lune." It was such a great introspective film, that I was just in the perfect mindframe to hear this piece. The way the bass notes rumbled, with that beautiful motif over the top. It was just the sound of freedom. All my emotional baggage gently slid off of the cloud I was on.

Buying a digital piano tomorrow.

OP Offline
! I will check it out myself ! smile
Thanks, WWW :), for sharing this!

Jeff

OP Offline
It has been some time. I owe everyone here an update on the project. Many of your sharing have resulted in a category "This piece inspired me" on the website. ALL of your comments and stories are attached to the pieces related. And the book series is coming out soon (book cover being designed).

I feel that this questionaire is nowhere near being exhausted. So if you have just come across it, please do not hesitate to share your own personal story, even if it overlaps with the others' stories. It says more about the pieces, if they are mentioned again and again.

Thanks!

Jeff

A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission