2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, anotherscott, bcalvanese, 1957, beeboss, 7sheji, 11 invisible), 1,602 guests, and 336 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
OP Offline
Hi.

I am working on publishing a series of sheet music books on the Hao Staff (for adult beginners), with the captioned theme.

Many people are drawn into playing piano because of that thought ... about a tune heard long ago as a child, or a tune just heard over the radio ... For example, many (like myself) "fell in" because of Fur Elise.

It does not have to be the first piece that you played (which may have served as means to an end), but it is the piece that finally hooked you into having a serious go at it (maybe touching the keyboard again after many years), with the thought "I'd live in bliss forever if I can one day play that"!

Of course, once fallen, it does not stop at that piece, as we all know.

If you had a similar experience, could you share it here with all and me? Hope you don't mind my quoting your experience in the books.

Thank you.
Jeff Hao

Last edited by BB Player; 01/26/10 11:30 AM. Reason: Changed thread title at OP's request
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yes -- that's an easy one: Chopin's A-flat Polonaise (Op. 53)

In summer camp they used to give us these songs to sing, like in "color war" smile (probably some of y'all had that too). One of those songs, I just totally loved. In my first piano lesson after I got back home, I told my teacher about it, and she said, that's from Chopin's Polonaise! I had no idea it was from a classical piece, and when I heard it was, that made me want to keep going until I was able to try to play it.

OP Offline
Thank you, Mark C ! I found it. This one! I totally understand how you fell victim to it. And I know especially at which part smile ! It's in !

OP Offline
Interesting there is a parallel thread running at this moment about the lingo "songs" or "pieces". I chuckled seeing your post smile

yeah smile

(same teacher)

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I could die a happy man if I were to ever conquer Rach 3. It's not the work that "hooked" me into taking on the piano, but then, I can't really remember what got me hooked 40 years ago.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I cannot decide between this:

or the 3rd movement:

OP Offline
I can's see the videos(?) 4evr88keys posted. Are they the 1st Mov and 3rd Mov of Rach 3?
The beginning of 1st mov hit me. I have not heard it before, but it hit me. It is a concerto ... does any one have a solo version?

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
No, they're definitely not Rach 3. The videos he posted are from the "Yellow River Piano Concerto"....a world of difference from Rach 3.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

♪ ≠ $

Gold member until Dec. 2012
1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
Jeff,
I am surprised that you cannot see them. Try this link.
The Yellow River Concerto
They are quite good.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Sorry Jeff. I forgot that China censors your access. What I posted was Nadia Weintraub's performance of the Yellow River Concerto with the The Herzliya Chamber Orchestra in Israel. You need know how to bypass the firewall by using one of many foreign proxy servers reachable in Hong Kong out of the country in order to watch it.

I particularly love the 2nd and 3rd movements.

1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
Sorry Jeff. I forgot that China censors your access.
frown ... I forgot as well.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
One piece that I'd love to master is La Campanella. Still too chicken to ask about it though.
But...if I could only play ONE piece my whole life, I'd like it to be something varied, like Schumann's Carnaval.

Last edited by Frozenicicles; 01/26/10 01:37 AM. Reason: spelling
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Just ONE? How about top 10?
Gives me some pause for thinking.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Frozenicicles
One piece that I'd love to master is La Campanella. Still too chicken to ask about it though.
But...if I could only play ONE piece my whole life, I'd like it to be something varied, like Schumann's Carnival.

Great choice with the Schumann...CarnAval is my favorite work of his wink

♪ ≠ $

OP Offline
Thank you, guys. Yep, no youtube for me. But I know Yellow River Concerto pretty well and have it on CD. Will listen to it. La Campanella ... new and I will find out.

Listening to Schumann's Carnival now ...

It would be great if you guys can share some personal experience with the piece mentioned, like Mark C did. If included, I will quote straight from your post smile.

OP Offline
La Campanella - of course! This one piece that I have listened to countless times but still somehow have not gotten to finding out about its original name. "The Clock" in Chinese, and I just got used to it smile

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by stores
Originally Posted by Frozenicicles
But...if I could only play ONE piece my whole life, I'd like it to be something varied, like Schumann's Carnival.

Great choice with the Schumann...CarnAval is my favorite work of his wink

Haha, thanks for pointing that out. Corrected! I actually don't even play this piece, but I'd rather play something with a lot of variety since it'll be the rest of my life after all... wink

OP Offline
Originally Posted by pianonewbie1
Just ONE? How about top 10?
Gives me some pause for thinking.

Do take your time smile
I am more looking for personal experiences of "the first piece that did it for me", instead of my favorite pieces.

The collective contribution of everyone undoubtedly will result in the latter.

I am thinking about editing and marketing already smile

But thank you!

Hello Jeff!

Gosh - there are just so many beautiful pieces out there! But I remember one that just stuck to my soul and is there till this day - Chopin's "Fantasie" Impromptu in C-sharp minor, Op. 66 No. 4.

As a kid I use to attend concerts with my aunts and cousin. They bought season's tickets to the NJ Symphony Orchestra performances and they would always invite me along. Sometimes, there would be a guest pianist - and it was there that I was first introduced to Chopin's Impromptu.

I can't for the life of me remember who the pianist was - but the music transported me away to another world. It was there that I fell in love music from the Romantic era, and in particular, Chopin.

Now, whenver I want to be transported away from this world, I grab my CDs and play Chopin.

Someday I hope to play his Impromptu. Someday. . . . . .

Music is the voice of the heart.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission